Going back to work - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-03-2010, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone else?

I start Tuesday (day after Labor Day) I know I will enjoy it once I am back in the swing of things but for now it just makes me sad
#2 of 17 Old 09-03-2010, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Not me! But DH is giving me a hard time about "taking care of the house" when I ask him for help getting it ready to show/sell, and keeps mentioning that he's the breadwinner. It's tempting me do a lot of things...

I'm really sorry you and others have to go back and leave your babies. I could not do it, but I am thinking of finding some kind of part-time job I could take DD to.

Living happily and embracing adventures.
#3 of 17 Old 09-03-2010, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DDCC!

I'm only 10 weeks along, but already agonizing over this moment that you are entering into. I just signed my unborn baby up on a waiting list for childcare Last time around it was soooooo hard. I am hoping (hoping hoping!!) that it will be a little easier this time, but... ugh.

Anyway, I feel for you. It certainly does get easier, but it is so so very hard.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#4 of 17 Old 09-03-2010, 08:29 PM

I'm heading back on the 13th. Zoey was born in late May, so we've had almost 3 1/2 wonderful months of me being a SAHM. I'm pretty much an emotional wreck and wish there was some way I could afford to stay home longer. Unfortunately, I earn the majority of our family's income and we just can't afford for me to stay home any longer (DH and I joke that I bring home the bacon and he brings home the bacon bits). On the plus side, Zoey won't have to go into daycare. DH put off his paternity leave so he can stay home with her for the next three months after which a much loved and trusted niece is going to be our nanny.

Pacificbliss... Are you going to be pumping at work? I'm really concerned about keeping up my supply and wonder how pumping will fit into my workday.

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

#5 of 17 Old 09-04-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabee View Post
Not me! But DH is giving me a hard time about "taking care of the house" when I ask him for help getting it ready to show/sell, and keeps mentioning that he's the breadwinner. It's tempting me do a lot of things...

I'm really sorry you and others have to go back and leave your babies. I could not do it, but I am thinking of finding some kind of part-time job I could take DD to.
That would be a dream job. Sorry your DH is being a little jerky about it. Where I live high quality infant care is almost $400/week. Maybe you could mention that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
DDCC!

I'm only 10 weeks along, but already agonizing over this moment that you are entering into. I just signed my unborn baby up on a waiting list for childcare Last time around it was soooooo hard. I am hoping (hoping hoping!!) that it will be a little easier this time, but... ugh.

Anyway, I feel for you. It certainly does get easier, but it is so so very hard.
I am not finding it easier the second time around. Sorry. Congratulations on the pregnancy! I hope it's a happy and healthy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolleLynne View Post
I'm heading back on the 13th. Zoey was born in late May, so we've had almost 3 1/2 wonderful months of me being a SAHM. I'm pretty much an emotional wreck and wish there was some way I could afford to stay home longer. Unfortunately, I earn the majority of our family's income and we just can't afford for me to stay home any longer (DH and I joke that I bring home the bacon and he brings home the bacon bits). On the plus side, Zoey won't have to go into daycare. DH put off his paternity leave so he can stay home with her for the next three months after which a much loved and trusted niece is going to be our nanny.

Pacificbliss... Are you going to be pumping at work? I'm really concerned about keeping up my supply and wonder how pumping will fit into my workday.
I like my job and DS loves his daycare. DD loved her trial day too so I know it will be ok. It's. Just. So. Hard.

Yes, I will be pumping. I did it for 18 months with DS. I found I had to pump a couple times/day to keep supply up. I had a colleague who was also pumping but she was supplementing with formula. Whenever we were together for meetings she would say things like, " I just don't understand why you have to pump so often. How do you ever find the time?" She would say this in front of my boss. Fortunately he had kids and his wife bf so he just thought our colleague was an indiscreet idiot. I travel a lot to see clients so there will be lots of pumping in cars and airports. What do you do?
#6 of 17 Old 09-05-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificbliss View Post
Yes, I will be pumping. I did it for 18 months with DS. I found I had to pump a couple times/day to keep supply up. I had a colleague who was also pumping but she was supplementing with formula. Whenever we were together for meetings she would say things like, " I just don't understand why you have to pump so often. How do you ever find the time?" She would say this in front of my boss. Fortunately he had kids and his wife bf so he just thought our colleague was an indiscreet idiot. I travel a lot to see clients so there will be lots of pumping in cars and airports. What do you do?
I'm a visual effects artist so I'm pretty much stationary at my computer all day. I still haven't decided if I'll try to pump at my desk or use the lactation room. Work can get pretty stressful and I don't want to be away from my desk too long. I'm a little worried about how long it takes me to pump. Right now, I need about 30 minutes to get a full bottle, plus the time it takes to wash the shields, bottles, etc... Any tips for speeding up pumping time would be much appreciated!

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

#7 of 17 Old 09-05-2010, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

NicolleLynne The first thng i would recommend is that you use the lactation room. I pump much faster if I relax. Take a picture of Zoey in there with you and think of her. Give yourself permission to take this time. If you want to read or flip through a magazine get a sports bra and cut slits in it. I find I pump faster if I'm not trying to bang out email while I pump.
#8 of 17 Old 09-05-2010, 07:23 PM
jdg

I went back 1/2 time when Francesca was 8 weeks old. When Cesca is 16 weeks, I'll be going back full time - only one more week! I actually go pretty crazy without work, it's really important to me, so I was excited to go back and I'm excited about returning to full time.

And it's all proven to be easier than I figured. I make plenty of milk for the pump, Cesca takes bottles really well, and I feel "refreshed" and ready to be with her all evening when I'm done with work!

Jackie
#9 of 17 Old 09-06-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
I went back 1/2 time when Francesca was 8 weeks old. When Cesca is 16 weeks, I'll be going back full time - only one more week! I actually go pretty crazy without work, it's really important to me, so I was excited to go back and I'm excited about returning to full time.

And it's all proven to be easier than I figured. I make plenty of milk for the pump, Cesca takes bottles really well, and I feel "refreshed" and ready to be with her all evening when I'm done with work!

Part of me is looking forward to going back too.
#10 of 17 Old 09-07-2010, 03:07 PM

I'll be going back - sort of - next week. I work from home (I'm a writer) and I hired a sitter to come in one afternoon a week! She's perfect - only problem is that she's pregnant herself so I'll need to look for someone else in a few months.

Right now I can only afford to hire her one day - once work picks back up hopefully I can do two or 3. We really need the money! I'm really bad at letting my babies fuss with someone else if I'm around so I have to rearrange my workstation so that I'm out of earshot.

I'm excited to get back to my clients, but worried that I won't make enough to make it worthwhile - I'm planning that I'll operate at a loss for at least the first month. Yuck.

*Fingers crossed* that the economy gets better.

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#11 of 17 Old 09-07-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificbliss View Post
NicolleLynne The first thng i would recommend is that you use the lactation room. I pump much faster if I relax. Take a picture of Zoey in there with you and think of her. Give yourself permission to take this time. If you want to read or flip through a magazine get a sports bra and cut slits in it. I find I pump faster if I'm not trying to bang out email while I pump.
Thanks so much for the tips Pacificbliss. I know that going back to work won't be so stressful for me if pumping goes well.

I have so many mixed feelings about the whole thing. First and foremost, I know that if I didn't have to go back, I wouldn't... I want to stay home with Zoey. I do really enjoy my job, however and am looking forward to the work, reconnecting with colleagues and of course, the paycheck. Oh well, we do what we must right? Here's to making the best of it!

#12 of 17 Old 09-08-2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
I'm a little worried about how long it takes me to pump. Right now, I need about 30 minutes to get a full bottle, plus the time it takes to wash the shields, bottles, etc... Any tips for speeding up pumping time would be much appreciated!
DDCC

Breastmilk is stable at room temp for 6 hours, so you can skip the washing if you are comfortable with that. I just did a quick rinse, then threw the whole kit into the fridge until my next session. I also have two complete sets of parts so one could be in the dishwasher at home while I was using the other. I also multitasked when pumping ( usually my email) because if I focused on how much milk I was producing it stressed me out and slowed the letdown. Finally, make sure you can do hands free. It makes a world of difference. I used rubber bands around the bra strap to hold the horns. Good luck and I hope your first day back went smoothly.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#13 of 17 Old 09-10-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post
DDCC

Breastmilk is stable at room temp for 6 hours, so you can skip the washing if you are comfortable with that. I just did a quick rinse, then threw the whole kit into the fridge until my next session. I also have two complete sets of parts so one could be in the dishwasher at home while I was using the other. I also multitasked when pumping ( usually my email) because if I focused on how much milk I was producing it stressed me out and slowed the letdown. Finally, make sure you can do hands free. It makes a world of difference. I used rubber bands around the bra strap to hold the horns. Good luck and I hope your first day back went smoothly.
Thank you so much for the tips! I tend to be a bit on the anxious side so I think it will definitely help to multitask a bit and focus on something other than Zoey or how much I'm producing. A watched bottle never fills!

#14 of 17 Old 09-11-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I survived the first week. Pumping went well an was mostly done in the car.
#15 of 17 Old 09-24-2010, 08:00 PM

Coming to the end of my second week back to work. It's actually been okay. Monday's are the worst and the mornings... It's hard to walk out the door without my little one but once I get to work I'm usually alright. As much as I miss being with my baby, there are some nice things about working, spending time with friends and colleagues, the paycheck, getting to go to the bathroom whenever I feel like it...

Pumping is going alright. I use the lactation room or my office and my boss has been really understanding about my needing to take the time.

Would I stay home if I could? Definitely! But working isn't as bad as I thought it would be and the time I do spend with Zoey is a thousand times more precious. I have her in my arms from Friday night to Monday morning!

#16 of 17 Old 09-30-2010, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Coming to the end of my second week back to work. It's actually been okay. Monday's are the worst and the mornings... It's hard to walk out the door without my little one but once I get to work I'm usually alright. As much as I miss being with my baby, there are some nice things about working, spending time with friends and colleagues, the paycheck, getting to go to the bathroom whenever I feel like it...

Pumping is going alright. I use the lactation room or my office and my boss has been really understanding about my needing to take the time.

Would I stay home if I could? Definitely! But working isn't as bad as I thought it would be and the time I do spend with Zoey is a thousand times more precious. I have her in my arms from Friday night to Monday morning!
I am glad it's going ok. It has been ok for me too
#17 of 17 Old 10-12-2010, 08:23 PM

Ugh, I went back to teaching community college at just 7 weeks post-partum. Hard to believe that was 8 weeks ago already! As you might imagine, the past weeks have been a blur. And that's also why I haven't been on mothering.com for a while either - life is too, too hectic.

Thankfully, I can go nurse DS2 between classes, so I haven't had to pump too much. I typically just pump once or twice a day to be sure he has milk at daycare if he needs it. That will change next semester, however, because I won't have a gap between classes and I'll have to pump at work and make sure he has more for daycare. Good luck to everyone who has to go back to work, sooner or later. Wish we could all stay home a cuddle with our babes!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page