Mothering Forum banner

Anyone who had gest. diabetes in their last pregnancy?

521 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jannk 
#1 ·
Hello!
I'm wondering if anyone else had gestational diabetes during a previous pregnancy. If so, are you already altering your diet? (what can I say, I love candy and tomorrow is Halloween, after all!)
Does anyone know the statistics of getting it again? I heard varying rates, the best being 50/50. Can it take effect immediately? I'm wondering because two things are happening: sweets are making my nauseous (which is actually a good incentive not to eat them, but still, IT'S HALLOWEEN!!!) and I am thirsty all day long even though I'm drinking gallons of water, literally.
Also, when I took the 3 hour test 3 years ago I got so violently ill for about 24 hours - more sick than I've ever been. I'm wondering if there are alternative options to testing.
Thanks!
Jodi

#2 ·
My sister had it with # 1 (very light case) but not with #2 or #3. If you want to check yourself, get a glucose monitor and some strips. Check you blood when you wake up (fasting) it should be under 105. Check it 2 hours after you eat and it should be 120 or less. I'm really thirsty all the time and I have type 2 diabeties on metformin. Good luck

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jannk View Post
Have you found anything to help quench your thirst?
Heh. Not really. Everything with sugar is out and I don't want to drink much artificial sweetener. I can tolerate unsweet iced tea alright, but don't want to drink too much caffiene. At least it's cold weather now, I can drink hot green tea, some of it tastes good without sweetener. Pretty much water for me. Have you found anything quenchy?

#6 ·
I had GD last time, failed the 3 hr GTT by 4 points. I have pretty much changed my diet since then (okay, quite a bit). I am now completely vegan, and really don't eat any refined whites (sugar, flour, rice, etc.)

I am hoping this time will go smoothly. I am planning a homebirth. My MW doesn't do the standard testing, though. She uses HgA1C testing (which provides more of a few month's average of blood glucose than 1 point in time) a few times during the pregnancy. We'll monitor using the blood glucose monitor if need be (I have actually been doing this a bit since I was pregnant last time anyhow, as much as we could afford).

It just really means a lot to me to be able to have this LO at home...so I'm giving it all I've got!

I hope no one ends up with GD the second time!!! I also hope you can find a way to quench your thirst...I can't stomach plain water either. I found a recipe on mothering.com somewhere for a "Pregnancy Pick Me Up," which is water, lemon juice, honey (I'm using stevia), salt, and a little Ca/Mg powder. It is really easy on the stomach and has helped me a bit.

#7 ·
I'm drinking seltzer w/ a few drops of lemon and OJ when I can stomach it. The other thing is ginger water - just boil water w/ some ginger root, let it cool to room temp and drink up. That's more because I'm nauseous all day. Other than that, I'm drinking a lot of water - gallons and still, my thirst persists. Oh, another thing that helps is this listerine breath spray and chewing mint gum (I do the sugarless but I don't like to use too much).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.