Food causing baby's gas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So poor little DS has been horribly gassy lately - and of course I'm wondering if it has to do with my diet and what's going into his breastmilk.

He had not been overly gassy until now - do you think it's possible that he became more sensitive to my diet recently? Can they develop this sensitivity?

Also - he's not gassy and upset after every nursing - just some (no pattern has emerged based on what I've eaten that day.) I eat lots of dairy and soy - two major culprits - so I'd assume that if that was making him gassy it would make him gassy all the time. What do you think?

I can't imagine eliminating soy and dairy - I'm a vegetarian - sigh ...

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2010, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I notice my baby seems a lot gassier since I switched from raw milk to pasteurized. But I have no idea if it's something else I've eaten or just a phase in her development. DH has been really gassy, too. Hmm.

Living happily and embracing adventures.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:34 AM
jdg

You might want to check out this article on kellymom about gassy babies.

Francesca has horrible gas for weeks. I'm guessing for her it was due to taking in too much air while nursing - I have an oversupply issue and a very forceful letdown and she was gulping in lots of air while eating.

Jackie
Old 08-15-2010, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for that link! What great info! At the same time the gassiness has come, it also seems that he's shifted into a different poopy pattern - from like 3 a day to 1 a day. (And Kellymom says infrequent poopers are more gassy ..)

I'm less and less likely to think it's the food - but I do have a theory on how he's gotten more air into his belly - my mom is in town this week and so she's been holding him a lot (which is GREAT!) but - since he's not with me and he wants to suck, he's been taking his binky more. I think he might draw in more air with the bink.

At least, that's my theory for today.

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

Old 08-16-2010, 10:48 AM

My baby seems gassy only after I eat beans, so I've put them on hold for a few months (oh, the horrors! How I love beans!).

My first two were sensitive to broccoli (but only broccoli, not cabbage or cauliflower or anything else). After about 4 months, I was able to eat it without any problems. I figure that's what will happen with the beans, too. And, in the meantime, I'm getting my burritos with rice and meat. LOL
Old 08-24-2010, 02:24 AM

My baby spits up if I eat Pizza

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

Old 08-29-2010, 06:05 PM

My little man is a puke monster and is gassy to boot. No reflux (ie, he's gaining and happy) but I'm starting to eliminate dairy today for a two week trial to see if it helps.

User Tag List