Braxton-Hicks or baby's position??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It feels odd that I can't tell the difference - but there are times when I know I'm having some BH cx. Then, there are times when my belly just feels hard because I think that's how this little critter is laying. But then I worry - am I having too many BH cx? Is something off?

Like he gets himself wedged into one spot and that spot is really hard while the other side of my belly will have some "squish" to it. Does that make any sense?

I asked my OB about it (it was the one I like the least in the practice) and he said; "Oh yeah - it's fine."

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#2 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I experience exactly the same thing quite often, and the same questions run through my mind. When I described it to my OB, she thought it was BH contractions. When I talked to the NP, she said it could be the baby's movement or position that triggers them. They come on so slowly and go away slowly that I'm not worried because I can't really count them. I did have a hot flash during one yesterday, which made me a little nervous, but I was thirsty so I got some water and felt fine. I figure if I'm really going into labor, it'll be more intense and they'll continue instead of going away for hours at a time.

Living happily and loving it!
#3 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 03:39 PM

For me BH are when my entire belly is hard and I can feel the outline of my whole uterus. When baby is pushing/turning (he's still flipping from breech to transverse to vertex etc), my belly feels hard but not the entire thing, moreso where baby is.

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#4 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 06:35 PM
jdg

I would describe the difference about as at the hip did. For me, even though my whole uterus is hard during BH I primarily feel the tightness in the lower part of my uterus, though if I push with myhands I can clearly tell its the whole thing. Also, the BH ctx only last a short while, whereas if my babe has decided to settle in somewhere a bit uncomfy for me, that's sure to last a while!

My midwife says the BH ctx are very normal at almost any frequency. Her belief is that many women have them a lot more often than they consciously notice anyway, and she's just happy when her clients are noticing them with some frequency as she sees it as a sign that people are paying more attention to their bodies.

Mine seem to come in "waves". Or at least I notice them in waves. Today, I noticed a couple spaced throughout my work day, and then I've had three just while sitting at my computer in the last half hour. MW has assured me it's all normal.

Jackie
#5 of 7 Old 04-15-2010, 05:17 AM

I have the same issue at times. I try to remember that for ME, BH ctx take my breath away just a tiny bit as they start up. I think they push baby into my lungs, because I feel like I can't get a deep breath and then suddenly they go away and I'm breathing fine again.

When it's baby causing my stomach to become hard/uncomfy, I don't have that take my breath away feeling.

I just had about 5 BHs in the past hour. Once I stood up, they went away (go figure). I think sometimes it's like baby causes them by changing his position or something? This little guy is still flipping all over, which I am sure causes my uterus to become slightly irritated.
#6 of 7 Old 04-15-2010, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I was pretty sure that most of it was baby's position - but I think he might have flipped from breech so that might explain why it feels kind of odd too.

Also - this is a little TMI but ... I did a little experiment last night. I know that I get BH cx when I (ahem) have an orgasm. So - I had myself an orgasm and felt my belly to remind myself - OH yeah - that's what a cx is like. And it was totally different from the baby-in-weird-position hardness.

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#7 of 7 Old 04-16-2010, 07:30 AM

I am having a lot of BH, i mean a LOT. They take my breath away too, but i don't think it's directly related to my lungs because i could feel them in my throat when i was only 12 or 13 weeks pregnant. Must be on a meridian or something - helpful reminded though, of Ina May's "as above, so below" sphincter theory.

I had 6 in an hour the other day, so i drank a pint of water and they slowed up. I definitely get them more when i'm not well-hydrated, but then i do sometimes get them when i am too. Yesterday i had 3 all day and then in bed i had them in waves every 10mins or so for an hour. I talked to my MW about them and we decided that since they don't hurt at my cervix they're fine and non-worrying. I use them to practice my labour breathing (slow and deep) and mantra's ("oooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh hhhhhhhhhh", "doooooooooooooown baby" and "oooooooooooooooooooooooopppppppeeeeeeeeeennnn n" and i also might use "ooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" (as in yes in French)).

It's kind of exciting. I just realised i can begin RLT at 34 weeks, which is Tuesday! Gonna pick a few boxes up this weekend

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page