Herbal Tea - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-12-2010, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I finally went to see my naturopath the other day (I have been meaning to for a while) and she has really gotten me back on track in terms of vitamins, etc. One thing she really wants me to do is to drink herbal teas - nettle tea quite frequently for iron and vitamin c, alfalfa tea for vitamin k and raspberry leaf once a day. I trust her but I have been so indoctrinated in the "no herbal teas at all when pregnant". Anyone else using herbal teas to support health when pregnant? Anyone know which ones must be avoided?
#2 of 12 Old 02-12-2010, 10:10 AM
*J*

I'm drinking a strong infusion of Nettle, Red Raspberry Leaf, Alfalfa, and Oat Straw almost every day! Sometimes I do just straight Nettles. It's such a good way to get good stuff into you.
As far as what to avoid, stay away from any herbs used to bring on menstruation or to help start labor or strengthen contractions. Obviously we aren't looking for that any time soon! No Blue or Black Cohosh, Cotton Root Bark, Pennyroyal. That's all I can think of right now, but the herbs your naturopath wants you to drink sound great. I guess, to be safe, I wouldn't drink anything that I didn't know the purpose of. Don't just drink herbal teas indiscriminately, drink them with the intention of nourishing yourself and your babe.
Hope that helps!

Enjoying nine years of wedded bliss and (finally!) expecting our very first little one... nope, make that two! June 2010
#3 of 12 Old 02-12-2010, 10:18 AM

I drink raspberry leaf, ginger, and mint.
#4 of 12 Old 02-12-2010, 10:34 AM

I also take RRL and have occasional one-ingredient teas. The only one I've avoided (that I would have taken while not pg) was Nighty-Night tea. Forget who makes it, but I think the box even says not to take while pg.

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#5 of 12 Old 02-12-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *J* View Post
I'm drinking a strong infusion of Nettle, Red Raspberry Leaf, Alfalfa, and Oat Straw almost every day!
Ditto, here. I love Aviva Jill Romm's pregnancy tea, which is basically everything mentioned above along with a handful of rosehips and goji berries. I make it in quart size canning jars and let it steep for a half hour.

treehugger.gif
#6 of 12 Old 02-12-2010, 12:07 PM

I have been making a pitcher of the tea my midwife gave me the recipe for. They really emphasize its importance as a way to ensure that nutritional gaps are filled. This one is really refreshing as iced tea. I boil a pot of water, add two fistfuls of the mix and let it steep. Strain into a pitcher and chill overnight. It's great! I got all of the ingredients by the pound via Frontier Wholesale (my mom's group runs a coop for free shipping) and 8 pounds of tea (wow -- a lot!) was less than $50. I'll definitely have enough for the rest of my pregnancy and will probably have some to share with friends after I'm finished with it. Here is the recipe:

PREGNANCY TEA

* 2 parts red raspberry leaf (uterine tonic, rich in vitamin C, easily absorbed calcium & iron)

* 2 parts nettle leaf (has almost every vitamin and mineral needed for human health, especially supports kidneys)

* 1 part dandelion root and leaf (rich in potassium, sodium, calcium, phosphorus, iron and Vitamin A, especially supports liver)

* 1 part alfalfa (protein, vitamins – esp. vitamin K & minerals, digestive enzymes)

* 1 part oatstraw (rich in calcium & magnesium)

* 1/2 part rose hips (vitamin C)

* 1/4 part spearmint leaf and/or 1/4 part chamomile (mainly for flavor, but chamomile eases digestion, promotes relaxation and prevents constipation)

* You can buy the organic dried herbs from the health food store. Mix the herbs together and store in an airtight glass container.

* To make tea, put a handful of herbs in a glass quart jar (or a few handfuls in a gallon jar), fill with boiling water and cover. Let it steep for many hours then strain out the herbs and store the tea in the refrigerator.

* Drink tea liberally all day (try for at least 4 cups), hot or cold (you can mix it with juice if you like). If you heat it, do it on the stove, not in the microwave.

* During the last trimester of pregnancy, increase the alfalfa to 2 parts.

* For the first month or two postpartum, add 1 part fenugreek seeds to the mix.

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

#7 of 12 Old 02-12-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbyard View Post
I have been making a pitcher of the tea my midwife gave me the recipe for. They really emphasize its importance as a way to ensure that nutritional gaps are filled. This one is really refreshing as iced tea. I boil a pot of water, add two fistfuls of the mix and let it steep. Strain into a pitcher and chill overnight. It's great! I got all of the ingredients by the pound via Frontier Wholesale (my mom's group runs a coop for free shipping) and 8 pounds of tea (wow -- a lot!) was less than $50. I'll definitely have enough for the rest of my pregnancy and will probably have some to share with friends after I'm finished with it. Here is the recipe:

PREGNANCY TEA

* 2 parts red raspberry leaf (uterine tonic, rich in vitamin C, easily absorbed calcium & iron)

* 2 parts nettle leaf (has almost every vitamin and mineral needed for human health, especially supports kidneys)

* 1 part dandelion root and leaf (rich in potassium, sodium, calcium, phosphorus, iron and Vitamin A, especially supports liver)

* 1 part alfalfa (protein, vitamins – esp. vitamin K & minerals, digestive enzymes)

* 1 part oatstraw (rich in calcium & magnesium)

* 1/2 part rose hips (vitamin C)

* 1/4 part spearmint leaf and/or 1/4 part chamomile (mainly for flavor, but chamomile eases digestion, promotes relaxation and prevents constipation)

* You can buy the organic dried herbs from the health food store. Mix the herbs together and store in an airtight glass container.

* To make tea, put a handful of herbs in a glass quart jar (or a few handfuls in a gallon jar), fill with boiling water and cover. Let it steep for many hours then strain out the herbs and store the tea in the refrigerator.

* Drink tea liberally all day (try for at least 4 cups), hot or cold (you can mix it with juice if you like). If you heat it, do it on the stove, not in the microwave.

* During the last trimester of pregnancy, increase the alfalfa to 2 parts.

* For the first month or two postpartum, add 1 part fenugreek seeds to the mix.
This sounds awesome!! I drink an Earth Mama Angel Baby blend from about 14 weeks on. It's called Third trimester tea(I think because most times RRL is usually used in the third trimester) and contains RRL, spearmint, nettle, oat straw, chamomile, rosehips, and alfalfa. When the third trimester rolls around I buy extra RRLT and up my use. I tend to get fierce Braxton Hicks after I drink strong infusions of RRL Tea so I think the only thing a person should watch out for is over-stimulation of the uterus. If you start out with a mix and increase gradually most people have no problems drinking RRL.

I say~ "Enjoy your tea!!"

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#8 of 12 Old 02-12-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbyard View Post
I've always wondered about that! Wouldn't reheated tea (even on the stove) lose some of its nutrients?

I got this lovely pregnancy tea but since I like having my tea hot I avoid preparing it
Also I admit I'm not much of an herbal tea drinker - though I very much enjoy my milky English Breakfast tea - so I hardly prepare it any more...
#9 of 12 Old 02-12-2010, 02:10 PM

That confuses me, too. You do have to steep it initially in boiling water, though, so it has already been heated quite thoroughly. I guess that the nutrients we are after in the teas are not harmed by heating. I think that my midwives are just all-around anti-microwaves.

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

#10 of 12 Old 02-14-2010, 02:27 AM

My MW has me on nettle/RRL 1/2 ounce each to 1 quart boiling water (seep at least 2 hours or overnight) I drink it cold... tried it hot and didn't like it though I like plain RRL hot. She has me on a tincture of dandilion root. I'm glad I don't have to tea it b/c I hate the taste.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#11 of 12 Old 02-14-2010, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I feel so much better. It sounds like she is right on track. Just a heads up, she did warn me that if there is any chance you have any gallbladder issues, you should avoid ginger, peppermint and chammomile during pregnancy. Off to make some nettle tea!
#12 of 12 Old 09-04-2010, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
how do you ladies make your nettle tea taste edible?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page