Treating the tear - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-13-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello -
With my son I had a lot of problems with the tear healing. Does anyone have any tips on how to help the healing process. I have some maxi pads soaked w/ witch hazel in the freezer. Any other ideas?
Thank you!
Jodi
#2 of 7 Old 06-13-2010, 05:35 PM

I use a postpartum herbal sitz bath just for general perineal healing, but the herbs in it should help with healing of tears as well. You should be able to find some at the health food store.

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

#3 of 7 Old 06-13-2010, 08:38 PM

Don't use a donut! When you do you're essentially dropping down your parts! Lay on your side with your legs closed as much as possible.

Opinionated Mama to dd 2/23/03, ds 3/20/05 hbac, dd 1/23/08 2hbac, and baby #4 due in June 2010!
#4 of 7 Old 06-13-2010, 09:11 PM

I had a large tear with dd and I did the sitz-bath and laid on the bed to fan dry for about 10 minutes three times a day. For me, it worked like a charm, I had no discomfort at all.
#5 of 7 Old 06-14-2010, 02:36 AM

Postpartum-
1. Herbal bath 2x a day for about 3 days- with comfrey leaf, witch hazel, sea salt, lavender, rosemary(fresh).
2. Keep your legs closed and lay down as much as you can.
3. Frozen maxi pads w/witch hazel(check!)
4. Homeopathic Arnica taken every time you pee- 3 pellets. 30ch or 200ch(depending on how bad the tear is-the higher the number the stronger it is).

For the birth- you can try using oil and hot compresses to help have minimal tearing. A midwife I know uses comfrey oil at time of birth and says it's awesome with the "ring of fire" and lessens the chance of tearing. Also pushing with the urge and not "purple pushing" when someone tells you to is most likely going to help with minimal tearing. I found that out with my second birth- 1 pound larger baby- face/brow presentation and he descended and came out in 2 "grunt" pushes.....not a single tear, just a skid mark from his chin
HTH,
Julie

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#6 of 7 Old 06-20-2010, 08:50 AM

What really helped with my tear was St John's Wort Oil (or Hypericum perforatum infused in Extra Virgin Olive Oil).

Not sure if you can find it over there but it is pretty popular here in Greece for wound healing.
#7 of 7 Old 06-21-2010, 04:59 PM

With DS1 I had a 3rd degree tear. I did twice daily sitz bath in Epsom salt and herbs along with using witch-hazel hemorrhoids cloths. Even though the tear was really bad, I didn't actually have too much pain - I think it was thanks to these methods.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page