Well, it looks like we have a date :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Most people would be happy to know what day they're having their little one. I'm not. I've tried so hard for this VBA3C and it's slipping further and further away. I switched care at 33 weeks to a dr that I was told was THE most VBAC friendly doc at this hospital. He pushed a friend's mom for VBA2 and 3C. Apparently he got too old to deal with it or something, because he's scheduling my repeat c/s because my body "just isn't doing anything". I've been having semi-regular contractions on and off for a week or so. During yesterdays exam, cervix is still closed. I'm 39w2d. He's trying to get it scheduled for June 11th. I tried to push it out further, thinking that if I had more time, I could do this on my own, but he's going out of town after that. Normally that wouldn't be too bad, but the dr that's on call then is the doctor that i transferred care from and we don't really see eye to eye on a lot of things.
So, unless my body gets in gear (which sex, walking, epo, rrl, etc has done nothing for), then I'll be the mother for 4 c/s babies on June 11th.

Sorry for the downer post, but I needed to get it out.

Elizabeth, Proud Pagan wife, and mama to DD - 10/30/01, DS1 - 01/08/04, DS2 - 03/22/07, my twin DDs -08/08 and our new little DS3 - 06/11/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 01:51 PM

I wish I could say something more helpfull than what I am surely going to post... Have any of the doctors you have talked to had an idea as to why your body isn't kicking in physically? Even though you have wanted an alternative to cs, I truly feel that when your baby is delivered, safe and sound, how s/he was delivered won't be as important as the fact that s/he's here! Keep your chin up! Congrats! and Good Luck!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:12 PM

Your body is doing what is needs to do. You're not even at your due date. Don't give up faith in your body--just find your place of peace and refuse all vaginal checks until you are in labor. I've seen women go from closed tight to baby in 5 hours. I've also seen women walk about for weeks with a 4cm cervix.

I have to respectfully disagree with the previous poster that how a baby comes into the world isn't important. If it is important to you that you do everything possible to have a vaginal birth, then keep up that fight. Reread your sig.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I'm so sorry your doc is making you schedule that. I'll be praying you go into labor before then. Take care of yourself!

Living happily and embracing adventures.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:37 PM

I'm so sorry. I wish I had any experience to offer advice. I can only say, I hope you find peace before the birth, whichever way it happens. I'm also planning a birth that will not be the way I wanted (hospital instead of home), so I understand a tiny bit. Perhaps you will kick into labor soon though.

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
Old 06-03-2010, 03:04 PM

I have to agree with OnlyBoys and support your commitment to a VBAC. You are not at your due date and full term is 42 weeks. Most mamas bodies would "not be doing anything" right now as well. It has to do with your baby sending out chemical signals to your body that he/she is ready. Just because your doc is going out of town, it does not mean that your body has failed you. It has failed to comply with his schedule. Grrr. This gets my hackles up because it shouldn't matter which doctor happens to be attending, this is YOUR birth and you should have it the way you want it until it is absolutely necessary to intervene. Keep fighting!!

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:13 PM

I agree with onlyboys your body IS doing what it needs to do. I don't like that your Dr. was all for vbac's until he has to leave town. mama stay strong.

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10
Old 06-03-2010, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mama. You still have time. Things can change quickly. Don't give up hope.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys View Post
Your body is doing what is needs to do. You're not even at your due date. Don't give up faith in your body--just find your place of peace and refuse all vaginal checks until you are in labor. I've seen women go from closed tight to baby in 5 hours. I've also seen women walk about for weeks with a 4cm cervix.

I have to respectfully disagree with the previous poster that how a baby comes into the world isn't important. If it is important to you that you do everything possible to have a vaginal birth, then keep up that fight. Reread your sig.

Be strong mama. Listen to your heart and do what is best for both you and your baby. You will know.
XO

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

Old 06-03-2010, 04:32 PM

I understand that feeling. We scheduled my repeat c-section for 39 weeks with ds and I cried, I truly mourned the vaginal birth I never thought I'd have. Then I sat down and had a "talk" with my baby and my body. I had been 41w2d with dd1 and didn't hold much hope of going into labor before the date. But I kind of meditated on how much it meant to me, assured my body that it knew what to do, and pretty much begged him to come out before the c/s date. My water broke a little over a week prior to the date and I was able to get my VBAC. Same story with dd2, only my water didn't break. I started having contractions a week before the c/s date. Both times I went from no dilation at my previous checkups.

Don't ever apologize for "downer posts". We're here to get and give support as well as sharing in joys.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
Old 06-03-2010, 06:06 PM

Hang in there mama, .

What a crappy place to be in. I am working on having a VBAC too and let the dates set for me by my midwife really stress me out. BUT, I have to remember several things. First, this is MY birth, and no matter what she says, I can adapt and change it if I need to (what if you have a sick kid suddenly on c/s day...). Second, my body is totally prepping for labor(as is yours!). Finally, this is really between me and my babe. No deadline that someone else gives me is going to change things.

So talk to your babe, keep up all the RRL, EPO, etc and HAVE FAITH!!! You have over a week based on the timeline you were given. Thats an eternity at this stage in pregnancy. So many things can happen.

Oh, and also, have you done any acupuncture? Its helped me out a TON. It can get things really going and also is a godsend in helping with all the anxieties that ensue here at the end.

Good luck!! I look forward to reading your amazing birth story here before we know it!

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
Old 06-03-2010, 06:42 PM

I'm so sorry, Mama. I know how you are feeling as I too just recently found out there is no way for me have a VBAC. HUGE HUGS TO YOU!

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
Old 06-03-2010, 06:48 PM

I'm sending you sweet, calm, reassuring birthing waves ))))))))))

Yes, I agree, a vaginal exam doesn't mean anything. I was on the opposite side with 4 cm dilated at 39-ish weeks and didn't go into labor till 41+3. And I know of TONS of moms who do go from closed to open from beginning of labor. I personally think vaginal exams are only beneficial when a mom feels pushy and the CP doesn't think she is fully dilated, otherwise, they only do harm. Even in labor.

And labor starting is when baby and placenta send hormones to your pituitary gland to start producing hormones to start labor, so I'd wait on their signal. I know the fear of getting a crappy OB if your Dr. is out of town is a bother, but do talk to your body. You can also shoot some primrose oil as a prostaglandin agent onto your cervix (the same stuff in sperm) and hop into a labor squat every contraction you get. This is not a 'self-induction' but more of a way to prepare for labor.

I'm so sorry, and I'll be praying you go into labor before June 11th! Keep us posted! Oh, and you could always do what others do and just show up pushing..... or have a 'sick kid on your CS date'
Old 06-03-2010, 07:00 PM

Hmmmm. Maybe you need to embrace the June 11th date, planning a spa day with a facial and mani/pedi the day before and have reservations and a sitter lined up for a nice dinner on the 10th. Then if you have my luck, you'd go into labor in time to ruin all your plans.

Wishing you luck!

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
Old 06-03-2010, 08:39 PM

I'm sorry mama. All of that sounds so disheartening...is the Dr scheduling it because of his vacation?? Are VBAC mamas eligible for foley catheter (sp, sorry!) to help ripen/dilate the cervix and get things started?

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbyard View Post
I have to agree with OnlyBoys and support your commitment to a VBAC. You are not at your due date and full term is 42 weeks. Most mamas bodies would "not be doing anything" right now as well. It has to do with your baby sending out chemical signals to your body that he/she is ready. Just because your doc is going out of town, it does not mean that your body has failed you. It has failed to comply with his schedule. Grrr. This gets my hackles up because it shouldn't matter which doctor happens to be attending, this is YOUR birth and you should have it the way you want it until it is absolutely necessary to intervene. Keep fighting!!
Totally agree!! There's still some time..Chin up momma! Things can totally turn around from now until the 11th. Is there no other Dr. there that would support your VBAC if you were to go past the 11th?? Because it does sound more like your Dr. is trying to get things done around HIS time and not yours which it should be, IMHO, the exact opposite! Well, I can only suggest that you keep doing what your doing and if a VBAC is what your set on having, Than keep up the fight!

User Tag List