Anybody Else "Telling" for Christmas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-24-2009, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my parents and my best friend know our good news. But my siblings, children, and extended family have been kept out of the loop thus far, mainly because I wasn't ready to tell my kids yet, and also because I feel like I've been adjusting to the idea of a fourth child myself.

Dh and I had planned to tell everyone at Christmas, since we'll be with most of our family then. Plus, I'm 10 weeks now and I won't have my girlish figure forever! We're not sure how we're going to do it, but I had thought it might be cute to come with an extra stocking or something.

Anyone else "telling" at Christmas? Any cute ideas?

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#2 of 16 Old 12-24-2009, 09:09 AM

We finally told last night when everyone arrived for Christmas--didn't wait until Christmas day b/c I'm totally showing at 12wks!

dd #1 11/15/07 and dd #2 unplanned and so glad the midwife was on her way!
#3 of 16 Old 12-24-2009, 09:40 AM

Me!

I sent my mom & sister (they live together) a joint Christmas present - it's a picture frame with 4 spots for pictures. I put the current three grandchildren in the first three and then in the fourth I put "Reserved For Baby _____ Arriving July 2010". She opened it right away when she got it (long story, no big deal) so she knows. For my other sister, I sent her children a joint gift from their baby cousin which they opened last night so they all know. And today we are telling MIL, FIL, and DH's grandmother - no big cutsie way of doing it or anything.

Praying that it goes well. We have had some difficulties with MIL lately. She adores (adored?) her first two grandchildren but hasn't been herself lately

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

#4 of 16 Old 12-24-2009, 01:19 PM

We'll tell MIL and FIL on Christmas, after swearing them to secrecy. No cutsie way, though -- we just plan to call them.

#5 of 16 Old 12-24-2009, 01:30 PM

We already told parents (and my sister, who was around and saw me not drink wine on Thanksgiving).

Nobody else finds out until we get a heartbeat.

(That is, assuming my maternity store bag doesn't get noticed by my stepdaughter's mom today...)

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#6 of 16 Old 12-26-2009, 10:59 AM

well my mom knows and dh and thats it.. I was going to tell at christmas but chickened out

I told my DH that I would tell after my NT scan and we had it last monday.. Im just so nervous since we had 2 late first tri losses last yr.. I am most afraid to tell my kids (mainly older dd) and my inlaws for their terrible reaction whne I lost my first MC

So I guess maybe I will tell in a few weeks

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
#7 of 16 Old 12-26-2009, 04:48 PM

We told lots of family yesterday. Responses as we expected, unfortunately. My mother said she fainted, suggested I would need a new job (to afford it) and then said that her friend she was wish said congratulations. Later she said it was just hard to accept b/c we were so far away, and if I lived there she would be immediately excited. Hmmm....
Dh's mother said "You know, you are crazy." This was said not as a joke but as a serious accusation. When I tried to make light of it and say "No crazier than you!" (b/c she has 5 kids too!) she replied "Well, no, b/c my last was twins and they weren't planned." ohhkaay...
Wierd selfish grandmothers.

At least some of our siblings and friends are excited. I swear, if my dh's excited sweet SIL hadn't been there last night after MIL's response, I would've probably fallen apart.

But it's a relief the cat is out of the bag...kids are excited and we are too, and that's all that really matters.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#8 of 16 Old 12-26-2009, 05:40 PM
MJB

Popping in from the Aug DDC (if my baby comes a few days early like my other two did, it'll be a July babe, so I might be in here from time to time).
We told our parents on Xmas with a picture frame, too! One pic of each boy and the third frame just said "August 3, 2010". They all called as soon as they opened them and were so excited! And then I told my best friend, and my husband told a couple friends, and the news is spreading around. It was such a fun Xmas surprise! Also, we told the kids a few days before Xmas (to make sure they found out before the grandparents) by giving them a wrapped diaper and onesie. My 4yo asked for "a real baby" and kept insisting, a couple months ago, that we "make him a baby brother or sister!"
#9 of 16 Old 12-26-2009, 05:50 PM

I ended up telling my family on christmas, even though I hadn't planned it that way. It's been a secret for awhile now and I just wanted to be able to relax and let my gut out! everyone's reaction was positive, even the inlaws.. lol..
#10 of 16 Old 12-26-2009, 06:04 PM

Yup! We told Dh's family (mine already knew but they are far away, Dh's family is right here about a mile away...ALL of them)

So we told dd in the morning after dss left. I feel bad for not telling him but he was only with us for 24 hours (her week, we had CM eve this year) and I didn't want it fresh on his mind when he goes to her house, don't really need her knowing. We will tell him on Monday.

DD wore a shirt *Original, I know* that I made on the comp. It said Big Sister to be, with her name. So when we got to my mil"s house she told her to read her shirt. She was kind of confused (English is not her first language so maybe that's why) when she read it out-loud my SIL started freaking out and crying in the kitchen, it was really funny. She almost choked on what she was eating. Everyone was so happy for us and my mil kept saying, we're going to have a baby!!! I was really nervous but happy with the reaction.

So the cat's out of the bag! I actually feel relieved that DD knows so I can explain why I need to lay down some days.

I'm sorry for those of you who have negative reactions. People are so weird sometimes.

Artist, teacher, wife and mommy to DSS, DD1, DD2 and surprise baby girl on the way, 7/12!

#11 of 16 Old 12-26-2009, 06:45 PM

We told my FIL and it was fun!! The rest of our family has known for a couple weeks.

boo to those who are not excited and supportive of pregnancies and babies!! bah humbug to them!

mama to dd 2x Our sweet boy is here! 7/27
#12 of 16 Old 12-26-2009, 08:06 PM

My IF told his family on Christmas. Just a toast to the family and announced the news. His sister just had twins too, so it was an awesome shock to everyone that another set of twins is coming. Everyone was thrilled and a lot of people cried.

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#13 of 16 Old 12-26-2009, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So exciting and lovely to hear the positive responses!

To those who had negatives So weird how people can be. My family AND dh's are very excited EXCEPT my grandmother, who is very very difficult and negative. First she made a rude crack at me, but didn't even acknowledge my pregnancy. When we were talking at Thanksgiving with my family about deciding that we want to conceive a third child, she was full of doom-gloom and insult.

Thank goodness the rest of the family is soooooooo supportive, excited and happy.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#14 of 16 Old 12-28-2009, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

So we told everyone, and I was surprised at how positive the reactions were. My brothers' jaw about hit the floor, but he didn't say anything stupid. And my FIL was very sweet about it, too. We didn't end up doing anything cute to tell, we just let my five-year-old dd announce it. The kids themselves were pretty much unfazed, but at their ages that's to be expected!

I'm so glad most of you had positive experiences, and for those who didn't, at least you can come here and get some support when the folks in your life are clueless.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#15 of 16 Old 12-28-2009, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We told both of our immediate families as soon as everyone was together on xmas day. And I was the only one to cry!! LOL DP poured a round of champagne for everyone (heavily juiced mimosas for me and the kids) and as the toast said something about next year at this time we'll have 1 more in our family.

My mom wasn't nearly as surprised as I expected - apparently she had visited "her" fortune teller last summer and been told she would be a grandmother. She and my aunt just assumed the lady meant my DSD! Speaking of DSD - she says good night to my belly every night LOL

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#16 of 16 Old 12-28-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonalee View Post
My mom wasn't nearly as surprised as I expected - apparently she had visited "her" fortune teller last summer and been told she would be a grandmother.
My MIL apparently knew too, because a tarot card reader told her we were having another one. She was just waiting for us to tell her! Crazy,eh?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page