diaper bags - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-26-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do I really need to get a diaper bag? If so, why?
I have gotten by with a messenger bag or a back pack (or my "magic bag" aka giant purse) for all kinds of needs till now... so what's the diff?
Thanks!
#2 of 15 Old 03-26-2010, 01:58 PM

I don't see much of a difference, except the waterproof lining. Which really isn't that big of a deal unless baby pukes into it lol. This time i wont be doing a diaper bag. I've been diaper bag free for 3 years and am just getting a large purse instead. They can fit all the needed items just as well, and i love the excuse to look for a bigger purse.

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#3 of 15 Old 03-26-2010, 06:55 PM

Whether you use a diaper bag or big purse, I think the most important thing is having lots of pockets/storage compartments. Plus, I sometimes liked to go places with a purse and no diaper bag, so I liked having different bags for each. But, everyone is different...just go with what you're comfortable with. :-)

Joanna, 6 years married to DH, Mom to 3-1/2 yo DS Owen and DD Taylor, born 6/14/10 by unmedicated
#4 of 15 Old 03-26-2010, 10:49 PM
jdg

The ONLY reason I'm doing a diaper bag is so my husband can carry it, too. He's not keen on carrying around a woman's purse filled with baby things

I prefer to carry the smallest bag I can get away with. My entire purse is the size of most women's wallets. So I've found a mini diaper bag that I intend to buy that looks a lot like a camera bag in its styling, is completely gender neutral, and still has a decent number of compartments to keep things sorted. If I weren't sharing with my husband, I'd just get a small-to-midsize purse with dividers/pockets in it.

Jackie
#5 of 15 Old 03-27-2010, 02:49 AM

Our diaper bag was a backpack. A boring, navy, nylon, hand-me-down backpack. It quickly replaced the other, prettier diaper bag. Babe in Moby and pack on my back and I was the official door-opener/holder for all the moms with strollers.
#6 of 15 Old 03-27-2010, 02:59 AM

I'm not usually a fan of baby-specific gear, but I do actually like diaper bags. My preference is to have one large and one small. When breastfeeding, most trips with a >4-6wk old can be handled with a small one (I loved the one I got at the hospital, I just left the formula samples there!) And super quick trips (with Cora, I walked for most of my shopping) were just shoving a diaper and a ziplock baggie of wipes, and maybe a receiving blanket for burp cloth or diaper change surface use, all into the sling with Cora!

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#7 of 15 Old 03-27-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
The ONLY reason I'm doing a diaper bag is so my husband can carry it, too. He's not keen on carrying around a woman's purse filled with baby things
This is my husband too. I tell him, your with a woman and a baby, no one is going to think twice about you carrying a purse, they won't think it's yours! So I finally got a nice looking diaper bag for this baby, so that I like it and he will use/carry it! With my first, I mostly used a big purse and it worked fine.
#8 of 15 Old 03-27-2010, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

That's a good point about husbands, I was thinking if I do break down and buy one I'd just splurge and get a pretty one, but I've registered for a black columbia messenger bag style one. Not that anybody knows I have a registry, I needed one for my work shower.
I guess it's a good idea to have a bag and not just toss stuff in my purse, so he can use it, too.
#9 of 15 Old 03-27-2010, 03:40 PM

Just have to add that I got a backpack style bag when DD was little and LOVED it! We still use it all the time - for picnics, park, beach. It's my standard flight carryon and I even filled it with everything she and I needed for a short overnight.

I did like a small zip compartment for diapers and a thin plastic tub (it's about the width of a paperback) for wipes.

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#10 of 15 Old 03-27-2010, 04:40 PM

I don't necessarily think a diaper bag is necessary, or that you need lots of pockets. My stock ends up falling out usually. I think it's good to have a couple small containers to put in any old bag. Like I have a couple wet bags. One I keep empty for wet cloth dipes or dirty clothes. One I put some clean dipes and travel wipes in. We had to use formula for DD, so I got a small cooler bag with cooler blocks for a couple bottles. Then I just tossed in a couple loose toys. I find this convenient, say, if you're in a restaurant and need to change baby. Just grab the smaller bag with the dipes and wipes and leave the big bag at the table.

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#11 of 15 Old 03-28-2010, 08:13 PM

When DS was little I used a messenger bag, the only things I prefer about a diaper bag now that he's older is that mine hooks onto stroller handles and has two exterior water bottle pockets (one for each of us without worrying about it spilling all over everything else)

I usually keep a bag with extra dipes, wipes and an outfit in the car and then just keep one diaper, a spit rag and a small pack of wipes in the bag itself.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#12 of 15 Old 03-28-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdaisy View Post
Whether you use a diaper bag or big purse, I think the most important thing is having lots of pockets/storage compartments. Plus, I sometimes liked to go places with a purse and no diaper bag, so I liked having different bags for each. But, everyone is different...just go with what you're comfortable with. :-)
Yep, I second this! I have a couple larger bags with lots of pockets for all of the misc baby stuff. I'm not even sure if my favorite one is a diaper bag - I found it at a yard sale for $0.25 and it is perfect because of all the little compartments to keep things organized. Also, It doesn't need to be waterproofed if you have a separate wet bag for diapers. I keep a separate, smaller purse that can fit inside the diaper bag. That way I can take it out and only carry that when needed. HTH!
#13 of 15 Old 03-29-2010, 01:06 AM

I have baby amnesia! I was just thinking the other day "I need a diaper bag this time, I'm going to have 3 kids, I'm going to cloth diaper...." But you guys just reminded me of what my previous method was: a bag for the car and just a few items going out, and that's always worked for me, so I guess I don't need a huge bag after all!
I think I will get a new purse though, none of my purses have enough pockets and that bugs me now, I know it will bug me more with a new baby when I can't find a snappi or the wipes or whatever.

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#14 of 15 Old 03-29-2010, 07:21 AM

I wasn't going to use an actual "diaper bag" but then I found one at the thrift store for cheap, and decided I liked it. DP found it stashed in the closet and kept going on about some pink laptop bag that he really liked except that it's pink. LOL. It's not even pink... I wouldn't have bought it if it was. It's almost entirely grey with a little bit of pink INSIDE. Geez.

He seriously spent five minutes trying to jog my memory about some pink laptop bag, and then went to get it to show me. I about fell out of my chair when he brought me a GREY DIAPER BAG.

Sheesh.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#15 of 15 Old 03-29-2010, 01:30 PM

I had a diaper bag after my twins were born, and it didn't hold up well at all. When my next baby was born, my twins were still young, so I needed lots of room and the ability to have my hands free. So I ended up buying a columbia backpack. It was so awesome! I will definitely be using a backpack again this time around (although I'm looking at a few actual diaper bag backpacks online that are very cool). If you get a chance, check out Better Surf than Sorry diaper bags!

Gayle, mom to Reagan and Ryan, 09/15/03, Cade, 12/08/05 and sweet Josiah, 05/23/10-07/16/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page