Anyone getting annoying comments yet? - Mothering Forums
June 2010 > Anyone getting annoying comments yet?
Traceround's Avatar Traceround 04:14 AM 10-30-2009
I'm starting to get them primarily from my mother.

She was over yesterday helping me make dinner (because the smell of raw meat makes me gag) and I was sitting at the table peeling an orange for a snack.

She starts in with "You need to start eating more fruits and vegetables now. You can't just rely on starches to make healthy babies."

Umm...Mom? I don't eat starches but once or twice a week. My entire diet is comprised of fruits and salads and a few meats and dairy. I can't eat bread or things like that anyway.

She knows this. She also knows that I've been tanking down oranges and bananas like they are going out of style lately.

CorasMama's Avatar CorasMama 04:47 AM 10-30-2009
I've been getting a ton of comments about gender. Something like 5 of my friends are pressuring us to have a girl. I'm like, "dude, it's already determined, so shut it already!"
luv_my_babes's Avatar luv_my_babes 10:22 AM 10-30-2009
Tulafina's Avatar Tulafina 04:44 PM 10-30-2009
Yeah it has started here too. I've already been asked numerous time if I'm pregnant(I live in a small town).... I know that I'm showing way earlier this time around but come on! I think it's a bit rude seeing as some moms have a pooch......

So the last person that asked me this I just said " Uh no. Why?" And then I love to watch them squirm....

The few that I said yes to have immediatly started in on "I hope it's a girl for your sake!" I just say that my hubby is one of 4 boys so I think it would be cool to have the same They don't need to know that I want a girl.
caro113's Avatar caro113 07:08 PM 10-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_my_babes View Post
No too many comments yet as I have not told very many people. However my MIL refers to this baby as "her baby". For some reason this totally irks me!! I'm not sure of thats just pregnancy hormones though
It's definitely not a hormone thing. My mother did that from day one with my last pregnancy. I really feel it's her way of trying to take control of everything. By calling DD her baby, it was her way to control everything in my pregnancy. Horribly annoying. She still does it sometimes but I guess I flipped out on her enough times for her to finally stop.

In other news, I haven't really received any comments yet because I haven't really told anyone yet. But one reason I haven't told anyone is because of the comments. I don't want to hear that we got pregnant too soon or can't afford it or will have to move in with my parents bc we won't be able to afford rent. (Well let's see. I buy clothes from consignment shops and I have plenty of neutral clothes. All I need is a new car seat and I could get away with the infant seat for a while. I won't be using bottles and formula so exactly how is this baby going to cost that much money?)
LisaSedai's Avatar LisaSedai 12:05 AM 10-31-2009
Nope. Haven't told anyone yet.

Quote:
She starts in with "You need to start eating more fruits and vegetables now. You can't just rely on starches to make healthy babies."
?! You're right mom, but I can't get enough of these starchy non fruit oranges lately.
jannk's Avatar jannk 12:32 AM 10-31-2009
I really hate that people ask if I'm going to wait to tell others - or ask if I'm concerned about telling people so early because the part of the question they leave out is, "what if you have a miscarriage?" First of all, I don't want that negativity around me and, quite frankly, if that were to occur, I want those around me to know so I have a support system. And I've only told people who I consider close and supportive, but still, it's come up so often.
sharr610's Avatar sharr610 11:16 AM 10-31-2009
This is one of the reasons everytime I tell someone I regret it. Can't I just keep it a secret until baby arrives??!!
People are generally sweet, but I am so hormonally angry at the beginning of pregnancy, there is really little anyone can say that is right. Here's what I am tired of saying:

Yeah, we're trying to homebirth again, got a problem with that?

No, haven't been to the Dr. You know they have these things called "pregnancy tests" and after about 10 of them, I'm pretty sure there is something in there.

You know, thanks for the tip about my birth this time(I had a tough labor last time), but considering that its a full, oh, 8 months away at this point, I'm just going to cross that bridge when I get there, ok? And you know what, I might not need to be induced, did you ever consider that?

and the all too often...

Yeah, I feel fine, and if I don't, couldn't it just be that sketchy chinese food I ate last night?

Sorry, as I said the hormones make me SO b%$tchy.
Sihaya's Avatar Sihaya 11:54 AM 10-31-2009
We've pretty much told everyone, posted it on Facebook and all that and I've only gotten a few ridiculous comments so far.

My grandmother commented that at least we can have sex without being afraid of getting pg now Never mind that I'm on pelvic rest until the end of the first tri and, oh yeah, don't really want to discuss my sex life with you, grandma!

And my MIL (who I love and is generally very supportive) asked if I'll be seeing a doctor this time. Yeah, right, because after my beautiful, calm, peaceful, short, and virtually painless home waterbirth with a midwife, I really think I need to completely change my approach this time around.
luangwa's Avatar luangwa 01:48 PM 10-31-2009
When I told one of my co-workers, her response was, "Well, it was your choice to get pregnant, your choice to keep the baby, and your choice if you keep this job or not. But I'm not picking up your slack."

I was floored. But All I could think was, "It's not a choice to keep my baby. I don't murder people."
caro113's Avatar caro113 04:27 PM 10-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by luangwa View Post
When I told one of my co-workers, her response was, "Well, it was your choice to get pregnant, your choice to keep the baby, and your choice if you keep this job or not. But I'm not picking up your slack."

I was floored. But All I could think was, "It's not a choice to keep my baby. I don't murder people."
Does she work for totes?
Rothmom's Avatar Rothmom 05:41 PM 10-31-2009
I mopstly get the annoying comments from my DH. He thinks it's helpful, but really it just bugs me. Like mentioning that I need to keep up my fitness level, or be carful of what i'm eating, SO ANNOYING. Like I dont already know all of this stuff.
Litcrit's Avatar Litcrit 05:49 PM 10-31-2009
Not really annoying, just... ridiculously frequent and ummm...dumb:

I sent everyone I wanted to tell an SMS saying 'Ana (DD) is going to be a big sister'

I got tons of replies pretty much saying 'So, you already know it's gonna be another girl?'

Ummm... no... but I know our daughter is a girl... so she can only be a sister to the unborn creature of unknown gender, right?
texasfarmom's Avatar texasfarmom 06:21 PM 10-31-2009
Annoying comments....YES, and so frustrating right now! I'm even crying as I write this because I just don't know how to handle it. We haven't told very many people and everyone we told is very supportive, BUT my DH always says something hurtful: I have been exhausted, even right after I wake up in the morning and right after a nap. We farm and I do need to be helping my husband, but when he calls and asks me to come help I usually let him know how tired I am and his reply is always: "FROM WHAT?!" Well, excuse me! But, I am carrying your child, taking care of 95% of the household chores, AND helping on the farm. Some days (most days) I just can't do it all! And starting today I've felt a little bit of nausea, and I don't feel good if I get too hungry, and I don't feel good when I eat. I just can't win right now and it is very frustrating!
pacificbliss's Avatar pacificbliss 01:42 AM 11-01-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_my_babes View Post
No too many comments yet as I have not told very many people. However my MIL refers to this baby as "her baby". For some reason this totally irks me!! I'm not sure of thats just pregnancy hormones though

Oooh, I'm irritated just reading that. What do you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulafina View Post
Yeah it has started here too. I've already been asked numerous time if I'm pregnant(I live in a small town).... I know that I'm showing way earlier this time around but come on! I think it's a bit rude seeing as some moms have a pooch......

So the last person that asked me this I just said " Uh no. Why?" And then I love to watch them squirm....

The few that I said yes to have immediatly started in on "I hope it's a girl for your sake!" I just say that my hubby is one of 4 boys so I think it would be cool to have the same They don't need to know that I want a girl.
I always wonder about people who ask if you're pregnant? It's so rude. I never ask even when it's obvious. I find the comments about the sex of the baby infuriating too. I remember when I was pg with DS people would ask if we knew and if i said yes we are having a boy they would always have some add comment. No one just said, "congratulations" or "you must be so excited". It was always, "your husband must be so excited". Umm, he is, so am I and we would be for a girl too. Or, "I hope you get your girl with the next one". Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
We've pretty much told everyone, posted it on Facebook and all that and I've only gotten a few ridiculous comments so far.

My grandmother commented that at least we can have sex without being afraid of getting pg now Never mind that I'm on pelvic rest until the end of the first tri and, oh yeah, don't really want to discuss my sex life with you, grandma!

And my MIL (who I love and is generally very supportive) asked if I'll be seeing a doctor this time. Yeah, right, because after my beautiful, calm, peaceful, short, and virtually painless home waterbirth with a midwife, I really think I need to completely change my approach this time around.
Too funny...about your grandmother. As for MIL it always amazes me that people think the 30 minutes you get with an OB/pregnancy is essential.
Up