Baby girl home birth with true knot! *birth story added* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2010, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Baby Camille arrived at 7.56am on June 4th, after irregular contractions all night, about 40mins of regular ones and 6mins of pushing. She had a true knot in her cord, which probably explains why she drove such a cautious labour. Apgars 10, 10, 10, perfect from her little round unmoulded head to her little pink toes. Came out direct OA, didn't turn for her shoulders. One tiny nick in my perineum, but no drugs, no stitches, no problems. 8lbs8oz.

Still feeling jittery as i was later in pregnancy, might be thyroid, might not, going to give it a week or so and then have thyroid bloods done to see what's happening now.

She's feeding like a champion, my lochia is almost stopped already, my uterus is days ahead in terms of how low it is. All well basically More in a few days.

Birth story added in bold...

I gave DH a little girl for his birthday at 7.56am (BST) on Friday morning. I am still laughing that i managed to have a baby on his birthday!

I woke on THursday morning and sobbed my heart out to DH, and he decided he should stay home from work. We pottered most of the day, with me eventually having stronger and stronger BH contractions, and then in the afternoon we took DD to XP's so i could focus (i wanted her there for the birth but just couldn't focus when she was there!). Around 6ish i liked to move when i was contracting, but they were 3:60, yes, every 20mins or so, and long, 90seconds, and increasingly painful, but just not getting closer or more regular.

At around 8.30pm we went for a 45min walk, during which i had 2 contractions. When we got in they remained 20mins apart. We went to bed, they were every 15mins but painful, and when i went to pee there were great gobs of bloody show coming loose. I tried to sleep but at about 1am I got in the bath, because they hurt so much (not agony, but so far apart that they were freshly painful each time, it felt like it was hard to build endorphins properly). My intellectual brain would NOT switch off. All through the labour if i tried to talk during a contraction i could do so, and it merely made the contraction much shorter and lighter. I had to really focus and be "with" the baby to get anything happening - a good reason for this that i will get to!

By 2am after a good while in the bath and some nipple stimulation my contractions were every 5mins and painful. We called my dad (who had to drive 4 hours to get to us) and the midwife, but when i was talking to the midwife she wanted to see if i could still speak through them and i could, so we decided we'd touch in with her in an hour if they were still close together. As soon as i hung up they skipped out to 1:10. I went to bed depressed and wondering if my mental alertness was what was holding things up.

I contracted every 10mins for the next 4hours. Through the night, lying on my right side in bed, with DH along my back, squeezing my chest in a tight hug whenever i contracted while i moaned through them. THe baby continued to move unless i tried to bring things on faster, then my uterus would go hard for 2 minutes or more and the baby would be quiet. It was eerie, and i felt very strange, on the one hand i thought i was holding things up with my attitude, but whenever i tried to get with it and "bring it on" it felt wrong.

At 5am or so the sun came up and we decided to get up too. My dad arrived at 6am, hugged me and i had a huge contraction and he said "you ok?" and i said "i've been worse i guess" and grinned. It was good to see him, though i did find i had to focus even harder to contract properly then.

I decided to get back in the bath and sent DH and dad downstairs so i could focus. It was weird, if i could hear dad i couldn't concentrate so i didn't labour hard enough, but if DH stayed close or touched me too much i contracted too hard and felt wrong and uncomfortable in a weird way. At about 7ish i heard myself roar through a peak and thought i needed the midwife so we phoned her again and she said she'd come. Contractions still weren't regular, we have a contraction timer DH was using and the intervals go 6, 6, 9, 10, 2, 3, 5, 24, 16, 12, 6, 6, 8, it was soooo tiring, and i kept thinking "i'm not even in labour yet!". I checked myself and felt a dilating cervix (my MW estimates i might have been a 6 or 7 by description) and a big bulging bag of waters. Progress perhaps, but not the bony ridge of head i was wishing for!

The midwife came, and i immediately decided i needed to get out of the bath, but i would do so after the next contraction - i was informed a quarter of an hour later than i was at 1:3-4. I swear, those contractions didn't get regular until the MW walked in - she was wearing purple trousers and a purple tee with "midwives: endangered species" on it and i opened my eyes at the end of a contraction to her sitting on my loo-seat lid smiling. Wonderful!

I got out of the bath and got on my knees with my head in DH's lap at the edge of the bed. I was roaring then. I felt inside again but to my frustration i couldn't feel anything except anterior vaginal wall. I asked the MW to check but said "i can't move though!" and she said "no worries, i'll do a James Herriot style exam!" (he's a fictional vet in case no-one else knows this - a brilliant image for me because all the things i saw born until i was 21 were sheep, cows and foals and i love how animals birth, they don't fight, to them the only contraction is the current one, and they just do what their body tells them). She found no cervix and said i should push the baby out if i wanted. My waters exploded over my calves with the next contraction, which felt AMAZING.

Next contraction i pushed. Not because i wanted to, or thought i should, or anything cerebral. My baby said "PUSH" to my butt and my butt PUSHED. I pushed for 6 minutes and she was out. She came out direct OA, so though i caught her head, the MW had to help me grab her body because her armpit was not where i was hunting for it! I pulled her between my thighs and her KNOTTED cord came unravelling after her.

She had a true knot about 10cm from her body, a mildly (2-3cm from the placenta) velamentous insertion and a heart-shaped placenta.

She screamed. And screamed and screamed and screamed (apgars 10, 10, 10). She screamed ceaselessly until the placenta came 20mins after her (could have come sooner, i took a few goes to get pushing by blowing against my closed fist right, and we cut the cord. The minute we cut that knot off she went serene and looked up at me with that look that says "milk?" and then she nursed and we just sat and loved her.

We had arranged, last minute, for a student midwife to be present. She's coming again on Friday and i'm interested to see what she made of it all.

I am in awe of how smart this baby is. I shudder to think what would have happened if we'd been in hospital, where augmentation would have been offered and, given my despair at 2am, taken. I look at my un-cut (if saggy) belly and my perfectly healthy babe and want to pay whoever i owe for getting her here. Of course the MW and DH and dad think i am magnificent to follow my body so well, but i really feel like it's hard for me to accept the responsibility for getting her here alive, because i couldn't have borne the responsibility if i hadn't managed it. So i think it was all her. It just happened to me, all i did was stay right out of her way as much as possible.

I had a minor tear, no stitches, no drugs, a physiological 3rd stage (my ambition) and a perfect, healthy baby girl, 8lbs8oz. She is 14days old and weighed 9lbs on day 11! I have a bit too much thyroxine i think (bit jittery) but masses of milk, she feeds and sleeps wonderfully and has no jaundice and dropped her cord stump on day 4. We called her Camille.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 12:05 PM

Wow! That's awesome! Way to go! Congratulations!

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
Old 06-07-2010, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Wow!! Congrats on your perfect little girl!!

Living happily and embracing adventures.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:20 PM

Gratz!!

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."- Kurt Cobain
Old 06-07-2010, 12:23 PM

Congrats mama!! post a picture!
I have to say, I sighed a little with envy that I saw my due date buddy had a baby though! Tell Camille to tell my baby it's time to come out now!

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
Old 06-07-2010, 01:22 PM

Congratulations!
Sounds like an awesome birth!
Old 06-07-2010, 01:27 PM

DDC crashing from July to say congrats and....love the name!

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
Old 06-07-2010, 01:48 PM

Congrats mama!!!!

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10
Old 06-07-2010, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Congratulations!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 06-07-2010, 03:27 PM

congratulations!!

wife to T and mama to H & E
Old 06-07-2010, 03:38 PM

Great news!! Congratulations!!

Joanna, 6 years married to DH, Mom to 3-1/2 yo DS Owen and DD Taylor, born 6/14/10 by unmedicated
Old 06-07-2010, 04:41 PM

CONGRATS on your new little bundle!!!!

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

Old 06-07-2010, 04:44 PM

Congratulations!

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:51 PM

congratulations!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:51 PM

Congratulations! Can't wait to see a picture!

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:01 PM

Wow that is amazing! So did your midwife make it on time? Rest up!

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
Old 06-07-2010, 07:08 PM

ddcc congratulations

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

Old 06-18-2010, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

updated with birth story.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:26 AM

Oh! I LOVE this birth story! I will remember it when I soon birth my little girl. Thank you for sharing it in all it's primality.

Congratulations, mama! Welcome, Camille!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:53 PM

What a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
Old 06-18-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post
The minute we cut that knot off she went serene and looked up at me with that look that says "milk?" and then she nursed and we just sat and loved her.[/B]
DDCC to say CONGRATS, and Oh how i loved this part of the story. So beautiful, so beautiful.

NYC mom to D., born 7/16/10
Old 06-18-2010, 01:46 PM

Beautiful birth story!

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10

User Tag List