your thoughts on sushi? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-05-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
*J*

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that sushi is generally on the no-no list during pregnancy, but I'm craving it desperately! What do you all think? Is sushi one of those things that americans are just paranoid about, or does it represent a real danger?
I'll admit that I drink raw milk and plan to continue doing so throughout pregnancy, so I'm comfortable ignoring conventional wisdom's dietary guidelines when I don't think there's good reason behind them.
Any thoughts?

Enjoying nine years of wedded bliss and (finally!) expecting our very first little one... nope, make that two! June 2010
#2 of 15 Old 12-05-2009, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think it's a personal choice. I limit the amount I eat because of mercury concerns, since spicy tuna roll is my sushi of choice. I've eaten sushi throughout my previous 3 pregnancies and continue to do so during this one, I just add a little more variety to my selection out of concern for mercury levels. In fact, we're going out for sushi tonight to celebrate our anniversary that was earlier this week.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#3 of 15 Old 12-05-2009, 04:57 PM

I too feel comfortable eating sushi throughout my pregnancy and like Red Sonja I just limit the high mercury fish. I eat prawn, salmon, eel, mackerel, scallops and occasionally I'll have tuna. I also have dynamite rolls, yam rolls, vegie rolls etc to mix it up. I have never been sick from sushi, and I eat at a very high end reputable sushi restaurant so I'm not worried in the slightest. I ate sushi during both my other pregnancies and never had a problem. I personally am more worried about eating highly processed foods.
Take Care and if you decide to go for the sushi- ENJOY!

Julie

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#4 of 15 Old 12-05-2009, 05:13 PM

ditto to all of the above. Actually just had some for lunch. Yum-my!!! Do it!

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#5 of 15 Old 12-05-2009, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I just told my husband that after surgery, as soon as I'm able to get in the car and sit in a chair to eat, we are so going out for some good sushi. I crave it so bad.

I also drink raw milk and avoid processed foods and most sugar.

Living happily and loving it!
#6 of 15 Old 12-05-2009, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
*J*

Thanks for all the encouragement! I ordered some take-out from one of my favorite sushi places and loved every bite!
It was so deeply satisfying, in that way that things are when you've been craving them intensely...

Enjoying nine years of wedded bliss and (finally!) expecting our very first little one... nope, make that two! June 2010
#7 of 15 Old 12-06-2009, 01:35 PM

My Ob said no sushi but all I want is a California Roll. Are they *really* sushi?

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#8 of 15 Old 12-06-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
*J*

I could be wrong, but aren't california rolls made with cooked crab? You could call the restaurant and ask what they use for theirs, but if it's cooked I'd think it would eliminate your OB's objections.

#9 of 15 Old 12-06-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSedai View Post
My Ob said no sushi but all I want is a California Roll. Are they *really* sushi?
DDC Crashing here, because OBs telling women to kill entire categories of food for no good reason is a big peeve of mine.

"Sushi" is rice seasoned with salt, sugar, and vinegar. Unless you have other reasons to be watching salt or sugar, there's nothing in there that's dangerous.

As for a California Roll, listeria has been linked, on maybe one or two occasions, to cooked imitation crabmeat. So, it depends on how comfortable you are with that risk. (Listeria has also been found in pasteurized milk, hummus, bagged shredded processed cheese, bagged lettuce, bean sprouts, mushrooms, and I've received advice to avoid anything that comes cold and ready-to-eat. Um, yeah, good luck with that.)

The rest of the ingredients--avocado, cucumber--are fine, although I know some OBs will warn you off of anything prepared at a sushi counter "just to be safe," because the raw and the cooked are handled right there and you never know.

FWIW, I have eaten shrimp tempura roll--with spicy mayo, which even though it's been pasteurized is probably a risk for something.

Strangely, I have never once been asked if I ever fail to wear a seatbelt while in the car, which I would assume is a much bigger risk to both me and the baby than an occasional sliver of deli ham.

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#10 of 15 Old 12-06-2009, 08:31 PM

I eat a ton of sushi and did last time around too. In Japan women are not told not to eat sushi! I take the advice (and my food) with a pinch of salt!
#11 of 15 Old 12-06-2009, 11:13 PM

I think the rule perpetuates the misnomer. NOt all sushi is made from raw fish...
#12 of 15 Old 12-07-2009, 06:38 AM

In Japan, the fish tends to be much fresher then in other parts of the world. The risk isn't from the fish itself, but from how long it has been sitting around. Not all sushi is raw, but it is all prepared in the same place. Eating sushi, raw or not, is not without risk. I would only have it from places that you know is reputable & I wouldn't buy prepared sushi rolls from a shelf of a grocery store.

Mom of 5: dd (10), ds (8) & dd2 (4), my sweet baby son born still 3/2/09, and celebrating the arrival of our dd 5/7/10.
#13 of 15 Old 12-07-2009, 05:14 PM

I conceived in Japan last time and lived there through most of my pregnancy, so I totally didn't stay away from the most DELICIOUS yumminess ever.

Having said that, sushi in the states is WAY different for the most part. I do eat sushi, but I am SUPER choosey on my venue. It is totally a personal choice since you are taking "risks". You take risks anytime you eat out though. Most eateries are going to feed you the lowest grade meat/veggies they can find. If it seems like you're getting a deal, stay away!

food is my favorite is my sweetie, papa to 8/07 due 6/10 10yo no eggs yet!
#14 of 15 Old 12-07-2009, 08:50 PM

I eat vegetarian sushi even while not pg and there are two nearby establishments that I trust - I feel totally fine consuming cucumber roll, yam roll, avocado roll, tofu roll, etc that are vegetarian. Anywhere that has proper health standards wouldn't be a concern because no one should be mixing utensils or prep areas used with fish or meat with those of other ingredients. All I could eat in the first tri with #4 was yam roll and miso soup! Every day!

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#15 of 15 Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 PM

I totally craved sushi during my first 2 pregnancies!! it hasn't happened with this one yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time!

I am pretty risk averse, so I avoided any sushi made with raw fish - but I ate a ton of cooked and veggie rolls. For what ever reason, I was obsessed with wasabi too - couldn't get enough. I ate a lot of udon soup too - it helped satisfy the cravings :-)

SAHM to my and and due in summer 2010, married to my best friend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page