Being sick while pregnant is no fun - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-24-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a vicious cold and/or sinus infection. That in addition to the fact that the baby is camping out high are making it really tough to breathe. I am really embarrassed to admit that I get really out of breath even just walking across the room. I get dizzy if I stand too long and sitting puts more pressure on my lungs. The only time I feel like I can actually get a full breath is when I'm laying down.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#2 of 14 Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 PM

Yuck! I remember getting a bad cold last time around. I couldn't breathe through my nose for like 9 days straight and had to sleep sitting up with a humidifier blowing next to me. So much sinus pressure!! and you can't take any of the good stuff either so you can just sleep through it! I remember being in a state of absolute joy when I started to be able to breathe out of just one nostril.

I can so sympathize with you! I hope you get feeling better soon and can rest a lot, just take it as easy as you can... if you want to lay on the couch, watch movies, and eat bon bons... I say do it!!

Hope you get feeling better soon!!

Heidi, Married to my sweetheart of 13 yrs Kristopher, Mommy of 7 yr old Kairo, Expecting our sweet little girl Penelope 6/26/2010!
#3 of 14 Old 03-24-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Right now I'm feeling really guilty. This is a really busy week at my dh's work, so he's working more hours and doesn't have off the days he usually has off (Tuesday and Thursday). I really wanted to get out in the nice spring weather with the kids. I started some beans, pumpkins, and tomatoes in those little jiffy starter things. They're growing like crazy and ready to be planted outside. I have been thinking about it all day. I just can't go do it. I walked out to the dining room where they are and could barely breathe. Bending down to plant them probably isn't going to work well. My oldest dd is "training to be a babysitter", as she puts it. She's trying to make money to buy a new bike, so she begs me to let her watch her younger siblings. Taking them out to play, reading to them, coloring with them, etc. I've been letting her do that the past few days. I just feel like such a slug not being able to go out and play with them.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#4 of 14 Old 03-24-2010, 10:03 PM

Oh Mama, I am soooo with you.
I've been sick for 3 weeks! I had bronchitis, felt a little bit better for a few days and then came down with the flu. I'm trying to stay positive but it isn't going so well. I'm miserable. Sigh.
#5 of 14 Old 03-24-2010, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Ugh. I'm so sorry you ladies are sick. In spite of all my other trials, I've managed not to get sick in over a year. I have a little trick - I buy zinc losenges and keep them on hand for whenever I'm around sick people or start to feel something coming on. I just pop one in my mouth once a day for a few days, and I stay well. I used to catch everything. I've had sinus infections and bronchial asthma that lasted several months in the past. Taking 2000mg Vit C right at the start of things also seems to have helped me at times, but a zinc losenge a day for a few days definitely does the trick.

Living happily and loving it!
#6 of 14 Old 03-25-2010, 08:34 AM

I'm so sorry!!

I'm on the tail end of a cold, and it has lingered and lingered and lingered. I have a nasty cough, and the cough has ended up making me nauseated more than once. Just ugh all around. Ironically, my kids got sick, and they were fine within like 2 days. My dh never caught it. Just the run down pregnant girl.
#7 of 14 Old 03-26-2010, 02:11 AM

I can totally sympathize! I just got over pneumonia, and it was really rough. It seems to definitely take longer to recover when your pregnant and the exhaustion seems to linger a lot longer than normal. The best advice I can give is to take it easy. Don't feel guilty about letting your daughter help out with the younger ones. She's getting some great experience, and you're getting some much-needed rest. If you try to "suck it up" and do too much (which I'm famous for doing!) it will take even longer to get well. I hope you feel better very soon! Oh, and take lots of vitamin d along with your c and zinc!

Gayle, mom to Reagan and Ryan, 09/15/03, Cade, 12/08/05 and sweet Josiah, 05/23/10-07/16/10
#8 of 14 Old 03-26-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

I am finally starting to feel better. Yesterday ended up being a better day and today I can actually breathe out of both nostrils. Hope that means dh is going to get over it soon, too.

#9 of 14 Old 03-26-2010, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I had a horrific cold about a month and a half ago that eventually became a sinus infection so bad I needed amoxicillin for 10 days... and then monistat for 7 for the resulting yeast infection. It was AWESOME but once it was over and I took the meds, I felt much better.

Until about 3 days ago when I started sneezing again... and then last night I couldn't breathe real well because my lungs feel clogged. My OB okayed Tylenol Cold but suggested that I try an expectorant first since its less invasive and pretty much just treats the mucus/breathing problem. I'm so irritated that this is happening to me AGAIN!

Me learning.gif+ DH hug.gif + kid.gifDaniel (7/5/10)
#10 of 14 Old 03-28-2010, 09:16 PM

i'm totally with you. i rarely get sick. but i've had two colds since being pregnant. not bad ones, but the combo of breathing thing like somebody already mentioned, and the extra trouble sleeping (i do NOT need that at 31 weeks!), definitely makes it worse. i'm glad i'm not sicker though. that would be really miserable.

hope you all feel better soon!
#11 of 14 Old 03-28-2010, 10:49 PM
jdg

I can sympathize. It doesn't help that I'm a big baby when it comes to being sick, anyway. I spent the first few months of this pregnancy staying far away from everyone who was sick and kicking people out of my office if they might be. Then I woke up this morning with a sore throat and feeling light-headed/dizzy. Ugh. I don't have TIME to be sick! And I don't have ENERGY to be sick!

Jackie
#12 of 14 Old 03-29-2010, 12:06 AM

oh no, i'm so sorry. I'm glad today was a bit better though. Hopefully by tomorrow you're able to breath easily.

I completely empathize, I am just getting over 2 weeks of bronchitis/sinus infection. And my youngest is just getting over and my oldest hit a fever today. Sigh. So much easier to be sick when not pregnant!

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#13 of 14 Old 03-29-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

I STILL can not get more than 2 feet from a box of tissues. At least I'm breathing again, but my nose just will not stop.

#14 of 14 Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffanoodle View Post
I STILL can not get more than 2 feet from a box of tissues. At least I'm breathing again, but my nose just will not stop.
It sounds like what i went through. Once it all drains, you should be in the clear. Saturday i was like a faucet, it was horrible. But today im just feeling a bit achey and tired, the cough is pretty much gone and i'm able to breath better. Big hugs

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page