First OB visit--follow up to IUGR diagnosis - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-21-2010, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I saw my first OB today. Not no, but HELL NO will I let him deliver my baby!

Hour and a half late.
Brushed me off when I said I wanted to get DH on speaker phone (he was home with a very feverish 3 yr old.)
Didn't take a history.
Obviously hadn't looked at any of the paperwork.
Interrupted me.
Started diagnosing before he finished reading the radiologist report. I had to point out the areas of concern . . . in a short two page document. He didn't even scroll through the whole thing!
His initial "Oh, you're only borderline since IUGR is under 10th percentile" turned to induction talk once I pointed out the rest of the report. I had to point out things 3x before he acknowledged that he actually READ the different issues.
I asked him about the watching and monitoring approach (recent study supports it) because he was all set to do an amniocentesis to see if babe's lungs were developed and then induce me. I told him I have an ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow and he backed off a bit.
None of this induction talk was based on his perception of MY case. He obviously has a general total risk-avoidance approach and said he would rather just induce because he "Doesn't like to procrastinate."

He did tell me he didn't think that babe would need an NICU since IUGR is based on degrees of severity and he's slightly over the 10th percentile, though I was pretty much tuning him out at that point.

At one point I asked about the practice call schedule and somehow that turned into him assuring me that there would be enough people there to handle my C-section.

My doula was with me (he didn't know what that was, which is totally reasonable for somebody NOT involved in birth on a daily basis, but for an OB???) She tried to prompt me to ask any more questions I had and I think at that point I just said, "No, I think I've heard everything I need to thanks."

So, cross your fingers that babe doesn't try to put in an untimely appearance tonight cause he's on-call and no way am I birthing at the local hospital tonight! I called the midwives and said if I did go into labor, I'm calling THEM and they're transferring me to a different hospital. (I happen to know the doc I saw today is on-call tonight.)

I have an US tomorrow morning and a meet with the OB that the midwives like down in a smaller hospital a bit farther away.
#2 of 14 Old 05-21-2010, 03:30 AM

I am so sorry that you had a horrible experience with the OB. I can't believe that he treated you like that. And the fact that he didn't know what a doula was. Crazy. Is there a way that you can change doctors or is it too late? I would hate to deal with someone like that. I was extremely worried when we moved and I had to change doctors, but completely lucked out with my doctor now. I hope things get better for you.

Gina: Wife to BrandonMommy to Azlea Noel 1-7-04, Valerie Raelle 9-28-05 and Merrick Lux born 5-29-10. S/m to Riley 6-27-02[/COLOR]
#3 of 14 Old 05-21-2010, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

I have a consult with a different doc tomorrow. She's at a smaller hospital that's farther from my house (an hour and 15 minutes versus half an hour) but is supposedly wonderful.

It's been ten days since the US that got everyone concerned and I STILL haven't managed to talk to a doc who can give me any answers.
#4 of 14 Old 05-21-2010, 10:29 AM

Wow. Again, I wonder why some people choose the professions they do. There is one OB I've met with a few years ago that I would never even allow in my room if I was in labor. He was a lot like the guy you saw, just dismissed everything I said and threw a stupid diagnosis at me after doing a bunch of unnecessary labwork. I heard he was on call when I went into labor last time, but thank goodness I had switched to the other OB practice and didn't have to even deal with the thought of him coming near me.

I hope you can find someone that you're comfortable with.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#5 of 14 Old 05-21-2010, 11:26 AM

OH MY GOSH! I hope you find someone who pays attention to you and helps.

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#6 of 14 Old 05-21-2010, 01:03 PM

What a jerk!! Sounds like one of those OB's who is non-chalant about delivering a near-term baby figuring if the babyisn't quite ready..."well, the NICU can handle it. It won't be a big deal." :P

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
#7 of 14 Old 05-21-2010, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Ugh, what a horrible visit! I hope your consult with the other doc today goes better!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#8 of 14 Old 05-21-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all. Had a follow up US this morning and everything looks completely normal. Good news, but confusing for sure!

We'll see what the doc says tonight--crossing my fingers that she will send me back to the midwives!
#9 of 14 Old 05-21-2010, 01:31 PM

That is great news!! That other guy was a big jerk! Hope you are back with your Midwives!!

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10
#10 of 14 Old 05-22-2010, 12:59 AM

I'm so sorry you got stuck with such a jerk! Definitely praying you do get to go back to your midwives or that you go into labor on a night when some wonderful, laid-back OB is on call!

Gayle, mom to Reagan and Ryan, 09/15/03, Cade, 12/08/05 and sweet Josiah, 05/23/10-07/16/10
#11 of 14 Old 05-22-2010, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Saw the other OB tonight and she gave me the all clear to go back to the birth center!

Of course, I got there and they told me she had been called to a delivery. Sigh. HOWEVER, they knew who we were and why we were there and asked us to wait. She showed up about half an hour later (so STILL an hour ahead of the other doc) looked over my stuff, asked questions and then told me she thought I should be fine for the birth center.

Then she sent me over to to the hospital birth center for a NST (babe kicked the whole way over there and through the first five minutes of the test and then fell asleep. Goofy boy. They made me wait another half an hour to get him going again before giving me the ok, but at least they were thorough!)
#12 of 14 Old 05-22-2010, 11:23 PM

Great news!

Gayle, mom to Reagan and Ryan, 09/15/03, Cade, 12/08/05 and sweet Josiah, 05/23/10-07/16/10
#13 of 14 Old 05-23-2010, 07:27 AM

Wow that is awesome!

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#14 of 14 Old 05-23-2010, 11:32 AM

Yay!! I'm glad you get to go back to the birth center!

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page