Newborn questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-13-2010, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so i feel like a first timer all over again! There are some things i either don't remember or didn't have with my last 2 that have me wondering!

So DS doesn't poop at night. Is that ok? I mean don't get wrong, i'm totally ok with this as it makes the night wakings much easier , but it's throwing me for a loop as i swear both my girls were poocanos and pooped at every feeding, even in the night hours.

How often are y'all bathing your newborns? Ds doesn't poop a ton, no blow outs as of yet, and rarely spits up. I don't see much reason to bathe him more than every 3 days at this rate, and that is mostly just for bonding time and i love how his baby bee soap smells lol. My girls had awful reflux and blow outs, so they got bathed a LOT more!

Baby acne. Whats the skinny on this? The girls' never got it. But poor Ry has it bad. How long does it last? I notice it's worse after showers. It's only on his face so i know it's not a reaction to soap or detergents. I want to get family portraits done, and so i wasn't sure if this was a perpetual thing til they get older or passes in the first few weeks post partum due to hormones. He's 5 weeks old.

Anyone taken their newbies swimming yet? What's the recommended age? I hate to take him in a chlorinated pool, but our water in this city is highly chlorinated so i am more concerned with the pool being too cold. Anyone use any wraps to take their LO in the pool? Any recommendations?

And for those who have btdt, when you have a wide age gap (it's almost 5 years between my youngest and middle) and you have 3 kids, how long before a routine settles in? Does one ever settle in? School starts in a month and i'm having 2nd thoughts about putting the girls in public school (we have been homeschooling till this year, so routine is not a big thing) and wondering how i'm going to be able to handle it all. It never fails, we want to get out the door and Ry ends up needing feeding at the last minute and pooping and puking and 45 mins later, we are FINALLY out the door. I can't be late to school every day! Tips? Suggestions? Survival tips?

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#2 of 9 Old 07-13-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
So DS doesn't poop at night. Is that ok? I mean don't get wrong, i'm totally ok with this as it makes the night wakings much easier , but it's throwing me for a loop as i swear both my girls were poocanos and pooped at every feeding, even in the night hours.
Max stopped pooping at night a few weeks ago. He usually has a(or many) large poops first thing in the morning.

Quote:
How often are y'all bathing your newborns? Ds doesn't poop a ton, no blow outs as of yet, and rarely spits up. I don't see much reason to bathe him more than every 3 days at this rate, and that is mostly just for bonding time and i love how his baby bee soap smells lol. My girls had awful reflux and blow outs, so they got bathed a LOT more!
Max has had three baths. He is 1 month old. I wipe his face about every day/every other day. He doesn't get dirty, is in A/C the majority of the time, he does NOT like the bath so I don't really see the point.
Quote:
Baby acne. Whats the skinny on this? The girls' never got it. But poor Ry has it bad. How long does it last? I notice it's worse after showers. It's only on his face so i know it's not a reaction to soap or detergents. I want to get family portraits done, and so i wasn't sure if this was a perpetual thing til they get older or passes in the first few weeks post partum due to hormones. He's 5 weeks old.
It usually shows up between 4-6weeks. It usually lasts a few weeks. All but one of my boys got it, it is a reaction to the change in hormones. Usually doing nothing is the best thing. I tried a MILD non-alcohol based neutrogena astringent I use on myself on Max just to see what would happen yesterday. His acne improved by a good 50%, tried it again this morning and it looks like his acne will be pretty much gone by tomorrow. Could be coincidence. :
Quote:
Anyone taken their newbies swimming yet? What's the recommended age? I hate to take him in a chlorinated pool, but our water in this city is highly chlorinated so i am more concerned with the pool being too colld. Anyone use any wraps to take their LO in the pool? Any recommendations?
Max will go to Sea World and the pool with us but won't really be in the water. Especially at the pool since it is spring fed and 72 degrees. I use a solarveil sling that I got from kangarookorner. Works very well. My super fair babies have never gotten anything close to a sunburn, even in the hot TX summer sun.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
#3 of 9 Old 07-13-2010, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, good info! Glad the poop thing is normal lol! And Ry LOVES his showers with me, as i do too. That's probably why i do it so often. But it felt like not enough after my girls.

Sounds like Ry is on the tail end of the acne then. He's had it for a good 3 weeks. It popped up really quickly after birth. I haven't done anything to it yet, for fear of making it worse. I had horrid acne as a teen, so am terrified of any of them ever having to deal with scarring like i do!

I need to find out what the temp of the pool is. Wonder if the apartment manager would know since there is no thermometer? Solarveil, wonder if i could buy that myself and just make up a wrap or sling? I looked up kangarookorner and it's out of business

#4 of 9 Old 07-13-2010, 04:49 PM

DS rarely poops at night - sometimes a little squirt. I know that DD was one of those BF babies that pooped like every 4 days after the newborn time, so I'm wondering if he'll do the same.

re; baths; We have yet to give him a full bath - just haven't made the time - but he's gotten wiped down almost daily. He's in AC most of the time and hasn't had a lot of diaper blowouts or huge urps.

re; age gap - DD is 6 3/4 ! I am DYING for school to start! ... I think it will be a little harder for the 3 pm pickup than the AM drop off - more likely to interfere with naps, etc. I'm planning on using my mommy posse as a backup to get DD and drop her off at my house (which is 2 blocks from school. Unfortunately they won't let her walk home solo, even though we would trust her to do it.)

But it just is great for her to have something to do - and we're incredibly fortunate that she goes to an amazing, progressive charter school that we wholeheartedly love. I think it's great for her to have her own sphere because of the huge age gap - and I'm looking forward to being able to spend a lot of baby time - almost like having two onlies.

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#5 of 9 Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozeyermamma View Post
DS rarely poops at night - sometimes a little squirt. I know that DD was one of those BF babies that pooped like every 4 days after the newborn time, so I'm wondering if he'll do the same.

re; baths; We have yet to give him a full bath - just haven't made the time - but he's gotten wiped down almost daily. He's in AC most of the time and hasn't had a lot of diaper blowouts or huge urps.

re; age gap - DD is 6 3/4 ! I am DYING for school to start! ... I think it will be a little harder for the 3 pm pickup than the AM drop off - more likely to interfere with naps, etc. I'm planning on using my mommy posse as a backup to get DD and drop her off at my house (which is 2 blocks from school. Unfortunately they won't let her walk home solo, even though we would trust her to do it.)

But it just is great for her to have something to do - and we're incredibly fortunate that she goes to an amazing, progressive charter school that we wholeheartedly love. I think it's great for her to have her own sphere because of the huge age gap - and I'm looking forward to being able to spend a lot of baby time - almost like having two onlies.
Honestly the drop off schedule terrifies me. DD#2 gets dropped off at 8 am, then dd #2 gets dropped off at 9 am. Then i go back and pick up dd#2 at 11:34 and then back for the last time at 3 for dd#1. I was peeved that they gave dd#2 the morning schedule for kindergarten, drop off is going to be interesting with a newborn. AND we only live a block behind the school, so that throws away the walking idea because i don't see going back and forth at 8 and again at 9. Maybe i'll drive the first drop off then walk the 2nd when it's just my oldest and the baby. . . I really wish we had full day kindergarten here. But i'll figure something out. I'm just not sure what yet lol.

#6 of 9 Old 07-14-2010, 01:44 PM

Oy vey. That's an insane drop off schedule. Do you know any other moms who you can ask (beg) to handle one of the drop offs or pickups? Sheesh.

Oh and I meant to ask you - how do you take your little one into the shower with you? In a sling? Sounds like fun. I took baths with DD from infancy until ... well, we still do it now ... and we loved it! But never tried a shower with a baby ....

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#7 of 9 Old 07-14-2010, 05:41 PM
jdg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka mommy View Post
So DS doesn't poop at night. Is that ok?
Francesca stopped pooping most nights when she was about 4 weeks old. She makes up for it during the afternoon and evening!

Quote:
How often are y'all bathing your newborns?
Barely ever. She gets her face and neck wiped down with a cloth wipe about once a day to deal with some of the spilled milk - she's a ridiculously messy eater! But she doesn't have huge poops and almost never spits up. She had her first bath at about 3-4 weeks old in the little baby bathtub and HATED it. Since then, I get in the real bathtub with her about once per week.

Quote:
Baby acne. Whats the skinny on this?
Francesca's is fairly mild, but it's surprising stuff. She had one pimple near her eye that was there almost immediately after she was born and just went away at 7 week sold. I've never had a pimple last that long! She only has a few of them, though, so I've just been completely ignoring it.

Quote:
Anyone taken their newbies swimming yet? What's the recommended age?
Francesca was born small, so she still doesn't fit into a swim diaper. As soon as she does, she'll be going in. From what I read, the known danger with chlorine is from breathing a lot of it in indoor/enclosed pools, not from swimming in chlorinated pools.

Jackie
#8 of 9 Old 07-14-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozeyermamma View Post
Oy vey. That's an insane drop off schedule. Do you know any other moms who you can ask (beg) to handle one of the drop offs or pickups? Sheesh.

Oh and I meant to ask you - how do you take your little one into the shower with you? In a sling? Sounds like fun. I took baths with DD from infancy until ... well, we still do it now ... and we loved it! But never tried a shower with a baby ....
1 hand typing - with my dd's i used a baby towel and held that around them to keep from slipping and would move it as i washed their body parts.

This time i cradle in the crook of my left arm and wash everything facing me with my right hand. I use just the soap and water. Then put him on my shoulder and wash his back and bum. Then after we are done bathing him i turn the water to the bath part, sit down indian style and lay him across my legs and use the washcloth to get under his neck and fat folds. If i have to i can wash & condition my hair and just pull the knob to make the shower hit my hair. Its awesome because the shower totally soothes him and its the only place he doesnt throw his head back while on my shoulder. And he loves bonding time and checking me out while we sit and listen to the water. It's where i got his first smile in direct response to me smiling at him

eta: i dont know anyone at this school as all our friends are in the old neighborhood and go to a different school! I'll have to make new friends fast lol!

#9 of 9 Old 07-15-2010, 01:29 PM

I shower with my baby, too, but not every day. Maybe every 3 or 4 days. Dh wishes that our babies got bathed every day, and I'd probably do it every 10 days left to my own devices, so it's a compromise.

No swimming yet, but we'll probably go soon (he's 4 weeks old).

I'm jealous of the no poop!! I have a pooping machine, just like #1 was. He also spits up all.the.time, just like #1. I had a nice break with #2. LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page