Yet More About Weight Gain - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-25-2010, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't weigh myself (I know that might sound crazy but in university, my weight became a bit of an obsession so I just don't go there anymore). My doctor (my family doc, who does shared care until around 28 weeks and who I love) and I have this deal that we don't talk about numbers on the scale and she will let me know if I need to be concerned.
This is my second baby and I feel huge but it's all in front. Again, my doctor didn't seem to think I was massive but I have people at work commenting that they can't believe I have until June to go. I think I am carrying really high and it scares me a bit - I think I am as big now as I was when I delivered my daughter. Lots of friends have told me that they got huge fast with a second...can I reasonably assume I will slow down? My eating is decent if not great and I work out 5 days a week and I walk most days, too. For those of you who have have a lot of weight gain in previous pregnancies, was it general or was it all in one place? I don't think I have put on anywhere except belly (which feels huge these days). I would say that I am average build - not slim but not large and my doctor had told me that my bmi was fine before I got pregnant. I am starting to obsess about this - I think I am scared because I see my o.b. for the first time on Monday and I am wondering whether I will get "the talk".
#2 of 5 Old 03-26-2010, 02:05 AM

It doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about. I'm also lucky because my midwives don't put much stock in the standard weight gain charts. As long as you are eating a healthy diet and getting exercise, it doesn't ultimately matter what the scale says. Seems like every pregnancy is different too. With my twins, I didn't gain a lot of extra weight, but with my DS, I gained over 60lbs. He was really healthy, and I lost the weight, so that was just fine with me. With this pregnancy, I've gained a lot less, although my belly is quite big. I just focus on my diet (which is mostly a traditional foods kind of diet) and keep on working out.

Gayle, mom to Reagan and Ryan, 09/15/03, Cade, 12/08/05 and sweet Josiah, 05/23/10-07/16/10
#3 of 5 Old 03-26-2010, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is my second too and while I have gained less weight this time around I feel huge and get the same comments. One person even said, "wow, not unil June...big baby" What an idiot.
I gained 33 lbs with DS and have only ganed 15 so far. I don't expect I will gain another 18 lbs in 10 weeks but I suppose it could happen.
#4 of 5 Old 03-26-2010, 12:45 PM

Don't worry about it. People talk without thinking so much it's disgusting. I have gotten bigger MUCH faster with each subsequent pregnancy. With my first, my OB only really mentioned my weight gain when it had gone to places other than my belly. She could tell that I was putting on a LOT of extra weight. She was right. With the others, I gained all in front. By about 6 months people were giving me the "oh, my. You've got a long way to go. You're going to be really uncomfortable. Are you sure it's not twins?" And ya know what? I only ended up 10 and 2 pounds up, respectively, with those 2. At the time of delivery. This time my belly is huge. I'm up a few pounds (I weigh myself obsessively several times a day most days. Consequence of a strict diet plan last year where I lost a good deal of weight. Never really stopped obsessing. It helps me think more about what I'm eating) but my family is telling me that I still look like I've lost weight everywhere but my belly. Especially if people didn't see you prior to pregnancy, they really don't usually know what they're talking about. I think it's more of just something to say. As if every single person we see needs to make some comment on our bodies when we're pregnant.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#5 of 5 Old 03-26-2010, 01:54 PM

As a person who has had previous issues with food/weight, please listen to me. If you are eating well - variety of fruits and veggies, adequate fat and protein - and are active - but not extreme - it does not matter what the scale says. Period. You should be focused solely on nutrition and the health of you and your baby, not weight gain.

I know it is hard, especially when everyone and their brother thinks they should be able to comment on your weight while pregnant, but you really have to be like a duck letting the water roll of your back. Sorry, I know that is goofy.

When you go to see the OB, make sure that you have a consultation with him/her beforehand. Explain your history and your current lifestyle so that y'all are both on the same page before you step on a scale.

Regarding your belly size, almost everyone looks bigger in subsequent pregnancies. It also has alot to do with the position of the baby as well. And your build. Women with short torsos (sp?), like myself , tend to have huge bellies.

(((hugs)))) mama Sounds like you are doing great - don't let it get you down.

SAHM to a crazy little boy (4.5) and a silly little girl (3) and my VBA2C babe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page