So it's my second baby but DD is 6 1/2 - lots of people have said they'd love to do a shower for me, but here are my problems:
1. I just don't want to deal with my tacky inlaws, but there is no way I could have a shower and not invite them. Last time they bought DH a "care package" of canned food because I "would not be able to cook and clean for him." Uh. What about me? Why can't he cook for me?
. Also - my MIL has just generally been super passive-aggressive lately and I'm just not in the mood. Plus then I have to invite DH's dad's 2nd wife and deal with all the awkwardness with my MIL.
2. Who do I invite? I'm worried that if I don't invite some people - like moms I know from DD's school, they'll feel left out or slighted, but if I DO invite casual friends, I worry they'll feel obligated.
3. I hate asking people to do things for me in general. I'm much happier as the host.
4. We really don't need that much stuff - we have tons of handme downs and I'm buying a lot of staples now while I'm still working.
5. I really want to find a way to do something special for DD as a big sister - I think she'd love a shower - opening presents, eating cake, etc. Is there another way to do something for her?
So do I just say "thanks but no thanks." Suck it up and do it anyway? Try to find some middle ground? Ugh.