How are they sleeping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2010, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD was not a sleeper and literally was up in 20 minute chunks

DS is a total sleeper He has two really "awake" periods, one in the morning and one in the evening where he's up, happy and alert for 1-2 hrs. Besides those, he mostly spends his days eating, being awake for really brief periods, getting changed, and napping [with a few solid 1-2 hr naps]

And at night he's up every 2-3 hours to nurse, and he's back down!

He's going to be 3 weeks old tomorrow

How about your babes?

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 03:06 PM

Compared to my other 2, Evelyn is not a great sleeper. She likes to be held alot to sleep, or will sleep in the bouncy seat, but she does not like to sleep in her crib at all. I can sometimes nurse her down in my bed hand she will take a decent nap, but even now at 8 weeks she has no schedule which is way different than my other 2, but they were both into binkies and swaddling( 2 things that Evy hates) Another thing that can be a pain is that most nights she has an awake period in the middle of the night where she wants to coo and look around and smile at me, not so much fun when I want to be asleep. I think I parent differently this time too though which seems to have some impact on her sleep. We cosleep at night, and nurse on demand and I am staying at home rather than worrying about getting back to work so I'm sure that is playing a big part in the differences between Evelyn and my other 2.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:29 PM

mommariffic, I could have written your post, except Leilah's 2 awake periods are about 2-3 hours a piece. I actually have to wake her at night to nurse! We're averaging about 10 hours of sleep a night (with 3 nursing sessions stuck in there).

IMO, it's about time I got a chill, calm child =)
Old 07-20-2010, 06:42 PM

He's horrible lol. Clusterfeeding from 8 am to 2 pm & naps a few hours off and on during that but only in my arms. At night he's nursing every 45 mins with 2 big 2 hour stretches. Last night i jumped for joy because he got a 3 hour stretch which i needed since im fighting mastitis

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
Old 07-21-2010, 10:49 AM

I never knew a newborn could fight sleep.

My DD may have nursed every 2 hrs but it knocked her cold. This little nipple nibbler can stay awake - maybe with a few tiny cat naps thrown in - for FIVE HOURS. I said to DH the other day that I think maybe something is seriously wrong with him. DH said I was nuts.

On the other hand, after those massive awake periods I can get him to nap in his crib or moses basket solo for up to 4 hrs. Of course, I can't get him to do that from, say, midnight to 4 a.m.

Basically he cluster nurses from like 3 am to 6 or 7, then he's awake for a while, usually I'll get a big nap in the mid morning, then awake. Hopefully a big afternoon nap. Then he's up from usually 6 pm till about 10. Ugh.

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

Old 07-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozeyermamma View Post
I never knew a newborn could fight sleep.
I did-- my DD#1 perfected it!

DD#2 is very different. She sleeps for a few hours at a time, has a few alert periods, often in the evening. Again, unlike DD#1, she can be put down for naps, although we haven't really been doing it in a crib, mostly a papasan chair and a swing. She co-sleeps in our bed at night, but has done a few stretches in the co-sleeper. At night she was doing 6(!) hour stretches, but mostly she sleeps a 3 or 4 hour stretch with some snacking until morning.

Of course, all of that is out the window right now since she has a her first fever and sore throat thanks to big sis (at 7 weeks!)

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

Old 07-21-2010, 06:24 PM

... been trying to get him to sleep for the past 3 1/2 hours. I have to put him up on my chest to burp him (or else he barfs everywhere) and that's waking him up. I've nursed him at 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Kill me now ...

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

Old 07-21-2010, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Great, as long as I'm within 1/2" of her, and sometimes great even if I'm in the other room. We had a rough day dealing w/other people today, and now she's being super clingy. I don't mind b/c I'm exhausted. I've asked a friend to come over tmw to tend to her while I clean. DH is in Canada, so at least there's no one to undo all the straightening up. I'm hosting a playgroup for 2010 babies Monday morning, and a bible study Mon night, and I can't stand people seeing this complete wreck.

Living happily and embracing adventures.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:23 AM

Stella (fingers crossed) is a GREAT sleeper at night. I have no idea why-my DS was a horrible sleeper and DD1 was pretty typical-but Stella-wow! She will usually sleep 11-4 and then 4-7 with a feed in between. She goes back to sleep after the 4 a.m and 7 a.m. feeds. I always thought *I* was doing something wrong with my other two that caused them to be not so great sleepers, but now I see it is just luck of the draw!

She's not a great sleep during the day-I don't think I've quite figured out how to get her down effectively and in the right time increments, but I won't complain. I also, I think my other two make it a challenge for her to have a peaceful sleep during the day.

Mama to Noah and Sophie and Stella 7/4/ 2010
Old 07-22-2010, 07:44 PM

Ugh! DS1 never slept! He would only sleep a few minutes at a time and he HAD to be on me to do it. I swear he took a couple years off my life with all the sleep deprevation.

DS2 sleeps ALL day - which is great, except for the fact that he is awake and cluster feeds from 6-10pm and 2am-5am every night! About the time that he's ready to sleep again (and let me sleep) DS1 wakes up and is ready to go for the day. So DS2 IS a better sleeper, but so far he still has his nights and days switched. And since I have DS1 to take care of, I can't sleep during the day with the baby . I'm soooooo tired!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:42 PM

GREAT! I am scared to talk about it in case it changes. RIght now, at 6 weeks, he wakes up between 8 and 9 am, has a long awake time in the morning if we are home, or catnaps if we're out. He usually has a really long nap in the afternoon, cluster feeds until 9 pm. He sleeps great overnight, waking every 2-3 hours to eat but goes right back to sleep.

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
Old 07-24-2010, 12:57 PM

Set your faces to green....

She sleeps SEVEN SOLID HOURS almost every night. A bad night for her is 5 hours. I am NOT waking her to nurse, because to me giving up sleep is insane. LOL.

Now she's gaining weight a bit slowly, though growing fine (getting longer just not getting heavier as fast), and she's awake a LOT in the day and cluster feeds for 3 or 4 hours most evenings, and is he doesn't get at least 2 good 2+hour naps in in the day it all goes to pot, but so far *knocking on wooden head* she's a really really good sleeper. I'm not worried about her sleep interfering with my supply, because she feeds 10-14times in every 24 hour period, just with a long gap in the night.

Which is a shame in a way because i'm definitely in the camp of not thinking sleep says anything about parenting success or health (except in the extremes of course). So she's wasted on me.

User Tag List