Tips for preventing overheating/underdressing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2010, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So this is my first summer baby in over 6 years and living in Alaska, well, dressing winter babies is not too controversial.. they need to be warm.. however, I am fairly certain that I overdressed my last summer babe.. unintentionally of course, and only after reflection.. I was looking at summer baby clothes though and there are TONS of little tanktops, dresses, and such for newborns.. (the Gymboree here was having a HUGE sale!)

when do newborns not need to be covered so much?

I cross posted in a thread in life with a babe, but since this is part of "preparing" for my baby, I thought I ought to post here as well..

dp wants the baby in dresses right away, but it isn't going to happen if it isn't good for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 01:27 AM

Good rule of thumb is to dress newborn in one more layer than you are comfortable in.
A newborn should never be sweaty aside from getting a little warm if riding in a warm car which you can't real help, carseats aren't exactly good when it comes to air flow through.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
Old 03-06-2010, 11:19 AM

I see the extra layer needed as the blanket that I always have around a newborn so I think dresses with socks, hat, and blanket would be fine. My ds was 3 months old during the summer and he wore a wool soaker, t shirts, sometimes socks, and I carried a receiving blanket in case he needed it.

Urban homesteader married to my high school sweetheart, mama to V(4/07) and H(6/10)

knit.gifblogging.jpghomeschool.gif   chicken3.gif

Old 03-06-2010, 11:48 PM

I am curious too.... both of my babies are January. What do you do with a Summer baby??????

Penny(34), DH Leon(36) DD Abi (4) DS Jacob (2)
Old 03-07-2010, 02:46 PM

I am in the same boat! After a blizzard December baby I am kind of at a loss for prepping clothes for this one. I crocheted some loose weave cotton hats and was thinking onsies and socks plus a blanket as needed?

Mother to Elsa b. 12/06 and expecting a new one 6/10. Partner to Josh and love our two cats, Bert N Ernie.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:38 PM

All mine have been early spring babies so a summer baby is so new. My plan is little T's and diaper. I will have socks and blanket on hand. I think the first week or so before the baby is all plumped up from nursing, I will be dressing the little one in more clothing.

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10
Old 03-07-2010, 07:46 PM

I also had a dead of winter baby so this is all new to me. And last summer was super mild, cool and rainy around here. So I have a variety of cotton sleepers, some short rompers and a lot of tee shirts to be worn with pants or shorts plus a few light to mid-weight sweaters to layer in the mega-air conditioned stores. DS1 and DH run really hot and are miserable all summer so I tend to err on the side of less clothes than most parents.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 03-08-2010, 05:29 AM

If you have a good supply of onesies (t-shirts) and cotton footed sleepers and some light receiving blankets and maybe one blanket a little heavier you should be good through the summer. Obviously outside in the heat a diaper and onesie will be sufficient but indoor temps can vary wildly not to mention a little 6 lb'r will need more help keeping temps up then a hefty 9 lbr, so there will be some variation from baby to baby.
Don't forget that a baby in a sling has the extra layer of your sling fabric + your body heat. Listen to your baby, they'll let you know if they are too hot or too cold.

Working on my 4th summer baby

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
Old 03-08-2010, 04:37 PM

sling baby really. your body temp will regulate his/hers and you don't even need to wonder, is baby too hot or cold? cuz you will KNOW as they are on your body

wife since 1992; mom to: J 7-95; H 5-98; C 2-03; S 4-05; Micah Zachary born still UC 4-08; UM 9-08; due June 2010
Old 03-08-2010, 06:29 PM

I think it depends on the baby. DS1 was a big baby and born on the hottest day of the year in early August and we live without air-conditioning. He was profusely sweaty and hot if I put him in anything more than a diaper and side-snap shirt. We mostly hung out at home nearly naked together . I never used a blanket on him until the weather turned cooler in September. Even in the winter, I dressed him normally - extra layers would make him sweat. He's always been quite hot blooded.

For DS2, I am planning on dressing him in a shirt and shorts, but adding babylegs and a sweater for cooler days or in mornings and evenings (which tend to be chilly here in June). I also have a few medium to light blankets on hand for sleeping and going out...but it really depends on if he tends to be warm or not.

I also agree with Cuddlebaby, slinging your baby will help you know whether they are too hot or not.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:46 PM

It can also depend on your kiddo! I had a Spring baby and went with the "one extra layer" routine. He was cold! He would fuss and cry until you bundled him up until he was almost sweating. Then he would settle in and sleep, or just check things out (if it was a waking time.)

I think babe will let you know if they're too far one way or the other temperature wise.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:14 PM

If I was in Alaska, I'd have on about 72 layers, even if it was August.

I've had 2 summer babies (early Sept, late July), but in Georgia. It's a whole different animal here. I think our early Sept temps (mid to high 80s) are probably as hot as you get there?

With that baby, I dressed him mostly in onesies or one piece rompers (like rompers with little short legs attached), plus socks. My babies are also swaddled for a long time for most naps and bedtime, which adds another layer to them (especially as newborns, cause they sleep a lot).

Starting around the end of September/first of October (highs in the mid to high 70s), I'll start putting them in pants. And still swaddled in a blanket.

As an aside, I have never used a onesie as an undershirt. My dh wears undershirts in the summer, to prevent sweat from coming through his "real" shirt, but otherwise, we don't ever really need that many layers.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
If I was in Alaska, I'd have on about 72 layers, even if it was August.

I've had 2 summer babies (early Sept, late July), but in Georgia. It's a whole different animal here. I think our early Sept temps (mid to high 80s) are probably as hot as you get there?
Depends on the city. I think Fairbanks gets closer to 100 in the summer... but don't forget we have like 20 hours of daylight PER DAY in the summer... so the heat doesn't END.

We have cold winters, but hot summers.. Alaska is not really understood by many.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/307216

(Fairbanks has the greatest temp swing from summer to winter of any city- but not sure if that is just in the US as I suspect).
Old 03-09-2010, 09:09 PM

I looked up the temps before I responded. Sorry! I didn't mean to offend. Wikipedia said that average high was in the 70s in July/August, with lows in the 50s. That's our weather right now (when my friends are like, well....maybe we could meet at the park in the afternoon, after it warms up...the mornings are still a little chilly ).
Old 03-09-2010, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
I looked up the temps before I responded. Sorry! I didn't mean to offend. Wikipedia said that average high was in the 70s in July/August, with lows in the 50s. That's our weather right now (when my friends are like, well....maybe we could meet at the park in the afternoon, after it warms up...the mornings are still a little chilly ).
I think the temps don't tell the whole story.. I mean, we have the world's largest vegetables not because of throbbing midday heat, but because of constant sunshine.. but you're right in that it is a different "animal". Nowhere else that I can think of do people play organized baseball at 2am.

User Tag List