I'm wondering...(opinions please) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-26-2010, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started taking Zoloft (50mg) last week for my PPD and haven't really felt any different (well, I'm not crying all the time). But I have noticed that my anxiety has flared up pretty bad. Like tonight, I went down to put some breast milk in the fridge and check on my laundry, and while I was in the laundry room a couple came in and scared me half to death. And it wasn't them that scared me really, it was the thought of someone coming in to hurt me. And then when I got back on the elevator to go up to my room, I got anxious about the elevator falling. I have anxiety normally, but haven't really notice it flaring up until just now. I'm wondering if my prescription needs to be upped to 100mg. I'm not necessarily depressed anymore, and yes I know it's from the meds, but this anxiety has gotten me worried. What do y'all think I should do?

Gina: Wife to BrandonMommy to Azlea Noel 1-7-04, Valerie Raelle 9-28-05 and Merrick Lux born 5-29-10. S/m to Riley 6-27-02[/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-26-2010, 05:40 AM

I'd definitely talk to your doctor. For me personally, acclimating to a new med always throws things off. IIRC, Zoloft took me a couple weeks to feel any kind of normal on it. I did notice, though, the whole time I was on any kind of antidepressants, my anxiety was actually worse. I was able to cope with it better because I wasn't so depressed, but anxiety is no fun.

Hope you get it figured out.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#3 of 5 Old 06-26-2010, 10:06 AM

Talk to your doc about the dose. It does take a few weeks to get set on one dose, but zoloft is an SSRI, so it should help with anxiety, right?

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#4 of 5 Old 06-26-2010, 12:17 PM

extremely common for anxiety to get worse when zoloft is initiated. a lot of docs will prescribe an anti-anxiety med such as ativan or xanax prn for a few weeks until the weaning on process is done.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
#5 of 5 Old 06-26-2010, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DDCC

Definitely let your doctor know you are having an increase in anxiety and intrusive thoughts. I definitely felt this while getting on to Prozac but then it went away/got waaaaay better after awhile. Now I find that the SSRI actually helps very much with my anxiety control.

When on an SNRI (Wellbutrin), I found that it helped energize me (good for mood control) but jacked up my anxiety so much at a certain point that we had to lower it again a bit.

It takes time to adjust and our bodies respond differently to things.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page