The name game... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-13-2009, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I need some objective opinions!

Baby names: I love love love Ramona Lynn B. and Caleb Randall B. I also like Lydia Karen and Kara Lynn and maybe Noah Randall. Randall is after DH's dad, Lynn after my mom, Karen/Kara after DH's mom. DH says he likes Ramona but not w/our last name due to the long Os (it sounds like "bone") ...same with Caleb as he says you can't end a name with a B since our last name starts w/a B. I say that's ridiculous and they sound great! What do you all think?

Part of DH's prejudice/snobbery is that he helped name about 7 younger siblings so he's got these strict rules in his mind from childhood about how it's done. But so far he's not willing to spend time coming up with names he likes. He just likes to veto mine. I really think my top two sound great and I need some objective opinions about how the names sound when you say them.

I was going to wait till after surgery to post this to make sure we're still having this baby, but I need something fun to distract me for these last few days so I don't get too nervous.

Living happily and embracing adventures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dh sounds like your dh-he'd veto any name I threw out there and then not have any other options. Finally I asked him to make a list of 10 names of each and then we'd have a starting place to work from. It made me feel better!

Of course, I am a fan of Noah! As for your top two-I like Caleb but I understand the first and last name running together problem. Our last name starts with a K and dh vetoed Jake, Luke, etc...because of how they sound together. Our last name also has an "e" sound at the end and I thought I'd hate how Sophie and our last name sound together, but in the end it has been no big deal. It is just how it is. Go for the first names you love-I think the rest sort of fades away after the baby is born.

Mama to Noah and Sophie and Stella 7/4/ 2010
Old 12-13-2009, 12:33 PM

IMHO
Ya know, I figure it is only fair that the woman has ultimate naming rights. I mean, I wouldn't give the baby the name of DH's ex girlfriend who broke his heart and stomped it flat or the bully that beat him up in highschool - and I would certainly consider any names he particularly loved (as well as nix any he absolutly hated). Some may say that the baby is 50% his, so the name decsion should be also but the way I look at it it's like the chicken and the pig's contibution to breakfast ( the chicken gives the eggs, but the pig is the bacon!) The risk is all ours, we deserve the reward of naming darnit.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

Old 12-13-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSedai View Post
IMHO
Ya know, I figure it is only fair that the woman has ultimate naming rights. I mean, I wouldn't give the baby the name of DH's ex girlfriend who broke his heart and stomped it flat or the bully that beat him up in highschool - and I would certainly consider any names he particularly loved (as well as nix any he absolutly hated). Some may say that the baby is 50% his, so the name decsion should be also but the way I look at it it's like the chicken and the pig's contibution to breakfast ( the chicken gives the eggs, but the pig is the bacon!) The risk is all ours, we deserve the reward of naming darnit.
My sister says that since the baby will get her husband's last name, she should be able to pick the first name! Although that doesn't really help the argument if someone has kept her maiden name.

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

Old 12-13-2009, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

I'm afraid you ladies aren't answering my question. I guess I didn't ask it right. It's about how the names sound. Is he right, or am I?

Say them out loud a few times:

Ramona Bone

Caleb Bone

I don't think the Bs run together at all, personally. And I don't see anything wrong with the long O sound in both first and last name. I think they flow nicely. I see how Ramon Bone would be bad, but Ramona is fine to my ears, at least. But what do you ladies think?

Old 12-13-2009, 08:38 PM

I like the sound of Ramona Bone; it has a good rhythm to it. Plus, it makes me think of Ramona Quimby, the favorite book of my youth. Caleb, however, I do hear the Bs running together -- sorry. Unless you are perfectly enunciating the bs and their pause in between, it comes out as calebone.

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:11 PM

I'm afraid Ramona Bone would be a tease-able name in public schools. My poor sister got picked on for her name so I always have that in the back of my mind for better or worse.

I liked Caleb until I read what the other poster wrote...she's right, it can be kinda slurred together.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

Old 12-14-2009, 06:40 PM

I think they both work! I don't have the issue of the b's running together. That's just me.

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10
Old 12-15-2009, 10:14 PM

I think they are both ok. I actually think that Ramona Bone sounds quite good.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
Old 12-16-2009, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, ladies! It seems everyone has a different opinion, which tells me that the names are not terrible, at least. I'm trying to come up with more names I like, since DH just won't budge. I am starting to like Savannah, and Kara is still in. DH likes Kara. He doesn't seem to like Noah or Josiah much. Wesley is a possibility. I told him to make a list of names he likes. He mentioned Edward, but I'm not a fan, esp w/the Twilight craze right now, as it will probably be really popular.

I think I can let go of Ramona...but I still love the name Caleb. It'll probably be much easier to pick a name after we find out the gender.

Again, thanks for your opinions!

Old 12-16-2009, 04:52 PM

I do hear the B's running together. I had to decide against Isaac because our last name starts with a C and it sounded horrible! I am however considering Caleb for a boys name (but spelling it Caeleb). How crazy would it be if we both had Caleb's. It's not a very popular name.

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 02:07 PM

The Bs in Caleb Bone definitely run together, in my opinion. If it's not perfectly enunciated, it sounds like Kayla Bone to my ear.

I'm sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

Rhiannon (33), writer and grad student. Miscarriages in 5/08, 3/09, and 7/09.  Deliriously happy mom to DD (10 mos), 8 weeks premature and miracle baby.  Remembering her twin brother, lost 5/10 to pulmonary hypoplasia after PPROM (preterm premature rupture of membranes).
Old 12-23-2009, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

I think I really hope we have a girl. I just can't seem to find a boy's name I like as well as Caleb. Even DH and his family really like it, if it wasn't for the two Bs and most of them agree the two Bs in this case isn't terrible. He could always go by his middle name Randall if he didn't like it when he got older. Myself, I think it has a nice ring and to me, it is a lot easier to pronounce, for example than my first and maiden name. I was Anna French, and people always thought it was Emma Finch. Or Annie Fritch. I hated it.

Recently I came across the name Sarina for a girl. I think I really love it. Ran it past DH briefly, and he liked it too. So maybe Sarina Karen.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:56 PM

Sarina is cute!

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:26 AM

I like Ramona Bone but I am toying with lots of those rhyming kind of things myself with our last name and a lot of people nix it (not that I care if I ever find something I really like). I also agree that the B sounds with Caleb run together. Isn't Caleb a really REALLY popular name right now? I love it but I think it's the new Katelyn for boys. I guess though that a lot of people would go for something popular over something that rhymes . I also like Calen for a boy... that could go with a "B" name...

User Tag List