breastfeeding and lipase - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-11-2010, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!
With my son, I had excessive lipase in my breast milk so it soured quickly after pumping - which meant he wouldn't take any pumped milk. I am wondering if that is a permanent issue - if it will happen again with the next baby? Does anyone know about this?
Thanks!
#2 of 5 Old 02-11-2010, 12:50 AM

do a search on LACTNET--I remember a few months ago there was speculation that the excess lipase in some mothers' milk was coming from DHA supplements the mothers were taking, which contain lipase.

dd #1 11/15/07 and dd #2 unplanned and so glad the midwife was on her way!
#3 of 5 Old 02-11-2010, 02:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've only pumped a few times (when donating to a friend when DD1 was a babe, then a couple times for a sippy when I had to leave DD2) and I had lipase issues both times. If I scalded the milk before storing it (either in the fridge short term or in the freezer) then that took care of the lipase issue.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#4 of 5 Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info on lacinet - didn't know about that one.
The scalding didn't work for me last time - still was bad, unfortunately. I never left my first and probably will not leave this one but I like to have a back up. I'm wondering if I should have formula on hand in the event of an emergency situation where I'm not available. I really do not want to use formula - never would - but as said, I like having a back up plan. So, if the pumped milk is still sour, does anyone know about what formula is closest to breast milk? Or would either raw milk or goat milk be better? My son does not drink cow's milk - only goat milk.
#5 of 5 Old 02-11-2010, 10:01 AM
*J*

The cookbook Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon has recipes for formula with several variations, including raw cow and raw goat milk. Not too many ingredients, but I think they include some things like coconut oil for lauric acid. I'm not sure if the actual recipes are posted, but the Weston A. Price Foundation website would also have information on using these formula recipes. HTH!

Enjoying nine years of wedded bliss and (finally!) expecting our very first little one... nope, make that two! June 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page