Stop asking me if i've had the baby! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-16-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I know people are trying to be nice but - seriously -I'm standing here talking to you with a gigantic watermellon sticking out of my belly. You really need to ask? No, I have not had the baby yet.

If I barely know you, stop emailing me and asking me if I've had the baby. If you're a close friend, don't post on my FB wall asking me if I've had the baby. I'll tell you.

The other day my MIL called the house - we were watching a movie and let it go to voice mail. A second later DH's cell rang - MIL frantically asks "WHERE were you??? I figured you were headed to the hospital."

IF YOU THOUGHT I WAS HEADED TO THE HOSPITAL, THEN WHY ARE YOU CALLING AND BOTHERING ME?????? I told her "We'll be calling everyone after the baby arrives." Last thing I need is her calling DH's cell every 5 minutes while I'm in labor.

I am so zen about waiting for this critter - so completely at peace with the fact that he will come when he's ready ... and yet it seems like so many people are trying to get me freaked out about it. I'm six days from my "due" date, Leave me alone!!!

Ok, rant over ...

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#2 of 15 Old 06-16-2010, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Try this....

http://www.haveyouhadthatbabyyet.com/

I completely agree with you!
#3 of 15 Old 06-16-2010, 02:12 PM

In the past couple days I have had to older men walk by and stop right in front of me eyes bulging. The first guy said "I can see someone is very pregnant in this picture" the other man said " looks like you are going to pop soon". Yah think!

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10
#4 of 15 Old 06-16-2010, 02:29 PM

YES I hear it constantly...and anything anyone posts on facebook is interpreted as a possible labor sign...!!

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#5 of 15 Old 06-16-2010, 02:33 PM

I went 3 weeks over with DS. Obviously the questioning got BAD and even a little contentious with otherwise cool family members.
At one point, I said to one of them, "You know what, we just found out I'm not pregnant, that its actually one of those tumors that has developed hands and feet, so no, I haven't had 'that baby' yet and I'd really appreciate not talking about it."

Shut them up for sure.

My MIL actually asked me the other day, "So, any ideas as to when she might arrive?" and I had to take a breath before saying, "No. You know I keep asking her and she's not talking. Want me to put the phone up to my belly? Maybe she'll tell you."

My mom asked for an "update" yesterday. Update: baby is still in there. She said she didn't want her not calling every day to lead me to believe she didn't care. I said that NOT calling everyday would send the opposite message to me, that she cared and actually was one of the few that understood.

Sorry, mama . Its SO frustrating.

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#6 of 15 Old 06-16-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharr610 View Post

My MIL actually asked me the other day, "So, any ideas as to when she might arrive?" and I had to take a breath before saying, "No. You know I keep asking her and she's not talking. Want me to put the phone up to my belly? Maybe she'll tell you."

Oh I'm using that one ...

.... I'm trying to use this as a chance to practice my patience and calm for the predicted freakout that will almost certainly come when I remind them that no, I won't start eating meat, that the baby (like his sister) will nurse and that _ GASP _ we're not circ-ing him.

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#7 of 15 Old 06-16-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozeyermamma View Post
If I barely know you, stop emailing me and asking me if I've had the baby. If you're a close friend, don't post on my FB wall asking me if I've had the baby. I'll tell you.
I am so there. 41 weeks today with our first babe. Between this being our first, and a home birth, and past our due date with absolutely no plans for induction in the future, people are getting nudgy. Staying strong with thoughts of our strong, healthy, hungry baby boy. He will get here when he's good and ready, thankyouverymuch.
#8 of 15 Old 06-16-2010, 07:29 PM

I'm sorry you have to deal with this....

I'm in the opposite boat. No one ever calls. DH has 3 brothers...and not a single phone call from BIL's or their wives. Not even a "Hi! how are you feeling?". None of them have kids so maybe that's why??? Either that or they think I'm crazy for wanting a homebirth and would rather not chat with me about it. Heck, even after we sent out the birth announcement after DS2 was born we didn't get a single phone call(and we all get along no problem etc)- hell we didn't even get a response to the emailed birth announc. His family are strange....

The only people that seem to care and ask about the pregnancy are my close friends, my mom and sister and that's about it. My dad's side could really care less. Sigh.

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#9 of 15 Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 PM

2whistle.gif

~The Mrs.-A.K.A Mommy loveeyes.gif ~
Happily married to 1 kewl.gif (4/4/2004) & SAHM to 3-DS(3) jog.gif ,DD1(6) notes.gif,DD2(1)babyf.gif

#10 of 15 Old 06-17-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maranapanda View Post
Try this....

http://www.haveyouhadthatbabyyet.com/

I completely agree with you!
I just shared this link on Facebook.

I've never gone past my due date before so I didn't have to deal with this. MIL called like 3-4x today.

Mama to DD 9.06 / DD 1.09 and DS 6.10 born at home
#11 of 15 Old 06-17-2010, 10:28 AM

Haha, I could have written your post! And I'm not due until the 23rd! My MIL calls all the time and says "we are still waiting on a phone call", well, yeah, I'm still waiting on a baby to come out of my vagina or she says "when does the doctor think she will come" ummm, the midwife has as much of an idea as I do not to mention I am still working 12 hour shifts as an xray tech on the weekends and when people around the hospital see me, "no baby yet?" holy crap it is annoying.
#12 of 15 Old 06-17-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Or this;

"Oh My GOD! You're right! I had the baby and I totally forgot all about it! I left him at the grocery store. Hmmm.... I hope he's OK ...."

#13 of 15 Old 06-18-2010, 10:49 AM

I could have written this post, too! We had a scare at 33 weeks and it looked like she might come way too early. So ever since then (I'm officially "due" today at 40 weeks) the queries and phone calls and Facebook messages and emails have been constant, and not just from close friends and family. My FIL even called my husband yesterday worried that we might FORGET to tell him when I had the baby. (Really? My husband would FORGET to tell his father that I was in labor?)

By the way, when we had that 33-week scare, my husband's aunt and some other relatives posted all over Facebook (including my wall) that I was in labor--totally WITHOUT our permission of course. So when my husband does call relatives and friends to tell them when the baby is actually born (we've set up a phone tree), they are going to be strictly instructed NOT to share anything about the birth or me being in labor on Facebook.

----
Sewing, knitting, breastfeeding, babywearing, cloth diapering + working mama to baby Zora (born 6/22/10)
#14 of 15 Old 06-18-2010, 05:59 PM

I put this as my facebook status just this morning. It might stay as this until baby arrives:

***** is officially overdue! Which means if you ask me if I've had the baby yet, you might be risking your life! Please, be kind to the emotional pregnant lady! I promise to update when I have this baby! Kadence was 2 weeks late and this guy may be as well. The answer to any question about how I'm feeling is: tired, cranky, and emotional. Thank you in advance!
#15 of 15 Old 06-19-2010, 01:41 AM

Haha! Oh, I could have written this post as well! My FB post reads as follows:

YES I'm still pregnant and YES that question is always annoying!!! Consider this your warning because I may be pregnant but I'm not disabled. I don't know karate, but I know pregnant lady ca-razy!!!!

Posted that yesterday, a mere 1 week past due. I like the one about the grocery store and the tumor! I'm going to use those on Father's Day because I KNOW my family will ask stupid questions like that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page