Anyone else not gaining much weight? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-12-2010, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What does your HCP say about it? My mw hasn't seemed concerned so far, but when I see her on Thursday she'll find out I'm down 3 pounds from last visit for a net gain of 6 or 7 pounds at 32 weeks. Does it matter at this point? DH is starting to nag, but I feel like I am eating as much as I can. I've heard you'll naturally gain more in the 3rd trimester, and that's when it is more important for babe anyway. I weigh the same now as I did the last week in Feb.
#2 of 14 Old 04-12-2010, 02:46 PM

I wasn't gaining weight until recently. I didn't gain anything until 22 weeks, and then in the following 5 weeks I gained 11 pounds. I'm up a couple more now. My OBs have never been concerned about lack of weight gain. I was up a total of 10 pounds at delivery with ds and 2 with dd2. They grew just fine and all was good.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#3 of 14 Old 04-12-2010, 06:16 PM

This time i'm gaining. But for 2 of my pregnancies i gained 14 lbs, my mw's werent concerned even though i started off at a low weight. It's just how my body handled it. The babies weighed 8 lbs.

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#4 of 14 Old 04-12-2010, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

With dd1 I gained about 30 lbs or so... I for sure was not expecting this. How were you reassured that babes were okay? Did your midwives estimate size?
#5 of 14 Old 04-12-2010, 07:22 PM

I've only gained 14 pounds so far this pregnancy and I lost a pound between visits this last time around. My doctor isn't worried about it since baby is getting bigger. I think my DF is more worried than anything, b/c I'm only up 4 pounds from my pre-preg weight, since I lost 10 pounds w/in the first month b/c of m/s. I'm actually hoping that I don't gain much more weight, honestly. I don't want to have to loose a ton of weight before my wedding.

Gina: Wife to BrandonMommy to Azlea Noel 1-7-04, Valerie Raelle 9-28-05 and Merrick Lux born 5-29-10. S/m to Riley 6-27-02[/COLOR]
#6 of 14 Old 04-12-2010, 08:17 PM

With my first, I gained about 30 pounds but this time I only gained about 5 so far. I did start out heavier this time though. I figure that as long as I am eating and my uterus is on track, there is no need to worry. My huge belly is proof that things are good.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#7 of 14 Old 04-12-2010, 08:22 PM
jdg

My midwife isn't super-worried, though I did get what I'll call a "talking to" at the last visit. I'm up about 15 lbs overall, my weight has plateued in the last month, and my fundal height hasn't changed in the last four weeks. I'll be 33 weeks tomorrow.

The baby moves frequently, has a good strong clear heartbeat, and seems to be growing as evidenced by how much he fills up the space inside me (as far as we can tell by poking and prodding, anyway). My MW wants me to pay more attention to what I'm eating and swap some of the grains and fruits in my diet out and replace them with extra protein. But that was about it.

Jackie
#8 of 14 Old 04-12-2010, 11:10 PM

I have gained 6 lbs total. But then I had to reschedule last week's appt so we will see if I have gained more tomorrow.
#9 of 14 Old 04-12-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer Beater View Post
With dd1 I gained about 30 lbs or so... I for sure was not expecting this. How were you reassured that babes were okay? Did your midwives estimate size?
I wasn't worried in the least. My mw's were at first but after looking at my diet log for 3 weeks they were content that i was getting enough protein and fresh foods. By the time the 3rd rolled around they realized this was just how my body did it. They could tell by touch that the babies were all good sized, as well. They did estimate size, but i asked them to not let me know as i didn't want to have a preconceived notion in my head or be fearful if they estimated 9+ lbs.

My new mw though wants her clients to gain at least 30, which im right at (already, yikes!) so this time around i'm not sure what the difference is (except the 4 months between pregnancy being too close on my body) as i eat much the same, but am getting less water this pregnancy.

Our of all 4 pregnancies the only time i've had a care provider worry was with my first. And i lost a ton of weight due to hyperemesis, was put on IVs and zofran and a high fat/high calorie diet. Through determination and sheer will power i managed to gain 28 lbs the last trimester with that one. My ob was very pleased. Interestingly enough, the pregnancy where i gained 28 lbs and the pregnancy where i gained 14 lbs . . . i started out at the same low weight and both children weighed exactly the same - 8 lbs 2 oz.

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#10 of 14 Old 04-13-2010, 06:48 AM

I've gained about 3 or 4 pounds. My midwives haven't said anything, I'm overweight anyway so I don't think it really matters that much.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#11 of 14 Old 04-13-2010, 02:36 PM

As of my 28 week visit, two weeks ago, I had gained 16 lbs. (136 up from 120 pre-pregnancy) I'm surprised because with DD I gained a total of 58 lbs. (168 up from 110 pre-pregnancy) and I'm quite certain it didn't all come in the last ten weeks!

I also consistently measured small with DD - by a centimeter or two every time - and she was still 8 lbs. 14 oz. at birth. This time I'm measuring right on target and feeling lots of movement, baby is growing well, strong heartbeat, etc., which is all reassuring to me.

Every pregnancy and every baby is different; it seems like our bodies instinctively respond to that regardless of what the scale says!

treehugger.gif
#12 of 14 Old 04-13-2010, 11:59 PM

i have gained 13 lbs @ 30 weeks. started at 120. i am matching exactly the weight gain of my first, although i am trying to eat a lot!!! i ate lots then too. my total weight gain first time was 20lbs, and dd was 8 2.5 lbs. so i think i'm having another girl. i do get a few comments like 'you're so small' from people, but i think they mean that i am 'normal' everywhere else and am just gaining a belly.

so, i'm not worried this time and i know i am eating very well. i have a wheat and dairy allergy with takes most of the good stuff out, and the treats! i try for 3 meals and 3 snacks a day, although the size of my meals is shrinking with my stomach.

my midwife is not concerned, growth is right on target. she thinks it's silly that i want to try and gain more weight. i wouldn't mind some reserves for breastfeeding.

my advice for others in the same situation is to ensure awesome nutrition, lots of protein & veg fats, and then relax about it. i eat avocados, eggs, seeds, and nuts a lot!

Jese Mom to Elaina (April 2007) & Macy (June 2010). #3 m/c at 10 weeks (July 2013), #4 m/c at 9 weeks (october 2013). Expecting again! Due October 22/2014.
#13 of 14 Old 04-17-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorker View Post
I've gained about 3 or 4 pounds. My midwives haven't said anything, I'm overweight anyway so I don't think it really matters that much.
Wow. So I weighed myself again and am somehow back to my pre-preg weight. I'm sure I'll still gain plenty in my last month, as I did with dd, but I really wasn't expecting that!

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#14 of 14 Old 04-27-2010, 06:01 AM

I'm only five feet tall and with my first one I gained about 50 pounds. For number two my goal was not to gain as much, but I'm still eating a lot - not gaining huge amounts, just right. I'm 32 weeks and I've gained 22 pounds. I'm pleased with that. I was worried I was going to gain a lot like the first one. So unless something crazy happens, I'm feeling confident that I'll make it out of this pregnancy with a gain of around 30ish pounds.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page