Mothering Forum banner

baby name Opinion.....Cash

8K views 38 replies 37 participants last post by  Onthetrail 
#1 ·
Way early for baby name talks, I know, but I am just curious. We loved that name from last year, but dd was a girl, so obviously out
We brought it back to the list for this baby. My parents hate it, and we get mixed feelings from friends. Of course it's associated with money, but there are so many other names associated with everyday things (Bill, Chance, Mark, etc). Am I crazy, or is this name cute??? We were thinking Cash Michael or Cash Milo

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds tawdry and tacky to me. No shaking the money association.

I don't agree that it's in the same category as Bill (derived from the actual name William) or Mark, which is also a traditional name. Chance I'm not sure of - are people actually using that for a child's name?

To me, there is no other association for Cash than money. Or the last name, as in Johnny Cash, but the only possible reason I can think of for choosing that is if he were a relative of yours.

Sorry.

#3 ·
I don't really have an opinion on the name Cash, but wanted to let you know I have a friend who has a DD named Kashlee. Of course you can spell it many different ways, but it works for a girl!

#7 ·
Makes me think of Johnny Cash.

I have a friend who calls her son Cash even though that isn't his given name. I'm not a fan of nicknames as given names. It sounds cute as a baby and a toddler to be called a cute nickname but picturing the same name on a 45 year old lawyer or whatever just sounds strange.

But that is me. DH and I are into very traditional names with long histories. Most of the names on our name list are from the Bible. Not because we are particularly religious (we aren't) but because they have been around for so long and haven't gone out of style.

#9 ·
I'm not in your due date club but I saw this from the front page and wanted to lend some support. I thinkCash Milo is super cute! It doesn't make me think of money at all. One of my favorite novels has a great character named Cash in it - he is named after Johnny, think.

Friends and family were about 50/50 love-hate for our yds's name (which isn't even unusual, just not very common) but we loved it and we still do, and no one ever said a thing once he was here. SO I say go with what you love.

#11 ·
Glad to hear some like it! I love it....LOVE it. The ONLY thing that deterred me was family "forbidding" it. They know that I will not listen, but it still pains me to know they hate it that much.

The middle names, Michael is after my dad and Milo is a mix of both our dads... Michael and Lorenzo. Forst 2 letters of each name
We contemplated that as a first name(Milo) also, but I just keep going back to Cash. Something cute, yet strong and masculine about it, and I have never once thought of money. Funny enough, there is the MOST adorable little onsie i found when googling the name. it's a black newborn onsie that says "I crawl the Line" LOL!!! How cute!

#12 ·
My son's name is Ash and one of the hard of hearing check-out ladies at our grocery store has decided his name is Cash and has been calling him that since he was a newborn. I think it's cute but I love Johnny Cash. DH hates it, it reminds him of money.

#13 ·
It's cute, but it's too trendy. I know so many kids named Cash. I noticed it exploded in popularity when the Man In Black passed BUT only after he passed.

ASH is a really cool name.

#15 ·
i love it, and if my last daughter was a boy, she was going to be Cash Mitchell in honor of my two favorite singers, johnny cash and joni mitchell.

forget the naysayers and go with what you love, if you love cash, then use it! I love the name, and in my area of the country, its not trendy at all.

#16 ·
I do not like it at all. I find it kind of...cheap. (no pun intended).

However, I do not think it falls into the "do not ever name your child that unless you want to scar them for life" category (not even close), so if you really like it and still like it when you give birth then it's an absolutely acceptable name to give your child.

#23 ·
I like it I have a friend whose son's name is Cash but she spells it Kash. I think its nice its short to the point and reminds me of Johnny Cash. Just remember its your child and everyone is going to have an opinion. My family all hated my kids names when I first said them but as soon as they say them with at name for a day or two it just stuck and I couldn't imagine them having any other name.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ani'smommy View Post
I'm due date crashing here, but I didn't get a money association at all. It reminds me of Cassius Clay. Could you make Cash a nickname?
ooooh...wouldn't this be a great compromise? cassius? cash could be a totally acceptable short for it (you can call him cash all the tiem) and still fit him when he's 40.

i still like just cash though too.

#25 ·
Not a fan of the name and wouldn't like to have people all my life saying excuse me? OH that's interesting. But as previous posters have already said it is your choice and only you can know.

Probably a cultrual thing, but I can only picture the name being used in the USA.

#26 ·
Man, you guys are a tough DDC to please!!
I really like the name Cash! And it makes me think of Johnny, not money. My girls are August and Liberty, so we have unconventional names over here, and my family was not too thrilled at first, but they all seem to like the names now! Forget what others say, name your baby something YOU love!

P.S. my vote for middle name is Milo, and I love the sweet meaning behind it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.