Weekly chat - April 25 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 04-25-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Woo hoo! I feel tons better today. Hooray for Tylenol, vit C and water! I had enough sense to stay home from church and enlisted my cousin to take DS this afternoon while DH is at study group meetings.

Have I mentioned what an amazing man my DH is? He's working full time, going to part time school for his master's and taking care of me and DS. I do not see how he's functioning so well! It's a good thing we waited a few years to have kids, we so would not have the maturity to do this a few years ago.

Got some new custom diapers from Rainshine Designs yesterday. Made me so happy.

QOTD: what is your favorite way to pamper yourself right now? Chocolate? Long bath? painting your nails?
Today it is watching ridiculous tv on DVR while lying on the couch. It is so nice to have a little bit of time by myself!

mama moose, when do you go talk to your mw about whether to encourage labor? What are you thinking about it these days?

neldabean, we've had a garden for the past 3 summers, and I've learned DH has a lot of enthusiasm for the garden in the spring, but I end up doing all maintenance, thusly we have way more plants than I can keep up with.
Did I mention we have 8 tomato plants, and we don't even really eat a ton of tomatoes. But we like to play with heirlooms. So we have Cherokee Purple and German Johnson, but we also have some Carbon and Cosmonaut Volkov.

And baby says hi. He is trying to escape today.

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#2 of 35 Old 04-25-2010, 11:58 AM

Dang, I posted last night on last weeks, forgetting it's a new week this morning (neldabean, go read that one, I put a thank you in it!)

Burnindinner- I'm SO glad you feel better!! Vit C is good stuff, I'll take that Emergen-C stuff when I'm sick and it tends to help me get over it faster. And hey, you're doing better than me on the church thing, I just don't have the energy to go so I've been skipping But I'm going today.....mostly because there's a free festival thing called "celebrate mama" that's about a block away from my church and starts right after the service is over, it's going to have free kid stuff (like bounce houses) and a bunch of vendors/booths and it seems like a lot of crunchy moms booths, I've heard from doulas that will be there, the holistic mom's group has a booth....so I'm interested to check it out. And I'll feel guilty if I drive all the way to that and skip church

I go to my midwife on Tuesday. I'm still not sure, I want to do two things, have her check my cervix (I suck at doing it myself, though honestly I should just try it again this pregnancy) without messing with anything (and she's very respectful so I trust her to do that), and I want to look at my chart from my last pregnancy. My blood pressure IS going up (my diastolic is up 10 points at this point, I average 65-69 and now I'm up to 75-82 average) , especially as the weather heats up (didn't take it yesterday afternoon but let's just say that walking from TRU to Target outside my hands swelled up so much that I physically could not hold my DD1's hand to cross the road! ew!) , but I forget how quickly it jumped into "too high" last time. I know I was doing the brewer diet hardcore for weeks, and taking cal/mag, and I tried the cream of tarter with water thing, and tried dandelion root, and and and....I just remember weeks and weeks of all of these things that didn't help, so I'm thinking it was higher earlier than this point I'm at now, but if it's following the same pattern and was NOT high or only slightly elevated at 35 weeks, I'll probably decide to do the sweep at 37, only because I can see where it's headed and I think this is my best option at the moment. But I'll also be proceeding with as much caution as possible and have a LONG talk about what all of this means, what less invasive things we can also do, etc. So I'm expecting a long talk with all 3 midwives on Tuesday, because I want to enter into this decision with as much knowledge as possible.

Anyways, garden stuff, I planted heirlooms for the first time this year! We got Cherokee purple too, and a green zebra, a red ponderosa, some kind of yellow cherry I can't remember how to type , and then we have two early girl's, and a sweet 100 cherry. Do heirlooms grow/produce any different than your standard tomato variety have you noticed?

Pampering, hmm...I'm not sure really, I haven't done much of it! I want to paint my nails soon though, I like doing that for some reason.

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#3 of 35 Old 04-25-2010, 03:30 PM

Burnindinner I am so glad you are feeling better!!!!!

*mama moose* I knew I was slacking for a reason. I am so happy you like them!! The soap is totally for you.

I love the little yellow tomatoes! I am pretty sure heirlooms grow just the same as any other. I want to get some green zebras too.

My favorite thing to pamper myself with take a shower without kids knocking. I was reading the twilight saga but finished that a few days ago, so now I am needing something else to do just for me!

Oh my neighbors are throwing me a shower today at 2:00. It should be fun!!

Everyone have a awesome day!

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10
#4 of 35 Old 04-26-2010, 03:04 AM

Little, yummy tomatoes sound delicious!!

This was a very busy weekend...Friday, my mom and friend flew in for the weekend. Saturday morning was the shower. It was very nice, and my SIL did such a nice job with it. Unfortunately, there was a death in DH's family this past week, so my MIL, 3 SIL's, and a couple other people were unable to come to the shower, because the funeral was on Saturday, out-of-town. Those of us who were able to be there had a nice time, though, and my MIL, and at least a couple of the SIL's are going to get together for brunch, or something, in the next couple of weeks.

Today, my friend, mom, and I went through all of the clothes we've had given to us, washed new clothes, and organized our dresser and closet for new LO's clothes. We got the cradle set up, and a bunch of stuff cleared from our room. Now, we just need to get some organizer things for the room for diapers, blankets, etc. What a fun day of nesting...made even better with great help!

How's everyone else been doing? I'm starting to think more and more about a baby coming...wild!! :-)

Joanna, 6 years married to DH, Mom to 3-1/2 yo DS Owen and DD Taylor, born 6/14/10 by unmedicated
#5 of 35 Old 04-26-2010, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

neldabean, tell us about the shower!

azdaisy, it sounds like you are close with your IL's? that is nice! are you feeling prepared after the shower? what "major" stuff are you missing?

ugh, now my dh is sick too. he is such a baby when he is sick. and ds was up twice overnight, so with the tail end of my cold, it is going to be a looooong day. ugh.

#6 of 35 Old 04-26-2010, 12:36 PM

AzDaisy, how fun to have help nesting! I need to find a place for all my baby blankets, I'm not even sure why I have so many, but I just can't get rid of them.....
And it sounds like your shower was lovely even under the circumstances with people not being there because of the funeral, and on the bright side it will be a nice treat to sort of "extend" the shower when you get to go have brunch!

Burningdinner- DH and a kiddo sick is just not fun!! I vote you go hide somewhere!

Neldabean- tell us about your shower! I'm excited to hear about it!

Yesterday was ok, it was HOT in church, and there was a lot of singing that day, which didn't go well with my limited lung capacity And then the "Celebrate Mama" event was a flop, they wouldn't let my little one in the bounce house and there was literally nothing else for kids there, so we ended up just going home, which both kids threw a fit over of course, complete with almost 2 yo on the ground screaming in the parking lot while someone waits for my parking spot and I try to wrangle her into the carseat . But then when we got home we filled up their little kiddie pool in the yard and they "went swimming" for a bit, so that was fun. It was a high of 85 yesterday! We have a ton of shade over our house and ceiling fans so it stays cool in here, but when I went to bed it was 75 in the house and I was highly tempted to throw on the A/C but resisted It's supposed to be 75 today and then suddenly start raining again tomorrow, so who knows what's going on with mother nature in California! I really hope it's sunny and warm next weekend for the shower, because a few of my friends are bringing their kids and I want them to be able to play in the backyard rather than destroy the playroom
Today my goal is to deep clean the bathrooms. And find a spot for my box of baby blankets. Tomorrow is my midwife visit and my DH said if I take the kids with me he'll clean the entire garage......that would be really nice, it's the biggest clutter spot in the house!

#7 of 35 Old 04-26-2010, 02:17 PM

azdasiy~ Your shower sounds really nice! That was really cool of your family to help nest with you!

Burnindinner~ I really hope you can get some rest in today! My dh is such a baby when he gets a cold. It's like taking care of another child sometimes. lol

*mama moose*~ That's a bummer the event was a flop. It sounds like you have about the same weather going on as we do up here in Oregon. Nice and sunny then cloudy and raining. I wish it would just stay nice!

As for the shower it was nice. It made me not miss my family so bad. It was my neighbor and all her friends, so I really don't know most of them other than saying hi. I get so embarrassed with the spot light on me. lol My face turns bright red!!! The little girl said as I was opening gifts your face is read again! lol It was really sweet of them to throw me a shower. I washed all the blankets and clothes this morning. I put together the baby bouncer. so cute. Then tried to set the baby storage cart but ended up stabbing myself with the screw driver, because the holes are not drilled right. Dh looked at it and said we should just take it back. I hope our neighbor don't get offended.

My bff out here is planning a Mother Blessing for me in May. I am super excited about that. I really love them. My midwifes apprentice wants to draw on my belly so I am hoping I can convince her to use henna at the blessing! hehe Dh has done a belly cast with our last to babies so we will be doing that shortly after the blessing.

Today I am going to make a list of things to get done and deep cleaned before the birth. I am starting to feel the crunch!!!

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10
#8 of 35 Old 04-26-2010, 03:25 PM

burnindinner-Yes, we are close with the IL's, which is nice. We actually all live very close together, and even though we don't see each other as you might expect living so close, it's nice to have fun, supportive SIL's and a MIL. ;-) We still need some knid of organizer in our bedroom for diapers, blankets, etc., and I think we'd really like to use some gift cards to get a new highchair (obviously that's not an immediate need!). Our old highchair was a hand-me-down, and we really appreciated having it, but it had a fabric cover. Any time you wanted to clean it, the chair straps had to be removed, seat cover removed, and washed in the washing machine. Other than that, we have most of the big stuff from DS. We had three crates of hand-me-down clothes given to us, so I think we are set for clothes...how nice!

mama moose-Yes, I think the brunch/shower will be nice! I hope we can do it sometime so DS can stay with DH, and I can just relax. :-)

neldabean, it sounds like you had a nice shower! Your mother blessing sounds fun, too!

It was very wonderful having help going through everything. I would have worn out doing it myself, and DH is just not that excited about sorting/folding/cleaning little baby clothes. Ha! Now, if I can just get him to take the crates with clothes that are too big to the garage...

My parents will be back in a couple weeks for my birthday, and that will be about three weeks before the due date...we'll see how things go! My mom said once I made the switch from OB to MW/doula, I have had a whole new attitude and outlook on this birth. At least at this point, I feel pretty relaxed. I think we have a good support team in place, and I trust that they will do everything possible to help with the VBAC. I imagine I'll get more panicky as the due date approaches, but I think I've done all I can do to prepare!

How are the rest of you feeling about the approaching due dates???

Joanna, 6 years married to DH, Mom to 3-1/2 yo DS Owen and DD Taylor, born 6/14/10 by unmedicated
#9 of 35 Old 04-26-2010, 03:50 PM

AZ- I'm frekaing out about approaching due dates! Especially at the prospect of going early, I mean, on the one hand, I'm not holding my breath but if I'm encouraging things starting at 37 weeks...that's TWO WEEKS from now!!! TWO! and even if I go to my EDD or over, that's only about one short month away! I can't believe April will be over this weekend.....
I'm pretty much "ready" so to speak, I have diapers and a carseat and boobies , I even have some clothes and almost all of my birth supplies (minus chux pads that I forgot at my midwife's house last visit). But I don't feel READY.....
I also was thinking, I need to start showing my kids some birth videos. We've read "Hello Baby" (aka "Welcome With Love") which is a homebirth story book for those who don't know, and my 4yo seems to get what happens, but I really freaked out in transition last time and I don't want them to be scared. I need to find some videos where the mama is making a lot of noise and it's ok. Any good recommendations? Water birth is a plus too since that's what I'm planning

I'm making some vegan cookies for my dad right now (he went vegan after having heart surgery), his birthday is on Thursday but he's stopping by today to bring me some asparagus and about a month ago he told me all he wants for his birthday are some cookies. So, vegan oatmeal raisin flaxseed cookies are chilling in my fridge right now, waiting to be baked. At least I feel less guilty about eating the dough since there aren't raw eggs. Not that that tends to stop me any other time....

#10 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Oooh, neldabean, I am sooo looking forward to the Blessing. Last time we didn't do the henna, I was just too tired to push for it. We've done it for our other friends though. This is one reason I really hope there is not some emergency and early delivery, I would be SO sad to miss the blessing! I made my sister promise everyone would come to the hospital and do it there if something happened and we had an early emergency delivery. But how funny would it be to have a henna decorated tummy with a c-section?!

*MM* I can't imagine my dad EVER being vegan! My sister pretty much is, and my parents are just confused. They aren't militant carnivores, they just don't get it. You are so nice to make cookies for him! Did he like them?

azdaisy, I think I'm just confused that the d-day is fast approaching. Um, didn't I JUST find out I'm pregnant?! On the one hand, I will be so glad to meet and hold this LO, and this pregnancy has ... well, it's sucked. But at the same time, there is a realistic possibility this will be my last pregnancy, so I don't want to rush through it and miss it.

Today I'm feeling all crazy emotional. I didn't sleep well last night (spent all day on the couch yesterday, couldn't breathe, throat hurts, and oh yeah I'm pregnant) and DS got up at 6 am. I just feel everything SO intensely! There is a good side to this, as I really FEEL everything, but it can be a little disconcerting too!

The weather here is gorgeous - sunny and 60's. The few plants I do have in my garden have shot up and some are even budding!

#11 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 12:39 PM

Ok, so apparently, one should NOT get their 4 year old excited about going to a midwife visit because my MW is catching a baby this morning and my 4 yr old is in tears over it And of course, it's going to rain today, again, so I have no alternate plans to throw out there to cheer her up.....maybe my dad will come over today, I think he forgot yesterday. That sounds bad, but really, he gets busy and forgets things like that. I'm sure the asparagus is still in his motorcycle bag actually And "Grandpa Bill" is almost as good as "Mason's house with all the toys"

There's going to be a homebirth on "Baby Story" today, I never watch that show but I heard about this via facebook so I think I'm going to watch it.

#12 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Oh shoot I missed it here. Did you catch it?

Talked to my mw a little this morning. She is a student, and her proctor told her for hb they'd need the placenta to be 10 cm from the os. Since it was at 1 cm away at 32 weeks, I think we will not get to 10 cm away in time. I think I will start expecting a hospital birth, barring a miracle and massive surprise!

I am not sure how I feel about it. A lot of mixed up emotions.

#13 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnindinner View Post

Talked to my mw a little this morning. She is a student, and her proctor told her for hb they'd need the placenta to be 10 cm from the os. Since it was at 1 cm away at 32 weeks, I think we will not get to 10 cm away in time. I think I will start expecting a hospital birth, barring a miracle and massive surprise!

Big hugs. At least you're willing to work through it and have a bit of time to figure out where you stand about it all.

I've not been good at updating, my morning sickness is back. Which has put me into an awful mood. I was fine for my shower and bday bbq but then sunday hit with the worst vomiting ever. Sigh. And the last day i've dealt with queesiness that is sending me over the edge. I hope it passes quickly.

DD was cute last night. I was having BH and i was breathing funny and she asked if i was having contractions. DH and i just stared at her, she's 6. LOL. Then she goes, "well if you have contractions too early we will have to go to the hospital. So make them stop so the baby can be born at home so i can watch, unless something is wrong with the baby then you can go to the hospital mommy." DH's mouth just dropped open and he said we've been watching too much 'baby story'. Which is funny because we've watched maybe 4 (i record them and let the girls watch the natural childbirth ones and there arent many on there).

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#14 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnindinner View Post

WOW! With my previa, they said it only needed to be 2cm from the os, not 10! That seems to be a big difference. Maybe because I'll be in a hospital? Well, a hospital vaginal birth is WAY better than a scheduled c-section....

Me learning.gif+ DH hug.gif + kid.gifDaniel (7/5/10)
#15 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 PM

Burnindinner, I'm so sorry that you're facing the loss of your homebirth. Will your midwife be able to act as a doula in the hospital? Will you at least be able to go into labor on your own, etc? More

#16 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

SeattleRain, that is interesting! I have an appt with our CNM on Friday, and we'll talk more about how far away the hospital wants it. If I remember correctly, my hb mw said the risk of hemorrhage is high if it is closer than 10, so they would want me in the hospital in that event. So perhaps the requirement is different because of that? I will ask.

*MM* As far as I know, it would be a regular old delivery, just in the hospital versus home. I got sad earlier when I started wondering if they would let me keep the placenta, and who could I have in the room with me, etc.

I think right now I feel sad.

Aka mommy, your DD sounds quite precocious! How sweet.

#17 of 35 Old 04-28-2010, 02:02 PM

Hi ladies.

I was painting the study yesterday (shows my mothering style - keep the baby in my bed/bedroom but want a study to escape to! ) and fell from my knees onto my butt (just lost my balance and had a paint-loaded roller in my hand so couldn't catch myself in time) and wrecked my pelvis. Again. Didn't pee my pants though (dry) silver lining! lol.

Only 5 weeks to go for me yesterday, and i am SO ready for the birth! I mean, i have a lot of stuff to do/get, but i'm ready to think that whatever else we "need" we would cope without if necessary (like a bouncer - don't use them for at least a month anyway!). Not got any nice nappy cream from Weleda yet, need to get on that.

Had a weird phonecall with my MIL yesterday. She asked what i'd been up to and i said i'd finally washed and put away all the cloth nappies and first size clothes ready for the baby. She was like "did you wash the new things *I* gave you?" and i said "yes" and she went all weird on me and was like "well, i'm sure that wasn't necessary". I did explain that i was washing the factory finish off the fabric (most of the items SAY "wash before use" on them) but she just acted as if i was saying she'd given me dirty things, even though i was WITH her when she bought them!

Odd.
#18 of 35 Old 04-29-2010, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I had a really good OB visit yesterday!

I was really worried about my new GD diagnosis and how my doctor would reevaluate my birth plans, but I was so wrong. When I asked her about whether or not she'd want to induce me early because of the GD, she said she sees no reason for that unless I develop other complications. She said she doesn't see any reason for further monitoring (like BPP ultrasounds, etc.) because she thinks they're useless because they're so off on their measurements. She absolutely doesn't believe in inducing for big babies! So refreshing! She even gave me a whole shpiel about how she really doesn't like to induce because of the c-section rate. It's so nice to have a HCP on my side!

Me learning.gif+ DH hug.gif + kid.gifDaniel (7/5/10)
#19 of 35 Old 04-29-2010, 12:47 PM

That is awesome SeattleRain!! So good (and refreshing) to hear about OBs like that too!

I'm also having an "I love my midwife" moment, yesterday I had my visit (rescheduled from Tuesday because they had TWO babies born that day!), and this little nudger is apparently in a mysterious position. As in, they were sure s/he was breech all of a sudden (was head down, deep in pelvis for weeks before this), but then later decided that's a small butt near my ribs and head is down but near my hip kinda. They still weren't 100% sure so I need to go back next week (ack, more gas $....). Anyways, she was feeling around my belly and looked me in the eyes and said "would you have a breech baby at home?" And I replied "would you catch a breech baby at home?".....to which she said "For most people, no, but for you I would." And it seriously made me want to tear up! We obviously talked about the risks, the alternatives if baby doesn't turn (or isn't head down already), and that she doesn't have much experience in the area (though she is trained and has done it), and then by the end of the visit it was a moot point because we think the baby is actually head down anyways....but really, just knowing that our relationship is such that she would be willing to go "above and beyond" like that for me really means so so so much.
Anyways, so I'm feeling the care provider love today. Actually, I was getting sad last night thinking this pregnancy is almost over and then I don't get to see her so much anymore
As far as the rest of my visit/the blood pressure issue......hmmm.....she stressed to me to stop worrying about it, that she doesn't think it's going to be a problem this time, BUT we looked at my chart from DD2, and it's following the same.exact.pattern. 30 weeks it was still in the 115/70 range, 35 weeks was 120/80, and then suddenly at 36 weeks I was getting 130/85, and up and up until 41 weeks where we got the 150/100 reading. With this pregnancy it's been awesome 115/65 average. My last paper for 2 weeks (I take it every few days at home and bring in the paper, that way we know it's not the driving etc. bringing it up at the visits) averaged 120/80. That's still totally normal and no cause for concern but it doesn't give me a lot of wiggle room when it starts getting into 90 degree weather in a week or two! So we're still playing all of that by ear. We haven't for sure said we're doing stretch/sweep at 37 weeks, but we're for sure going with the plan of "encourage things along and avoid risking out, but don't mess with things until we need to". She said if we're 41 weeks and looking at BP that high again she'd rather just do AROM at home than send me to the hospital again. I think at that point I'd do it, honestly. But again, we're not there yet. And maybe we won't get there.
I just need to get baby in a really good position now! Any good tips on that? Lots of hands and knees right? What about the birth ball?

Ok, our AP group park day is today, I need to leave in an hour and both kids are sleeping, I have no lunch packed, no clothes picked out....I'm a slacker

#20 of 35 Old 04-29-2010, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Aw it's good to hear about the good mw's. I like all of mine, the CNM for the hospital and my two hb mw's. Yes, today I am still holding out hope.

Today I am.so.tired. I simply can't function. DH got up with DS at 7, then when he left for work I got DS to take a nap and went and got another hour of sleep. Now DS is at a friend's and I'm just lying here. I don't see this picking up today at all.

DS has been really cattywampus. He's 17.5 mo. I am trying to figure out if it just IS, if it's the disruption in the house, if it's sick or teeth or what. Looking forward to when he's able to talk more.

Any advice, o experienced mamas?

#21 of 35 Old 04-29-2010, 05:45 PM

*mama moose* i had such a similar conversation with my MW! This babe has been cephalic for weeks and weeks, but a few weeks ago turned transverse in the night due to my bladder being so full. I told my MW about it and she was extra careful with palpation last week, making sure we are where we think we are. She felt about a bit, couldn't tell for sure since the "head" in my pelvis wasn't wiggle-able, tried with the fetoscope and then the doppler and got good srong heart tones top, bottom and both sides, and then sat back on her heels and said "with your pelvis it's not as if it matters much!". I just smiled at her.

Burnindinner i'd be VERY surprised if your wee guy didn't sense the coming baby. He's little, but he'll be able to tell something is going on with Mama, and in his own way he's probably thinking about it a good bit. My 4yo is *impossible* right now, in SO many ways, but i'm pretty positive it's mostly impending change and dealing with current mama-on-the-sofa-again-ness...
#22 of 35 Old 04-29-2010, 06:27 PM

Wanted to agree with the kid's being in touch with the upcoming changes. My girls are mimicing my hormonal sweeps i've been in and out of. Today im a crier, though trying to hide it from the girls. Every little thing makes me weepy. We watched a movie together about Hachi and ALL of us were bawling (like gasping, couldnt breath bawling) by the end of the movie. Now my girls are very sensitive, but this was over the top for all of us. So i KNOW they are feeling my emotions. And i think with the impending birth, everyone tries to make their peace with what is coming. While it may not intellectually make sense to a 4,6 or toddler . . . i think we all 'feel' it in the wind if that makes sense.

I know its really hard for me, i'm trying to make peace with a family of 5 and not being able to offer my girls (and even the dog) as much as i could. i'm mourning the change that is about to happen, for instance i know this summer wont be as carefree and fun as last year with a newborn. But i dont discuss it with the girls, its just something inside of me. I know they are over the moon excited about a new baby, but i cant help but wonder if a part of them is sad or scared of the upcoming changes. Time to feel it out with some low key talks i think.

#23 of 35 Old 04-29-2010, 06:51 PM

I know I have been emotional and crabby lately. I think, after the shower, the next big thing is baby coming. Well, the shower was last weekend, we got clothes organized, and we are almost done setting up our room for the new LO. So, now we are waiting. This will probably be our last baby, so I think part of me is kind of sad about that, even though we are definitely fine about not having more babies. Ahhhh, pregnancy hormones... Plus, I'm more sore, and I'm having acid issues, which are kind of a bummer.

I am very tired, and I have another temporary part-time job next week, on top of my regular WAH stuff. So, I think I'm kind of dreading it, even though we need the money. With the tiredness, the crabbiness increases, and I feel badly for DS. He's almost 3-1/2, and is excited about having a baby sister, so he can "help take care of her", but I'm sure it's kind of weird and scary, too.

I made sure to take him to library storytime this morning, and I'm glad we went. I'm also, hopefully, closer to finding him a preschool for next fall. I've been having trouble finding something we like, but I know we need to get this taken care of before long, as people are filling up. At least we finally have a person to go meet with. I hope we like her, as we seem to share preschool philosophy, and she is reasonably-priced. I had always thought we'd take DS to a bigger preschool, maybe church-based, school district-based, or something like that. But, if we can find a good home-based preschool that meets our needs, I think that would be good. We'll see...

#24 of 35 Old 04-30-2010, 04:42 PM

Hey everyone! I had my appt yesterday...mw came to our house since she was going by this way and stayed for dinner! Everything looks well, and my house is clean because the visit forced me to work my butt off for a couple days. Now just to keep it up to some extent...lol My formal 'home visit' is next week.

This morning was great as I got a couple packages...my new camera for my purse since my old one 'broke' (actually I treated it very well but despite it only being 6 mo old and never dropped or otherwise, companies don't necessarily have to believe that - ARGH!). This time I opted for a shockproof/waterproof/dustproof one - not because I plan to go swimming with it, but rather that if I do happen to drop it, it'll still be covered by warranty at least!! LOL I'm hoping for durable...but now I'm impatiently waiting for the battery to charge so I can play!!

My other package was the rest of my birthing supplies...omg I unpacked the little blue newborn cap and footprinter along with everything else and I totally teared up! Time is passing too quickly, and yet, I am so eager to snuggle up this little boy and sniff his head!!!!

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#25 of 35 Old 05-01-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_the_hip View Post
Hey everyone! I had my appt yesterday...mw came to our house since she was going by this way and stayed for dinner! Everything looks well, and my house is clean because the visit forced me to work my butt off for a couple days. Now just to keep it up to some extent...lol My formal 'home visit' is next week.

This morning was great as I got a couple packages...my new camera for my purse since my old one 'broke' (actually I treated it very well but despite it only being 6 mo old and never dropped or otherwise, companies don't necessarily have to believe that - ARGH!). This time I opted for a shockproof/waterproof/dustproof one - not because I plan to go swimming with it, but rather that if I do happen to drop it, it'll still be covered by warranty at least!! LOL I'm hoping for durable...but now I'm impatiently waiting for the battery to charge so I can play!!

My other package was the rest of my birthing supplies...omg I unpacked the little blue newborn cap and footprinter along with everything else and I totally teared up! Time is passing too quickly, and yet, I am so eager to snuggle up this little boy and sniff his head!!!!
Sounds like a lovely day! And a new camera is always fun! Where do you house your birthing supplies. I'm finding it hard this time around. Normally i just put everything in a tub, but my space is severely limited in this apartment (under 900 living square feet). So im thinking about clearing out a drawer in the kitchen and putting all the herbs and stuff in there?

Thanks for sharing your enthuisasm. I'm having a really hard time getting excited because i feel so unprepared. But it's little things like the smell of a newborn that reminds me about the big picture here!!! So thank you!

DH and i had to have a talk today about that. I told him under no circumstances is he to wash this baby before i get ahold of him/her. Being as i was a surrogate last time, the thing that shocked me was the baby did NOT smell like mine and i couldnt wait to hand her off to her parents (literally couldnt get in the shower fast enough). I really want to smell my baby this time and take that in, we make our own scent when we carry our biological children and i am looking forward to that!

#26 of 35 Old 05-01-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Wait, what? Our own bio kids really do have a different smell? Even if you birth them? That is awesome! And it would completely freak me out. That makes such evolutionary sense though.

at_the_hip, oooh, new camera! I'm starting to want a really good one. A few of my friends have really quality cameras, and their pictures are SO much better than mine. Half the time I think it's because I am just a shoddy picture taker though.

OK, full on pregnant woman rant. I am not having a good day, short as it has been. DS was up at 7, and freaking fell apart every few minutes. I can't handle the whining and crying. I DON"T KNOW WHAT"S WRONG! Don't you think I'd fix it for you if I could?
And I'm coughing friggin constantly. It hurts, I have no abs, and of course I freak out it's going to jar my placenta, even though I know that is probably silly.
DH has a sinus infection and PINK EYE. When he feels like crap he's worthless, and I am not being a good wife and being supportive, I'm just being whiny and needy that he can't help and nurture ME.
I can't remember the last time I had sex, and I am missing it. We're also kind of "all or nothing" people, so there hasn't been enough cuddling and kissing, which I could do something about, but I'm so freaking tired and fat all the time.

My mw appt was fine yesterday, but my BP was 131/78. Higher than I've seen but they said they start to care when the bottom number gets to 90. And I only have 6 weeks to go in what might be my last pregnancy, but I can't make any plans for the birth because NO ONE knows what is going to happen with the placenta, and I am tired of being in limbo. I am tired of being pregnant. I am tired of being emotional. I am tired of hemorrhoids.

And how many places do I really have to complain, because honestly, everyone helps me SO MUCH, and both of us are healthy, and everyone says it's not the worst thing in the world to birth in the hospital.

Huh, maybe I'm out of kilter because I'm starting to grieve that.

#27 of 35 Old 05-01-2010, 12:06 PM

Burnindinner: "DS was up at 7, and freaking fell apart every few minutes. I can't handle the whining and crying."

Aaaahhh, yes. There are some days DS is just dramatic about everything! He will throw himself on the couch, start crying, and be upset, about what seem to me to be wild and crazy things. The other day, he "ordered" a grilled cheese for lunch. He was helping me make it, and when I put the bread in the skillet with the butter side out, he...flipped...out... He was so mad, because he told me I was supposed to put the butter side in, not out. He ran around the living room, yelling at me that I did it wrong. I understand 3yo's can be very particular, but it's harder to deal with it on those days when I'm an emotional wreck already. Getting close, now, right??? ;-) Almost 35 weeks... Holy cow!

I imagine I soon will be reminiscing about those "easy" days when I was *just* 34-1/2 weeks pregnant and chasing one kid around...ha! :-) Can't wait to meet the new LO!

#28 of 35 Old 05-01-2010, 12:24 PM

Oh mama I'm so sorry You are allowed to grieve your birth situation, and you are most definitely allowed to complain to us ANYTIME!

Today is apparently pee/poop day at my house, I woke up to my cat peeing in the laundry basket at 1am, and realized DH didn't change the litter yesterday, which apparently did not make this cat a happy camper, woke up at 7 for the day and see that said cat (or one of the 3, but I'm assuming the same one, argh!) pooped on the floor right NEXT to the litter box, as if to tell me, "this thing is too dirty I will not enter it". Stupid cat. So I clean that up (gross), and see my DD1 sleeping on the couch. She wakes up and I see a big wet spot where she has peed on it in her sleep!! ARGH!! Why why why do the pee accidents always happen on the couch or in my bed where it's not as easy to clean up?? So that's got cleaner and a towel on it now, and hopefully it will clean up ok. I'm just so excited to see what my DD2 will have in store for me when she gets up...

Anyways, happy May everyone! We could start seeing babies very soon with all us June 1st-ers in this DDC!

#29 of 35 Old 05-01-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

OK, those two stories made me laugh. That kind of helps. As does completely falling apart and crying to my DH. It didn't solve anything, but we all know that's not what I need. I need some emotional catharsis. And I'm going shopping with my sis at the Handmaid Market (all local arts and crafters) later, so I should probably NOT be worked up or it will be an expensive trip.

I thought I started spotting a tiny bit. Now I think it was the hemorrhoids! Oddly, now I am happy to have bleeding hemorrhoids. The joys of pregnancy.

Honestly, I am so excited to meet him and hold him and snuggle him.

#30 of 35 Old 05-01-2010, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Oh ladies ladies ladies. We really are getting closer to the end, aren't we. I can't wait to get my bladder and ankles back to myself and shed this huge belly. I'm 34 wks now...probably 5 more to go if we schedule the c-sec a week early. Or 4 wks if 2 wks early. My OB said something about doing a blood test to see if the lungs are fully developed. Anyone know what she's talking about and how accurate that is?

Burnindinner, I know how you feel about having things up in the air and just wanting to have things settled in your mind know what to be prepared for. The 3rd trimester just drags on. I feel for you gals with children underfoot. I don't know how you all do it. Hope your DHs really help you out a lot.

Living happily and loving it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page