Losing Weight - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 07-20-2010, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so sad right now. I have very little time to get my bm supply build up or we're going to have to start supplementing Lauren.

When she was born, she was 7#12oz. When we left the hospital, I think she was down to 7#5oz. At her 2 week checkup she was I think 6#14oz. I've been breastfeeding on demand, not really tracking. She has lots of wets and poos every day. She's not growing, though. Today (she's 3w5d) we weighed her on our home scale (weigh self without baby then weigh self holding baby) and she was 6.8 pounds. Not as exact as a baby scale, but basically that means somewhere between 6#12oz. and 6#15oz. (It goes in increments of .2) In any case, that's not good. We had this problem with Cadence at 5 months. After growing fairly steadily all along, she lost a pound in a month and we had to start supplementing. In supplementing, the little I had dried up very quickly and we quit bfing within a week. I was so depressed. I was determined not to let that happen this time.

I've pumped a few ounces, so I'm going to just try to nurse her and give her like an ounce after feedings to ensure that she's getting more in. I'm also afraid to get into the spit up cycle. It's so hard to find that amount that's enough but not too much. I do need to build up my supply quickly, though, or I'm going to run out of the few ounces I've been able to pump. I'm increasing my water intake, eating a whole bunch of oatmeal, continuing to take my Fenugreek, I'm going out to hunt down some Blessed Thistle, and even though I'm sure my nipples are going to feel like they're falling off, I'm going to be feeding or pumping as much as possible.

I'm glad we're aware and getting a handle on this early, but still really upset that I'm not just naturally able to feed my child. My mom said she had supply issues with me, too, but that doesn't make things okay. If we have to put her on formula, it is going to spiral me into a pit of PPD.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#2 of 30 Old 07-20-2010, 04:12 PM

I'm so sorry Tiff It sounds like you are doing everything you can to help your supply. The only other thing that works like a charm for me is Alfalfa tablets....they boost my supply by ounces in just a week. Lots of hugs,
Julie

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#3 of 30 Old 07-20-2010, 04:13 PM

Mother's Milk tea by traditional medicinals has blessed thisle & fenugreek among other healthy lactation necessities.

I'm breast feeding my little one while pumping for another baby. It's causing me to make a boat load of milk. I don't know if this necessarily could factor into you producing more milk, and I certainly don't want to offer advice that could be counterproductive (so make sure you double check this)...but what if you nursed her on both sides til she was finished, and pumped in consistent sessions in the interim, while she sleeps/isn't showing interest. It would cause your body to think you need more milk, while also allowing you those extra ounces you need to get her weight up. To pump for another/feed my own, I thoroughly nurse my baby on one side while simultaneously pumping on the other. I switch up the sides on the next session.

I don't know how much liquid you're consuming a day, but don't discount the value and necessity of staying well hydrated. I drink over a gallon of water a day, plus a glass or two of juice, as well as two cups of mother's milk tea. I also throw in a hoppy dark beer every other day, which is said to increase production.

How often are you nursing? Once an hour? Once every three? You may want to nurse more often?

Hoping your flood gates open! Keep us posted! <3
#4 of 30 Old 07-20-2010, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice and support. I've tried MM tea in the past. I might attempt to find some again. And the Alfalfa tablets. I'm game for anything.

We've had at least 2 days out of the hospital that we did "nursing days" where she and I spent the day in bed and she just nursed all day while dh took care of the other 3. Unfortunately, in order to have money he has to work so we don't have that option much anymore. Our usual schedule (I'm really having to think here since I can barely remember what day it is let alone when we nurse. lol) is that she nurses on onee or both sides when we wake up in the morning. If dh is home from work, that's a very long, leisurely session. If I have to get up to run the kids (that's only been 1 or 2 days) then it's letting her suck a couple minutes past when she's not swallowing any more, moving her to the other side, repeating, and then getting up. She usually has an awake time for a couple hours, then nurses until she dozes off, I do a diaper change, then nurse on the other side until she falls asleep and she naps for anywhere between 10 minutes (today when middle sister kept waking her up) and 3 hours. Then she gets up, nurses, and it's a toss up. We usually have running to do so she's slung or in a car seat and she will either be awake looking around or sleeping. She nurses in the evening, then usually right before bed. She likes to go down for her long sleep at 11-11:30. (makes me giggle because she was born at 11:27. Wonder if there's any corelation) She sleeps for between 1-5 hours (usually closer to the 1, it's been as long as 5) and then she wakes up and comes in with us for the night. We basically just sleep with my nipple in her mouth most of the night then. If I wake up and realize that my nipple is sore and/or that she's grunting and rooting, we'll flip to the other side and repeat.

I have always produced WAY less from my right than my left, like half the amount. No matter what. I have tried to build up the supply in my right and it's just never happened. So this time I'm focusing on my left. She nurses on my left more often and if I know I want to get more milk in her in a shorter amount of time (which is much of the time) she will go on my left. If I know she's not really hungry but more just tired, I'll put her on my right. She has this tendency to think she's hungry when she's really gassy and she'll eat too much at a time and then spit up. That doesn't help a whole lot with the keeping food in her.

I know I've been lacking in my water drinking the last few days. When dh is working (3 on/3 off) I end up running around like a chicken with my head cut off and I don't take care of myself. I guess even when he is home I have trouble remembering to do that. Today it was 2pm and I was dizzy. I tried to figure out why and then remembered that DUH I hadn't eaten anything all day. I'd drank a huge jug of water, but no food. That doesn't help either. The Fenugreek usually makes me ravenously hungry (it's an appetite stimulant, which is probably why it's becoming impossible for me to take off those last few pounds of pregnancy weight) so that helps me want to eat.

Sorry, I'm totally rambling right now. I can't really talk to anyone about this. My mom was telling me to start supplementing her in the hospital (supportive, right?) and dh is trying to be supportive, but he doesn't understand why I'm so depressed over this. He will do whatever I want. I know he doesn't see it as a failure if I can't nurse. I do, though.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#5 of 30 Old 07-20-2010, 11:20 PM

Sorry you are going through this. I had weight issues with DS and the first pedi was pushing formula at us the first well baby appointment. I agree with what pp said about pumping increasing your milk supply. If you have a good mechanical pump you could pump after the baby finishes.

Have you contacted the La Leche people? They can be a really helpful might have some help or suggestions for you.

You have to take good care of yourself first and make sure you are getting enough calories and fluids and rest. Hang in there.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#6 of 30 Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 AM

are there any older kids/teens in your neighborhood who you could have come be a mother's helper for a couple of hours a day? Preferably during her awake period, so you can offer the breast as constantly as she'll take it.

I know I'm the eleventieth person to say this, but make sure you're getting enough liquid. I'm drinking 4L/day, and I still get dry lips some times (which is my symptom that I'm not drinking enough water).

Would you consider taking domperidone?

If, after all you've done, you still can't exclusively breastfeed, or breastfeed at all, do NOT feel a failure. You're not a mom who just says, "hey, I'm not going to breastfeed because I can't be bothered." You're doing your all, and really, a loving devoted mother who doesn't beat herself up, and is happy, is far more important in the long run than how you fed your child in her first few months. Really. I have a 12-year-old, and I'm here to tell you, I cannot tell by knowing her and her friends, who was breastfed, combo fed, or formula fed. I can tell whose parents are involved and listen to them, and I can tell whose parents put effort into their education, and I can tell whose parents make them feel cherished. And to some degree, I can tell whose parents currently feed them healthy food. But I cannot tell (and if I thought I could, I would be frequently surprised to discover the truth of) who was fed how in the first months of their lives. And parenting really is about the long run.

You're doing great so far. You'll continue to be a great mother. It shows by how hard you're trying now.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#7 of 30 Old 07-21-2010, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again.

I have 2 Medela PIS. I actually got my second one for $7.50 at a local thrift store (and just use the horns and bottles I already have with it). Today I spent quite a bit of time with them. This last time dh looked at me and said "doesn't that hurt?" I just kind of said "ya think?"

I had the LC come in to my room every day that I was in the hospital. I told them about my past supply issues and asked if they had any suggestions. They gave me some handouts, but it's all the same stuff. Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle, oatmeal, etc. I have some herbs on order and I'm really hoping to make it til they get here. I drank at least 2.5 gallons of water today. I didn't even realize how much I was drinking. I have a 48 ounce jug that I filled 3 times and drank some that I had left over from overnight too. I'm going to keep making sure I get enough water in. I know that I've been drinking too much soda and not enough water.

My 10yo is fairly helpful when she's around. She will usually help out with the 2yo. She's gone for 3-4 hours a day at activities, though. And running her to those activities, as well as running my 5yo, takes up a lot of what could potentially be "boob time". That's only this week and next, though, then things slow down. I just have to hope I can get some weight on Lauren somehow and then we'll work on routine.

For the day, I fed her about 3 ounces more than I produced (thawed one of my two 3oz bags from the freezer). I have about 6 ounces left in reserves that I can use the next couple days if need be. So, I guess I'm on the clock.

#8 of 30 Old 07-21-2010, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I am sorry you're going through this! The lactation consultants that were trying to help me get DD to latch on better started freaking out that she was losing weight and that I wasn't producing enough in the first 2 wks. She really had only lost 5 oz since birth, so they really shouldn't have made a big deal, and it just took a little longer for my milk to come in, but two helpful tips they gave me were:

1. pumping should not hurt, and if it does, you've got the wrong size flanges and if you continue you could hurt your supply just from having pain while you pump

2. eating more protein will boost your supply

I don't know if those will help you, but I definitely saw improvements once I followed those tips.

I don't know if those

Living happily and loving it!
#9 of 30 Old 07-21-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorasMama View Post
If, after all you've done, you still can't exclusively breastfeed, or breastfeed at all, do NOT feel a failure. You're not a mom who just says, "hey, I'm not going to breastfeed because I can't be bothered." You're doing your all, and really, a loving devoted mother who doesn't beat herself up, and is happy, is far more important in the long run than how you fed your child in her first few months. Really. I have a 12-year-old, and I'm here to tell you, I cannot tell by knowing her and her friends, who was breastfed, combo fed, or formula fed. I can tell whose parents are involved and listen to them, and I can tell whose parents put effort into their education, and I can tell whose parents make them feel cherished. And to some degree, I can tell whose parents currently feed them healthy food. But I cannot tell (and if I thought I could, I would be frequently surprised to discover the truth of) who was fed how in the first months of their lives. And parenting really is about the long run.

You're doing great so far. You'll continue to be a great mother. It shows by how hard you're trying now.

Breastfeeding is wonderful but is by no means a prerequisite for having a healthy, loving relationship with your daughter. She will benefit far more from having a relaxed, peaceful mama than one who is anxious and depressed. Be proud of all you've done and continue to do for her. This precious time goes by so fast... Don't spend it stressed out and unhappy. Best wishes and good luck!!!

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

#10 of 30 Old 07-21-2010, 12:00 PM

Tiffanoodle, I was researching increasing milk supply and was floored to learn that too much water can adversely affect milk production, both by (1) decreasing milk supply, and by (2) reducing a woman’s potassium level so that a negative impact occurs to her milk supply.

It seems that "drinking to thirst" plus a little more is the advice that's offered, and that seems to fall numerically around 80 oz a day. Water, teas, and no extra added sugar juices are best. I'd hook yourself up with with that 48oz jug and drink from it twice. I use my Britta pitcher the same way.

(1) "Drinking properly is every bit as important as eating properly. It is important to stay hydrated by drinking to thirst. Do not, however, drink large amounts of fluids with the idea that this will increase your milk supply. It does not work that way and ingesting too much liquid can actually reduce your supply" from the Le Leche League at http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug05p142.html

(2) http://blisstree.com/live/how-much-w...need-to-drink/

Who would've thought, right? I suppose that old adage of moderation as best still holds true.

Don't forget the importance of eating/snacking healthfully throughout the day. I, too, have found myself feeling faint a number of times and it made it hard to concentrate or feel on top of my game.

Quote:
You're doing your all, and really, a loving devoted mother who doesn't beat herself up, and is happy, is far more important in the long run than how you fed your child in her first few months. Really. I have a 12-year-old, and I'm here to tell you, I cannot tell by knowing her and her friends, who was breastfed, combo fed, or formula fed. I can tell whose parents are involved and listen to them, and I can tell whose parents put effort into their education, and I can tell whose parents make them feel cherished. And to some degree, I can tell whose parents currently feed them healthy food. But I cannot tell (and if I thought I could, I would be frequently surprised to discover the truth of) who was fed how in the first months of their lives. And parenting really is about the long run.
As women & moms, we're incredibly hard on each other/ourselves. I love what you have to say corasmom, and I wish this eloquent sentiment was echoed more often throughout all cultures.
#11 of 30 Old 07-22-2010, 12:14 PM

. I had horrid supply issues with DS. After an awful birth experience, I felt like I HAD to get nursing right, but in the end, he had to get 25% of his calories from formula in order to gain. I had LCs, all the herbs, tired round the clock pumping, domperidone...the works. It was so stressful, which in hindsight, wasn't helping things at all. I just empathize so much and wish I had a magic answer for you. I still feel pangs of failure about it sometimes, no matter how "irrational" it may seem to others.

The one thing that I would try to remind myself was something our otherwise worthless Ped at the time told me: The nutrition and antibodies he receives in just a tablespoon of breastmilk is huge and more than lots of babes get. You ARE nursing you r babe and will continue to. Thats what matters.

. Hang in there.

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#12 of 30 Old 07-22-2010, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

That is really interesting about the water. I think I was actually pretty dehydrated the other day, when I drank so much. I only went to the bathroom I think 2 or 3 times the whole day. I never actually stopped being thirsty, just stopped drinking. Yesterday, I drank almost 2 jugs. Hopefully now that I'm hydrated again, that will help.

The pain comes more from letdowns than anything. I get a pins and needles feeling. And when I first start with the pump (or Lauren for that matter) there's a few moments of pain. It goes away as long as I've started the pump on a weaker setting or Lauren's latch is correct.

I'm going to try to make sure I'm getting enough protein. Maybe that's why I've been craving chicken lately.

Yesterday I ended up even for milk. I pretty much just fed her all day. I pumped an ounce while we were watching evening TV, and I had dh feed that to her right before bedtime in addition to her normal feeding.

Thank you for all the continued support. It really helps.

#13 of 30 Old 07-23-2010, 10:49 PM

I don't have advice but wanted to offer support. Hang in there, and I am so impressed by your perseverance!

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#14 of 30 Old 07-24-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I can tell whose parents are involved and listen to them, and I can tell whose parents put effort into their education, and I can tell whose parents make them feel cherished. And to some degree, I can tell whose parents currently feed them healthy food. But I cannot tell (and if I thought I could, I would be frequently surprised to discover the truth of) who was fed how in the first months of their lives. And parenting really is about the long run.
You should bottle this and sell it!!!

Tiff i had to wean DD1 after a medical issue bombed my milk and it was horrible. We supplemented from 5months and weaned at 7. You've already gotten fabulous advice. I'm assuming her latch is good (only other thing i can think of which would help with supply - a lactation consultant told me that even though pumps are good, a pump is only as good as a poorly latched baby in terms of what they can extract)? I've noticed my LO getting a bit lazy recently (she's gaining, but around 4oz/week, rather than the 6-7 she'd need to be gaining to stay with her curve on the chart) and i sometimes stuff a bit more nipple into the corner of her mouth with my little finger - not fabulous technique, but it works! I can always hear a fresh round of swallowing after she gets a deeper latch

Massive hugs to you. Bless you for being such a lovely mama, for going to such lengths for your babe, and for having the courage to fight a battle you lost once before - i really know how hard that feels.
#15 of 30 Old 07-25-2010, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

*sigh* Currently my little one is taking her first 2 ounces of formula from my dh. Throughout the day I gave her the 3 ounces I had saved up and she's still hungry tonight. I had a litle time to pump this afternoon, but got about an ounce which she drank right after she woke up (in addition to the other 3 she had today) and otherwise she was pretty much nursing any other time I could have pumped. I know I'm letting down several times in a nursing, but just not producing enough. I think her extra hunger today is also a result of me not having taken any Percocet for a couple days now.

I got my herbs yesterday, and yesterday and today I've had 64 ounces of mother's milk tea which I also put some alfalfa in. I've been eating oatmeal cookies, not drinking a ton of water, (well, still drinking a ton of water but simply because I'm thirsty and it's the middle of summer) making sure I'm eating, and I have some Domperidone on order. I also found a baby scale for sale on Craigslist. I e-mailed them and I'm really hoping to get a response soon. Our scale read her at 7.8lb today, which is a good gain, but that's just not a reliable method of weighing her.

I told dh he is NOT allowed to let me stop nursing. I have some Enfamil samples that I got in pregnancy (I'm one of those people who likes to get them because I've had to use them every time and it just saves me money). I am going to give her formula as I see that she needs it, but my goal is to not have to buy any. The Dom can take 3 weeks to get here. I'm very hopeful that I can keep up some kind of supply until then and then I will have 300 pills to start with. I have visions of days where I have a stockpile of milk in the freezer and can look back on these days as a distant memory.

#16 of 30 Old 07-25-2010, 04:05 PM

I'm so sorry, I don't have any advice, just lots of support and cyber hugs!!! You are a fabulous and strong mommy for going through all of this for your LO, she is very lucky!!!!
#17 of 30 Old 07-26-2010, 06:13 AM

you're in my thoughts and prayers! You really are doing a good job, and you should be very proud of yourself. It will be okay. Formula isn't poison, I promise. Take good care of yourself.

#18 of 30 Old 07-27-2010, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Today I took her to the doctor for a weight check. I wanted to get that in now, a week before her 6 week appointment next week. She weighed in at 7#9oz. Not terrific, but a gain nonetheless. We're at 4 ounces of supplementing today, 2 ounces this morning and 2 ounces this afternoon. I'll probably give her another 2 ounces before bed.

I also need to set an alarm tonight, clearly. Last night Lauren went to her bassinette at midnight after a little formula and nursing for quite awhile. I woke up to her fussing at 7:00!!! I can't remember the last time I slept 7 hours in a row without getting up to feed her or go to the bathroom...must have been sometime in March. The night before it was about midnight until 6am. It was really nice to get the sleep, but not good for the supply at all. She only slept like an hour in her carseat yesterday, so it didn't surprise me that she slept. I just know at a month they're really not "supposed" to sleep that long. And with weight gain concerns, I'm going to try to watch it. My dd1 slept 4 hours on her first night of life and was going 8+ hours at night by a month. She was almost 9 pounds at birth and gained steadily, though.

I have noticed that I feel full more often now. And I was leaking like crazy this afternoon. I easily pumped 2 ounces yesterday on the way out of the house, so I'm very optimistic that I will be able to do this. I know formula isn't *bad*, I just also know that for me it's a slippery slope to drying up.

#19 of 30 Old 07-27-2010, 02:15 AM

yeah, I would set an alarm to wake her up after 3 hours if you can. I'm sure you know this, but you don't want to go more than 3 hours if you're trying to build supply. And if you can't wake her, or she doesn't eat a bunch from both sides, pump afterward. Remind me, what kind of pump do you have?

#20 of 30 Old 07-27-2010, 02:18 AM

also, in addition to the Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle, how about Goats Rue? I'm taking a mixture of Fenugreek, Goats Rue, Blessed Thistle and Alfalfa, and some extra Fenugreek, and it's really boosted my supply. As far as how much Fenugreek to take, I took more each day until it affected my ... toilet habits, shall we say ... and then backed off from that.

#21 of 30 Old 07-28-2010, 01:14 AM

I've been using More Milk Special Blend from Motherlove and it's really helped my supply. It has Goat's Rue, Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle:

http://www.motherlove.com/product/580.html

Tastes nasty but it works!!!

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

#22 of 30 Old 07-28-2010, 11:47 AM

That More Milk stuff comes in an alcohol free version, which tastes WAY better, by the way.

#23 of 30 Old 07-28-2010, 01:08 PM

I have to stick a boob in my daughter's mouth every three hours or so during the night to make sure I'm meeting her nutritive needs lest she sleep through the night, as well. Unlike my son who alternated cluster nursing with belly problems all day & night, my dd will sleep 10 peaceful hours. Keeping her in bed with us really gives me all the benefits of her chill, calm, peaceful disposition while concurrently meeting her needs since the most I'm required to do for a feeding is roll over & pop the "nursie" in her mouth before lulling off to a semi-lucid sleep state. This is heavenly compared to all the pacing & rocking I did for my son during his early months. Definitely set an alarm for every three hours and nurse her during these hours. Your body will naturally produce the most milk it's capable of producing during the night hours because you're resting, and this is one of the important components to making milk (rest, fluids, food). Don't miss out on these prime breast feeding hours by sleeping through them...both your production & your LO can really benefit during these hours.

It's awesome that you've been able to pump a number of ounces during the times you're offering formula. It's pure proof that your body is really making milk. Keep pumping during the times you offer formula so you don't send a signal to your breats that the milk you've pushed so hard for it to produce is no longer needed and cause it to dry up.

Awesome job on the weight gain. You only started supplementing a couple days ago. Be proud of yourself that YOU caused ALL that gain to occur since you first posted.Lots of hugs!
#24 of 30 Old 07-28-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
That More Milk stuff comes in an alcohol free version, which tastes WAY better, by the way.
Thanks so much for the recommendation. I get mine from a local place called The Pump Station. They don't carry the alcohol free version but I'll ask them to start.

#25 of 30 Old 07-28-2010, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Remind me, what kind of pump do you have?
I have a Medela Pump in Style. 2, actually.

The last couple nights she's woken up more during the night. Monday night I couldn't sleep, so I was up when she stirred around 3. She would only take 1 side, then she went to snuggle with dh and I pumped. She came back to me about 6:30 and slept and nursed the rest of the morning. Last night I slept. She came back around 3 and just stayed with me to sleep/nurse.

She's been getting about 6-7 ounces of formula a day still. I pumped while she was napping yesterday because I knew we were going to have to get going to my dd's baseball game. I got a solid 2 ounces. I noticed, though, that it is coming much quicker. Like, of the 2 ounces, at least an ounce and a half letdown in the first 30 seconds. I started pumping and looked down and was just shocked to see so much out so quickly. I can get maybe 1-2 letdowns in a pumping session, but no more whether I pump 5 minutes or 30. I can't do much more because I have pretty sensitive nipples and the pump tends to balloon them up to cigar size after awhile, which kind of freaks me out. When I'm nursing Lauren, though, I notice that she will get letdown every few minutes. We don't have a lot of time to just sit and nurse during the day (I hear people saying they have 90 minute sessions and I am jealous. I can't imagine 90 minutes in the afternoon where the kids don't need me for something.) But sometimes in the evening I can sit for an hour watching TV and do nothing but nurse her. I like hearing her getting all that good hindmilk.

I'm been keeping up on my 64 ounces of mama's milk tea a day and taking 3 fenugreek 2-3 times a day. I'm kind of nervous to add much more, though. I need to get on a probiotic today. I went to the OB yesterday because I had a lot of pain in one part of my incision where it was kind of red, open, and draining. I have a "minor, superficial" infection. So I get to be on an antibiotic now 4x a day for 5 days. And I'm back on the Percocet awhile longer. I swear, it hurts worse now than when I was first discharged from the hospital. She told me to put hydrogen peroxide on it 3-4 times a day. It is unbearable when I put the peroxide on, so I'm back to looking at the clock and taking the Percocet every 6 hours. *sigh* Always something.

#26 of 30 Old 07-29-2010, 05:38 AM

ok, a few recommendations:

You may need a larger breast shield on your pump. Let me know if you might, and I'll send you some. (I ended up needing a smaller shield, but that's really uncommon, and someone sent me some larger ones that I won't be using.) If you're pumping with too small a shield, it can decrease your milk production dramatically.

If you're even slightly prone to yeastie beasties, call and ask your doc to call in one or two diflucan. For some antibiotics, I take one at the beginning of the course, and for some, I take one at the beginning and one at the end. You don't want to get thrush. Also, eat yogurt!

Instead of pumping longer (you mentioned 30 minutes. Yeowch!), try pumping until you can't get anymore, even with breast compressions, then stopping, waiting 5-10 minutes, and pumping again. I find that break allows me to get an additional 25% or even more. It's like a third letdown.

Ok, now that I've reread your last post, I wonder if you're not needing the smaller breast shields (really, just inserts that go in the regular size ones.) Try getting a set, and seeing if it works. Also, you can try the Soft fit shields, which, although they only come in the 24mm size, and tend to warp after a month or two, are really way more comfy than the hard plastic 24mm ones.

#27 of 30 Old 07-30-2010, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I have smaller nipple shields that I have used a couple times. I notice a bit less milk when I do that. The regular size is just a bit smaller than my areola, so when it's pumping all of it gets sucked in. I think that's about right?

Great suggestion on the timing. That does make a lot of sense. I usually don't pump much past when I don't see milk coming out. Usually a few minutes longer and then I call it quits. Next time I'll set it aside a few minutes and try again.

I have only really had a few yeast infections in my life. I think it was during my pregnancy with ds. However, that would be just about my luck, adding one more thing to deal with. I got some probiotics today that I added in to my gigantic pill regiment. I hate pills, but now I find myself taking 9 Fenugreek, 4 antibiotic, 1 probiotic, 1 iron pill, and 1 prenatal pill a day. And then my tea, which really seems to be doing something.

Today she had NO formula! I had pumped a couple ounces last night, so I had that. I nursed her this morning and noon and she was perfectly content. Then this evening we were out shopping. I nursed her a bit before we went in to the store and she got a little fussy when we'd been in there a few minutes, so I grabbed the 2 ounces of bm I had. I gave her that and she was great. Then we went to eat. I nursed her a very quick first letdown only on both sides and then we went in to the restaurant. I had her in the ring sling and she was wide awake and happy as can be through the whole meal. She did suck on her pacifier for awhile, but more just because she likes to suck. She flat out refuses to use that as a substitute when she wants to eat. She will spit it out and demand that she get fed. We got home tonight and she had a nice long session from the left side (my "good" side that produces 2-3 times what the right does) and then I changed her for bed. I was going to nurse her to sleep, but my mom brought the older kids home and I was dealing with getting them to bed and taking care of the dogs and then my incision. Dh took her to bed and right now they're cuddled up fast asleep. Guess she didn't need the right side after all.

Thank you all SO much for the advice, support, and outlet. I really needed someone to tell me that we were doing okay and to give me "btdt" stories about increasing supply. We're not where I want to be yet, but a day without formula and with long periods of being contently awake is so awesome!

#28 of 30 Old 07-30-2010, 04:45 AM

yay! That's an awesome day!

#29 of 30 Old 07-30-2010, 11:32 PM

So happy to hear about your wonderful day! Just remember, formula or no formula you're doing the best you can for your little one and are an absolutely fantastic mama!!!

#30 of 30 Old 08-03-2010, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

GAH! I know I'm probably driving you all as nuts as I'm driving myself. I had stopped stressing quite as much for a few days. I was puming 2 ounces at night while she was sleeping and giving that to her the following afternoon. She was content, having lots of awake periods, starting to hold her head up really good, and not quite as "needy" as she had been. I was feeling really good going into her appointment yesterday. I put her on the scale and waited to see how much she'd gained...she was DOWN to 7#8oz! I almost broke out in tears. The nurse asked me how much she was at birth and I was really ashamed to say 7#12oz. She didn't really say anything. She certainly wasn't judgemental or anything. She asked if I had any concerns and I said I was concerned about her weight gain, or lack thereof. She said I could talk to the doc about that and he would do testing or whatever if he thought it was necessary.

Doc came in, we discussed the general "how often do you feed her? How many wet/poo diapers, etc." He checked her over and said she looks really great. Strong and healthy, she's just "gaining weight a little slowly." Since she was 7#5oz. when we were discharged from the hospital, she has *technically* gained weight. I mentioned that my other kids were pretty skinny and even my dd1, who was formula fed from a month on, never packed on the pounds. He said there's no reason that he sees to do any labwork or anything. He said just keep doing what we're doing, supplementing as she needs it. I told him I'm trying to work up my supply and he understood that. He asked if I'd talked to the LC and I said I had and was following her recommendtations.

I was really happy he didn't ridicule me or tell me to supplement more. When Cadence was born and was jaundice, I got a bit of an anti-bf vibe from him. It might have been my perception and postpartum hormones.

I'm just going to need to make sure I'm paying attention to how often she's eating and waking her up if she naps too long. Which goes against my instincts. But I need her to start gaining weight. Today I pumped 2.5 ounces while she napped (she had eaten and was still hungry, wasn't getting anything out, and my nipples were really sore so I fed her a few ounces of formula, put some lanolin on my nipples, and pumped when I felt a letdown awhile later.) That's more than I've pumped in a long time, so something I'm doing must be working. To produce more milk anyway.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page