Strollers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 02-04-2010, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I've started doing stroller research and I was wondering if we could talk about your stroller experience. Price is not an option for us since we're getting one as a gift, so we've been looking at literally EVERY stroller on the market. We live in South Seattle where the roads aren't super finished and there are lots of hills, so I want to navigate that but I don't really jog or hike. Everyone I know seems to have a jogging stroller, regardless of whether or not they really exercise. Its important to me that it fold up nice and fit easily into the trunk of my fuel efficient car (i.e. small trunk).

We've been into the Baby Jogger City Elite and the Uppa Baby, but we're having a hard time making a decision because we don't actually HAVE any children so we don't have any stroller experience in actual use.

So, what kind of stroller did you get? What kind are you getting this time around? Did you use it a lot? Did you have to get a second stroller? Do you have any regrets? Do you have any advice you wish you'd gotten?

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#2 of 40 Old 02-04-2010, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had several strollers. I hated every one of them until I got my BOB Revolution. I was always trying to get a compact one and just completely ignored the BOBs. What I learned is just because it is smaller, that does NOT mean it is easier to fold and transport. My BOB is a Duallie and I still find it to be the easiest to load/unload of all of the strollers I've had. I live in the bay area hills and, while I don't run with this stroller, we go for 6 mile walks in the hills. I love the control and steering. It is truly unmatched. The shock system is great and the kids are totally comfortable in it. I don't usually do this, but the wheels of the Bobs come off super easy and you can really pack them down small. I was planning on selling my duallie and getting a single until I found out I was pregnant with #3. This stroller will take me through two more years easily and I can sell it on craigslist for a good price.

I have a friend who absolutely loves her Baby Jogger Double, too. She recently had her car stolen the same day that her father died. Inside of her car was her stroller and pretty much everything else she needed for her kids on the go. She contacted baby jogger to buy a replacement. She was so overcome telling the customer service rep about the situation that she broke down in tears. The woman was realy nice and told her that she could pay for it COD since she was still waiting for an insurance settlement. When the driver delivered her new double stroller, she went to get her wallet. He told her not to bother, the amount owed was $0.00!

On the invoice was a little note of condolence from Baby Jogger with words of encouragement. I thought that was pretty dang awesome and she is a customer for life!

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

#3 of 40 Old 02-04-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbyard View Post

I have a friend who absolutely loves her Baby Jogger Double, too. She recently had her car stolen the same day that her father died. Inside of her car was her stroller and pretty much everything else she needed for her kids on the go. She contacted baby jogger to buy a replacement. She was so overcome telling the customer service rep about the situation that she broke down in tears. The woman was realy nice and told her that she could pay for it COD since she was still waiting for an insurance settlement. When the driver delivered her new double stroller, she went to get her wallet. He told her not to bother, the amount owed was $0.00!

On the invoice was a little note of condolence from Baby Jogger with words of encouragement. I thought that was pretty dang awesome and she is a customer for life!
That made me tear up... I'm pretty hormonal

dd1 4/7/05 dd2 8/22/07 and b/g twins born 5/23/10
#4 of 40 Old 02-04-2010, 07:06 PM

I second the BOB suggestion. I have several strollers - a BOB for walks, Peg Perego Pliko for malls and the like, and an Uppa Baby umbrella for traveling. I suppose I could have bought one of those really fancy Bugaboo ones for the $ we've spent, but it's been over time, and the strollers I have have really held up over the years because they are nice. I do wish I had a BOB with a swivel front wheel. I NEVER jog with it, not my thing. But it's quite nice to have the pneumatic (air-filled) tires for longer walks, so I wouldn't worry about the label jogger. I don't know a lot about the ones you've suggested but I'd do a pneumatic wheeled one over one w/the double front wheels if you are trying to get it all out of one stroller! Have fun - stroller research was always one of my fav things to do when pg - and I just don't know if I will need another this time around (OK - I am considering a double jogger for walks to school but that will be a low-end one because DD will be close to 4 when baby arrives)

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#5 of 40 Old 02-04-2010, 07:42 PM

I'm researching too! We just went with a simple travel system with #1, but I now LOATHE that stroller and have decided I need a new one for DS. I've borrowed my friend's BOB from time to time(double and single). I must admit, it is a smooth ride, but the double is truly monsterous. You can navigate it quite a bit, but its BIG, at least for me. My friend doesn't seem to mind, but I'm one of those people who is just uber conscious of how much space I'm taking up...especially in crowded farmers markets and the like...
SO....I've actually been looking at Phil and Ted's sport. Its gotten great reviews, is a jogging stroller, and can go double without becoming a beast. If you are thinking of having another one before the current one is out of toddler-hood, I recommend this one...BUT, if you think there will only be one kiddo at a time in stroller-land, I'd go for the single BOB.
Happy shopping!

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#6 of 40 Old 02-04-2010, 07:51 PM

I LOVE my Bob Revolution, for all the previously mentioned reasons...

I can't decide if I should get a double bob rev or not. My son is 3 and pretty mobile, but for some occasions I can still see needing it.

Geez, what a great story re the Babby Jogger, I welled up too!
#7 of 40 Old 02-04-2010, 08:58 PM

I'm a first-timer but just wanted to add that all my friends rave about the BOB Revolution. It just went on my registry. Now I'm hoping one of my more deep pocketed relatives is feeling generous!

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

#8 of 40 Old 02-04-2010, 09:03 PM

Wow, nice recommendation for the BabyJogger customer service!

I don't have any recs for strollers. For DS1 we went with the ubiquitous Graco travel system, which we also used for DS2. But I also had a Fisher Price Stand 'n Ride for my older to ride on the back when the younger was born. They were both fine, but probably not what you're looking for. Let me tell you though, you'll likely end up with several strollers over your parenting lifetime. There are just so many options for so many scenarios, you end up with a few. 90% of the time after the first 8 months, we used our rather nice umbrella-style stroller since it's small, light, easily folds and just lives in the back of the car so we always have it with us.

Here's a funny article, originally published in Maclean's magazine, about the stroller debate and how we often end up with several:

http://www.davidrussellwrites.com/id24.html

Mom to Andrew (March 1, 2004), Cameron (July 19, 2007) and #3 due in early June.
#9 of 40 Old 02-04-2010, 09:43 PM

I love my Baby Jogger City Elite. It's a great urban stroller (we walk 1-4 miles every day), with a decent amount of storage for grocery shopping. It's easy to maneuver but the back wheels are a bit too wide for narrow NYC grocery store aisle. But that's true of most big strollers. I like the tire-style wheels because they go up and down stairs really well & I can still do with 26-lb DD inside. It folds up pretty compactly for storage. Don't know about the car b/c we don't take ours with us anywhere.

I also have a $20 cheap umbrella stroller which I use on the subway, b/c it's too crowded for a big stroller.

Prior to my City Elite, I had a Peg Perego Aria which I got b/c I could put my Peg infant car seat in it. Of course, I didn't put DD in the stroller until she was 5mo so that was useless. It lasted about a year before I deemed it too banged up for me to deal--but we're talking heavy, heavy use.

After that I fell for the Graco Clio. Loved loved loved everything about the design--but after having the wheel fall off the original AND a replacement I decided I'd go for a quality stroller.

@sharr--Lots of my local friends have the Phil & Ted's and they all LOVE it. If DD were much younger I would have considered it for a double. But I plan to wear n00b for at least the first 3 months and by then DD will be old enough for the buggy board. Or the City Elite has a jump seat attachment for about $100.

dd #1 11/15/07 and dd #2 unplanned and so glad the midwife was on her way!
#10 of 40 Old 02-05-2010, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

It's interesting that a lot of you like the BOB but there were a lot of features I wasn't into when I saw the BOB. It doesn't recline all the way, the handlebar wasn't adjustable and the seat was just basic canvas, no padding. I was a little disappointed to be honest. I felt like it gets a good rap and a lot of hype and has a great distributer.

Around here, everyone has a BOB. It's sort of like how everyone has a North Face. Just like everyone in Seattle wants to look like they hike the trails at a moments notice (when really, they just stroll the U Villiage) with their technical down parka, they want to have a stroller that looks like it could be off roading. I wonder what the amount of people who actually use their BOB for offroading or heavy jogging are. I find it hard to believe that all the women at the mall that I see with a BOB are really using it for all the stuff its good for. At that point, aren't you overbuying? There are plenty of strollers that are just as smooth but have more luxury features for the same price.

Just to be clear, I definitely think the BOB is a great stroller... if you do the things its good for. Otherwise, it's a really, really big stroller that's pretty heavy and folds in two steps. One of the reasons I liked the City Elite is because for the same price as the BOB, you're getting the same size wheels, a more padded seat, adjustable handlebar, and a better sunshade.

#11 of 40 Old 02-05-2010, 12:27 PM

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...292346&RN=2174

I saw this one.. what is sold separately? "rumble seat" so it only comes with the bassinet part? I'm confused..
#12 of 40 Old 02-05-2010, 01:00 PM

I've never personally "test driven" an Baby Jogger Elite, so I can't compare the two. BOB has several models and it really should be known that the Revolution is NOT intended as a jogging stroller. Yes, the front wheel will lock into a stationary position, but the wheel base isn't long enough to have total control and there is not the required hand break for stopping at high speeds. If you want a Revolution to be a jogging stroller, you will be disappointed. So, most of the women you see with them at the mall aren't underusing them. They are really just great, regular strollers with pneumatic wheels. I hear you on feeling lame for having the same thing that the Seattle poseurs are sporting. Living in the Bay Area, I would never get a Bugaboo for the same reason (not that I would ever shell out that kind of $$ for a simple stroller).

They really are great for folks who live on the edge of the city or in the country where sidwalks aren't a given. A friend of mine lives and works on a horse ranch. Her BOB has allowed her to take her baby around the ranch with her while she teaches riding lessons.

Definitely test drive as many strollers as you can, because it's a big purchase and you have to live with it for a long time. I had bought the One Step Ahead double sit n' stand after drooling over it in the catalog. Once it arrived, I hated that thing. Talk about hard to steer. I sold it on Craigslist after 6 months of struggling with it. If you go to an REI, they'll let you test drive around the parking lot area. I think that they also carry some models of Baby Jogger and they have 20% off sales a couple of times a year on them.

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

#13 of 40 Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 PM

I've got a double Bob too and it has been great, we run with it and take it on bumpy roads.
However I have been drooling over the phil and ted stroller though we won't be getting it $ I've never used it but the removable double seat in back looks great. We've brought our double jogger to Boston several times when visiting in-laws but pushing a double through crowded sidewalks or even for that matter at fairs and farmers markets, etc

Don't know how we'll go running with 3 kids (5,3,0) maybe we'll end up getting a single jogger too. Then the oldest could go in the single and 2 smaller kids in the double. I also want to figure out how to bike w/ 3. We have a attachable bike for oldest (he has 1 wheel, own handle bars, and pedals but attaches to seat of dh's bike) and a seat mounted on the back of mine. I guess since baby is coming late June biking season will be over before s/he can sit in seat anyways. Biking might be for summer 2011!
#14 of 40 Old 02-07-2010, 12:05 AM

OP, if $ is not an issue, I say look at strollers that are reversible, so baby can face you. Those are usually the pricier ones, like the Quinny and Bugaboos. It is just so nice to be able to talk to and see your baby/toddler on a walk. Personally, I found that when my DD faced away from me, I was much less likely to talk and interact with her -- it's just kind of awkward to interact with someone when you can't see what they're doing, kwim? Watch other moms pushing forward-facing strollers and you will see what I mean. When DD faces me, we talk about everything we see, she like to sing songs with me, etc. Still, at 2 years old, she chooses to face me much of the time and we have a great time together!
#15 of 40 Old 02-07-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shachar613 View Post
OP, if $ is not an issue, I say look at strollers that are reversible, so baby can face you. Those are usually the pricier ones, like the Quinny and Bugaboos. It is just so nice to be able to talk to and see your baby/toddler on a walk. Personally, I found that when my DD faced away from me, I was much less likely to talk and interact with her -- it's just kind of awkward to interact with someone when you can't see what they're doing, kwim? Watch other moms pushing forward-facing strollers and you will see what I mean. When DD faces me, we talk about everything we see, she like to sing songs with me, etc. Still, at 2 years old, she chooses to face me much of the time and we have a great time together!
LOL b/c I use our stroller time as my alone time. DD loves to look around at everything & we still talk, but I can also have some quiet time, too, without someone going, "Mommy? What are you doing?" every 5 seconds :

And now that I'm pregnant I can't sing songs while walking without getting winded...

dd #1 11/15/07 and dd #2 unplanned and so glad the midwife was on her way!
#16 of 40 Old 02-07-2010, 02:36 AM

We have a BOB revolution and LOVE it. That being said, I really only use it for long walks down our dirt road or on the bike path. It has handled bumps, mud, huge ruts, icy and snowy roads like a champ. Great, great, great steering, smooth ride, and easy to jog/walk with and manuever. Also pretty easy to collapse, put in and out of our forester, etc. I don't really see it as a mall, store, shopping, airport stroller. Walks, Parks, outdoor use....yes yes yes!!! I have taken it into town a few times and it feels too long to be in and out of stores, but I don't know if I would be comfortable taking any stroller in and out of stores. I really am a babywearer at heart and used the stroller very little when he was younger. As he got heavier, I used it more for our walks and with our 2nd lil one on the way, I know he'll be happy riding in it, while I wear the baby.
#17 of 40 Old 02-07-2010, 02:43 AM

oh and when I said I "jog" we are talking short bursts. I've never really been a runner...taken it maybe a max of 2 miles s l o w.....sounds like it could use a few more features if you are looking to run
#18 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...292346&RN=2174

I saw this one.. what is sold separately? "rumble seat" so it only comes with the bassinet part? I'm confused..
The Rumble Seat is a piece you can buy separately that converts the UppaBaby Vista into a double in-line stroller (UppaBaby Rumble Seat Attachment product page). The UppaBaby Vista comes with the pictured bassinet and the
toddler seat (UppaBaby Vista product page).

Me-30, DH-30, 2 Furbabies-female yellow Labs
-July 2009, Expecting #1 (Boy) June 28, 2010.
#19 of 40 Old 02-09-2010, 01:17 PM

I'm pretty sure we are going to go with the Chicco Together if it ever comes out! I had read it is coming out this month but no news yet. I love my Chicco stroller and car seat and it would be great to have a stroller that fits the car seat. I am just one of those that love it when you can take the car seat out and stick it in the stroller without waking baby. I know you aren't looking for a double but just wanted to add to the chatter.

Angela married to the love of my life Mommy to Summer Hailey and Evan
#20 of 40 Old 02-10-2010, 07:40 AM

DDC crashing from July...
Our bugaboo cameleon has been good value for us. We've lived in 2 cities since DS was born with no or poor sidewalks and have replaced one tyre in 26 months. Bugaboo sent us the wheel via DHL overnight, no charge, with proof of purchase and a photo emailed of the tyre.
It is also excellent for pushing one handed.
However, it may not fit your needs. It is bulky, doesn't fold into one piece and would possibly not even fit in your trunk.

My BF bought the Uppa Baby in rebellion as she didn't want to buy a Bugaboo. 6 months later she was looking for a second hand Bugaboo which, incidentally, really hold their value for resale.

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#21 of 40 Old 02-10-2010, 08:55 AM

I have a Quinny Zapp that we got for DS. My biggest issue was space, and it folds up really small. I had never had a kid before, so I never thought about reclining seats or anything like that. So while it was ok, it wasn't perfect. We didn't use it much at all, but it was to take along if we went out for a day trip. While he was tiny, though, the only way to use it was to put him in the carseat, which I didn't like. When he got bigger and could sit up we put him in the seat, but he didn't seem very comfortable. It's better for a toddler, I think. When I got pg I got a Phil and Ted's Sport with the doubles kit. DS loves it. The seat is more comfortable for him and it drives like a dream. I thought the Zapp drove pretty well, but it doesn't compare. You can recline the seat all the way to flat for an infant, and the second seat can either go on the back for two toddlers or on the front for a toddler and a baby. It looks like a jogger, I guess, but it's not really made for jogging.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#22 of 40 Old 02-13-2010, 01:12 PM

put the shopping/diaper bag/groceries in the stroller and baby in the sling.

wife since 1992; mom to: J 7-95; H 5-98; C 2-03; S 4-05; Micah Zachary born still UC 4-08; UM 9-08; due June 2010
#23 of 40 Old 02-15-2010, 02:08 AM

After stroller online researching and then shopping this weekend I think I am leaning towards the City Mini. So many options out there! I like this one because it is lightweight, folds down easily, can recline to flat for an infant and has a nice large canopy. It is also midpriced. My parents have asked to buy the stroller, but I just can't seem to bring myself to ask for a more expensive stroller. I'm also hoping that it will be compatible with our infant carseat (Chaperone). I need to email the company. This will be our first baby and it's my plan to only have one stroller. Do you think I can do it?!

I'm planning on baby wearing and have already bought the Moby and a hot sling. I have an Ergo on my registry. The City Mini can also have a glider board attachment when our second baby gets a bit too heavy to carry and our first can walk by himself. Does this sound likely is our children are about 2 years apart?

Miscarriage at 6 weeks on 1/11/09, DS born on 6/22/10, DS born on 5/31/12, and new baby due 4/2/14

#24 of 40 Old 02-15-2010, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwanLake View Post
After stroller online researching and then shopping this weekend I think I am leaning towards the City Mini. So many options out there! I like this one because it is lightweight, folds down easily, can recline to flat for an infant and has a nice large canopy. It is also midpriced. My parents have asked to buy the stroller, but I just can't seem to bring myself to ask for a more expensive stroller. I'm also hoping that it will be compatible with our infant carseat (Chaperone). I need to email the company. This will be our first baby and it's my plan to only have one stroller. Do you think I can do it?!

I'm planning on baby wearing and have already bought the Moby and a hot sling. I have an Ergo on my registry. The City Mini can also have a glider board attachment when our second baby gets a bit too heavy to carry and our first can walk by himself. Does this sound likely is our children are about 2 years apart?
I orginally loved the City Mini but my husband thought it was uncomfortable to push at the height it was at and there was no adjustable handlebar. That said, its a great stroller! I LOVED the fold and how easy it was to both fold it and lift it into the car with one hand. It's also quite inexpensive as strollers go, so if you DO end up needing another one, its not a big deal.

The downsides to the City Mini are that its really only good on flat surfaces and pavement because of the smaller wheels. Also, it definitely won't work with the Chaperone. It only works with Graco, Peg Perego and Chicco (starting in April). What's drawing you to the Chaperone over the other seats?

AFM, we decided on the UppaBaby. We saw it last week and really liked the bassinet, especially for baby during the summer. I liked the possibility that I could roll it out onto the deck, pull down the SPF 50 sunshade and baby could sleep in the fresh air while we grill. With the Jewish holidays coming up in September, it would also be nice to have a place for the baby to comfortably sleep while we're eating at other people's houses since we dont' really like the idea of the baby spending too much time in the carseat.

#25 of 40 Old 02-15-2010, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
A friend of mine is convinced I need the Chicco Cortina stroller and matching infant carseat. Looking at it online, it seems to have a lot of great features for the price, but the wheels are small, and I wonder if it will be hard to push and maneuver because of that. Has anyone owned or test-driven one?

Living happily and embracing adventures.
#26 of 40 Old 02-15-2010, 04:53 PM

We really like our Bob. I live in the surburbs, so I'm not off-roading frequently, but sometimes (maybe once a month or so). I love that it handles heavy kids well.

My first was/is pretty heavy for his age, and the BOB single, then double, haven't shown any intense wear because of it. I've had friends with heavy kids whose strollers wear out quicker because of the weight.
#27 of 40 Old 02-16-2010, 12:13 AM

I was planning on buying the Chicco Keyfit with my 20% off coupon at Babies R Us, however once I got there and realized they didn't have the color I wanted I looked at other carseats. I had looked at the Britax convertable carseats and liked the safety ratings on them and then looked more at the infant carseat. I had overlooked it because of price, but then found that they had a floor model on clearance and with my coupon it was $120.

After looking at the Britax webiste, it looked like the Baby Jogger City Mini is compatible with the Chaperone. The Britax website says: "The Chaperone infant carrier is compatible with the Britax Chaperone stroller. When used with the Britax adapter strap, the Chaperone is also compatible with most major brand strollers, including the Chicco Cortina, Peg Perego Pliko 3, Baby Trend Snap N’ Go, Maclaren Techno XLR, and Baby Jogger City Mini."

I will have to have my husband try the stroller again before we settle on the Baby Jogger city Mini. Thanks!

Miscarriage at 6 weeks on 1/11/09, DS born on 6/22/10, DS born on 5/31/12, and new baby due 4/2/14

#28 of 40 Old 02-16-2010, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwanLake View Post
I was planning on buying the Chicco Keyfit with my 20% off coupon at Babies R Us, however once I got there and realized they didn't have the color I wanted I looked at other carseats. I had looked at the Britax convertable carseats and liked the safety ratings on them and then looked more at the infant carseat. I had overlooked it because of price, but then found that they had a floor model on clearance and with my coupon it was $120.

After looking at the Britax webiste, it looked like the Baby Jogger City Mini is compatible with the Chaperone. The Britax website says: "The Chaperone infant carrier is compatible with the Britax Chaperone stroller. When used with the Britax adapter strap, the Chaperone is also compatible with most major brand strollers, including the Chicco Cortina, Peg Perego Pliko 3, Baby Trend Snap N’ Go, Maclaren Techno XLR, and Baby Jogger City Mini."

I will have to have my husband try the stroller again before we settle on the Baby Jogger city Mini. Thanks!
That's a GREAT deal! Good for you, thrifty shopper! I guess I'm wrong, that was what I was told when I went to a baby store out in Bellevue. They obviously didn't know the real facts.

#29 of 40 Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 AM

SeattleRain, I went to the store in Bellevue too and the man I talked to said that he wan't sure if it was compatible, as the carseat was new just last summer. He told me to look online, so I did. I may just bring my carseat and test it out just to see how it fits and decide if I like the fit.

#30 of 40 Old 02-20-2010, 09:23 PM

I used a Baby Jogger City Mini double at Disney World a week ago and LOVED IT! I have a 4yo, 2yo and due in June, so I am actually looking for a Double. It was SO easy to handle! For a single stroller I own a Greco, adn I love it as well.

Penny(34), DH Leon(36) DD Abi (4) DS Jacob (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page