Dreams - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-20-2010, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
You know you're cosleeping if you dream that your doctor is giving you a breast exam only to wake up and find that the sensation continues.

Is anyone else having their dreams influenced by having a newborn? I find I still have all sorts of crazy dreams like I did before she was born, only now she's in most of them even if she doesn't fit the storyline.

Living happily and embracing adventures.
#2 of 7 Old 07-20-2010, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought about posting a similar thread because I've been having super wacky dreams! I chalk it up to all the hormonal changes postpartum and being woken every hour. My dreams are seriously strange. I had one last week that can only be described as a cross between "Battlestar Galactica" and Joss Wehdon's "Dollhouse" - it was super weird and very vivid.
#3 of 7 Old 07-20-2010, 04:08 PM

Yes! I just wish it was something wacky or weird....mine are awful.

I dreamt that my DH took all 3 kids out for a day of fun(yes the newborn too...weird) and I went out shortly after to go shopping. When I returned to my house there were 3 police cars in front of my house. I got out of the car and I knew something was very wrong. They then told me that my entire family had been killed a car wreck. I was bawling in my sleep and it wasn't until my Dh woke me up that I realized it wasn't true. All of my dreams are surrounded with death. It's absolutely awful.

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#4 of 7 Old 07-21-2010, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Oh Tulafina! That's awful! I hope you have some pleasant dreams soon. I wouldn't want to go to sleep if that's what I dreamt about.

Slsurface, yes exactly the kind of dreams I often have lately! I had one that I was on a large space ship with DD and my younger sister that I don't get along with AT ALL, and there was this huge jellyfish-like alien outside that was sucking the energy out of the station and rapidly multiplying. There was a shuttle leaving for a space station, so we got on that before the crowd started panicking. We arrived at the station that greatly resembled the mall back home, and I grabbed a shopping cart to carry all our stuff and go shopping. My sister and I got into a huge stupid argument about where to eat and whether to find the restroom before ordering or not, and we ended up splitting up. Then the security guards started following me around to see if I was shoplifting, because apparently a woman in pajamas carrying a tiny newborn is suspicious around there. Haha. I was so glad to be rid of my sister, though! Guess I'd rather be in jail than on a trip with her. Yipes.

#5 of 7 Old 07-22-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulafina View Post
Yes! I just wish it was something wacky or weird....mine are awful.

I dreamt that my DH took all 3 kids out for a day of fun(yes the newborn too...weird) and I went out shortly after to go shopping. When I returned to my house there were 3 police cars in front of my house. I got out of the car and I knew something was very wrong. They then told me that my entire family had been killed a car wreck. I was bawling in my sleep and it wasn't until my Dh woke me up that I realized it wasn't true. All of my dreams are surrounded with death. It's absolutely awful.
Oh, that stinks! I've had a couple scary dreams too, they were no fun at all .
#6 of 7 Old 07-23-2010, 10:54 PM

Isn't dreaming a good sign of getting sleep? How long do you have to sleep to get into REM?

Well, I guess not that long because when I doze I have the weirdest ones. Usually just realistic enough to confuse me as to what has really happened in my life and what I dreamed!

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#7 of 7 Old 07-23-2010, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

The average person sleeps about 90 mins before hitting REM, and each sleep cycle you go through in a row gets you more deep sleep and longer REM periods.

I have narcolepsy, and tend to hit REM right away, but all my deep (delta wave) sleep is interrupted by lighter sleep stages (called alpha wave intrusion) and REM, so then I end up not getting any significant amount of restorative sleep.

Having a newborn wake you up frequently produces a similar effect.

I have a medication that consolidates my sleep, but I've had to go off it in order to breastfeed. For each day that I'm off it, I get more and more sleep-deprived no matter how much I sleep. Most new moms get a chance to experience for a while something like what people w/narcolepsy go through every day, minus some of the more severe symptoms (hallucinations, cataplexy, sleep paralysis).

Anyway...I guess my point is it's nice having good company for a while. =)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page