Even my children stink! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-17-2009, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seriously. My sense of smell went into overdrive the week (9th). I had thought that it was intensified before, but this is ridiculous! I can't cuddle with my girls for long because I can't handle their smell. Cooking is absolutely impossible because the smell of any food cooking makes me want to head for the hills. I can't even talk about the cat's litter box. My own clothes are nauseating but I am sure if I just ran about naked I would soon find my own skin offensive.

Anybody else?

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

#2 of 14 Old 11-17-2009, 03:07 PM

Me too on the smell thing. I have lemon hand soap, and the smell was so strong to me today - I haven't ever noticed it today. I thought - really? Lemon soap? How is that possibly annoying?
But it was!

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#3 of 14 Old 11-17-2009, 03:08 PM

i have been just slightly more sensitive to smells, but my husband has been turning me off lately! he always tries to kiss me when he's eating or after meals. :P he had some wine the other night and he smelled like beer to me for a day.

Jese Mom to Elaina (April 2007) & Macy (June 2010). #3 m/c at 10 weeks (July 2013), #4 m/c at 9 weeks (october 2013). Expecting again! Due October 22/2014.
#4 of 14 Old 11-17-2009, 03:59 PM

Yep. During my last pregnancy, my ds smelled like raw beef to me. No idea why, but even right after he took a bath, brushed his teeth, everything, the smell still made my stomach turn. Funny thing is that he's not a beef eater at all. He'll maybe eat a cheeseburger or taco, but he doesn't really care for beef.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#5 of 14 Old 11-17-2009, 04:26 PM

isn't it amazing how all our senses are heightened when we are about to be parents (again)? suppose that's so we can sense our little ones, smell them, just KNOW if something is off or a need is not being met...I"m not enjoying the lighter sleeping! every little thing.....guess it's just getting us use to being 'in tuned' with yet another human, in a very intimate way really

wife since 1992; mom to: J 7-95; H 5-98; C 2-03; S 4-05; Micah Zachary born still UC 4-08; UM 9-08; due June 2010
#6 of 14 Old 11-17-2009, 05:03 PM

Got the super sniffer here!

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10
#7 of 14 Old 11-17-2009, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Ha, ha, I love the hubby that smells like raw meat story.
That would be a rough smell to sleep next to. I have to build a "wall" with a pillow between my DH and myself because his normal breath is overwhelming to me now.

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

#8 of 14 Old 11-17-2009, 06:19 PM

DDC crashing from July...

I was reading to DS on the couch first thing this morning, and had to actually get up, wash his hands and face and re-brush his teeth because I couldn't figure out why he smelled. After all that, he was still smelly.
#9 of 14 Old 11-17-2009, 07:09 PM

My DH loves garlic. And oniony flavors. He has cut back a lot since we got married 2 years ago, because I'm not big on the smell coming through his pores at night (ugh)... but since I got PG, its like no matter what he eats he smells like garlic to me. I've been making him wash his face before bed!

Quote:
he always tries to kiss me when he's eating or after meals
So true... please do not try to kiss me after you've eaten Italian salad dressing. REALLY! Do you want to turn me on or make me puke?

Today I could smell my parents' dog's breath when I was standing up and he was a good foot or two away! So yeah, I've always had a sensitive smeller - but it gets into overdrive when PG. I remember with DD my Mom couldn't open their dishwasher when I was over. The wet/damp smell made me so nauseous!

This too shall pass....

Lis ~ Married to my favorite boy partners.gif and raising "our" three ~
DS 14 (hisjammin.gif ~ DD 9 (mineloveeyes.gif ~ toddlerDS 2! (ours) bouncy.gif

#10 of 14 Old 11-17-2009, 07:22 PM

Smells are getting to me bad. I can't cook anything because the smell of any raw meat is totally making me gag. I can't handle eggs either. Poor DH is left to fend for himself every night when he gets home because I am so danged tired that I am usually asleep by then.

I haven't been able to eat much of anything either and so I've not prepared anything for myself for dinner.

survivor. Missing my three miracles 12-30-09
#11 of 14 Old 11-17-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisko15 View Post
My DH loves garlic. And oniony flavors. He has cut back a lot since we got married 2 years ago, because I'm not big on the smell coming through his pores at night (ugh)... but since I got PG, its like no matter what he eats he smells like garlic to me. I've been making him wash his face before bed!

So true... please do not try to kiss me after you've eaten Italian salad dressing. REALLY! Do you want to turn me on or make me puke?

Today I could smell my parents' dog's breath when I was standing up and he was a good foot or two away! So yeah, I've always had a sensitive smeller - but it gets into overdrive when PG. I remember with DD my Mom couldn't open their dishwasher when I was over. The wet/damp smell made me so nauseous!

This too shall pass....
Italian dressing breath is one of the worst

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#12 of 14 Old 11-18-2009, 09:43 AM

a smell actually woke me up the other day - never thought that could happen. And for a while I could not stomach my own smell! Even after a shower, etc. One suggestion; finding a smell that does not cause upset and dab it just under your nose - a perfume, essential oil, lemon juice mixed in a carrier oil, or whatever works for you.
#13 of 14 Old 11-18-2009, 10:34 AM

Ha! I didn't put two and two together, but my sense of smell is definitely stronger, too.

I noticed I could smell my three year olds breath the other day. He wanted to kiss me and I was totally grossed out. And the cat pan is in the garage right off the kitchen and while I'm eating I can smell it. It's totally grossing me out, but I assumed they were using it more or something.

Forgot all about the hyper-active nose!

#14 of 14 Old 11-18-2009, 12:51 PM

Oh man! Right there with ya! I've been doing some daycare for my 4 nephews these past couple months and the smell at their house makes me want to hurl. They have a strong smell to them to begin with but pregnancy makes it totally unbearable.

They had my son on an overnight and he lost his shirt and had to borrow one of theirs. I told him to go change right when he walked in the door, I could smell it from the couch!

Heidi in Utah

Heidi, Married to my sweetheart of 13 yrs Kristopher, Mommy of 7 yr old Kairo, Expecting our sweet little girl Penelope 6/26/2010!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page