~Spotlight on *J*~ (Feb. 17-20) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*J*, this is YOUR thread! We'll ask questions for you to answer and you can add in anything else you'd like to share about yourself, your pregnancy, and your family. Anything at all!

Other June mamas, ask any question you like, it's all fair game. Of course, our spotlight mama can decline to answer anything that makes her uncomfortable

These first few are from our intro thread, so we can all remember who you are!
EDD:
Name:
Family (partner, other children, and/or furbabies):
Baby's Gender (hopes or guesses):
Names you like:
Birth Plans/Preferences:

And a few more so we can get to know you better!
What number pregnancy is this for you?
Have you felt the baby move yet?
Have you "popped"?
Hobbies/Interests:
Share one weird/interesting fact about yourself:

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 11:54 PM
*J*

EDD: June 20th
Name: Jessica
Family (partner, other children, and/or furbabies): 1 wonderful husband (Sam), 2 small dogs (Polly and Lucy), 2 naughty cats (Annika and Max Power). These will be our first kiddos!
Baby's Gender (hopes or guesses): I guessed 1 boy/ 1 girl, DH guessed 2 boys. Found out last week that he was right, we're having two sweet little boys.
Names you like: We've pretty much settled on names: Gregory James and Owen Charles. The middle names are the boys' grandfathers' names, which is kind of a family tradition.
Birth Plans/Preferences: This is a bit of a touchy subject. I am super-committed to homebirth, which I truly believe can be done safely with twins. Unfortunately, none of the midwives in my area agree, so I will be delivering in the hospital OR. Apparently this is really common hospital policy, that twins must be born in the OR. They say it's because there's not enough room for all the people and equipment needed, but it's hard to not think they want to be able to cut at a moment's notice. I do have a great nurse-midwife, and am trying to make the best of it, but really I'm heartbroken and having a terrible time letting go of the idea of my homebirth. The birth community here is just so conservative!

And a few more so we can get to know you better!
What number pregnancy is this for you? The very first, after many many years of trying.
Have you felt the baby move yet? Yep, they especially like to wiggle and flip when I'm sitting quietly in a meeting.
Have you "popped"? Oh, yeah. Twins, you know!
Hobbies/Interests: Reading, swimming, cooking (especially traditional foods)
Share one weird/interesting fact about yourself: I studied homebirth midwifery in a former life. I loved so much about it, but ultimately decided it just wasn't a good fit for my life and family. It's so amazing to finally experience all these things I've previously helped other women through. I also feel really lucky to have found a CNM who knows my background, respects my knowledge and experience, but doesn't have any problem answering my questions and allowing me to not be an expert (if that makes any sense!).

Enjoying nine years of wedded bliss and (finally!) expecting our very first little one... nope, make that two! June 2010
Old 02-18-2010, 04:35 PM

Happy birthday yesterday!

Is there any midwives in your neighboring state that would help you deliver at home or that you could go to them?

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10
Old 02-18-2010, 11:06 PM

Hi Jessica,

I am so sorry you have not found someone to serve you, I would if I were there. I love twin homebirths and I actually used to live in Northern VA.

If you want to let me know here or pm me about where you live, I can try and ask for you again. Although you may have really asked every midwife in your region...I know my friend in Northern VA would serve you. There are also traveling midwives. I can post your request on the national midwifery list I am a part of as well.

It is so cool that you have that background in homebirth, and I can see where it would leave you disappointed to have to make different birth plans. I had pre-e with # 1 and it was hard...totally different than what I had imagined, but at least I know mine interventions were really necessary...this helps me a lot.

Congrats on conceiving after all these years!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Happy belated birthday!

I'm fascinated with twins and ttc for years with my middle 2, so I'll barrage you with questions. How did you feel when you found out you were having twins? How long did you ttc? Did you have any fertility treatments?

I LOVE the names you picked. They go together so nicely.

I really hope you can figure out a way to get your homebirth. I would really hate giving birth in the OR. Hospitals are uncomfortable enough as it is without adding the sterile environment of an OR.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
Old 02-20-2010, 11:18 PM
*J*

I might have good news about the birth plans... but I'm too worn out to do the story justice tonight! I'll give details tomorrow...
Thanks for all the encouragement!

Enjoying nine years of wedded bliss and (finally!) expecting our very first little one... nope, make that two! June 2010
Old 02-21-2010, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *J* View Post
I might have good news about the birth plans... but I'm too worn out to do the story justice tonight! I'll give details tomorrow...
Thanks for all the encouragement!
Oooh! Sounds exciting!

User Tag List