Who is still breastfeeding, or has breastfed through pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My supply is SO SO low, but my 16 mo old still loves to nurse at night and before nap/bed. I don't know if she's getting much of anything, but she still enjoys it. As painful as it is for me, I don't want to wean because of this.
However, I am also very nervous about the whole mil process when the baby comes. I have read everything I can find, so why do I find it so hard to believe my milk will come in the way it always has. There is a big part of me that wants to wean my dd, so I don't risk having low milk for new baby. Am I crazy for feeling that way, when the facts support otherwise? it's just hard to find much info on nursing during pregnancy and beyond, aside from Kellymom.

Has anyone successfully nursed through pregnancy, and nursed a toddler afterwards? If so, can I ask you a few questions??

Did you feel that strong let down with your newborn again?
Were you able to pump enough to store for newborn, even with a toddler nursing?
Was there anything different about the experience, considering you actually never STOPPED breastfeeding??

TIA

: and 3 dd's (5, 4, 17 mos) and anticipating Michaela Skye (after my late daddy Michael.) May 26th 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 01-19-2010, 06:46 PM

No experience with this but I wanted to let you know that I'm in the same boat. My 15 month old DD is still nursing a couple of times a day. I know I don't have tons of milk anymore but I do still have some. I'm actually hoping that she will continue to nurse through my pregnancy and then tandem with the next one. I had a huge overactive letdown and over supply with her that I think having a toddler nursing will help with some of that.

Hopefully someone with some experience can give us some insight!

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

#3 of 19 Old 01-19-2010, 07:58 PM

I have tandem nursed in the past, with #1 and #2. I can tell you from experience that the issue is usually the opposite - TONS of milk!! I sometimes had to have my toddler 'top it off' because I tend toward oversupply anyway, but it was ridiculous! Your body knows exactly what to do...but be prepared to be HUNGRY if you nurse two. I had a tough time eating enough, in fact!

This time around, dd is 19 months now, and she too loves to nurse but doesn't get much. She is pretty much night weaned now, although we still cosleep. She'll nurse before bed but has a bottle of water that she likes to have if she wakes up thirsty. She does less nursing overall than she does just holding my breast and making sucky faces. So it is definitely comfort. I think she might wean, since she has reduced her nursings so much, but it's hard to say! Once my colostrum starts coming in, in the 3rd tri...I remember it being so much less painful. I do find that now she has night weaned, I have less soreness during the day.

The only issue I have sometimes is her wanting to shove her hand up my shirt for comfort when we are out in public! LOL!!! I have long hair, so I try to just hide it a little...

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#4 of 19 Old 01-19-2010, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_the_hip View Post
I have tandem nursed in the past, with #1 and #2. I can tell you from experience that the issue is usually the opposite - TONS of milk!! I sometimes had to have my toddler 'top it off' because I tend toward oversupply anyway, but it was ridiculous! Your body knows exactly what to do...but be prepared to be HUNGRY if you nurse two. I had a tough time eating enough, in fact!

This time around, dd is 19 months now, and she too loves to nurse but doesn't get much. She is pretty much night weaned now, although we still cosleep. She'll nurse before bed but has a bottle of water that she likes to have if she wakes up thirsty. She does less nursing overall than she does just holding my breast and making sucky faces. So it is definitely comfort. I think she might wean, since she has reduced her nursings so much, but it's hard to say! Once my colostrum starts coming in, in the 3rd tri...I remember it being so much less painful. I do find that now she has night weaned, I have less soreness during the day.

The only issue I have sometimes is her wanting to shove her hand up my shirt for comfort when we are out in public! LOL!!! I have long hair, so I try to just hide it a little...
That makes me feel SOOOO much better Cindy, THANK YOU!!! Funny, my dd does the hand up or down the shirt too for comfort, lol.

: and 3 dd's (5, 4, 17 mos) and anticipating Michaela Skye (after my late daddy Michael.) May 26th 2010
#5 of 19 Old 01-20-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_the_hip View Post
Once my colostrum starts coming in, in the 3rd tri...I remember it being so much less painful.
I am so looking forward to this! I wince when my DD latches on it is so painful. Thankfully, she only nurses to sleep and in the morning. It's about all I can handle. I don't expect her to wean anytime soon so I'm trying to gear up for tandem nursing.

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#6 of 19 Old 01-20-2010, 03:06 PM

I nursed DD1 though DD2s pregnancy and agree with the mama who said you'll have a TON of milk! It was nice to have a toddler help "top off", and I think they really bonded over it too. You should read "Adventures in Tandem Nursing", it was a really helpful book!
Now DD2 is nursing once a day or so, so I'm unsure if she'll wean or if we'll tandem again. Shes not even 19 months yet so I feel guilty about the possibility of not making it until 2, but I guess what will be will be, you know? I know I have no milk in there, but she just sucks for a few seconds/minutes and then runs off again.

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#7 of 19 Old 01-20-2010, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm still nursing DD2, who will be 18 months on Friday. My supply has dropped a bit and I'm having some nipple soreness right now, but I'm expecting to be tandem nursing again. This is the 3rd pregnancy I've nursed through, I was tandem nursing through my last pregnancy. My experience was like the PPs, I had tons of milk after the babe was born each time!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#8 of 19 Old 01-20-2010, 04:31 PM

My daughter is 26 months and just in the last 3 weeks or so she as weaned (all on her own) I think it was because there just wasn'tmuch milk in there anymore. I had planned on nursing her until she didn't want to anymore but as selfish as it sounds I am kinda glad she weaned because it is nice to have my boobs to myself for a couple months Though if she was much younger I would have really pushed for her to keep nursing (I REALLY wanted her to go at leat 2 years). And she still shoves her hand down my shirt when she needs any comfort....doesn't matter where we are!
#9 of 19 Old 01-21-2010, 12:37 AM

I tandem nursed through my second and third pregnancies (lo is almost 6 now, and weaned over 2 years ago).

I found it painful, but worked through it -- for me, the pain disappeared instantly with the births. My oldest nursed before her brother did when he was born -- nursing her at bedtime the night before had been painful. Nursing her at 5:15 am after he was born, not painful at all.

My supply waned -- my second child/third pregnancy was down to nursing once every few days when baby was born, but picked up when the milk came.

Milk came in the same each time (which unfortunately came with engorgement, etc.).
#10 of 19 Old 01-21-2010, 01:52 AM

We are still nursing. DS is only 14 months. He nurses probably twice overnight, in the morning, before naps, when his teeth hurt, when he's bored...

I am not planning on forcing weaning. I have longed for him to wean on his own in a few months though - that just seems like so much boob time, to have two kids nursing. I have a copy of Adventures in Tandem Nursing and also recommend it.

I didn't actually have any pain until the 2nd tri. I am curious if it is due to milk changes, breast changes, or DS's cutting molars. I am pretty sure I have low supply right now, but haven't tried to find out. I just hear less swallowing than I used to.

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#11 of 19 Old 01-21-2010, 04:47 PM

I'm also still nursing, but it's often really painful and exhausting. I work full time so I'm away from my son all day, but as soon as we walk into the door he starts saying "Want boobie milk!" until I give it to him (if I even try to change or go to the bathroom first he has a fit). He's 26 months and completely attached to the boob, I don't know how it will ever end.

At night, we cosleep and he constantly wants to nurse (altho I am sure it's pretty much dry, and he even says "milk all gone!" but continues to try at it...). I try to make boundaries, especially at night, like "One more minute" then ask him to stop, or offering a sippy cup of water or milk, and it works about 50% of the time. As soon as he wakes up in the morning, all he wants to do is nurse as well (or he cries and cries), which makes getting ready for work very hard for everyone and we end up running late almost every day. If he continues to nurse thru the pregnancy and tandem when the next one is born, it will be very hard to ever get him to wean I think, once more milk comes in. My husband wanted to him to stop at 2, but it's already 2 months past that. My family is especially weirded out by it and I have to hide it from them.
#12 of 19 Old 01-21-2010, 05:27 PM

Still nursing DD who is 26mo. We nightweaned shortly after she turned 2 and now she only nurses for her nap. I've had no discomfort & my supply is still good. I would prefer for her to wean before the new baby comes. I'm totally supportive of tandeming but I have a feeling it is not for me.

dd #1 11/15/07 and dd #2 unplanned and so glad the midwife was on her way!
#13 of 19 Old 01-21-2010, 05:31 PM

I am still nursing DS who is almost 16 months. I *tried* to night wean him but after 3 rough nights, DH and I decided he just isn't ready

I dont want him to wean completely and I dont mind the idea of tandem nursing... IN THE DAYTIME! But I am so scared of what it is going to be like with 2 screaming babies wanting to eat at the same time... and how traumatic it might be for DS if I tell him that I cannot feed him, but I feed the other one. That would break my heart! I guess I will evaluate the situation when I am a little closer to my due date. Anything can happen in 5 months! Plus, he is waking less and nursing for a shorter time. And a new thing that has saved me is that he is letting me rock him to sleep after nursing rather than falling asleep on the breast and staying there all night! YAY for that!!

Otherwise, I things are good. Milk supply seems to be ok- though I havent really checked since I figure if it isnt enough, he will either let me know or eat more for lunch

The only other complaint I have is that it HURTS when he latches on! And my nipples are so sensitive that sometimes I cringe the entire time he is nursing... it doesnt hurt, just feels yucky!

Faiza married and with , mama to DS (09.23.08) and with #2 (due in June 2010).
#14 of 19 Old 01-21-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuslimMama View Post
I dont want him to wean completely and I dont mind the idea of tandem nursing... IN THE DAYTIME! But I am so scared of what it is going to be like with 2 screaming babies wanting to eat at the same time... and how traumatic it might be for DS if I tell him that I cannot feed him, but I feed the other one. That would break my heart!

The only other complaint I have is that it HURTS when he latches on! And my nipples are so sensitive that sometimes I cringe the entire time he is nursing... it doesnt hurt, just feels yucky!
Wow, that is me exactly! Well said.

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#15 of 19 Old 01-22-2010, 06:25 AM

I'm nursing my 28 month old and ditto on the ouch factor!

I've done this before and please, please don't worry about supply! Boy is your nursling going to be happy when they are deluged with milk! More than enough! I got such a supply and then it leveled off to demand.

We're just about night weaned here b/c I just couldn't take waking up to nurse. It would fully wake me up b/c it was painful. Luckily he responded really well, fussed a tiny bit and rolled over. Phew.
#16 of 19 Old 01-22-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

I can not tell you ladies just how much better you have made me feel! I don't know why in my silly head I thought I would have supply issues. I hated the idea of weaning her just because I might not have enough, but didn't want to risk it for baby either. Thanks SO much for the reassurance!! Guess the pain will just have to be my issue for a bit. ouch.

#17 of 19 Old 01-23-2010, 05:09 AM

I was breastfeeding up until 10 days ago I don't know what happeneed but my milk just disappeared my son is 18 months and was still nursing around the clock and I noticed he was nursing for longer and longer still being thirsty after biting me and getting frustrated and then he just stopped. I miss my little nursling but happy we made it to 18 months

S Momma to:8:5:4:1.5 and: May 29 2010 loving wife to C:
:::: ::: formally mom_2_3_girls
#18 of 19 Old 01-23-2010, 03:42 PM

Now that a few more days have passed, I really do think my 19 mo old is probably going to wean...last night she asked to nurse but only latched on for a few seconds, then snuggled up to it and sipped on her bottle of water before falling fast asleep. It is going slowly though and she seems no worse for wear, so I am grateful that she is leading the way! During the day when we are home she will ask, but often just holds my breast and sucks on her tongue (she has always had the habit of clicking her tongue for comfort - quite cute really!!). Or if she does nurse, it is often for not even a minute and then moves on. I think she just wants to know she CAN if she wants to.

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#19 of 19 Old 01-25-2010, 01:25 PM

I was still nursing my 28mo DS when DD was born, and I don’t recall nearly as much pain nursing him through that pregnancy as I am having nursing her through this one. My nipples are in agony with any direct contact, especially nursing, and I am sure that my milk is gone -- I painfully attempted to “check” twice and couldn’t squeeze out a single drop. At 27mos, DD seems not to care that the milk is gone, she just loves sucking.

One comment about colostrum, I have always been very happy for DD that she got all of “her” colostrum when she was born. Her big brother didn’t ask to nurse at all during her colostrum time, perhaps because of the excitement and logistics of our first 2 days with DD. The day she was born, DS didn’t ask to nurse at all, and then he went home with DH while I slept overnight in the birth center. When I got home the following day, the baby was the center of the attention -- DS still wasn’t interested in me -- and by bedtime my milk was already coming in. My milk came in after only 39 hours! So when my DS finally asked to nurse, he got milk, not the precious colostrum that is so beneficial to a newborn. When I realized later that my milk had come in *so* quickly, I was especially glad for DD that she got all the colostrum she possibly could have had.

Surprises about my supply?
In the first few weeks after DD was born I had painful engorgement issues that I did not have the first time around with DS. My firstborn was a voracious baby right from the start and always relieved my hard full breasts. However, DD was slow to develop a big appetite and I got huge hard sore breasts without relief. My experienced boobs knew what to do before she did! I can’t remember why my nursing preschooler didn’t help me out very much with my these engorgement issues, (maybe it was because he was gradually reducing his nursing sessions at the time and he fully weaned about a month or two after DD arrived.) So even though I had no reason or intention to pump at all for DD, there I was pumping regularly with a hospital-grade pump for relief (I know, I know, it was a vicious cycle of temporary relief vs. artificially increasing demand.) I wore cabbage leaves, compresses, the whole nine yards, just to stave off an infection (which thankfully I did.) And eventually her appetite picked up and my supply regulated.

One happy surprise for me was that I had no latch issues or latch discomfort with DD, it went just as smoothly as when my DS had first started nursing. They both had good nursing instincts, and my nipples were never sore. Could this also be because my nipples never had a day off between babies and never lost their groove? Perhaps.

But at the moment I am definitely concerned for my poor painful nipples. I share your pain!!

Mama to DS (7), DD (5), DD (2), #4 due 03/2013

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page