Spotting at 14 weeks... but strong heartbeat! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-31-2009, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys,

I had absolutely NO spotting until 13.5 weeks. Then all of a sudden, I noticed quite a bit of rust-colored blood in the toilet after a BM. I didn't strain at all, so I was really shocked. It tapered off to a brown mucousy discharge which was there every time I wiped and thoroughly stained several panty liners. Anyway, I called my midwife and she said to come in right away. She found a strong heartbeat with the dopplar almost immediately (despite my retroverted uterus), so I was pretty relieved. I'm trying my best to think positively. Isn't hearing a good heartbeat at this point a good thing? She also checked my cervix and said it was closed and could see no sign of bleeding. Three days later, there's still occasional light brown mucous, mostly when I wipe. Sometimes if I cough or dry-heave, it actually gushes out a little. Sorry for the TMI.

My last pregnancy was a missed m/c. I had started spotting at 9 weeks but didn't actually miscarry until 12 weeks. The 10-wk u/s had revealed no heartbeat and that baby likely hadn't developed past 7 weeks.

So this current pregnancy, I'm much farther along and am hoping that the presence of a strong heartbeat (at almost 14 weeks) means things are ok. The midwife didn't seem that concerned about it. She said spotting is quite common. Does anyone think I should get an u/s to check for things like placenta previa? Or should I just assume that this will go away completely?

I have also had some light cramping and lower back pain yesterday, but figured that could also be due to a growing uterus. Am I freaking out unnecessarily?

Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Reassurances welcome, too! :-)

Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 12-31-2009, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommies_2_be View Post
Hi guys,

I had absolutely NO spotting until 13.5 weeks. Then all of a sudden, I noticed quite a bit of rust-colored blood in the toilet after a BM. I didn't strain at all, so I was really shocked. It tapered off to a brown mucousy discharge which was there every time I wiped and thoroughly stained several panty liners. Anyway, I called my midwife and she said to come in right away. She found a strong heartbeat with the dopplar almost immediately (despite my retroverted uterus), so I was pretty relieved. I'm trying my best to think positively. Isn't hearing a good heartbeat at this point a good thing? She also checked my cervix and said it was closed and could see no sign of bleeding. Three days later, there's still occasional light brown mucous, mostly when I wipe. Sometimes if I cough or dry-heave, it actually gushes out a little. Sorry for the TMI.

My last pregnancy was a missed m/c. I had started spotting at 9 weeks but didn't actually miscarry until 12 weeks. The 10-wk u/s had revealed no heartbeat and that baby likely hadn't developed past 7 weeks.

So this current pregnancy, I'm much farther along and am hoping that the presence of a strong heartbeat (at almost 14 weeks) means things are ok. The midwife didn't seem that concerned about it. She said spotting is quite common. Does anyone think I should get an u/s to check for things like placenta previa? Or should I just assume that this will go away completely?

I have also had some light cramping and lower back pain yesterday, but figured that could also be due to a growing uterus. Am I freaking out unnecessarily?

Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Reassurances welcome, too! :-)

Thanks!
It can't hurt to go in for an ultrasounds and see if they can pinpoint the bleeding, but it definitely could be nothing.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#3 of 6 Old 12-31-2009, 05:11 PM

You should not be concerned at all by brown spotting. Brown means that is old blood, from something that happened perhaps weeks ago. It may something as silly as your cervix that bleed a bit while tightening up for the pregnancy or previous scar tissue streching. Getting ultrasounds and such at this point is unnecessary, especially with a strong heartbeat. If the bleeding turns red or becomes very persistent, then an ultrasound to check for fibroids, hematomas and other things such as previa (keep in mind that placentas move as your uterius stretches) might be warranted.

On the other hand, if you are very worried and cannot stop stressing yourself, you could consider an ultrasound. You would have to think about whether or not it would truly alleviate your stress or end up increasing it or having any other negative effects on your pregnancy.

A reasonnable thing to do, IMO, for cases such as this one is to give yourself a timeline (say 2 weeks). If you are still very concerned about this particular thing after that time passes, you can decide to investigate further. You'll notice that in most cases, the worry will be long gone 2 weeks later.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#4 of 6 Old 12-31-2009, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, soso-lynn. That's good advice. I've actually got my next midwife appointment (16 weeks) scheduled in two weeks. So I think I'll try to sit tight until then. I'd like to hold off on that first u/s until 18-19 weeks.

I just wish I weren't so sick to boot. I'm still throwing up 4-6 times a day (down from 8-10!). Arggh! I sure hope this m/s will be gone in two weeks, too! :-)
#5 of 6 Old 12-31-2009, 07:29 PM

FWIW - I had a yeast infection last week - and had a small amount of pinkish discharge - dr. said it was very common and even the irritation of the infection and/or the meds could have done it.

But agreed with the pp who said if it's still bugging you - get the u/s after a certain time!

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#6 of 6 Old 01-01-2010, 10:51 PM

I wonder if you burst a blood vessel in your cervix from all the vomiting? I would definitely be very reassured by the HB.

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page