Beatrix's Birth Story! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beatrix Ruth Valentina
Born on June 25, 2010 (her EDD) @ 11:50 a.m.
10 lbs 8 oz, 22 inches

On Thursday, June 24th, I had an appointment with my midwife, Ellen. I was one day away from my due date and was getting super anxious. I asked her to give me a cervical check and she determined that I was 2cm dilated. She asked if I'd like her to strip my membranes and I said yes. After the strip, she said she stretched my cervix to 3cm and that I was also 70% effaced. She said I'd feel very crampy all day and that she let the midwife on call know that I could be coming in.

I went the rest of the day cramping and hurting. I had contractions, but they weren't strong or consistent. Later that evening, I lost my mucus plug, but I tried not to get too excited as that doesn't always mean labor is immediately on its way. I didn't sleep well that night because of the cramping and the contractions. They were getting stronger, but still weren't consistent.

I woke up around 7:30 a.m. on June 25th with really strong contractions. I woke Joey up and we started timing them. They were all between 3 and 5 minutes apart. We called L&D and they said I should come in to be checked. I called my grandparents and told them that it was time and to meet us at the hospital to take Elani and Genevieve. We got everything together and in the van; then we were off!

On the way there, the contractions became more frequent and were getting more intense. Of course, we got stuck in road construction and I thought we could have the baby in the car! Joey called L&D back and told them I was in a lot of pain and that we were just going to the ER. He then called my grandparents and told them to meet us there instead of the circle drive.

We got to the hospital, sent the kids with grandma and grandpa and then headed up to the 10th floor. They got my GBS antibiotics started and did a cervical check. I was 4-5cm dilated. After I had the antibiotics in my system, they unhooked the IV and let me get into the birthing tub. The warm water felt sooo good and it was making my contractions a lot more bearable.

As my contractions got stronger, my midwife, Kristy said at some point I'd have to get out of the tub so they could break my water. If my water had meconium in it, I wouldn't be able to give birth in the tub. So I got out and got onto the bed on my side. She checked me and I was 8cm dilated. She broke my water and it was clear. I decided to not get back into the tub at that point. I was in a lot of pain and really didn't feel like moving. I discussed it with my midwives and I decided it didn't matter if I gave birth in the tub or not.

I labored in the bed for a bit and the contractions continued to get worse. I asked her to check me again and she determined I was still at 8cm. She said the baby was in a weird position and was not moving down. She suggested I get on my hands and knees on the bed or I stand and lean far over the bed to try and turn the baby. I opted for standing and leaning over the bed.

Not even 3 minutes after I stood and leaned, I had a HUGE urge to push that I could not stop. I went ahead and pushed and told the midwives that the baby was definitely coming. I got back onto the bed and pushed through 3 really strong contractions. On the third full contraction, at 11:50 a.m., Beatrix was born! She was very pink and crying a little. I guess I didn't really notice how big she was and definitely wasn't expecting to hear 10lbs 8oz!

Overall, I am VERY happy with the birth experience. It was only 4 hours and 20 minutes long and the recovery has been a breeze. Breastfeeding is going well and she's just as sweet as can be.

Ash - Wife to DH (9/25/04) - SAHM to DD (8/18/05) and DD (10/9/07) - Little Zombie (EDD 6/25/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 05:45 PM

Congratulations - both on your new daughter and your amazing birth experience! Happy babymooning!

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

#3 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 05:59 PM

congratulations

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#4 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 06:01 PM

CONGRATS on the birth of your newest little girl!! Your birth sounded like it progressed quickly!

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#5 of 10 Old 06-27-2010, 12:59 AM

Congrats!!! Sounds like everything went smooth for you!

~The Mrs.-A.K.A Mommy loveeyes.gif ~
Happily married to 1 kewl.gif (4/4/2004) & SAHM to 3-DS(3) jog.gif ,DD1(6) notes.gif,DD2(1)babyf.gif

#6 of 10 Old 06-27-2010, 07:45 AM

congrats!

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

#7 of 10 Old 06-27-2010, 11:31 AM

So glad you didn't have the baby in the car! Enjoy getting to know your LO.

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#8 of 10 Old 06-27-2010, 12:00 PM

congratulations
#9 of 10 Old 06-27-2010, 02:09 PM

Congrats mama!

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10
#10 of 10 Old 06-27-2010, 02:50 PM

congrats mama! Mine was 11lb2oz so we're in the big baby club together

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page