Weekly chat? April 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 04-04-2010, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it a faux pas for me to post a weekly chat thread? I'm relegated to the couch for a while and would love to chat further with more mamas in the DDC.

Question of the day: what movie are you queuing up next? Or what book is on your list?

I'm currently watching Pillow Talk. Gotta love the old Doris Day and Rock Hudson. It's nice to watch a movie with little doubt about the outcome!

I'm also reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It is an interesting read, and my mother recommended it to me. I find this surprising, as she doesn't have a history of progressive examination of the history of race relations in our country. Her mother had a maid come in every day, and I am curious how and why the book resonated with her.

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#2 of 55 Old 04-04-2010, 06:46 PM

I'm in! We need to be a more active DDC!
movies....hmmm...we got rid of Netflix to cut some costs so I don't have anything on my list so to speak. Anyone heard of anything good coming out soon??
books, I'm on book 6 of the Sookie Stackhouse series (what True Blood is based on). They're so trashy it's fun There's 9 books so I'll be at that for awhile I suppose.

What did everyone do for easter/passover/spring celebrations? My kids are currently chocolate filled We go to a UU church and they had an egg hunt after the service, so the kids were super excited about that, it was cute to see my almost 2 yo "get it" this year too. Though she did think her chocolate bunny was a "meow"

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#3 of 55 Old 04-04-2010, 08:35 PM

Canceled netflix here too Trying to save money. Now I just watch what shows on t.v. or what I can pick up from red box. I tend to really love independent and historical films. I love love love the A & E Pride and Prejudice, I watch it at least once a year!

I do love reading! I started "The Gathering Storm" today, this is the first of the final three books to the Eye of the World series by Robert Jordan. These are amazing fantasy novels. I have to say my absolute favorite books in the world are the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Soooooooooooo good!! I highly recommend them.

Heidi, Married to my sweetheart of 13 yrs Kristopher, Mommy of 7 yr old Kairo, Expecting our sweet little girl Penelope 6/26/2010!
#4 of 55 Old 04-04-2010, 08:55 PM
jdg

I actually started a Blockbuster-by-mail subscription to save money. Got rid of all but the major network channels on my tv, started Blockbuster, had a net savings of $25/month. Currently sitting near my DVD player are Slumdog Millionaire, Confessions of a Shopaholic, and the first disc of the series Breaking Bad.

Lately, I've been watching less. I think it's because I usually don't turn on the tv until I'm "settling in" for the night and with DST pushing sundown so late, I don't think to settle in until it's too late to start a movie. It's 8:00 here, and just now getting to twilight - still have to make/eat dinner and do a couple of chores before I can settle in, and then have to go to bed early enough to get enough sleep before the alarm goes off in the morning.

Jackie
#5 of 55 Old 04-04-2010, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

For a while we canceled cable and just used Netflix. Then we ended up just watching as much (or more) tv online, so it didn't really save me time. Then during college basketball season we just couldn't function without tv. OK, we probably could have lived, but decided to go back anyway. I still sometimes have some conflict about it.

DS is 16 months, and he had fun at a toddler Easter egg hunt! The eggs were all just out on the grass, but he had a great time collecting them. I'm not sure he would have been able to hunt them if they were hiding.

#6 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 12:24 AM

We have been watching Lost (season 4) on streaming Netflix. (Used to have Blockbuster, but with the streaming and 1-out-at-a-time DVD with Netflix, we cut our monthly movie costs in 1/2.)

I'm reading The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer. I don't have much time to read, so I've been trying to work through a bunch of birth/VBAC books. I start a second, temporary part-time job this week (on top of being SAHM), so I will have no time to myself for reading for about a month probably.

We went to a candy hunt yesterday (thought it would be eggs, but there were so many kids I guess they just decided to throw out candy instead of eggs). DS had a good time and the weather was nice. We did a small egg hunt here in the house today, then went to SIL's for dinner. So good!!! Now, I'm winding down after a big dinner, and trying to prepare for a busy week. :-)

Joanna, 6 years married to DH, Mom to 3-1/2 yo DS Owen and DD Taylor, born 6/14/10 by unmedicated
#7 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 12:54 AM

I rent dvds from the library. Today we picked up quite a few.. I know I have Voyager season 5 in there..

Mama moose- can you tell me all the Sookie books in order? I know I missed some somewhere..
#8 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 02:08 AM

yep!
Dead Until Dark
Living Dead in Dallas
Club Dead
Dead To The World
Dead As A Doornail
Definitely Dead (the one I'm on! )
All Together Dead
From Dead To Worse
Dead and Gone

I SHOULD be reading my doula books but I think at this point I need to just step back, take off that hat, focus on my own pregnancy and birth and just have some relax time. I really wanted to fit it all in and get my cert done before this new baby came, but it just ain't gonna happen, so to speak!
So I'll read trashy vampire novels and crochet some longies instead

#9 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mama moose* View Post

I SHOULD be reading my doula books but I think at this point I need to just step back, take off that hat, focus on my own pregnancy and birth and just have some relax time. I really wanted to fit it all in and get my cert done before this new baby came, but it just ain't gonna happen, so to speak!
ME TOO!! LOL!

The plan was to get all my certification before this baby comes but I honestly have zero drive to accomplish anything doula related right now. I feel like it takes such a huge amount of energy to sit down and work on my paperwork. I've finished all my certifying births(went to 13 last year) and have one more birth to attend in May. That's gonna be it for at least a year so I guess I'll just take my time this summer to get the rest completed. And funny thing is I, too, am crocheting some longies in my spare time....

Easter was pretty laid back here. Had an egg hunt at my mom's house and went out for breakfast.

I've been so busy lately I haven't had anytime to read anything but birth books. I'm working my way through Heart and Hands for the second time and just recently finished Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering. I'm waiting patiently for my Hypnobabies study course and will be diving into that when I get it.

I'm pretty excited about this coming week. We are clearing out our house(decluttering etc) and having a big garage sale this weekend. I've been sewing lots of fun projects in the evening and right now I'm working on a fun messenger bag Should be done by the time I go the Philadelphia next Tues......for a Midwifery Today Conference!!! Yippee! Michel Odent, Ina May and Elizabeth Davis here I come!! I love my doula work but I know in my heart that being a midwife is really what I want to do.

Are there any gardeners here??? I'm getting so excited about getting my veggies going and I have some new perennials that I'm planting this year. I love digging in the dirt

Take Care!

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#10 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, azdaisy, you are fixing to be busy! Is the temp job interesting? And how are you feeling about VBAC? I thought Thinking Woman's Guide was a great book. I loaned mine to someone and forgot where it went.

mama_moose, how much further do you have to go for certification? My good friend was our doula/assistant with DS, and now she is our mw for this one! She is a student, but very experienced and her proctor is amazing.

So debating going in to L&D today. I've been spotting since Saturday night. I already knew there was a placenta previa, so I didn't feel like it was necessary yesterday. It's been brown, and I've talked with both my mw and the CNM we do parallel care with. Both said brown is OK to keep an eye on, but any red go in. What concerns me is that it's still going. It's been about 36 hours. Last night it was super light, thought it was done, but it got a little heavier this morning.

My friends and family are being AWESOME and getting DS out of the house to run around and play and get out some energy, so I can just lie on the couch and check MDC and watch Gilmore Girls. If I'm going to the hospital, I'd rather do it during the day than going to the ER overnight, you know?

#11 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 12:15 PM

Burnindinner, I'd go in. They're going to send you up to L&D instead of ER anyways so there won't be a huge wait, and it's better to be on the safe side. I had bleeding in my last pregnancy....guess where I was bleeding from? A severe UTI that I had NO clue I had! scary. I hope your cervix is just irritated or something non-worrisome like that

I have 3 books left to read, and I think 2 essays? I'm doing Birth Arts distance learning program so there is a lot more bookwork than other programs. I like it, but at this point I almost wish I had just done a weekend course program, I'd be done long long ago......oh well. I've been to 3 births, but don't have paperwork on any of them *hits forehead*, so I still have all 5 births to attend too, which won't happen for awhile with a new baby in the house. So I guess my new plan is to be done with bookwork by the time baby is 6 months, and then hopefully attend some births around a year PP?
TulaFina, I'm dying of envy that you're going to the conference! My heart is in midwifery as well. Especially after attending hospital births....I just know that's not where I want to be long term. My midwives are opening a birth center in our area in the near future, and my secret hope is that I'll work there someday. I can't believe you're attending a birth in May! I think I would fall over and die! You rock mama!

I'm a gardener too, sort of, in that, I plant a veggie garden I'm so lazy this year (hmmm, maybe because I'm 32 weeks pregnant... ) My grandpa is going to come over and till the ground for me I think this week or next week, and then I'm going to just get a few plants and go from there. I'm not bothering with seeds this year, and I think I'm just doing tomatoes, squash, and some beans, maybe cucumbers too. Easy to maintain stuff. Which my husband will end up maintaining for me

Any baseball fans out there?? Opening day today! (Except the games last night...confusing....) I think my DH is taking DD1 to a game tonight, I think my pelvis objects to stadium seating, plus my DD2 has a nut allergy which makes baseball not the safest sport to be in love with. We live in the Bay Area so we're A's fans, but really Red Sox fans at heart My friend showed me this today, I think this is on my "need" list
Red Sockies

Ok everyone, have a good day!! I'll be thinking of you Burnindinner!

#12 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Argh now it's super light again. Lying down seems to really be helping.

mama moose, usually I like to have a small vegetable garden too. I'd like to have at least tomatoes, peppers and some herbs this year, but I know DH will end up having to tend it. Which means it won't really happen, so it might be nicer to the plants to not start.

#13 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Burnindinner, I'm glad it's lightened up with lying down. Take good care and keep us posted.

Movies: I also canceled Netflix to save money. Now DH and I are working our way through The Office season 3, and watching new episodes of Lost whenever they come out online. I also keep up on Flashforward, Brothers & Sisters, Desp. Housewives, House, and a few others. I watch them on my laptop while I cook/clean, but now am having to slow down and put my feet up more due to swelling. My house is pretty much a wreck, though the dishes and bathroom are fairly clean.

Book: My MIL just gave me The Attachment Connection (I LOVE her!) and so far it is really interesting. I can tell DH has some rigid thinking when it comes to babies and children due to the way he was raised and he doesn't realize how his parents, esp his mom, learned the hard way that they were affecting their kids. Maybe he will take time to read the book since his mom gave it to us.

Can't believe June is coming so quickly! I'm dying to set up a birth plan w/my OB just to have it all down on paper. My OB is really great about that. She actually asks her patients what kind of birth they want to have. I will probably have to have a C-section, and a birth plan would be especially important in that case. I am dying to ask her if she'll allow me to go into labor before cutting me open, and I want to hold my baby and nurse right away.

Gardening - I love doing it, just HATE the bugs!! Mainly the stinging insects. So I signed up for my local CSA and get fresh natural organic produce the easy way starting in May. Can't wait!!

Living happily and embracing adventures.
#14 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 03:34 PM

Hey mama's! We had a whirlwind weekend! Drove down to the bay for one day (3 hours of driving in a 7 hour time frame) and then paid for it on sunday with my SPD! Still paying for it today, and i have an entire house to clean! I could barely roll out of bed, it's so bad. And i've been desperately trying NOT to complain. But im in misery and just want my crotch/pubic area to STOP hurting.

I just started Heart & Hands by Elizabeth Davis. I just finished Spiritual Midwifery as a refresher. Last night we watched 2012, not something i'd recommend for anyone who's having vivid dreams. Spent the night tossing and turning trying to figure out how to get my family safely through the destruction of the world. Which is ironic, since i don't ever give the end of the world a 2nd thought lol.

Spring Break is over, so it's time to get back on school. The girls were bored, sick and stuck inside with cold weather last week. So hopefully this week will be better. I can't believe we only have about 11 weeks left and i'll have survived a year of homeschooling! I'm really looking forward to summer, we had a lovely summer last year. I just love these ages (6 and 4) and my oldest is swimming now, so we're very excited to spend a lot of time at Grammy's house with the pool.

If anyone can send me any vibes/prayers we'd appreciate it. We should hear back tonight or tomorrow on a rental house. We NEED this. Currently we are in a 900 square foot apartment with 2 adults, 2 kids and a 95 lb dog. It's very suffocating for me, and i don't feel "safe" enough to birth here. We moved here originally while dh was gone with Army training for 7 months and it was a perfect fit, but once he came home with all his military gear and ACU's and whatnot. . . it got pretty cramped. So we found a house with double the square footage and only a $100 increase in what we are paying now for rent. Our credit is crap, the last year on army wages sucked us dry. So we are hoping that dh meeting with the landlord today was enough since we are awesome tenants. Hoping to move in by May 1st, so i'm plenty settled in and can finally start nesting.

Speaking of, what have you all been doing nesting-wise? I love hearing/seeing! Normally i get a huge nesting stage right at 20 weeks and everything is done and ready by then. But this time around, i knew we werent staying so i've been pushing it all down!!! Driving me crazy.

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#15 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 04:09 PM

aka mommy-Hope all works out with the rental place! We are in a rental, so we don't have a lot of extra room. New DD will be in our room, but I want to get some of those decal things to put on at least a little area of the wall in our room, to make it her space. DH kind of thinks I'm crazy, as we both know DD won't know the difference, but with DS, we never got a nursery set up until he was about 1. (Not that he used it before then!) When pregnant with him, we were planning to sell our house and move. As his birth came closer and closer, we realized that we weren't going to sell the house. We started thinking nursery, but DS came almost two wks early, and we didn't get the decorating done. I'd love to at least do SOMETHING this time around. ;-)

burnindinner-Yep, super busy, but we really need the money. When I take time off around DD's birth, I won't have any income, which we normally count on to pay our rent. So, I'm trying to work as much as I can now, allowing me to take at least a few weeks off after birth, hopefully. I need to sit down and re-figure our finances to make sure we're going to have enough to cover all of our bills, rest of doula payment, hospital/midwife deductible, etc. Eek! (Hope your placenta issue resolves quickly!)

Tulafina-Also so hoping you have a wonderful time at the midwifery conference! That sounds awesome!!

Joanna, 6 years married to DH, Mom to 3-1/2 yo DS Owen and DD Taylor, born 6/14/10 by unmedicated
#16 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 04:21 PM

Hello mamas!

As for movies we just pick up whatever is at red box. We don't have cable so no tv for us. Some days I really wish we had it.

Books I am reading Super natural home, lots of birth/midwifery books an New moon.

I am hoping to get the rest of our garden in this week. I have garlic in from the fall and I planted onions in March. I am hoping that dh will work on building a chicken coop/tractor.
Ds1 has been saving up his money to buy some chicks. We had chickens at our last house and miss them, I miss there fresh eggs too.

I have been looking online for homeschooling crriculm for next year. We pretty much unschooled but I am feeling like I need to do more with ds1 he will be 9. He is also asking for more structured school work. Homeschooling mamas what do you use?

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10
#17 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 05:25 PM

Hi fellow June Mommas...

I'm glad to see a weekly thread pop up. We do seem to be a quieter DDC, which is okay... we must be a busy bunch... but as we get closer, we are going to want to know how all of us are doing!

Burnindinner - So scary about the previa and the bleeding. I hope that it continues to lighten. Keep us posted. And that is great that you have help with DS - it wouldn't be easy to keep up with him on bedrest!

azdaisy - I also will be out of income once baby-DS arrives, at least for a couple weeks, and then a much smaller income after that. I keep getting after DH to redo the budget! That way I can see how much work I need to find (I will be working at home as a medical transcriptionist) and how much we'll need to cut back!

Aka mommy - Fellow SPD sufferer here to sympathize with you. OUCH, to my poor groin and hip. At our childbirth class we learned an exercise that I thought was helping, but its such a funny problem - some days are so much worse than others! My current "read" is the book by Cecile Rost, about Pelvic Pain in Pregnancy.

bananabee - So glad to hear things are better with DH!

I recently signed up for Netflix - the cheapest plan they have. With Redbox I noticed DD would get attached to a movie and NEVER want us to return it. Now that gets really expensive! Otherwise we just get DVDs from our local library. I can put them on hold through the on-line catalog, they get sent to my library, and I pick them up. Its wonderful (and free)! No real cable here either, unless you count the $8 basic plan which just lets us watch the regular channels.

I still can't believe how close June is. I'm a late June-er... so I'll be around for longer than some of you... but it really is getting exciting!

We were possibly moving, but now most likely staying put, so I'm excited to really start nesting and setting up Caleb's room. Over the weekend I SUPER cleaned under and behind the stove and fridge (which didn't help my SPD), but with a dog and cat, we were "growing" an extra pet back there.

Lis ~ Married to my favorite boy partners.gif and raising "our" three ~
DS 14 (hisjammin.gif ~ DD 9 (mineloveeyes.gif ~ toddlerDS 2! (ours) bouncy.gif

#18 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 05:45 PM

azdaisy- I hope you're able to! We set up a nursery for our first, which we never used lol! It was so beautiful, funny how back then we had a bigger place than we have now!!! Our main issue is overcrowding. We have an olympic queen and a toddler bed in a room that is about 10' by 12'. We barely fit. We all sleep in the same bedroom, except dh due to his knee injury. So with the new place the master is big enough to fit the girls in a daybed, right next to our bed!!! I'm really having issues with moving the girls out of our room yet, anyone else have a family 'room'? DD#2 sleeps next to me, dd#1 sleeps in the toddler bed right up against our bed (we took it off the bedframe to relieve my spd pain) and dh would sleep with me and dd#2 but he can't handle the movement. I'm tired of hearing how it's time to move them out of our room and am curious how it will work out with a newborn and if it will bother them to be woken up by the babe?

neldabean- So envious of your greenthumb! I have a brown thumb. Only thing i am capable of 'growing' are babies and dogs lol. Though i did love digging in the dirt, such a release. As far as homeschooling, we used more mainstream curriculums since we went through a charter. They definately aren't my favorites, i really wanted to use Oak Meadow but it wasn't in our budget and our Charter didn't accept it as a vendor. So we used Sing, Spell, Read & Write which i heavily modify. Singapore for math. And then the normal Ca state stuff for science and history/social science. But it helps me to know i'm on the right time line and it gives me the structure i need to keep with it. Plus i will most likely have to return to work this fall which means putting the girls back in school, so this way i know they are up to state standards and wont have any issues intigrating back in. Probably none of the concerns you have since you followed an unschooling approach this year!

lisko15- Are you finding anything helpful in the Pelvic Pain book? I'm sorry you're miserable. I really wouldnt wish this pain on anyone! I keep trying to tell myself there is pleasure beneath the pain, but this doesnt fall into that catagory lol! I also tell myself a dozen times a day that my pelvis/crotch feel wonderful. It isn't helping either lol!

I totally hear you on the pet hair! It's why i must clean today. We have dog hair everywhere and it's driving me batty! Oh well!

#19 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

bananabee, I also signed up for a CSA! I think ours starts the last week in April? They also have a drop off point at our neighborhood library. I am in love.

azdaisy, my sister just had her baby 2 weeks early too. She had just hit a nesting patch and got all the crucial stuff done.

aka mommy, hope the new place works out!

lisko, have you ever gone to the chiropractor?

Spotting keeps getting lighter, woo hoo! I've spent the day signing up for various blog giveaways. My favorites are dirtydiaperlaundry.com and thebkeepsushonest.blogspot.com

Well, back to Gilmore Girls until my lovely sis comes home with DS.

#20 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 06:47 PM

We are a busy bunch!

As for movies and books..no time to watch tv or read these days, I spend most of my downtime reading the threads here on mdc ;p

Kids are on spring break this week, of course DH and both boys are sick..I feel bad for DD since shes stuck in the house with a bunch of sick people and a mamma working 9 hours a day

Had an ultrasound on friday..found out we are having a girl! everyone is super excited..we have balance..2 boys and 2 girls so I told my DH I am sooo done otherwise we would be shooting for the brady bunch and I'm feeling to old this time around to do that.

No nesting yet, we live in a 2 bdrm condo..the boys have 1 room and DD the other which doubles as my office ( I telecommute). We have the living room (pull out couch) and the baby will be with us for awhile then into the office with DD..I am budgeted all the way out til 6/15 when we can FINALY buy stuff for this one..I am due 6/21 so lets hope she stays put long enough for me to hit the thrift store for some baby clothes.

I sure envy all you mammas out there with all the energy for gardening, and going and doing! All I want to do is sleep LOL

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."- Kurt Cobain
#21 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 10:09 PM

Fun arrivals today!

I got in the mail- 1 birth kit! and 1 birth pool! (I am incredibly excited over this )

Dp went and picked me up a moby wrap D from craigslist.. pretty Asian print silk one.. had a bunch of dog hair on it (ick) but it is in the dryer on "air" at the moment and is lovely!
#22 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 11:02 PM

Ohh sounds like a fun day of getting stuff Pinoikoi!

#23 of 55 Old 04-06-2010, 01:09 AM

I love getting stuff in the mail! I'm super excited to get my beads and swap gift! I'm a slacker and still working on my gift for my swap mama. This week, it WILL get done this week!

I have a year round CSA and love it! One reason I love living in CA, we can grow food year round. We've mostly gotten citrus, root veggies, and greens for awhile, but last week we got a little box of strawberries and some asparagus.....summer is on it's way!

Burnindinner- I'm glad the spotting is getting lighter. I really hope it's nothing, and I hope the placenta issues resolve!!

SPD mamas, I have it too....it's awful isn't it I can barely walk around my house. ugh. I'm taking prenatal yoga once a week and it seems to be helping, my teacher for that had a lot of suggestions for me on modifying movements to help with the pain, and I've found myself doing some of the yoga stuff at 3am when I just want to cry!
I also have restless leg, so my nighttime "sleep" is a joke!! A nursing newborn will be a welcome change from the searing pain/need to pee/creepy crawlies in my legs all night long!

As far as nesting....babe will be in our room, so there's not much to do, but I'm getting a dresser from Freecycle so I'm excited to fold and put away all the little baby clothes! Other than that I'm just cleaning as much as I can around the pain, and making lots of "honey-do lists" to try to make my house a birth-happy place.....I want to birth in a CLEAN house!

Ok, 2 year old is telling me she has poop. Don't you love that, when they can tell you they did it, but not yet do it on the potty so you still have to change it??

#24 of 55 Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 AM

Aka mommy - I'm having a hard time focusing on the pelvic pain book when I read it. Isn't that awful? DH has been scanning it too, and found a couple exercises we've tried that need a partner. There is a lot of post-pregnancy info, but I'm really hoping all the pain is gone by then! Currently I don't feel like my SPD has gotten any worse, even with the bigger belly, so that is a relief. Its the shooting pain I get in my inner thighs with some movements that makes me cringe the most.

The book did clue me in to WHY I'm having SPD this time around. Trauma to the pelvic area or tailbone can cause it. About three years ago this summer I fell down our stairs HARD and injured my tailbone. It took a good 8 weeks for it to heal. I figure since then something has been totally out of whack and all the loose ligaments are making it worse. At least it helped me to identify a WHY!

Burnindinner - I've never gone to the chiro. Something about it weirds me out... However, if post-baby my symptoms aren't better I think I will need to definitely think about it.

*mama moose* - Symphathizing with you on the SPD...

I really wanted to exercise with this pgcy, stay aerobically in shape, to assist in labor this time around. DD was really big and it was exhausting. But so many exercises just make the SPD worse. Sigh... I think I'm going to need to experiment with a few different things over the next week to see if I can find something that doesn't hurt too much.

I'll be ordering the baby's bedding set in the next week or so, and another set of diapers from Cotton Babies. Once we get the baby's bedding, I can get my Mom over to paint the baby's room... put away some baby clothes, and it will start to feel SO REAL! We do need a crib, but baby won't be sleeping in it right away, so I think that might be last.

DD's up... must get her ready for school!

Lis ~ Married to my favorite boy partners.gif and raising "our" three ~
DS 14 (hisjammin.gif ~ DD 9 (mineloveeyes.gif ~ toddlerDS 2! (ours) bouncy.gif

#25 of 55 Old 04-06-2010, 10:26 AM

Finally, 5 minutes to sit and chat here!

I had my 32 week appointment with my MW this morning. I now see her fortnightly, which seems so odd and sudden, even though i am more than ready to be "done" and have this baby! Obviously not now, since that would be rather drastic for the baby, but 40weeks is eagerly anticipated in this house!

On books and films - i just finished Cunt by Inga Muscio and am lending it to various other feminist friends now. I enjoyed it but found that the sort of lines one can draw in the sand as a white lesbian american aren't that handy for many OTHER types of women in the world. Still it had good things in it. I have no films in the offing, i'm waiting for Cemetery Junction, the new Ricky Gervais film to come out at the cinema. The Invention of Lying was appalling but this one has gotten better reviews so hopefully it'll be fun.

I'm nesting a little. Mainly washing baby's things in anticipation, but don't currently own anything to put them in (we'll probably go with storage boxes from ikea as the baby is going in our bedroom where we don't have space or need for a dresser and then in with DD who has masses of wardrobe space they can share. I just did a big load of onesies and sleepsuits (which my babies live in for a few months, i am not excited by "outfits" for people whose limbs are shorter than my feet!) and the nappies are done and waiting to be put somewhere... I sewed my ring sling up last week, and a little receiving blanket which will do for about a day. I've got 3 friends due this summer, one later this month in fact and 2 in July and need to sew up a little gift for each of them too. One i'm doing a sling and a little blanket for, but the other two...no idea. Probably a blanket each actually, since they are so quick. I have some lovely flowery cotton and some super-soft wincyette so i'll probably use those combined for one friend (who is definitely having a girl) and the others...no idea. I made our baby a rockin lap rug for winter, which is red fleece on one side and black-with-flames-cotton on the other....

We still need to buy a new bouncer (DD bent the last one out of all recognition) and i guess i should dig the tummy tub out and wash it out sometime too. Also we need to bring in and set up the cot, we bought a new mattress at the weekend, but my dad has one side of it (we cut bars out when DD learned to try to climb out because it wasn't a drop side so i just provided an exit rather than risking head injuries, and my dad is fitting new dowels where the cut ones were) so that will have to wait. I also need to go buy some strong necklace thread, to thread my nursing necklace, i bought the beads ages ago. And i got a bunch of wool to knit a nice wee cardigan/jacket but am yet to look out my needles. I feel a bit like everything is in chaos and i'm waiting to see through some of the chaos to get everything settled.

I've lost my csection birth plan (in case of transfer) for DD, but can't quite get around to writing another. We're not really going to do a birth plan with our MW because she and i are on the same page ideologically (basically her "normal" aim is a drug-free vaginal birth with everything as natural as possible and she deviates from that only as medically required) and labour is unpredictable enough that i'd rather see what happens than have a fixed idea in my head about how i want it to go. I had a birth plan with DD but as a defence against hospital protocols (it was an NHS homebirth with one ward midwife and one community midwife) which i have no need for with Al, my independent middie.

I'm listing things i have to do before the birth to fill in the time:
- wash baby clothes (In Progress)
- ditto sheets/bedding
- get storage and put clothes/nappies away ready for baby
- set up cot
- sew gifts for 3 summer babies
- write cs/transfer plan
- knit baby jacket
- do 10k (May 9th, i will be WALKING it of course!)
- got to MW's 10-years-as-an-independent-midwife-picnic (last weekend in may when i will be 39+4 or something!)

There's probably a lot more, i add as i go, stops me going mental when i'm overdue...lol
#26 of 55 Old 04-06-2010, 02:35 PM

Today I really need to get the house in order. I feel like everything is looking at me. lol I had a weird dream I had to clean under the fridge. I feel the nesting bug coming on!

GoBecGO We have the tummy tub and love it! I wish I had found it for my first two babies.

mama moose we are on OR. I love the fact we can grow year round. We do need to use a cold frame for green though. I am going to check out that math book. Thanks.

I am with you all on the SPD. That is interesting about the pelvic trauma. After dd was born I fell on a chair and hurt my tail bone and couldn't sit for weeks. It didn't feel better for three months. The with ds2 I had SPD really bad. This time it's sore and hurts when I sit or stand to long but not as bad as it was with ds2. I have dh massage my tailbone that really helps.

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10
#27 of 55 Old 04-06-2010, 02:52 PM

Whats a tummy tub???

Interesting about the SPD. Definitely not the cause of mine though. I had pelvic trauma with my first dd, we went snowboarding before i knew i was pregnant and broke my tailbone. But never had SPD with my previous 3 pregnancies. And i go to a chiro. Ironically, the chiro adjustments make my SPD pain intolerable and give me contractions. DH says NO MORE adjustments to my pelvic region, last time he was afriad i was going into labor. i assumed it was due to having back to back pregnancies (4 months apart) and the relaxin never got completely out of my system and everything is far too loose down there??? Last night was the worst. I can barely roll out of bed, which sucks because im up peeing every hour. Oh well, this is far easier to deal with then a newborns needs so i'm just trying to tell myself it's only a few more months of this pain.

For those cloth diapering, which types are you going with? I did AIO's with my last, but this time I think i'm going to go to pockets or covers with trifolds. I have yet to get any. I'm somewhere in my 32 week and have nothing lol. I did buy 1 box of swaddlers for the first week of meconium, but that's it! i really need to get on the ball and get some CDs! Thankfully dh just got 2 extra jobs and hopefully that will be enough for us to be able to finish everything we need.

GoBecGo, you're so organized! I have fleeting thoughts of things i need to do, but just push them aside lol. Normally i'm NOT a procrastinator, but 8 weeks feels like such a long time off!

#28 of 55 Old 04-06-2010, 03:11 PM

A Tummy Tub video on YouTube. I didn't buy the stand, i stuck it on a worktop usually, or sat on the floor. I really like it though, and it saves a TON of water when they're small.

I am NOT organised. Some of that list i only thought of while i was composing....
#29 of 55 Old 04-06-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post
A Tummy Tub video on YouTube. I didn't buy the stand, i stuck it on a worktop usually, or sat on the floor. I really like it though, and it saves a TON of water when they're small.

I am NOT organised. Some of that list i only thought of while i was composing....
Wow, those are really cool. Smart concept!

And shhhh just take credit for seeming organized lol! At least your brain has enough cells left to make a coherent list! Last night dh was telling me that i really needed to get on my oils and supplements once this baby came because our children had stolen all my smarts. Good thing i love him, i told him they had stolen all his looks.

#30 of 55 Old 04-06-2010, 03:47 PM

I was actually much less sharp, intellectually, with DD. But this baby is my first with DH, who is an aspie, and i think it's a boy, and the combination means i am much sharper this time around. That's my theory anyhow

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page