Slowing down the weight gain...safely - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-22-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I got the "maybe watch the weight" talk at the OB today. I know what it is. I give in to every damn craving I have and am eating waaaaay too much crap food. I will stop today. Am up about 30 pounds at 27 weeks. OB thinks the baby seems pretty big for his gestational age. In addition, both hubby and I cleared 9 pounds at birth (I cleared 10) and my hubby is over 6 feet tall.

I'm interested in hearing about other moms with similar experiences and if you managed to taper off the weight gain. Or from moms struggling with the same issues. I'm certainly not going to diet and risk the baby's health, but am resolved to quit the junk food!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 03-22-2010, 08:17 PM

With DS, I had gained about 50 lbs. by this point. Ick. I also had given in to whatever craving, and I had really strong aversions to certain foods. I was teaching full-time, but once I got home, I usually sat around. When I got the "you need to watch it" conversation from the then-OB, I started eating better (veggies, chicken, smarter food choices, etc.) I also started swimming. (Well, I wouldn't really call it swimming, it was more like walking laps in the swim lanes.) It felt wonderful!

When I started watching what I ate, as well as walk-swimming, I actually lost a little weight at first. Then, I basically stayed at about the same weight the rest of my pregnancy. It wasn't that I wasn't gaining weight like a person should in the late stages of pregnancy, it was that I was getting rid of the bad weight. Does that make sense?

Anyway, this time around, I know better. Luckily, I didn't have as strong of cravings/aversions as last time. Plus, I'm chasing my 3yo around, which helps with the weight gain. We try walking at least 2-3 times a week, too, which helps. I hope the heat doesn't come on too quickly! (in AZ)

Good luck! You can do it!!

Joanna, 6 years married to DH, Mom to 3-1/2 yo DS Owen and DD Taylor, born 6/14/10 by unmedicated
#3 of 13 Old 03-22-2010, 09:11 PM

I hadn't gained any weight until about this point in pregnancy with my first. Then I started gaining and got "the talk." I had been eating really badly and even though I tried to change it a bit, I was still only 19 and just figured I could bounce back. In those last 3 months I gained 50 pounds and it never came off. I lost 30 at birth and then gained it back. I SO wish I'd listened to her and eaten better and started moving more.

With the other 2, I lost a lot in the first tri and then gained back very little, ending up 10 and 2 pounds up, respectively. This time, I have gained about 10 pounds in the last month, up from nothing gained the first few months. I, too, am going to try to taper off all of the crap I'm eating. Some days I have the "it's my last pregnancy, I want to eat while I have an excuse" and other days I say "for every pound I gain, it will take me twice as much work to take it off." Thank goodness spring is here. Less comfort food and more outside activity.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#4 of 13 Old 03-22-2010, 11:06 PM

I got the same talk around 22 or so weeks when I had already gained 25 lbs. I was really upset thinking I would gain at least that much more. But I was careful-still ate alot, but it was healthy stuff like beans and veg and lots of greens and fruit, plus I cut out white rice and white bread and only ate brown rice and whole grain bread, and tried to limit the bread to only a slice or two a day, and drank a lot of water. I also started some exercises classes and started doing videos at home, and used the eliptical or treadmill (fast as I could!) 3 times a week, plus walking my dog on avg 30 mins a day and an hour on weekends, and in the end I only gained 5 more lbs. So take heart! I didn't eat junk food by and large in the beginning, but I did eat A LOT and I guess I just ate way too many starchy, carby foods.
#5 of 13 Old 03-23-2010, 12:39 AM

I am at 27 weeks and have put on 31-32 pounds so far. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. If it bothers you cutting out junky food is a great idea.

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10
#6 of 13 Old 03-23-2010, 01:59 AM

I have big babies, and always gain at least 50 lbs with each pg. I also lose it all and then some while bfing. It's just how my body does things...and it has done the same more or less regardless of cutting out sugar/fat and exercising...or not. In fact my biggest baby was probably the one where I ate the healthiest and exercised the most, go figure!

I think we could all cut out the junk food a little (or a lot) more than we do. But depriving yourself totally isn't always the best if it will lead to bigger binges later..so moderation/portion sizing may work better for you...and adding exercise, even just regular walking, is a great way to go.

FWIW, for women who don't have GD, too much sugar has actually been shown to increase risk of a LOW-birthweight baby, go figure. My highest weight gain in pg with #1 was still my smallest baby!

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#7 of 13 Old 03-23-2010, 12:49 PM

I can relate. In the beginning of this pregnancy I was doing so well, eating super healthy, exercising often. Then the morning sickness came and the migraines and everything went to hell! I've tried to get back on it a few times but things always happen like stressful life events or more whacked out pregnancy symptoms. Now I'm hitting that point where I feel like I'm starting to slow down, I feel big and uncomfortable and if I go on a nice walk it causes me pain down there. I have a ton of cravings too and no self control. My last prenatal I had gained 10 lbs in 4 weeks My doctor is funny though, he only looks at my appearance. I tend to look very very small in the belly so he keeps asking "hows your appetite? have you been eating?" lol, I'm like, HELLO!, I just put on 10 lbs in 4 weeks... I want "the talk" Maybe that would motivate me to try to be healthier.

Anyways, I want to quit junk food too so I will try and eat healthier with you If I can't exercise much the only control I have is what goes in my mouth. I also have a gym pass and I think I will try using an eliptical machine or the bikes where you sit, that might be a good way to get some exercise in without putting too much pressure on my pelvis.

Three months to go!!

Heidi, Married to my sweetheart of 13 yrs Kristopher, Mommy of 7 yr old Kairo, Expecting our sweet little girl Penelope 6/26/2010!
#8 of 13 Old 03-23-2010, 01:00 PM

You already have the solution. If you stop eating the junk food in all likelihood your weight gain will slow down or stop or even lose a little. If you gain weight eating nutrient dense food in appropriate amounts then so be it but I'd bargain that weight will come off easier then weight gained on ice cream and potato chips.
If I spend a weekend eating junk I can watch the scale jump a couple pounds, a spend the rest of the week eating well it will go back down to where I was before the binge. Granted my system is VERY sensitive to refined carbs and all it takes is a couple nights of ice cream and I start climbing the scale at a ridiculous rate.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
#9 of 13 Old 03-23-2010, 04:59 PM

I agree that you have the solution. Of course we all know not to diet while pregnant. But changing your habits so you don't overeat, and then exchange the junk calories for good calories. It sounds so easy, eh?

I find that I need to keep things on hand that kick my junk cravings. I have a great muffin recipe made with egg whites, whole oats, cottage cheese, whey protein, and some other things. 3 are a serving that gets down 29g good carbs and 29g protein. I put a little natural peanut butter and a touch of honey and it feels like a baked good binge, but is a solid healthy mini meal.

I crave cereal when pregnant, so I now use a high protein, good carb granola to hit that craving. I try and sub as much as possible.
#10 of 13 Old 03-24-2010, 12:14 AM

My weight gain will be slowed down quite a bit once I stop eating these Girl Scout cookies, too.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#11 of 13 Old 03-24-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

I'm off to a good start! Ate ok on Monday, the day I got the advice, and was super healthy on Tuesday. Doing good today as well! I was down about 1 pound this morning as well, probably just from not as much fluid, as I've cut out the processed crap with the salt and such.
#12 of 13 Old 03-24-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_the_hip View Post
I have big babies, and always gain at least 50 lbs with each pg. I also lose it all and then some while bfing. It's just how my body does things...and it has done the same more or less regardless of cutting out sugar/fat and exercising...or not. In fact my biggest baby was probably the one where I ate the healthiest and exercised the most, go figure!
Ditto, I gained 50 pounds with DS1 and I was eating health and exercising like crazy. He was a 9lb9oz babe. I lost 25 pounds just by giving birth to him!

I would try to cut back on the junk food a little and then not let it worry you too much. Especially since you have a family history for large babies. A large proportion of the weigh we gain while preggo is simply water/more fluids. I find those weigh-gain guides really counter productive, personally.
#13 of 13 Old 03-24-2010, 08:46 PM

I just had to say, I laughed today. My parents dropped in to grab something. I had on just lounge clothes. A kind of snug (especially in the belly) long pj shirt and some lounge pants. My mom looked at me and said in a kind of disapproving voice "oh, Tiffany. You're not still losing weight, are you?" I looked down and bust out laughing. She said "well, I know the baby's getting bigger, but the rest of you looks smaller." I told her that I'd gained 10 pounds this month, but it was nice to hear that apparently I don't look as much like a beached wale as I feel.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page