High protein in unrine but no other pre-e signs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-12-2010, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas-

just wondered if anyone else is in this situation or has heard of it. I'm a plus size mama at 36 weeks (today!) and have consistently had +1 protein in my urine but low BP averaging 115-125/65-78. Last week's checkup showed +2 protein. I have not had headaches, blurred vision, nausea, or edema anywhere (except my ankles on Mondays and Wednesdays when I had to teach for ten hours straight but it would go away overnight). I'm mostly wondering what is causing the high levels and what it's doing to baby. I drink about 6-9 glasses of water daily and have a Coke 3-4 times a week. I'm really trying to cut down on that. But another weird thing-I have to pee about 5-6 times btwn 9pm and 6am but only need to go about 3-4 times the rest of the day. Anyway. Lots of questions I know. Thanks for any offerings you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 05-12-2010, 09:15 AM

Slightly elevated protein is normal during pregnancy, especially when there are no other indicators (which it sounds like there aren't?).

treehugger.gif
#3 of 13 Old 05-12-2010, 10:41 AM

I had slightly elevated protein last time around but no other indicators of preclampsia. It showed up at 36 weeks, I was pregnant with twins so they decided to induce me at that point. If you have an OB they may induce you earlier than your due date.

Heidi, Married to my sweetheart of 13 yrs Kristopher, Mommy of 7 yr old Kairo, Expecting our sweet little girl Penelope 6/26/2010!
#4 of 13 Old 05-12-2010, 10:50 AM

are you getting a clean catch from your urine? I think it's yeast that can throw off the test? I forget now but when I saw an OB with DD1 they told me it was important to get a clean catch because other "contaminants" can throw the protein test.....

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#5 of 13 Old 05-12-2010, 11:34 AM

Hmmm...I haven't heard too much about excess protein in urine with no other symptoms of pre-e. What did your care provider say?

It's weird that you posted this because I'm having the same problem with glucose showing up in my urine. I spill throughout my pregnancies if I eat anything higher in sugar(than I should ) but every glucose tolerance test I take comes back normal.....??? I didn't take the GTT this time because it stressed me out last time-big time!-and now of course I'm wondering if I should monitor my glucose at home just to be sure that nothings wrong.
Sigh~

I hope you get some answers. Take Care,
Julie

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#6 of 13 Old 05-12-2010, 12:23 PM

I remember reading that discharge will read as protein.
I hope it's something like that
#7 of 13 Old 05-12-2010, 12:25 PM

If you aren't eating before your appt you can end up with protein in your urine.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
#8 of 13 Old 05-12-2010, 12:59 PM

My last urine was really high for protien but I am losing my mucus plug and have a lot of discharge (more than normal) my OB said it was most likely that b/c my BP is always normal and I have no other signs.

~Marla~
CoSleeping, BabyWearing, Breastfeeding, PT Cding

🐢🐢A new little turtle is about to join our crazy part of the ocean!!!🐢🐢
lactivist.gif
#9 of 13 Old 05-12-2010, 01:27 PM

oh yeah, that's right, the extra discharge, doesn't even have to be yeast. And I also second the not eating thing, that can cause you to spill proteins as well.

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#10 of 13 Old 05-12-2010, 02:43 PM

At my last appt they said I had elevated protein levels too. I was also told that my bp was high, which it never is. I attributed that to the fact that I was rushed in, rushed to the bathroom, rushed to be weighed, then immediately had my bp checked, no time to rest for a sec. The nurse kept telling me to "calm down" and "drink more water". Ugh, I'd been running around most of the day. She tried to sound really concerned, but it just came out condescending. I wasn't worried about the protein or the bp. I guess we'll just have to see how it goes next time.

Elizabeth, Proud Pagan wife, and mama to DD - 10/30/01, DS1 - 01/08/04, DS2 - 03/22/07, my twin DDs -08/08 and our new little DS3 - 06/11/10
#11 of 13 Old 05-12-2010, 10:44 PM

I have had trace amounts of protein most of my pregnancy. A couple visits ago there was a lot more protein and high bp...it was random and was fine the next week, but when I was there they had me pee in a cup again and sent it off for a culture. I wasn't sure why they would do that, so I looked it up when I got home and spilling protein can also indicate a kidney infection, so maybe that is it????
#12 of 13 Old 05-12-2010, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies! It definitely could be that I'm not eating before I go in for the check up. Plus I've scheduled it so that it's right between my morning workout and lunch, and I've heard that working out can also throw protein into the urine. ALSO I've had TONS of discharge for the past 2-3 months, so that could be a factor. Thanks for all those suggestions.

I went in for my checkup today and my BP was 110/60. Can't beat that! I didn't work out today and I ate a good breakfast. The protein was just +1.

Started on EPO today, and here's hoping I have a baby soon! Thanks again mamas!
#13 of 13 Old 05-12-2010, 11:53 PM

A trace to +1 is usually no big deal to most providers. And as others have said, discharge can make the protein show up, when it's not really IN your urine. The only way to get a for sure clean catch is via a catheter, and I'm sure even that isn't 100%, lol.

Sounds like you are doing fine. I have had ketones in my urine a time or two, but since my appt's are always in the AM, and I don't eat breakfast (can't stomach it!!) - it's normal for me anymore.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page