Mothering Forum banner

Ok, so I have to ask!! How can you tell Hiccups from Kicks??

637 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  earthmommy2 
#1 ·
I always see people post about hiccups and such...and I have never understood, how can you tell? I have a pretty active although mellow babe and so I know he's kicking a lot, but sometimes I wonder, Could that be a hiccup??
Just curious, always wanted to ask!!

#2 ·
Hiccups are very rhythmic. Feel a bit lighter, come quick together and have a steady pace that lasts from a few minutes to 10, lol! They are really close together and stay in the same spot(at least for me)

#4 ·
The way I knew it was hiccups with DD was that I thought "Wait - is that a heartbeat? That can't be a heartbeat - it's too slow."

No hiccups so far with this critter, but DD had them a lot. It was really cute.

#5 ·
I am 8 mo. pregnant, and the way I tell is that hiccups are much fainter, rhythmically spaced, and generally located where I believe her head and chest to be.

Kicks, punches, etc., on the other hand, feel much harder to me and are more sporadic. They also happen in different locations from the hiccups. DD does a lot of both these days!

#6 ·
Yep to the others. They are rhythmic and much much softer. This baby's kicks and rolls and punches are VERY strong, move my belly actually. Where as hiccups are very gentle. And i have a thing with repetitive motion (sensory thing) where it drives me nuts, so there is NO denying the hiccups and i go crazy trying to ignore them lol. Plus it is ALWAYS after i drink something really cold.

#7 ·
My baby doesn't seem to get hiccups. At least, not that I can tell. I know that she's head down because my OB felt her, and the fact I get weird nerve twinges way down there. Also, her kicks are pretty strong under my ribs, and way down below I feel her hands playing near her head and around my lower abdomen. Such funny sensations. But hiccups would be fun, too.

#8 ·
I've had daily hiccups for a couple of weeks now and I agree with everyone else - they are very rhythmic and tend to be fainter. I find them close to my groin and they don't move whereas kicks tend to move and are easier to feel from the outside. I am a teacher and there was one day that the hiccups were really pronounced - I ended up with my entire grade 2 class standing and staring at my belly!

#9 ·
Thanks everyone, now I think I have actually felt hiccups! He has these weird flutters that happen sometimes, now it makes sense

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.