I failed my glucose screen :-( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-09-2010, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I'm so bummed! My reading was at a 165 apparently and the cutoff is 130. I have to do the GTT which looks intense and I'm just really bummed out about it.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 04-09-2010, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That stinks.

Fwiw, I've failed 2x & then passed the 2nd test with flying colors. It is a hassle and nerve wracking, but apparently a lot of people fail the first and pass the 2nd. I hope the GTT goes well for you!

Mom of 5: dd (10), ds (8) & dd2 (4), my sweet baby son born still 3/2/09, and celebrating the arrival of our dd 5/7/10.
#3 of 15 Old 04-10-2010, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i am sorry. I failed the 1 hr GTT but passed the 3 hr. I hope you pass the next one!
#4 of 15 Old 04-10-2010, 02:13 AM

That is a bummer but keep in mind, the screen just looks for mamas who need further testing. It's not a diagnosis. From what I've read, most women who fail the initial GTT do not have gestational diabetes. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the three hour test isn't too stressful for you and the results come back all clear.

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

#5 of 15 Old 04-10-2010, 12:25 PM

i know how you feel. i failed the 1 hour and then went on to fail the 3 hour test. now i have the dreaded gd label even though all of my numbers since then have been within normal limits! good luck with the 3 hour test - it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. just bring a book!

Me, DW , and DS born 7/6/10
#6 of 15 Old 04-10-2010, 12:40 PM

Arg!!! My doctors cut off was 160! Lucky for me, I could totally be in your boat right now because I think my final read was 133.

Heidi, Married to my sweetheart of 13 yrs Kristopher, Mommy of 7 yr old Kairo, Expecting our sweet little girl Penelope 6/26/2010!
#7 of 15 Old 04-11-2010, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

I know its not a diagnosis, but I just feel crappy about it because I JUST got this placenta previa thing taken care of so I was thinking I was all-clear for a totally normal rest of my pregnancy. Since that was an automatic c-section, it was a big weight off my shoulders when my last ultrasound showed that I only had 2mm (!!!) to go until I was cleared for vaginal delivery and my OB was REALLY confident that I'd get that last 2mm.

I'm also really nervous for the GTT because I have VERY difficult veins to extract blood from. For the screen alone they had to stick me 3 times, and finally had to get blood from my hand which is quite painful. I've always had this problem and it is totally exacerbated by being dehydrated which is a given if I've been fasting and not drinking for 8-12 hours (the nurse said I could drink water, but not alot of water). For this test they need to get blood 4 times from 4 different sites and I just don't have 4 sites for them to get blood from!

I want to ask my OBGYN for an alternative to the test, even if it means acting as if I have GD and using a glucometer for the rest of my pregnancy or having more ultrasounds to check on the baby, but I don't have any alternatives. Do any of you have any suggestions?

#8 of 15 Old 04-11-2010, 11:59 PM

You can do random glucose checks at home by pricking your finger. This should satisfy your practitioner.

You should not have to hold back on drinking any water during fasting, btw.

Good luck!
#9 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 01:50 AM

As an aside, the more I have read here about this test, the more I have to wonder... it seems like everyone has to follow different rules for the test. For the 1 hr screen, I didn't have to fast at all (food or liquid) and I had to stay at the lab as soon as I drank the orange stuff until they did the blood draw. I have heard here about people having to fast, people having to go take a walk, etc... Mind you, I am in Canada, in Ontario, and everywhere here has the same rules. Maybe it isn't the same test?
#10 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippasmum View Post
As an aside, the more I have read here about this test, the more I have to wonder... it seems like everyone has to follow different rules for the test. For the 1 hr screen, I didn't have to fast at all (food or liquid) and I had to stay at the lab as soon as I drank the orange stuff until they did the blood draw. I have heard here about people having to fast, people having to go take a walk, etc... Mind you, I am in Canada, in Ontario, and everywhere here has the same rules. Maybe it isn't the same test?
You have to "fast" for the hour in between drinking the liquid and having the blood test for the glucose screen. The test is more intense.

#11 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

I spoke to the nurse today and she totally understood when I told her I was nervous about them being able find 4 different places to take my blood when they can barely ever find even one. She said she'd talk to the doctor about just prescribing the glucometer and having me test for the next 2 weeks until my next appointment. If things come back okay, then I'm okay. If not then we'll start adjusting things as if I had GD.

I guess the only downside to this is that it probably means more intervention later in pregnancy like ultrasounds and NSTs.

#12 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 10:48 PM

Why can't they use a glucometer during the GTT test? That is what my midwife would do if a patient requested to have the test done (not routine in this practice since it is not supported by science).

Also, drinking water, plenty of it, should be part of your preparation for the test. You are trying to see what your metabolism does when overloaded with ridiculous amounts of artificial sugar, not how your metabolism copes with ridiculous amounts of sugar while being dehydrated. Drinking a glass of water being getting your blood drawn can also help with finding a vein.

While it is nice of the nurse to ask the doctor about alternatives, I would refuse to do anything further without a conversation directly with your doctor about the different options and their implications for the rest of your pregnancy.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#13 of 15 Old 04-13-2010, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

The problem is that it's not just the water, its also not eating. I have very low blood pressure, and without eating its even lower. The fasting will make it very hard to get the veins. Drinking water helps, but its not going to be enough to make 4 spots appear. This has been a problem since I was at the pediatrician, I have very difficult veins. There just aren't 4 spots on my body to get blood from, unless they start looking at my feet... which they have tried to do before but its quite painful.

I actually asked about why they can't use the glucometer during the test and she said it doesn't give the measurements they're looking for. I don't really totally understand, but she seemed to think I could just skip the test (and the unpleasantness of taking the test) and measure my blood sugar during my normal diet. I'm feeling that's an even BETTER plan, since its measuring my regular diet, instead of my diet under sugar duress. Am I missing something here? Could this be a path to something bad?

I also wouldn't be so accepting of this diagnosis if I didn't think they could be correct. I have a very strong family history of diabetes, I'm overweight, and I've been feeling really sick when I eat sugars and refined carbs. My gut is telling me that I probably have GD. Maybe I would resist the diagnosis more if I didn't feel they were probably right.

#14 of 15 Old 04-13-2010, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

So I called the doctor today and she said she's comfortable with me attending a GD class with the dietician and monitoring my blood sugar regularly with the glucometer. She said that she rarely has to induce women with GD if its controlled by diet and she's not feeling like she even needs to do any additional ultrasounds at this time, other than the one she already scheduled for my placenta (but doesn't take any measurements of the baby). From what she said, as long as I can control my blood sugar, this diagnosis of GD makes no difference to my care and I'll be allowed to go to term with no problem.

The only time she starts to get involved is if on a REGULAR basis, I can't control my sugar and I need insulin or if I am measuring quite far ahead and she feels we need to take a look inside and see what's going on. One GD risk that I didn't know about was that you have a higher risk of polyamnios which can cause an irritable uterus and possibly preterm labor so they're going to keep an eye on my fundus from now on to get a sense of how I'm measuring and fluctuation. I'm measuring spot on for my gestational age right now so she thinks its not a big deal and that I probably have an issue so minor that I'll be able to adjust my diet to compensate and go on to have an uneventful pregnancy.

#15 of 15 Old 04-14-2010, 01:12 AM

Another reading that might help set your minds at ease would be a Hemoglobin A1C reading. That gives a 3 month average of your blood sugar and would tell you if it's consistently high. GD isn't anything to mess around with, but I personally would hate to live with a GD diagnosis and the increased monitoring associated with it based on just 1 high GTT.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page