oversupply/over-active let down? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-18-2010, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I asked this in the breastfeeding forum but got no reply - so thought you lovey ladies could help ... (seems I'm full of questions/problems these days .. sigh.)

So in the past week or so DS (8 wks) has had the following symptoms:

more fussy, gassy than normal
fewer poops and more obvious discomfort from needing to poop
greenish poops
mucas-y poops

he's always been a frequent feeder, sometimes every hour - but often won't want to nurse more than 5 min or so ... and he likes to suck on his hands and binky

I just saw those as possible indicators that I might have an oversupply of milk. BUT I don't have other things - he doesn't seem fussy at the breast or splutter or pull off, he doesn't look uncomfortable while nursing (he often falls sweetly asleep), I'm not engorged, I don't leak a lot and I dont' have multiple let downs.

What do you think?? If not that, what do you think it is? What should I do?

TIA!!!

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#2 of 11 Old 08-19-2010, 11:16 AM

WYM,
I'm not much help because I don't know what that sounds like, but I think oversupply is pretty visible when babe is at the breast. My DD will open her mouth and let the milk flow out onto my belly- have to keep a towel there. Or she'll pull off and milk will spray everywhere.
Maybe your DS has some sensitivities? Has your diet changed?
#3 of 11 Old 08-19-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
My DD will open her mouth and let the milk flow out onto my belly- have to keep a towel there. Or she'll pull off and milk will spray everywhere.
This is the same for my oversupply/letdown issues. Like you, I don't become engorged and leak very frequently, but I find I pump a ton (like 5 ounces in less than five minutes) in the morning to help with these issues throughout the day. I've had good luck with an inexact version of block feeding. Have you tried that? I must have had it to some degree with the other two, but I think after a few months they get the hang of breastfeeding and my supply regulates a bit.

Mama to Noah and Sophie and Stella 7/4/ 2010
#4 of 11 Old 08-19-2010, 03:55 PM

I haven't found any love for the pump yet. Even when I am engorged from overnight's lazy feedings I can only get an ounce or two tops. Luckily Georgia would only need a bottle in emergencies cuz I don't have much in the freezer.

What is block feeding?
#5 of 11 Old 08-19-2010, 10:57 PM

This has good info on oversupply and block feeding...might be worth a try!

Mama to Noah and Sophie and Stella 7/4/ 2010
#6 of 11 Old 08-19-2010, 10:59 PM
jdg

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozeyermamma View Post
I just saw those as possible indicators that I might have an oversupply of milk. BUT I don't have other things - he doesn't seem fussy at the breast or splutter or pull off, he doesn't look uncomfortable while nursing (he often falls sweetly asleep), I'm not engorged, I don't leak a lot and I dont' have multiple let downs.

What do you think?? If not that, what do you think it is? What should I do?
I don't know what it could be, but am also chiming in to say that my oversupply was very obvious. There was milk everywhere. All the time. Crazy, crazy amounts of milk. There's no way it could have been missed!

Jackie
#7 of 11 Old 08-20-2010, 01:35 AM

I too have an over-supply issue, and have the same problems, milk everywhere, she chokes, when she pulls off during letdown, milk will squirt everywhere, I can pump 6 or more oz (per side) in about 2 min first thing in the morning (after 5 hours without nursing), ect. So I think it is obvious when there is an over supply problem, have you tired to cut out dairy? I know that is s big one for a baby's tummy problems. I'm sorry, i hope you get it figured out soon!
#8 of 11 Old 08-20-2010, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Huh - so it didn't SEEM like I had milk shooting out - but this AM I pulled him off after his first morning feed and WOW - my milk stream shot practically across the room. Like it nailed him in the eye at one point.

I guess he's taking it in - not struggling or pulling off but it's really coming out fast so it makes sense.

I'm going to try some of the things from the kellymom site. Thanks so much! I just hope I can get him less fussy and get him to stop this every hour nursing thing.

THANKS!

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#9 of 11 Old 08-27-2010, 06:31 PM

I just wanted to add that I found these pages helpful as well as kellymom.

LLLI Oversupply

LLLI Foremilk and Hindmilk

Catholic, SAHM, Married 5 yrs. love.gif, Miscarried Sept. '08 April '09 & Jan. '14, DD is almost 4, DS is 20 months-we had a wonderful homebirth.jpg, EDD early Jan, 2015! I'm also a first time foster mom to a girl-22 months. 
#10 of 11 Old 09-26-2010, 06:13 PM

ddcc from july to say that we do a version of the block feeding and it is lovely! One breast per feeding and it works great...there were a few days of adjustment but now after 6 weeks or so it is a huge difference!
#11 of 11 Old 09-27-2010, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

funny to see this thread still kicking around!

I think a lot of it resolved thanks to time and block feeding when I find myself feeling fuller. DS hasn't had a volcanic spitup in weeks and seems much less gassy!

Now it's just been a question of balancing my desire to pump every few days to have my bottles for the weekly sitter and my just-in-case-I-can-go-out milk stash. So far it seems to work to pump every 2 or 3 days for short periods - like 5 minutes or so. ANd only pump in the AM after that first feed.

Thanks again for all the advice!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page