Anyone planning on using cloth diapers? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 67 Old 01-11-2010, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was planning to, but my husband just informed me we will be moving shortly after my due date...so I won't be until we are setted in our new local. Should be about 3 wks later then I will whip out the cloth

~Marla~
CoSleeping, BabyWearing, Breastfeeding, PT Cding

🐢🐢A new little turtle is about to join our crazy part of the ocean!!!🐢🐢
lactivist.gif
#62 of 67 Old 01-11-2010, 09:55 AM

I have newborn and small size bambino mio's from DD which i will use for this baby too. After that i plan to move to terry flats and motherease wraps. My mother used flats on all her kids and those she childminded (when i was little) so i know a million folds and am happy to spend the minimum while knowing i can cope with them. I do find that most things people fear about flats have been solved in the past by other older mama's, but no-one asks (because most use sposies) and so no-one finds out.

I remove poo from nappies thus - remove poopy nappy from baby, clean baby, put on new nappy. Put baby somewhere safe (crib, wrap, middle of bed - wherever you "keep" your baby when you need a moment and both hands). Take poopy flat/prefold/insert/shaped/whatever to toilet. Hold nappy by one clean corner, lower into bowl of toilet. Flush toilet and as water pours into the bowl raise and lower nappy vigorously, ensuring strongest flow of water is directed onto the poopiest section of nappy. When flush is complete raise nappy from bowl and ditch it in the covered bucket you use for such things, tightly replace lid, wash hands. No touching poo, no scraping anything, nothing like that. In addition if you're dry-pailing this technique means your poopy nappies are wet and the stains don't set while they wait to be washed (i tended to have a dry pail for wet nappies and a damp one for poopy ones - not filled with water but with only loo-rinsed nappies in it. So every fresh wet one adds a little to keeping the others damp. I washed every other day, on warm, hot once a month or if i felt stains were appearing.

Admittedly my technique relies upon a clean toilet, but i have one of those
#63 of 67 Old 01-13-2010, 03:46 PM

We are planning hybrid cloth and EC.

With my first I did straight cloth and with my second we moved to a place with no washer/dryer. It broke my heart. Then someone suggested ECing to me and it blew my mind away. I was skeptical starting out, too.

I ended up with 1 load of cloth diapers at the laundromat once a week with almost never a poopy dipe!
#64 of 67 Old 01-14-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post
I have newborn and small size bambino mio's from DD which i will use for this baby too. After that i plan to move to terry flats and motherease wraps. My mother used flats on all her kids and those she childminded (when i was little) so i know a million folds and am happy to spend the minimum while knowing i can cope with them. I do find that most things people fear about flats have been solved in the past by other older mama's, but no-one asks (because most use sposies) and so no-one finds out.

I remove poo from nappies thus - remove poopy nappy from baby, clean baby, put on new nappy. Put baby somewhere safe (crib, wrap, middle of bed - wherever you "keep" your baby when you need a moment and both hands). Take poopy flat/prefold/insert/shaped/whatever to toilet. Hold nappy by one clean corner, lower into bowl of toilet. Flush toilet and as water pours into the bowl raise and lower nappy vigorously, ensuring strongest flow of water is directed onto the poopiest section of nappy. When flush is complete raise nappy from bowl and ditch it in the covered bucket you use for such things, tightly replace lid, wash hands. No touching poo, no scraping anything, nothing like that. In addition if you're dry-pailing this technique means your poopy nappies are wet and the stains don't set while they wait to be washed (i tended to have a dry pail for wet nappies and a damp one for poopy ones - not filled with water but with only loo-rinsed nappies in it. So every fresh wet one adds a little to keeping the others damp. I washed every other day, on warm, hot once a month or if i felt stains were appearing.

Admittedly my technique relies upon a clean toilet, but i have one of those
This is great! I was going to ask this exact question (do I really need a sprayer/how do you handle a poopy diaper?), and you answered it perfectly. I like a step-by-step instructional
This is going to be my first time CDing, and I'm really excited about it. I'm trying to buy diapers gradually throughout my pg, so I don't have to spend a big chunk of money all at once. I have been buying Under the Nile fitted diapers because I really would like them to be organic. I've recruited my mom, and she's already knitted two wool soakers. I've crocheted one myself, although it turned out really big and will need to be felted. I need to get on the stick and crochet some more! I'm so happy to know that so many of you are experts. If I have any questions, I'll know where to turn!

Gayle, mom to Reagan and Ryan, 09/15/03, Cade, 12/08/05 and sweet Josiah, 05/23/10-07/16/10
#65 of 67 Old 01-14-2010, 02:08 PM

Woo, felted soakers are the best! I am so lazy though, i make them out of rescued 2nd hand wool sweaters rather than felting my nice hours of knitting

You're very welcome to the instructional. Believe it or not i have some of my earliest memories of standing clinging to my mother's skirts while she dip-flushed my dirty nappies in the loo.
#66 of 67 Old 01-14-2010, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post
Believe it or not i have some of my earliest memories of standing clinging to my mother's skirts while she dip-flushed my dirty nappies in the loo.
I love that I wonder what our little ones memories will consist of....LOL

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#67 of 67 Old 01-14-2010, 06:13 PM

For Mediums a GREAT wahm diaper I have found is diaperchange . com I LOVE her diapers they fit amazing have adorable pattersn and are pocket diapers which are easy for DH to figure out lol. I can't wait to have a new little bum in cloth

S Momma to:8:5:4:1.5 and: May 29 2010 loving wife to C:
:::: ::: formally mom_2_3_girls

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page