Cosleeping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-02-2010, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!
Right now we cosleep with our very-active-sleeper (4yr old son). He is all over the place while sleeping and can be a bit noisy. I am trying to figure out how to handle sleeping for baby #2. We have a king size bed. My son sleeps between my husband and I (otherwise he'd fall off) and takes up most of the bed. I don't feel comfortable having the baby b/w me and the edge of the bed (our bed is not against a wall and can not be put against a wall (only the headboard is).
I don't feel like baby #2 must sleep w/ us. In fact #1 is w/ us because he would not sleep on his own - and we're both happy and fine with that. Actually, at first I was very worried about sleepign w/ him - that I'd roll over on him. Now I'm worried about not sleeping w/ the new baby, just can't figure out how to do it safely since #1 is bound to kick each and every one of us in the head a few times a night!
Any suggestions? We have a cradle for our room, a crib for baby's room (though I don't see myself being comfortable having baby in a room alone) and an amby baby hammock (my 1st did not sleep at all so we tried everything, except Ferber (blech!)). Another concern is that if this baby does fine sleeping alone will there be animosity that the older sleeps w/ us and the younger doesn't?
Okay, thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 01-02-2010, 12:50 PM

I was just considering something myself. I have 15 month old twins who take up the entire king bed. I saw some really cute toddler beds at IKEA that will fit really well into my small bedroom so that the boys will still be able to be with us but there will be room for everyone.

We are also considering putting a twin bed next to our own bed and slowing move them into there as a way of getting them into their own space yet still being close to us.
#3 of 4 Old 01-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Why don't you bring the crib into your room, take one side down, lift the mattress to the highest setting and push the crib next to your side of the bed? That way you have an instant co-sleeper. We do that and it works out great! Our crib would've gone unused otherwise.
#4 of 4 Old 01-02-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelleyMom View Post
Why don't you bring the crib into your room, take one side down, lift the mattress to the highest setting and push the crib next to your side of the bed? That way you have an instant co-sleeper. We do that and it works out great! Our crib would've gone unused otherwise.

We had our crib sidecarred until just recently and it worked out great! You could have baby in the crib beside you and your 4yo in between you and your DH.
We have a queen bed(would love a KING!!!) and I was waking up H all the time by rolling over so we decided to sidecar. My oldest moved out of our bed into his own room when he was 2(never slept with us very well).

Anyway, we have just moved the crib away from the bed to the other side of our room because H is such a light sleeper. It works well for us and I hope that by the time this little one arrives that we can have both boys in the same room together. If not than we'll have baby in the Arms reach cosleeper and H in the crib in our room.

I hope you find something that works!!

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page