Watermelon? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Watermelon!!!

I've been eating a bowl full of watermelon once or twice a day for 3 days, and my swelling has gone down IMMENSELY!! I'm shocked!!

For the last 2 wks I could hardly bend my left leg and both ankles, the skin was so tight, and my whole leg was double the size of the other, and my right was starting to get bigger, too. Nothing seemed to help much. I could hardly walk. Now I can see both my knees again and can bend all I want! Ankles are still puffy but not too bad. I'm estatic! I can put my socks on and shave my legs again! I really thought I'd be like this until Karina came. I'm so glad it's watermelon season!!

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone else would get the same benefit. It's such a deliciously refreshing way to treat it. I'm assuming the watermelon just hydrates me better than anything else I've been doing.

Living happily and embracing adventures.
#2 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yep, watermelon is my "go to" swelling remedy too
I've heard the same goes for cucumber, but I dislike those, so watermelon it is!! I can eat like half a watermelon in a day

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#3 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 11:35 AM

yum I love Watermelon I am going to give that a try my rings have been stuck on for a few days now and my ankles are turning into Cankles. Thanks for the tip!

S Momma to:8:5:4:1.5 and: May 29 2010 loving wife to C:
:::: ::: formally mom_2_3_girls
#4 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 01:20 PM

Watermelon is a strange one - it's full of water and agreat rehydrator, but it actually has a diuretic effect on the body, which is why it reduces swelling. I've also been camping out most days with a bowlful of watermelon. So yummy!

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#5 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 01:42 PM

Yum. Must go get some now! It would be even better if the weather here was nice!

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10
#6 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triana1326 View Post
Watermelon is a strange one - it's full of water and agreat rehydrator, but it actually has a diuretic effect on the body, which is why it reduces swelling. I've also been camping out most days with a bowlful of watermelon. So yummy!
Oh - interesting. I guess that makes sense...if it hydrates our tissues and allows pooling water to be disposed of.

At any rate, I am so happy to be able to be up and around again without my leg swelling so much I can hardly walk. My SI joint pain that flared up last week has diminished as well, which is a welcome relief. I was having to use a cane again.I've been working on organizing the nursery, doing some laundry, and may even tackle the dishes after I put my feet up for a while and have some lunch.

#7 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 02:23 PM

Yep! Me, too. I can eat a whole watermelon (the same size as my belly, really) in one day all by myself. Yummmmm.

Mommy to a gorgeous little miracle
#8 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 06:47 PM

I think i'm going to have to trade out my fresh pineapple addiction for watermelon!! Or just eat both.
Thanks for sharing!!

~The Mrs.-A.K.A Mommy loveeyes.gif ~
Happily married to 1 kewl.gif (4/4/2004) & SAHM to 3-DS(3) jog.gif ,DD1(6) notes.gif,DD2(1)babyf.gif

#9 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 06:49 PM

It's strange overall that increasing your water intake can help reduce your swelling. And some say to avoid salt intake, but that isn't helpful when you need to reduce swelling either! Crazy.

I love watermelon. Now I'm craving it, lol.
#10 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well crap, now I'm going to have to go out and get a watermelon! I'm not swelling, but now I'm craving one and it may be the end of the world if I don't get it.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#11 of 15 Old 05-30-2010, 12:15 AM

I have had the same obsession with watermelon. One other effect I've noticed is that...I have no constipation when I eat watermelon...it may be the amount of it that I am eating (tons!) But it really clears me out.
#12 of 15 Old 05-30-2010, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Day 4 of this and I HAVE ANKLES AGAIN!!!! I had to ask DH if they look okay because they're so skinny!! LOL I'd totally forgotten what my normal legs look like. Left leg is still a little puffy up and down, but it's recognizably MY leg. Gotta keep this up. I feel so much better. I can go up and down stairs again!!

#13 of 15 Old 05-30-2010, 03:51 PM

My dh just bought a watermelon for dinner tonight. I might have to fight the kids to get a bunch of it. Dh just commented the other day when I was really swollen and had been walking in the heat that my ankles are gone. I'd love to rediscover them before my OB visit on Tuesday.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#14 of 15 Old 06-01-2010, 03:54 PM

love love LOVE watermelon! But I dislike cutting it, that's my husband's job!!! We have a nice watermelon just waiting for him to come back from his work trip out of town. Don't know if I can wait till then so I may just have to do it myself!

BTW, I learned with this pregnancy not to gorge yourself on watermelon right before bed or else you'll be up to the bathroom at least 3 times in a 6-hour stretch.

Wife, childbirth educator and homeschooling mama to DS 6/05, DD 8/07, DS 6/10 and new baby July/Aug 2012.

#15 of 15 Old 06-01-2010, 04:32 PM

Last night we finished off a huge watermelon, now I want more!! hehehe

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page