colic - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-11-2010, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else suffering? My poor wee ds seems to have started. He is 3 weeks old. He was quite windy from the start but then settled towards the end of week 2. The past few days have been horrible though. He is feeding then screams for a few hours after that. He seems so unsettled. He is falling asleep for a while, I can put him down, then 20 mins or even an hour later he wakes up screaming, and I just can't comfort him. The only thing working for us is the good old sling. can see me wearing that for the forseeable future. I have an appointment with a cranial osteopath on Friday (unless I can get one before) and I am really hoping that it will help.
Anyone else?
Lx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 07-11-2010, 05:21 AM

Yep we have wicked colic. My 2 girls had colic and i kept telling myself that going overdue would cure the colic woes. . . only it didnt. DS starts at 8 pm and doesnt wind out til midnight and then 2 am some nights. Our best nights have been the nights of his adjustments with the chiropractor, then he passes out at midnight.

Some nights i wonder how i'm going to get through . . . and then i remind myself about dd #1 who had colic from 9 pm to 3 am til NINE months old! But i do know that with my colicky infants i have had much easier toddler years, so that is my saving grace right now.

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#3 of 16 Old 07-11-2010, 03:47 PM

two colicky nights so far.. Gripe water helped a lot.
#4 of 16 Old 07-12-2010, 08:52 PM

Yep. Such fun. Only I'm not sure if it's colic or what...just a lot of fussiness around feedings, all day long. I know I have a very overactive letdown but I don't think that's it. We went to the chiro today, he did some mild adjustments and suggested probiotics for both of us. I'm hesitant to give a newborn anything but breastmilk, I'm trying to do a little research before I give her any.
Right now she's napping so I'll report later on the results of the chiro visit.
#5 of 16 Old 07-12-2010, 09:31 PM

I wanted to give my sympathies to all of you mamas! DD#1 had horrible colic and screamed for hours on end at night. Let's just say we ran the vacuum cleaner almost constantly after 6pm. Hang in there- it really does end!

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#6 of 16 Old 07-13-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitoswamp View Post
Yep. Such fun. Only I'm not sure if it's colic or what...just a lot of fussiness around feedings, all day long. I know I have a very overactive letdown but I don't think that's it. We went to the chiro today, he did some mild adjustments and suggested probiotics for both of us. I'm hesitant to give a newborn anything but breastmilk, I'm trying to do a little research before I give her any.
Right now she's napping so I'll report later on the results of the chiro visit.
Hi Mama,

My little one doesn't have colic but does get extremely gassy after feedings. My lactation consultant recommended a probiotic called BioGaia and it really seems to be working. They have some info on their site about colic and probiotics that maybe helpful to you:

http://www.biogaia.com/consumer/fact...t-infant-colic

Best wishes & Good luck!

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

#7 of 16 Old 07-13-2010, 02:50 PM

I think we are rounding the corner here. I'm hopeful but not holding my breath. DS seems to have moved down to an hour or so of crying and fussiness. But we've also been working really hard at establishing a routine. Not that you can train a newborn, so i hope no one thinks thats what i mean. But after the family eats we put him in his jammies, swaddle him, feed him and then bounce on the yoga ball. By about 10:30 he is out cold and the screaming hour has passed. It's almost as if sticking to a regular routine has helped him feel more secure? Who knows, maybe it's just giving us sanity lol

I think its been a variety of things that's worked for us. Probiotics (we got some specifically for babies), cutting out chocolate and dairy from my diet, introducing at least 1 or 2 bottles a day so that i know he's getting hind milk (i hyperlactate and have been pumping on top of nursing), weekly chiropractic adjustments and laying him down in his little bassinet attached to our bed once he is asleep instead of keeping him in arms.

#8 of 16 Old 07-13-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolleLynne View Post
Hi Mama,

My little one doesn't have colic but does get extremely gassy after feedings. My lactation consultant recommended a probiotic called BioGaia and it really seems to be working. They have some info on their site about colic and probiotics that maybe helpful to you:

http://www.biogaia.com/consumer/fact...t-infant-colic

Best wishes & Good luck!
That looks interesting thank you! I have to say, the one adjustment seems to have made a nice difference in her behavior, but it's only been just over 24 hours so we'll see..
I started taking the probiotics myself but haven't given any to her. The chiropractor said to give her half a capsule/day of mine, split into three sessions. Would it be okay to give her the adult kind with this smaller dose? They are NutriWest Total Probiotics. I'm wondering why he didn't just sell me an infant version, since they're for her anyway.
#9 of 16 Old 07-14-2010, 12:35 AM

My son had HORRIBLE all day colic from birth until six weeks. I had read that a dairy/soy sensitivity was often responsible for colic (apparently 10% of babies are sensitive to dairy and 50% of those are sensitive to soy), so I removed all soy and dairy from my diet (as I was breastfeeding), and miraculously he was a much more settled baby the very next day. I would highly recommend removing these allergens for 2 weeks to see if it has a positive effect.

Mama to one little lion sleepytime.gifand a baby cub born at home stillheart.gif
homeschool.gif, lactivist.gif, novaxnocirc.gif,fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIF, familybed2.gif,
#10 of 16 Old 07-14-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitoswamp View Post
Yep. Such fun. Only I'm not sure if it's colic or what...just a lot of fussiness around feedings, all day long.
I would seriously cut dairy from your diet!

Mama to one little lion sleepytime.gifand a baby cub born at home stillheart.gif
homeschool.gif, lactivist.gif, novaxnocirc.gif,fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIF, familybed2.gif,
#11 of 16 Old 07-14-2010, 12:51 AM

With my oldest, we had a horrible time the first few weeks. She would cry after feedings and really seemed to be in a lot of pain. The doctors told me it was colic. I cut out all dairy from my diet for 2 days and all the crying stopped. I was 19, though, and very selfish, so I wouldn't cut out dairy for good. I ended up switching her to formula. We tried soy and she was still fussy. We put her on regular formula and she was fine. Thankfully, we haven't gone through that with any of the others, but my first step would definitely be to cut out dairy and see if that helped.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#12 of 16 Old 07-14-2010, 09:51 AM

We are also in the midst of the evening crying sessions. I just bought two "Little Tummys" products- gas drop and gripe water. Tried the gas drop last night and it seemed to make a huge difference, but there was still a little crying and Willow was hard to settle to sleep. I am going to try the gripe water tonight...also thinking I need to eliminate dairy and see if it helps.

Eryn, wife to Amy, Mum to Eli, b. 1/9/08 and Willow, b. 5/29/10
#13 of 16 Old 07-15-2010, 12:29 AM

Well folks, I don't fully understand how tapping on a few spots of a baby's body can stop them from crying all the time, but it seems to have worked. I'm a believer. We are going back for a follow-up tomorrow just because I want to take her, and I'm going to work on eliminating dairy from my diet as a few of you mentioned, because I can't quite say she's the happiest baby on the block yet....but she's getting close.

Good luck to the OP at the visit on Friday, I'm interested to know how it turns out. I don't know anything about craniosacral therapy but I've heard it mentioned on this board a few times and am curious enough to start googling it
#14 of 16 Old 07-21-2010, 01:16 PM

mom's who give probiotics, how do you get babe to take them? if i dilute in breast milk, ds spits out.
#15 of 16 Old 07-21-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbegonias View Post
mom's who give probiotics, how do you get babe to take them? if i dilute in breast milk, ds spits out.
With the BioGaia I put 5 drops in a bottle of EBM. My little one doesn't seem to notice it and drinks it right down.

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

#16 of 16 Old 07-22-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbegonias View Post
I wet my finger, dip it in the probiotics (we have a powder) and then let ds suck my finger.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page