Mothering Forum banner

Had cramping yesterday, 3 hours in ER

768 views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Tiffanoodle 
#1 ·
I had SO much better plans for yesterday evening as well as the next couple days.

Yesterday afternoon, I was taking down the Christmas tree ornaments. I remembered that there was a little box of ornaments that didn't get put on the tree this year, but they were in the front area by all the boxes out there. (We made a move from MI back to WI in October, moved into our house right before I found out I was pregnant so not as much unpacking as I'd like got done.) I started moving around boxes to get to where I thought it was (never did find the dang thing) and then remembered a couple other things I was looking for. I'd moved around quite a few boxes and I started to cramp. I was more than a little irritated. I went back to the computer work I was doing and the cramping got a lot worse. I was kind of scared to go to the bathroom to see if there was blood, but I did and there wasn't any. I texted dh and he left work to come home. He then harrassed me for like a half hour to call the doctor. (It takes him over an hour to get home from work) I had to go to the bank drive thru quick or we were going to overdraw. I called the doctor's office, they told me I should go to the OB floor, but then called right back and said before 20 weeks they want women to go to the ER. I said I'd have to wait until my husband got home because I couldn't bring all 3 kids myself. I went to the bank, took a shower, and rested a bit. I kind of figured the cramping would stop and we'd end up not going. No such luck.

A bit after 5 he got home and we left for the ER. It was packed. It took awhile to get back. They gave me Tylenol, took blood, started an IV of fluid, listened for fetal heart tones, and did a pelvic. After awhile, since I told them I couldn't pee in a cup, they did a quick catheder to get a urine sample. All looked okay. The cramping is still there, not as bad as it was before. She heard the heartbeat at 180 bpm, I didn't really hear it. Cervix is still closed, no blood or anything, and they're culturing the swab, not sure for what.

They discharged me and said that if I didn't feel 100% perfect today, I need to call my OB and get in to the office. He did mention the possibility of early appendicitis, but it's not likely. I'm on bedrest for a couple days; dh is staying home from work and thank goodness I'm not scheduled to work again until next Tuesday.

I slept relatively well last night, but woke up this morning to a bit of cramping still. Called the OB and I will be seeing her at 11:45 today. I'm really kind of hoping she does a quick u/s. It would make me feel so much better to see the little bug moving, especially since I didn't really hear the hb the nurse was hearing last night.

See less See more
#9 ·
I saw my OB this morning. She's such a sweetie. She squeezed me in between her surgeries, but as always didn't make me feel rushed or anything. She did a quick pelvic and said my cervix is thick and closed and everything looks good. We found the heartbeat pretty quickly and it was strong. She figures I pulled or strained my rectus abdominus muscle. Lovely. I got the speech about not overdoing it and she told me I need to really take it easy for a few days. If it gets worse at all or if it doesn't seem to be getting better by next week I need to call her and get in. She prescribed me some Tylenol with Codeine to help with the pain both in my abdomen and the migraines I've been having. I took some this afternoon and I think it was only then, when the pain was eased, that I realized how much my abdomen really was still hurting. I got a few hours' sleep headache and pain free. I'm still just kind of ignoring the discomfort but resting nonetheless. My dh is going back to work tomorrow. I will have to lift our 18mo dd in and out of her crib, but I'm hoping that won't irritate anything. Once the older 2 get home from school, my oldest can help do the lifting.

Thanks for the concern and well wishes.

#11 ·
Glad everything is good with baby. Now just remember to take it easy for the next couple of months
. That's harder than it sounds, isn't it. I had a patient this week that needed to get in and out of bed multiple times during the shift and about halfway through the night I was helping him move over in bed and felt a sharp belly pain/strain but no cramps thank goodness.

#14 ·
I loafed around on the couch the last few days. Last night I started to feel a lot better. I can bend over without it hurting and I was able to lift a few things (the milk carton, the kitten, the laptop) without it sending shooting pain. I'm hoping that means that by Tuesday when I go to work I will be feeling close to 100%. The heaviest thing I lift there is my soda or water, so I'm not worried about agitating it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.