Help for getting my leafy greens down? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 11-01-2009, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 7w5d today and about three or four days ago nothing in the vegetable group started sounding good. I've tried a number of times to slowly eat a spinach salad and it's so hard.

very early on i was eating greens with no problems.

My only guess, other than the natural ebb and flow of symptoms and cravings is that the tea i'm drinking every day (red raspberry, nettle, oatstraw, red clover, alfalfa, rose hips, spearmint) has so much of the vitamins/minerals i need that i'm plenty full?? I also take prenatals.

anyway -- my question is -- can anyone recommend a great organic green drink that is heavy on veggies and light on fruit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 11-01-2009, 07:58 PM

Not exactly what you asked for, but the only way I get any greens down is by blending them in a berry smoothie. Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and bananas all do a good job of helping me choke down the greens. Very fruit heavy, but better than nothing

Mama to Noah and Sophie and Stella 7/4/ 2010
#3 of 21 Old 11-01-2009, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmullin View Post
I'm 7w5d today and about three or four days ago nothing in the vegetable group started sounding good. I've tried a number of times to slowly eat a spinach salad and it's so hard.

very early on i was eating greens with no problems.

My only guess, other than the natural ebb and flow of symptoms and cravings is that the tea i'm drinking every day (red raspberry, nettle, oatstraw, red clover, alfalfa, rose hips, spearmint) has so much of the vitamins/minerals i need that i'm plenty full?? I also take prenatals.

anyway -- my question is -- can anyone recommend a great organic green drink that is heavy on veggies and light on fruit?
I love Odwalla's superfood green machine drink. It tastes like peaches and it's packed with nutritious greens.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
#4 of 21 Old 11-01-2009, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Odwalla is good, I like Naked Juice best, also called Green Machine. I can't eat them either by the way.

"When one who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest!"
#5 of 21 Old 11-01-2009, 10:41 PM

Lots of spice and vinegar. Thats the only way I can do them these days. Or melted cheese on top.

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#6 of 21 Old 11-02-2009, 12:38 AM

No suggestions but I am so glad that I am not the only one. For some reason, fruit is o.k. but I can't stand most veg right now. I have had a couple of japanese salads but they are iceberg so not exactly full of vitamins and lots of peas with butter at dinner (again, not leafy greens). Why is it that when my body would most benefit from eating well, I can't face most of what I should be eating???
Thanks goodness for prenatals although I know that they aren't as healthy as getting the vitamins from my diet.
#7 of 21 Old 11-02-2009, 01:31 AM

It is only going to be for another month or so, most likely...many people believe that m/s protects the baby from possible harm from parasites or bacteria in foods, etc. So generally listening to your body is OK!

However, I think many times it is more about a texture issue and there are work arounds.

So if you can't do the spinach, maybe it is because it is not very firm/crunchy...spinach leaves are quite textured. So I would go for something like Romaine hearts...and if you aren't buying it premade and dry/crunchy, make and wash it ahead of time so it can be dry and crunchy, not wet and floppy. Green leaf is pretty textured too. I don't necessarily like the smell, but I do enjoy making coleslaw (esp since we can't eat deli made)...and it is good for an upset tummy. Sometimes I use the coleslaw as my veggies in stir fry...which is another way to get your greens in.

Just figure out what DOES sound good...I am all about the sweet potato fries and yam roll sushi. YUM. That's not a green, but at least a veggie!!!

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#8 of 21 Old 11-02-2009, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

It's so helpful to know i'm not the only one. I've been feeling like a bad mama already All i want is refried beans, cheese, chicken salad, and grapes.

the texture idea is an interesting one. dry and crunchy might be really helpful. I picked up some of the green drinks today.
#9 of 21 Old 11-02-2009, 12:56 PM

I've had an aversion to cooked vegetables for a few weeks now. It feels like I'm eating less healthfully than ever before! It feels like my diet is mostly carbs (and some fruit). The Odwalla and Naked juice ideas are great.
#10 of 21 Old 11-02-2009, 04:49 PM

The weird thing is that I can eat green veggies as long as they are super spicy. (Last week I ate broccoli but only because it was smothered in green curry sauce.)

It's odd because you would think that a strong taste would be bad with a m/s stomach - (also - from an evolutionary standpoint, strong spicy foods would mask "bad" food - the kind your body is programmed to reject. Yet the only thing I want is spicy. Indian. Thai. CHILI. Yum.)

But bottom line - the baby will get all it needs from you - I think as long as you're taking your prenatals don't worry about forcing it down. In a month or so it probably won't be so bad.

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#11 of 21 Old 11-02-2009, 05:24 PM

Same here. Last night Dh cooked dinner and he made green beans with cooked spinach. Blach! I tried to eat it but the sweet potatoes won.

I love the Naked green drink. I like to put kale in my smoothies. You cant even tell.

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10
#12 of 21 Old 11-02-2009, 05:58 PM

Yes I agree with the previous posters - my veggies need to be either dipped in something or smothered in some sort of sauce or cheese.
#13 of 21 Old 11-02-2009, 08:56 PM

Hopefully I'm not mentioning another food aversion....but bacon and sausage sound delicious to me ALL the time right now. So I'm making this really great sausage/kale soup. It's similar to the Zuppa Toscana at Olive Garden. Anyway, it has kale in it, but the sausage and bacon flavor takes away any gross greens taste...I could eat huge bowls of the stuff all day long. Google "Zuppa Toscana recipe" and several come up.

#14 of 21 Old 11-03-2009, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Swiss chard is pretty amazing if you slice it thinly, put it on to boil for 3 mins, then drain and cover in Parmesan cheese. Unbelievably yummy.

Living happily and embracing adventures.
#15 of 21 Old 11-03-2009, 03:11 AM

Kale is also delicious roasted in the oven with a sprinkling of extra virgin olive oil and kosher salt.

survivor. Missing my three miracles 12-30-09
#16 of 21 Old 11-03-2009, 06:53 PM

My midwife recommends a blend in- Perfect Berry? It is at www.appleaday.com I think.. where I live fresh produce every day is pretty cost prohibitive, so add this stuff to your drink and it replaces the veggies for the day..

So I bought it, and added it to a light juice.. BLECH. I couldn't get past the gag reflex. First it made my juice so incredibly green- think pond scum green. THEN, I read the box a little further and it says to "work up" to a full scoop by starting with a half or quarter scoop. Um, DUH.

Next time I will skip the juice altogether and go straight to smoothies.
#17 of 21 Old 11-04-2009, 02:15 AM

I used to be a serious greens eater--my favorite food maybe. But I fell off the wagon. The best solution I found was soup. I also had an unreasonable soup craving last week, so after some not great canned stuff, I buckled down and made a big pot of homemade soup. Chopped kale, red beans, potatoes, carrots and celery. It was actually really easy and incredibly good. It's tomato based so that sweetened everything up and the greens are going down easy. Plus it's a great way to get plenty of liquids in a meal (I've been absurdly thristy this past week).

I recommend Mark Bittmans How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. The man can make bulgar sound appetizing, so he definitely knows what he's doing.
#18 of 21 Old 11-10-2009, 03:09 AM

My favorite way ever to eat kale is in Colcannon. You can google a colcannon recipe, but it is basically potatoes, kale (some recipes call for cabbage), butter, and sometimes bacon. If you cut up the kale nice and small, then you whip it in with the potatoes it is so good!!! I could eat if for three meals a day.
#19 of 21 Old 11-10-2009, 05:19 PM

Just the thought of greens make my stomach churn Most other veggies have been ok, but I can't get excited about them and I'm usually a veggie lovin gal! The worst part is that I talked my husband into us trying this great localvore winter CSA share...it has lots of yummy things in it, but is pretty heavy on all sorts of unusual greens, cabbages, etc....and now it is all sitting going to waste in my fridge. I'm going to try to pass some off to friends tomorrow.
#20 of 21 Old 11-10-2009, 05:20 PM

I have done really well with Caesar salads and with those salads that have mandarin oranges in them.. maybe it is because I am focusing my eyeballs on the fruit or olive slices.
#21 of 21 Old 11-11-2009, 06:27 PM

Oh, and last night I had lasagna with spinach in it. Seriously it didn't taste like spinach.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page