Join Date: Dec 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.
Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned
I wanted to say that even with my fused spine we are going with the MW and a birth center. I know my surgery will be 2 years prior at time of birth, and it's different than yours, but having the fusion doesn't mean you HAVE to have a section. Many doctors even assume that if you've had a fusion ANY time in the past you can NOT deliver a baby at all and HAVE to have a section. This isn't true at all and it's all up to your own comfort level.
I would try to let your body work on it's own, let nature take it's course and see where it leads you. I know it's a tough decision and for my dh and I it was clear I didn't want to deal with any other surgeries. My dh is VERY supportive of me and against sections as much as I. So he knew how important it was for me to RUN from the OB practice we were in and get to the MW this January.
I wish you the best of luck in making your decision, and I would try to look around see what I can find out for you too.
I am guessing that the pps have had experiences where their dilation was checked and were told to start pushing right away instead of waiting for physiological pushing (the reflexive uncontrollable urge) when the bb's head is down low and ready to come out.
Why does this waiting for normal urge not happen more in a typical hospital birth? Providers have never been trained or have really experienced the concept, and arbitrary (Freedman's curve, or bed, dinner, you name it time...) and psychological time constraints placed upon women by their care providers.
I have seen plenty of hospital births over the years to know that 10cm pushing vs physiologically directed pushing is standard of care with almost all in hospital practitioners (except for the rare rare rare ob and some CNM's).
Funny it is how many of my cleint's babies come out without me ever even giving them a single vaginal exam. This waiting is also one of the larger reasons why CPM's have a 3%-6% c/s rate vs a 30% c/s rate that is typical in hospital.
Have a look at this discussion, it might help you to have a better discussion with your doctor, or to understand more where she is coming from? ...because if this is what she is thinking about then I think it is a very legit option because it will not cause a lot of stress on your body/back...AND the likelihood of you needing a vacuum extraction in this scenario is very low... in fact I would print out this link and bring it to her and ask her if this is what she is talking about. Also, if this method doesn't work for you you can ask for a c/s instead of vacuum at the time. Like GoBeccaGo said it is safer for the baby to initiate birth then to schedule a c/s. Personally I would rather have vacuum then major surgery, only because from a medical evidence based stand point I feel for me the risks of major surgery outweigh the risk of judicial use of a vacuum device, but that is me....AND I have not had painful back surgery either!
Good luck with your decisions!
|39 members and 17,230 guests|
|AllTomorrowsParties , bananabee , Dakotacakes , Deborah , Dovenoir , emmy526 , Fluffer , girlspn , harrietsmama , hillymum , incorrigible , Iron Princess , lawmama1984 , lisak1234 , mama24-7 , Mayar , Mirzam , mumto1 , newmamalizzy , RollerCoasterMama , samaxtics , sarrahlnorris , scott33 , shantimama , Skippy918 , smith5ab , Socks , Springshowers , sren , TealCandy , VsAngela , worthy , Zoe Smith|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 01:21 PM.|