Not inducing, Natural or otherwise? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2010, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else just letting nature take its course by not doing anything to stimulate labor? Unless There is a medical need to induce I am just waiting it out, and then I am going to try natural FIRST..LO is going to come out eventualy I cant be pregnant forever right?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."- Kurt Cobain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 12:10 PM

I'd love to say I will do the same, but my due date is 3 weeks off...I can't predict how I will feel then...it's such an emotional time. I so dearly want a natural labor but who knows? Good for you though!

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
Old 05-27-2010, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
That's what I figure. If I get to birth naturally, I don't plan to try anything to induce. As much as I'd love to quit being pregnant NOW, I figure babies usually come when they're ready.

Living happily and embracing adventures.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:47 PM

I am waiting around. Each day I am more uncomfortable, but our due date is still about 1-1/2 wks away. Interference with the birth process caused problems with our first birth, which ended in a c-section. So, I am waiting. Our MW said if I go two wks past the due date, we will try some natural methods of induction. Drug induction is absolutely a last resort, after we've tried everything else. So, I am waiting. ;-)

Joanna, 6 years married to DH, Mom to 3-1/2 yo DS Owen and DD Taylor, born 6/14/10 by unmedicated
Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

sunflower.mama I'm in the same boat, Due on the 15th..and quite honestly I am ready for this to be OVER..But I've resolved myself to finding zen in the fact that I have been pregnant for an eternity already whats a few more weeks? Really I was a "late" baby..4 weeks late, 2 of 3 were "late"( my first was induced for medical reasons)..My body just likes to bake em a bit longer I s'pose..so might as well get confy, chill out with my ice water and read all the birth stories while I wait

Old 05-27-2010, 01:10 PM

Not planning on it. But I can't promise if I got to 42 weeks and it looked like baby wasn't doing well ... I don't know. Or if I developed pre-e or something. Unexpected, but this whole pregnancy has been not what I was planning for!

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
Old 05-27-2010, 01:24 PM

I am with you on waiting until the baby is ready.With my first, I allowed my OB to do a membrane sweep because she was threatening a chemical-induction the next day. It was SO painful and resulted in labor before the baby had turned in the proper position. Back labor really, really sucks! My second birth was so much more peaceful and positive because no one felt rushed. I was honestly very surprised when one of the partners in my midwife's practice (not my first choice of midwife, to say the least), was suggesting some herbal product and EPO to soften the cervix. I just don't see the difference between using pharmaceuticals or "natural" herbal tinctures. The intended result is to rush the baby before its ready. Like Burnindinner says, though, when you are at 42 weeks and there are complications, then you intervene. But, my midwife was saying to start these tinctures at 36 weeks! Come on, now, there's lots of time left for the baby to bake. . .

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

crbyard I don't really get the whole 36 week thing either. At 37 weeks the baby is SUPPOSED to be ready to survive out of the womb..but its still not Full Term,DD was induced at 39 weeks and a whole world of complications came along with it...The longer you wait..at least til full term the more the baby has a chance to fatten up and be ready for the world.

It just seems like as time progresses, parents and the medical community are pushing for things to happen faster..and more "scheduling" out of convience. I am with you ladies about neccesary medical interventions..if something goes wrong, and baby needs to come out then by all means I wont put either of us at risk..BUT I am not gonna push it if there is no reason to.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've never considered doing anything to help labor along. DS, my first, was induced via AROM because we were evacuating for a hurricane but my other babes just came whenever they were ready.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 05-27-2010, 03:03 PM

I keep having this very strong feeling that we will not make it anywhere near our edd. Right now I'm just trying to get to 37 weeks (which is June 9). Once we get near that point, I'm going to start allowing myself to do the things that I've been avoiding because of contractions. I still have a lot of anxiety about repeating my first labor, though, so if we do go past 38 weeks, I might start some natural things so I don't end up with a repeat c.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
Old 05-27-2010, 03:05 PM

Whenever I find myself wishing baby would show up early, I remember that the longer she bakes, the bigger her stomach will grow, and the longer she will be capable of going between feedings (read: sleep for me). That helps me! I also wanted to clarify I'd never consider inducing before 41 weeks as both my older kids were 3 days late...but after that...who knows???

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
Old 05-27-2010, 03:53 PM

I am letting nature take it's course. Baby will come when baby is ready. If there was a medical reason to induce then yeah of course I would do what's best for both of us. With ds2 I went 3 1/2 weeks over my EDD I can hold out again. That is why it is called an estimated due date. Not everyone ovulates on day 14. I wish people would chill and not get all induce happy when there is no need too.

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10
Old 05-27-2010, 04:04 PM

I have a longer cycle and figure it's why i dont go 'early'. At times i fight it and then i draw up a hot bath, light some candles and pull out spiritual midwifery or baby catcher read through some awesome births and have a good cry at how physically miserable i am. Then i get out and say to myself 'My body and baby will work together and come when the moment is right for a peaceful, gentle and ecstatic birth'. I know if i rush it, it's on my terms and my body and baby will not be able to work together as it is meant to do.

I don't feel like i have zen, but im trying to create it. I refuse to take anything or do anything. Though yesterday i got a pedicure and had sex with dh. My friends said for sure the baby would come soon since those would push me into labor. I laughed. I didnt do it to induce labor. I did it because who knows the next time i'll get an hour to myself to relax or when dh and i will be able to be intimate without the interuptions of children or the fears of conceiving. I am trying to look at this time in my life as the last ofs. . . This is the last time we can enjoy intimacy without the fear of pregnancy (as we aren't sure when dh will get in for his vasectomy), the last time as a family of 4, the last time at such a slow pace. It's the only thing that is keeping me sane, being able to savor these moments.

So yeah, i'm not doing anything. And if i go to 42 weeks, i'll think about it then. Even then i don't think i will do anything to induce. I've had pit with my first, i've had membranes swept with my 2nd and there are just a whole host of complications imo that don't seem to balance out the risks of going over.

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
Old 05-27-2010, 07:39 PM

I would love to wait to go into labor naturally. I am so sad that I will be more than likely induced because of pre-e. I am doing almost all I can to get ready and maybe even go into labor on my own beforehand.

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

Old 05-27-2010, 07:55 PM

I've always gone late (between 6 days and 12 days after my DD) and waited for baby to choose the birthday! From my family history, those who didn't wait didn't respond well to induction methods and ended up with csec. So short of a serious medical reason, no I am not inducing.

I DO do EPO to soften my cervix/tissues...and I take a Mother's Cordial herbal tincture from 36 weeks to prevent PPH due to my personal history. Neither of those things do anything to induce labor, at least for me!

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 PM
jdg

It was my plan to wait for my labor, whenever it may have come. HB MW said there was no need for us to even discuss natural induction methods until I was at/nearing 42 weeks, because the pregnancy had gone so well, and my family history is to go late.

I made it 38w 2d, and had no urges to hurry things along. But then pre-e changed all the plans, and I consented to a hospital induction as both the OB and MW made it clear that the baby needed OUT fairly quickly. Though I'm happy she's out and healthy, I do wish I could have given her those last few weeks to finish cooking!

Jackie
Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 PM

This is baby #3 for me. With the first two, if I had heard of it, I tried it to induce labor. Nothing worked. And I do mean NOTHING.

Finally, they came at 7 and 12 days over.

This time, I'm trying to be more go with the flow. But, that's easy to say right now at 37 weeks. The crazies haven't really hit me yet. I do know that I won't do castor oil again. I've finally learned after 4 unsuccessful tries (yes, I learn slowly---LOL).
Old 05-27-2010, 11:13 PM

I too do not get the "natural" induction methods versus chemical in normal low-risk pregnancies. Technically they are all still chemicals meant to start something before its biologically triggered. Having worked for the "natural" supplement industry, I can tell you from experience that being "natural" does not make it any safer (sometimes it far worse since there is little regulation for dose, impurities, and most lack controlled studies to evaluate risks)

Anyway, Im with you all in the "not doing anything in particular to stimulate labor". My first was 12 days over my EDD. My EDD this go round in June 16th, so I have a while to wait for nature to take its course.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:23 PM

Tiffnoodle- we're in the same boat. I'm 36 weeks on Saturday and I really don't plan to make it to 38 with the contractions and everything else. After Saturday hits I will be less hesitant to walk and have sex and other things I've avoided because of the constant contractions. My first little guy came at 37 weeks on the dot after my water broke 48 hours before. From everything I've heard the things I plan to do won't really get labor going unless I'm ready anyway.

Heidi, Married to my sweetheart of 13 yrs Kristopher, Mommy of 7 yr old Kairo, Expecting our sweet little girl Penelope 6/26/2010!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:24 PM

With both of my pregnancies letting nature take it's course was pretty much the only option for me. Things seemed to go pretty much uneventful and I didn't really have a chance to even consider induction or anything else for that matter. I'm hoping with this one things will go the same way. The most I do is drink my herbal tea and walk..Of course there's the lovin' between DH and I but that's just because we want to. I know the end is a very anxious time for me but i'm thinking things are going to happen on their own again. If not..well..we'll of course try natural remedies first but NOT 'till we're well past our EDD.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:39 AM

I'm planning a birth center birth and they can only deliver up to 42 weeks. Past that, and I have to transfer to a hospital/OB and will most likely be looking at a chemical induction or at LEAST having to evade more interventions.

So . . . I won't mess with anything until 41 weeks, but at that point, I would probably try some homeopathic ways to start labor because my alternative would be hospital induction.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:04 AM

Me

I had a "failed sweep" at 41+3 days with DS1...(I call it that because the OB couldn't get into my cervix to do a sweep and instead jammed his fingers in to the point where I was screaming hysterically on the table begging for him to stop- and yes I reported him....) and the result was me going into labour the next day with a baby that had a nuchal arm. NOT FUN. I know he wasn't ready to come at that point. So I did nothing to induce with my second and he came at 40+5 days. I plan on doing nothing again. If it came down to me being close to 42w I know I would just refuse to go to the hospital (and I know my MW's well enough to know that they wouldn't abandon me).

PS....I'm secretly hoping this little stinker surprises me and comes before my EDD

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

Old 05-28-2010, 02:06 AM

due date crashing

I didn't do anything to try to induce... my daughter was born at 40+5 and my midwives didn't even bring up natural options yet. I wasn't concerned.. I knew she'd be past EDD
Old 05-28-2010, 06:38 AM

when you guys say natural induction...what do you mean...like cobash? I am 4 days from my due date and went in for a wee bit of reflexology today to encourage him and had sex...what are your thoughts on these?
Old 05-28-2010, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

prone_to_wander I've never heard of reflexology to stimulate labor, but we learn something new everyday

Personaly I see way to many people getting induction happy at 37+ weeks, my idea of natural inductions is anything that is tried to evict the baby..I have heard that most things wont work unless its ready anyway, but I still have no desire to put myself through needless experiments. I wont even take castor oil when I AM constipated..YUCK! I did do nipple stim the night before a scheduled induction with the last one, my last ditch effort..which I will not hesitate to do again since it did send me in labor without pit..but I am not trying it unless I am all out of options other than pit..

We arent even doing the sex thing around here, My DH will not have any part in anything that may cause dramatic consequences even for fun..he's been like this since baby #1, once the 3rd trimester hits he wont even think about it til im post-partum..The only thing I do, which I ALWAYS do is walk a lot..but we are car-free so walking is essential if I plan on ever leaving the house lol..I do eat pineapple, but its my favorite fruit so I have been eating it all along.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:55 AM

This time, I have had 2 previous c-sections, and I don't feel really confident about my body going into labor. My repeat c-section is planned for 3 days after my due date, so I'm not going to have a lot of time to worry about it.

But, with #2, once I got to about 9 days overdue, my brain just wouldn't shut off about all the what-ifs. It got really bad, and I was constantly thinking about the fact that I was overdue. Waking at night, couldn't sleep for thinking about it, sort of thing. I finally scheduled my c-section (cause I didn't want to induce, and I was waiting on spontaeous labor) for the evening of 12 days overdue.

Honestly? I don't know if it was a freak intuition thing about that pregnancy in particular or if I just get crazy after 8-9 days over.

Of course, I'm not thinking about induction, natural or not, at 38-39 weeks. But, something in my brain just made me a little crazy after 41 weeks.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:36 PM

I'm thinking about doing cohosh this time. I never tried it before, except with my miscarriage. Normally I would just wait it out but I don't have a whole lot of choice this time.

I have had 3 c/s and don't have a "proven pelvis" (I hate that term, it shouldn't have to PROVE anything!!). My dr apparently used to be VBAC friendly, but now he just doesn't see to care. He wants to schedule a c/s for sometime between the 8th and 11th. I keep pushing it out. I even told him that I'd rather wait until my kids were out of school (last day is the 14th), just so he wouldn't push it any earlier. I'm determined to do this without a c/s this time.
My last baby went to 41w1d before he failed a BPP and we went in for c/s.

Elizabeth, Proud Pagan wife, and mama to DD - 10/30/01, DS1 - 01/08/04, DS2 - 03/22/07, my twin DDs -08/08 and our new little DS3 - 06/11/10
Old 05-28-2010, 01:53 PM

I guess I'm trying to push it a bit because my midwife is actually gone June 1-8 (my due date is June 1) and I'd really prefer for her to be there. I do have a back up and she is nice and I have no issues with her, I would jusy prefer my midwife to be there, you know.

Also...technically I'm supposed to go to the hospital and admit myself once I'm 41 weeks and I really don't want to do that. Weird rules here where I live. So I'm hoping I don't run too late.

BUT I feel guilty trying to rush the little one along. I don't think I'll be trying anything else until I'm actually late...except perhaps sex
Old 05-28-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prone_to_wander View Post
when you guys say natural induction...what do you mean...like cobash? I am 4 days from my due date and went in for a wee bit of reflexology today to encourage him and had sex...what are your thoughts on these?
For me it means anything out of the normal day to day living that could stimulate labor. Nipple stimulation, cohosh, accupuncture, reflexology, caster oil, etc . . . are natural methods imo. Things like sex, pedicures, massages, walking, chiro adjustments . . . i don't consider induction. Because they are all normal parts of my everyday life and my body is use to them. Plus none of them have put me into labor in 4 pregnancies lol. They are more like old wives tales, then documented methods of inducing labor. Artificial methods i consider sweeps, pit, and so on.

I figure, ultimately the babe has the final decision. I could drive myself crazy trying all the natural induction methods out there and be miserable in the meantime and get no where, or i can just let nature take it's course and trust that my babe and body know when and how to get labor started. With posterior births, i dont want to rush anything and cause labor to be any more complicated than it has to be.

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
Old 05-28-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prone_to_wander View Post
For me, it ends up being a gradual thing. I have been having contractions for a few weeks. Sex, walking, and stress are the big triggers for them. I had some pink spotting a couple weeks ago. Since then I've quit taking any long walks, stopped sex, and am really trying to cut back on my stress (ha!). I talked to my OB last week at my appointment and she said at this point they won't stop labor if it starts. I asked her not to check me because I didn't want the chance of stimulating labor at that point. I will let her check next week when I go in just to see where I am and I have to get my GBS test done then too.

On June 4, when I will be 36w2d I am planning on taking the kids to the zoo (thankfully dh will be there with us so I shouldn't have to push the stroller this time). It will be a lot of walking. Around that time, I plan on giving dh the "green light."

If I don't go into labor by about 38 weeks (depending on what the ultrasound next Tuesday shows us on size, fluid, etc.) I might drink some RRL tea and/or take/insert some EPO.

I haven't talked to my OB about what happens if I get closer to my edd. With the last 2, we've scheduled a c-section at 39 weeks and thankfully I didn't get to that point. If it came down to a c-section, I would try to have something done to avoid it. Membranes swept, AROM, etc. My ultimate goal is to have another vaginal birth and avoid a repeat c.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10

User Tag List