Anyone getting annoying comments yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter
 
Traceround's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting to get them primarily from my mother.

She was over yesterday helping me make dinner (because the smell of raw meat makes me gag) and I was sitting at the table peeling an orange for a snack.

She starts in with "You need to start eating more fruits and vegetables now. You can't just rely on starches to make healthy babies."

Umm...Mom? I don't eat starches but once or twice a week. My entire diet is comprised of fruits and salads and a few meats and dairy. I can't eat bread or things like that anyway.

She knows this. She also knows that I've been tanking down oranges and bananas like they are going out of style lately.

survivor. Missing my three miracles 12-30-09
Traceround is offline  
#2 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 03:47 AM
 
CorasMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Standing on my head
Posts: 2,425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been getting a ton of comments about gender. Something like 5 of my friends are pressuring us to have a girl. I'm like, "dude, it's already determined, so shut it already!"

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
CorasMama is offline  
#3 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 09:22 AM
 
luv_my_babes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No too many comments yet as I have not told very many people. However my MIL refers to this baby as "her baby". For some reason this totally irks me!! I'm not sure of thats just pregnancy hormones though
luv_my_babes is offline  
#4 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 03:44 PM
 
Tulafina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah it has started here too. I've already been asked numerous time if I'm pregnant(I live in a small town).... I know that I'm showing way earlier this time around but come on! I think it's a bit rude seeing as some moms have a pooch......

So the last person that asked me this I just said " Uh no. Why?" And then I love to watch them squirm....

The few that I said yes to have immediatly started in on "I hope it's a girl for your sake!" I just say that my hubby is one of 4 boys so I think it would be cool to have the same They don't need to know that I want a girl.

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

 

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

 

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

Tulafina is offline  
#5 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 06:08 PM
 
caro113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reinholds, PA
Posts: 1,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_my_babes View Post
No too many comments yet as I have not told very many people. However my MIL refers to this baby as "her baby". For some reason this totally irks me!! I'm not sure of thats just pregnancy hormones though
It's definitely not a hormone thing. My mother did that from day one with my last pregnancy. I really feel it's her way of trying to take control of everything. By calling DD her baby, it was her way to control everything in my pregnancy. Horribly annoying. She still does it sometimes but I guess I flipped out on her enough times for her to finally stop.

In other news, I haven't really received any comments yet because I haven't really told anyone yet. But one reason I haven't told anyone is because of the comments. I don't want to hear that we got pregnant too soon or can't afford it or will have to move in with my parents bc we won't be able to afford rent. (Well let's see. I buy clothes from consignment shops and I have plenty of neutral clothes. All I need is a new car seat and I could get away with the infant seat for a while. I won't be using bottles and formula so exactly how is this baby going to cost that much money?)

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
caro113 is offline  
#6 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 11:05 PM
 
LisaSedai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: De South
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope. Haven't told anyone yet.

Quote:
She starts in with "You need to start eating more fruits and vegetables now. You can't just rely on starches to make healthy babies."
?! You're right mom, but I can't get enough of these starchy non fruit oranges lately.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

LisaSedai is offline  
#7 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 11:32 PM
 
jannk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really hate that people ask if I'm going to wait to tell others - or ask if I'm concerned about telling people so early because the part of the question they leave out is, "what if you have a miscarriage?" First of all, I don't want that negativity around me and, quite frankly, if that were to occur, I want those around me to know so I have a support system. And I've only told people who I consider close and supportive, but still, it's come up so often.
jannk is offline  
#8 of 15 Old 10-31-2009, 10:16 AM
 
sharr610's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is one of the reasons everytime I tell someone I regret it. Can't I just keep it a secret until baby arrives??!!
People are generally sweet, but I am so hormonally angry at the beginning of pregnancy, there is really little anyone can say that is right. Here's what I am tired of saying:


Yeah, we're trying to homebirth again, got a problem with that?

No, haven't been to the Dr. You know they have these things called "pregnancy tests" and after about 10 of them, I'm pretty sure there is something in there.

You know, thanks for the tip about my birth this time(I had a tough labor last time), but considering that its a full, oh, 8 months away at this point, I'm just going to cross that bridge when I get there, ok? And you know what, I might not need to be induced, did you ever consider that?

and the all too often...


Yeah, I feel fine, and if I don't, couldn't it just be that sketchy chinese food I ate last night?


Sorry, as I said the hormones make me SO b%$tchy.

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
sharr610 is offline  
#9 of 15 Old 10-31-2009, 10:54 AM
 
Sihaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: In a brand new place all over again
Posts: 2,995
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
We've pretty much told everyone, posted it on Facebook and all that and I've only gotten a few ridiculous comments so far.

My grandmother commented that at least we can have sex without being afraid of getting pg now Never mind that I'm on pelvic rest until the end of the first tri and, oh yeah, don't really want to discuss my sex life with you, grandma!

And my MIL (who I love and is generally very supportive) asked if I'll be seeing a doctor this time. Yeah, right, because after my beautiful, calm, peaceful, short, and virtually painless home waterbirth with a midwife, I really think I need to completely change my approach this time around.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
Sihaya is offline  
#10 of 15 Old 10-31-2009, 12:48 PM
 
luangwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I told one of my co-workers, her response was, "Well, it was your choice to get pregnant, your choice to keep the baby, and your choice if you keep this job or not. But I'm not picking up your slack."

I was floored. But All I could think was, "It's not a choice to keep my baby. I don't murder people."

One means none, and we're home free. Two means three and a diamond ring.
luangwa is offline  
#11 of 15 Old 10-31-2009, 03:27 PM
 
caro113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reinholds, PA
Posts: 1,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luangwa View Post
When I told one of my co-workers, her response was, "Well, it was your choice to get pregnant, your choice to keep the baby, and your choice if you keep this job or not. But I'm not picking up your slack."

I was floored. But All I could think was, "It's not a choice to keep my baby. I don't murder people."
Does she work for totes?

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
caro113 is offline  
#12 of 15 Old 10-31-2009, 04:41 PM
 
Rothmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I mopstly get the annoying comments from my DH. He thinks it's helpful, but really it just bugs me. Like mentioning that I need to keep up my fitness level, or be carful of what i'm eating, SO ANNOYING. Like I dont already know all of this stuff.
Rothmom is offline  
#13 of 15 Old 10-31-2009, 04:49 PM
 
Litcrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not really annoying, just... ridiculously frequent and ummm...dumb:

I sent everyone I wanted to tell an SMS saying 'Ana (DD) is going to be a big sister'

I got tons of replies pretty much saying 'So, you already know it's gonna be another girl?'

Ummm... no... but I know our daughter is a girl... so she can only be a sister to the unborn creature of unknown gender, right?
Litcrit is offline  
#14 of 15 Old 10-31-2009, 05:21 PM
 
texasfarmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Amarillo, Texas
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Annoying comments....YES, and so frustrating right now! I'm even crying as I write this because I just don't know how to handle it. We haven't told very many people and everyone we told is very supportive, BUT my DH always says something hurtful: I have been exhausted, even right after I wake up in the morning and right after a nap. We farm and I do need to be helping my husband, but when he calls and asks me to come help I usually let him know how tired I am and his reply is always: "FROM WHAT?!" Well, excuse me! But, I am carrying your child, taking care of 95% of the household chores, AND helping on the farm. Some days (most days) I just can't do it all! And starting today I've felt a little bit of nausea, and I don't feel good if I get too hungry, and I don't feel good when I eat. I just can't win right now and it is very frustrating!

Catholic, SAHM, Married 6 yrs. , Miscarried Sept. '08 April '09 & Jan. '14, DD is 4, DS is 2-we had a wonderful , EDD early Jan, 2015! I'm also a first time foster mom to two unrelated girls. 
texasfarmom is offline  
#15 of 15 Old 11-01-2009, 01:42 AM
 
pacificbliss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 1,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_my_babes View Post
No too many comments yet as I have not told very many people. However my MIL refers to this baby as "her baby". For some reason this totally irks me!! I'm not sure of thats just pregnancy hormones though

Oooh, I'm irritated just reading that. What do you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulafina View Post
Yeah it has started here too. I've already been asked numerous time if I'm pregnant(I live in a small town).... I know that I'm showing way earlier this time around but come on! I think it's a bit rude seeing as some moms have a pooch......

So the last person that asked me this I just said " Uh no. Why?" And then I love to watch them squirm....

The few that I said yes to have immediatly started in on "I hope it's a girl for your sake!" I just say that my hubby is one of 4 boys so I think it would be cool to have the same They don't need to know that I want a girl.
I always wonder about people who ask if you're pregnant? It's so rude. I never ask even when it's obvious. I find the comments about the sex of the baby infuriating too. I remember when I was pg with DS people would ask if we knew and if i said yes we are having a boy they would always have some add comment. No one just said, "congratulations" or "you must be so excited". It was always, "your husband must be so excited". Umm, he is, so am I and we would be for a girl too. Or, "I hope you get your girl with the next one". Huh?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
We've pretty much told everyone, posted it on Facebook and all that and I've only gotten a few ridiculous comments so far.

My grandmother commented that at least we can have sex without being afraid of getting pg now Never mind that I'm on pelvic rest until the end of the first tri and, oh yeah, don't really want to discuss my sex life with you, grandma!

And my MIL (who I love and is generally very supportive) asked if I'll be seeing a doctor this time. Yeah, right, because after my beautiful, calm, peaceful, short, and virtually painless home waterbirth with a midwife, I really think I need to completely change my approach this time around.
Too funny...about your grandmother. As for MIL it always amazes me that people think the 30 minutes you get with an OB/pregnancy is essential.
pacificbliss is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off