let's talk diapers? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 116 Old 02-04-2010, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I read the thread and it looks like they're made in China. It makes sense to me that they're sold from B.C. which is right on the Pacific Ocean. At any rate, I think I'm going to get some because we are really watching our bottom line here ($$$ eek!!!!!) so these make sense for our family. I just can't afford $17/pair or $25/pair for bumgenius or whatever!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#92 of 116 Old 02-04-2010, 05:13 PM

Some people were talking about the suede cloth bothering their babies skin but microfleece is okay. Does anyone have experience with that and their child? How will I know if the suede cloth will bother my child's skin beforehand? (rhetorical)

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#93 of 116 Old 02-04-2010, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, they are made in China. So are the Bummis covers that I like, though, and these are a fraction of the price.

I just saw that she now has bamboo minky AIO's. I might try to switch my order over to that just because I like the colors better. I am always concerned about wicking with a natural fiber outer layer, though.

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

#94 of 116 Old 02-04-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
I just checked the little lions, and while I wish I could order from them, the shipping for $12.95 set of 12 flats was $19.00!
Lame! I'm so sorry you're striking out on the flats.

If you had someone buy them stateside and ship them to you, would it make the price justifiable?

For pocket dipes, I like the look of the Happy Heiny's the best lately. I really don't think that we're going to need too many of the "user friendly" diapers, coz dp seems pretty open to doing the prefolds or whatever other crazy idea I come up with.

His mom just realized I'm on the CD bandwagon, and she's super-excited and wants me to send her links, I didn't know it but apparently she has a soft spot for organic cotton . . . so I'm going to send the disana page her way; those are the ones that I like the most but can't really justify the price because I know I could make something similar out of tshirts . . . but if we got a handful of the disanas then I could trace out the pattern and make it bigger for tie-on wool covers; now that would be nice! One size woolies; I'm dreaming! The Little Beetle company has OS wool covers, but wow $35 a piece! So maybe MIL will help us out there, and that would be quite a blessing.

Happy and in love with my family!
#95 of 116 Old 02-04-2010, 05:37 PM

MAJA!!!
http://www.extraordinarybabyshoppe.c...c-prefolds.htm
Is that a good deal? they are canada side so I know they ship canadian!
#96 of 116 Old 02-04-2010, 06:48 PM

http://clothdiaperclearance.com/cata...p?category=458

I just called them and someone answered the phone and all my questions! Too good to be true, except that they are in wisconsin...so not great for me

the shipping to canada for 2 dozen prefolds was $14.81. They ship by weight. I bet this site has good deals for my american sisters though!

Happy shopping everyone!

ETA: I just did the math and to order 2 dozen prefolds, it would cost me $46.81 american including the shipping(+taxes I'm guessing) versus $70candollars for 2dozens. Mind you, the canadian ones are organic but still, there is a significant cost difference. Hmmm...

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#97 of 116 Old 02-04-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakaikai View Post
http://clothdiaperclearance.com/cata...p?category=458

I just called them and someone answered the phone and all my questions! Too good to be true, except that they are in wisconsin...so not great for me

the shipping to canada for 2 dozen prefolds was $14.81. They ship by weight. I bet this site has good deals for my american sisters though!

Happy shopping everyone!

ETA: I just did the math and to order 2 dozen prefolds, it would cost me $46.81 american including the shipping(+taxes I'm guessing) versus $70candollars for 2dozens. Mind you, the canadian ones are organic but still, there is a significant cost difference. Hmmm...
Wow, the price difference on diapers is blowing my mind! Prefolds are so cheap here.

At least you gals get the good deal on your prenatal care, though! I think I'd trade you out, diapers for medical

#98 of 116 Old 02-04-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Some people were talking about the suede cloth bothering their babies skin but microfleece is okay. Does anyone have experience with that and their child?
I primarily use sueadecloth, and so so most folks I know. I have never heard of it causing a problem aside from one babe and he was allergic to most things synthetic. It is the most functional inner I have sewn with. The microfleece is very stretchy and can be tricky when sewing to the non-stretchy outer. I also love minkee, but it is too expensive for using all of the time. My kids have both had their share of minkee inners too though!
#99 of 116 Old 02-05-2010, 03:52 PM

We used sposies for DS, mainly because we had insane costs attached to the laundry facility in our apartment complex. I researched it long enough to figure out the financial aspect, but never really got into the types of diapers and such.

This time, we're doing cloth from day one. I have my heart set on it so much because I really feel like I missed out when we didn't cloth diaper with DS.

I'm hoping to have around 24-36 diapers in each of my stashes, as we do have to pay for laundry still. This time we have somewhere to hang the diapers to dry outdoors, so that will be nice.

Thus far I have:
8 prefolds (bought from another Mama)
8 fitteds (WAHM's, bought from another Mama)
5 other random diapers (one thirsties, one thirsties AIO, a Happy Heiny, Bumkins, and a monkey doodlez)

I'd like to have a variety of brands in my first stash (the newborn) so I can really see what brands I love and which ones work for us.

DH is on board, and actually started commenting on how cute some of the diapers really were

As someone who had done disposables, I have to say, this cloth diaper bit is not nearly as complicated as I thought it would be. In fact, with the AIO's out there, the work is almost identical to the work you do with sposies, and really, you won't be throwing out your money every single time the baby pees or poops.
#100 of 116 Old 02-05-2010, 08:51 PM

They really are cute, aren't they?

#101 of 116 Old 02-08-2010, 10:33 AM

x-posted in the diapering forum:

I've been sifting through soooo much info about diapers I think I've burned out more than a few brain cells. And I've started to drive my DH crazy...after telling him about these Happy Heinys I'm looking at he said something like, "but I thought you already decided on those furry cheeks...or kissy bums...you know the ones with the all-in-one organic snuggly gussets?"

Anyhoo- I'm considering buying a bunch of Happy Heiny Mini One-size diapers for our coming babe. I wanted to go straight to a one-size but after reading so much about how one-size diapers rarely fit newborns well, I thought these seemed a good option. But I haven't found many reviews on them.

Has anyone used these? Good points/ bad points? Know where to get a good deal on them? Is there a better alternative?
Help me end this diaper madness!

Thanks in advance for your wise input!

OH- and how many of these pocket dipes should I get?
I've read on websites varying information- that I'll need anywhere from 12-24 dipes doing laundry every day (which I tend to do anyway and don't mind at all). Which is it? 12? 15? 24? I don't have a dryer, but I hang my laundry outside here- constant sunshine, air so dry it sucks the moisture out of everything, and blazing heat for 9 mos of the year. So things dry REALLY quickly.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#102 of 116 Old 02-08-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View Post
x-posted in the diapering forum:

I've been sifting through soooo much info about diapers I think I've burned out more than a few brain cells. And I've started to drive my DH crazy...after telling him about these Happy Heinys I'm looking at he said something like, "but I thought you already decided on those furry cheeks...or kissy bums...you know the ones with the all-in-one organic snuggly gussets?"

Anyhoo- I'm considering buying a bunch of Happy Heiny Mini One-size diapers for our coming babe. I wanted to go straight to a one-size but after reading so much about how one-size diapers rarely fit newborns well, I thought these seemed a good option. But I haven't found many reviews on them.

Has anyone used these? Good points/ bad points? Know where to get a good deal on them? Is there a better alternative?
Help me end this diaper madness!

Thanks in advance for your wise input!

OH- and how many of these pocket dipes should I get?
I've read on websites varying information- that I'll need anywhere from 12-24 dipes doing laundry every day (which I tend to do anyway and don't mind at all). Which is it? 12? 15? 24? I don't have a dryer, but I hang my laundry outside here- constant sunshine, air so dry it sucks the moisture out of everything, and blazing heat for 9 mos of the year. So things dry REALLY quickly.
hehe...at least your dh knows sometime of name...my dh is just done hearing about it and could care less silly man...doesn't he understand the cute snuggly love that is a cloth diaper?
I hate to say this as well but a dear friend has a 1.5 yearold dd and she is still compulsivly buying diapers...hehe.
http://www.diaperpin.com/diapers/itemdetail.asp?ID=1736
I think the minis are the exact same as the regulars but just smaller. They seem like they would be a really great fit...
I do not know if you plan to nurse but if you do my experience is that dd pooped EVERY time I nursed her for the first 2months or so. So she went through 12-14diapers a day. I would think maybe 18-20 diapers would be good if you are washing daily.
good luck!
#103 of 116 Old 02-08-2010, 04:10 PM

My husband is a SAHD. We agreed we wanted to do cloth before baby #1 was born, but after she arrived it just felt like too much. He has such a hard time managing to do any housekeeping at all . . . I shudder to think what would happen if he had to handle cloth dipes.

So we are not green at all with the diapers. With dd we used Huggies and with ds we used Pampers (dd's sensitive skin did not like the fragrance they put on Pampers). Ideally, we would use cloth, but it just isn't something we've been able to work out, and I've made my peace with that.

GL to all the ECing and CDing mamas!
#104 of 116 Old 02-08-2010, 04:19 PM

Just had a thought...what about something like the goodmama newborn fitteds? for babies 5-15 lbs. They are a fitted so at night/naps/going out you would need a cover. They have a REALLY good resale value as well. From what I see the happy heinys are about 18 a piece and the goodmamas are 20...
#105 of 116 Old 02-08-2010, 05:39 PM

We had 13 pocket diapers the first time we used them, with baby number 3, and then by baby number 4 we had 18. More diapers just means you can go more time without washing them. We just washed when we were down to a couple left, and they made one good load. Air dry the covers no matter what they tell you, they will last longer that way.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#106 of 116 Old 02-08-2010, 05:51 PM

I got my nb prorap seconds in the mail today!! Yay!! I'm going to order Indian prefolds to go with and a couple dappi pants, and I think we'll be good for the nb stage.

I originally wanted to go directly to OS dipes, too, but since they don't fit well til abt 10 lbs, we're just going to do a batch of prefolds and covers at the beginning, then probably switch to the "real stash" of half OS dipes and half prefolds/flats in covers. So I guess I need snappis if we're going to have some pull-on covers.

Little Beetle has OS wool covers! How cool is that?

My dream stash (right now) 6 disana tie-ons, 6 babykicks OS hemp, 3 LB wool OS covers, some mom made covers and dappi pants, and then fill that in with a mix of pf/flats and "user-friendly" pocket dipes like the happy heinys. I'm aiming for 24-36 total, but I want a varied stash, not all one brand/style. But all one-size, that just seems more economical to me.

#107 of 116 Old 02-08-2010, 07:03 PM

expat mama I was the same way with Dillon, it was sooo confusing! There are just so many kinds!

I really honestly think getting all of one thing before the baby is born is a bad idea unless it's prefolds, since those are pretty much one size fits all. If you go to the big diapering message board (not sure if I'm allowed to mention it here, LOL) for every 3 people you see who LOVE goodmamas or whatever, there is at least 1 who cannot get them to fit right and end up going with something else. My friend insisted on getting a full stash of Motherease AIO's, which worked for two months, then she switched to BG's, which worked for a while, then she switched to Cuddlebuns and covers. I had a variety from the beginning and was able to figure out first of all what I liked vs what everyone *told* me I was going to like, and second what would work with DS's body type.

I hate prefolds and pockets and fleece, love fitteds and PUL, like wool but only at home because of the bulk, and love AI2's but not AIO's. I wouldn't know any of that except I tried ALL of them, LOL. And some things, like pockets, I only dislike because my washer ended up hating them and the stink got ridiculous.

I think several diaper retailers have a variety pack where they send you an entire newborn stash and you have several of a bunch of things to try out. That sounds like an ideal solution to me, otherwise the "too many choices" thing overwhelms me.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#108 of 116 Old 02-11-2010, 11:49 PM

I am just checking back in to tell you all that my order for Kawaii One-size snap pockets came in. They are nicer than I expected! I have sewn some of these before, so I know good stitching and quality fabrics. I think that these have both. I am washing up three of them and will test them out on my two year old overnight before I open the other 17 packages. I got a total of 20 diapers for $128 -- including shipping. If these work, I might cave in and get 10 more of the new bamboo minky ones she has. Not that I need more diapers, but these will round out my stash. I have hemp/cotton fitteds for newborns and 6-18 months along with prefolds for all ages and prefolds I converted to trainers. I haven't had any pockets and I think this will be a nice option.

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

#109 of 116 Old 02-12-2010, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbyard View Post
I am just checking back in to tell you all that my order for Kawaii One-size snap pockets came in. They are nicer than I expected! I have sewn some of these before, so I know good stitching and quality fabrics. I think that these have both. I am washing up three of them and will test them out on my two year old overnight before I open the other 17 packages. I got a total of 20 diapers for $128 -- including shipping. If these work, I might cave in and get 10 more of the new bamboo minky ones she has. Not that I need more diapers, but these will round out my stash. I have hemp/cotton fitteds for newborns and 6-18 months along with prefolds for all ages and prefolds I converted to trainers. I haven't had any pockets and I think this will be a nice option.
cool! I might buy some for backup.
#110 of 116 Old 02-12-2010, 10:32 AM

I just wanted to let you all know that I just bought a babyology wool cover a few weeks ago and have been trying it out on DD. It works great! Absolutely no leaking at night and DD is a major peer at night. Anyway, I just ordered her another one and I plan on getting this little one a few too... actually I am thinking about going all wool with this one now. These woolies are amazing and the price isnt to bad either.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#111 of 116 Old 02-12-2010, 12:13 PM

Wool is so amazing -- I agree! I'll have to check out the babyology ones. I think my next knitting project will be some cute wool shorties.

#112 of 116 Old 02-12-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I am just checking back in to tell you all that my order for Kawaii One-size snap pockets came in. They are nicer than I expected! I have sewn some of these before, so I know good stitching and quality fabrics.
Ah great news. I ordered some too, plus the bamboo minky ones and some diaper covers. On the diaperswappers.com website these diapers have gotten great reviews. I actually ordered the bamboo minky ones and the covers on ebay where I caught a deal even better than what they offer on the website! They should be arriving any day now....

I got some new and nearly new cloth diapers from freecycle, plus I have about 8 prefolds my SIL gave me when dd1 was born. Can't wait for the covers to come though so I can put dd2 in them for nighttime. I've had enough of disposables.

#113 of 116 Old 02-13-2010, 08:26 AM

So my bamboo minky Kawaii's arrived today. They are GREAT! I washed them out a couple of times and let the covers air dry, while the liners went in the dryer. I even used one of them on dd2 this evening. It worked GREAT. I am soooooo happy!

#114 of 116 Old 02-13-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Wool is so amazing -- I agree! I'll have to check out the babyology ones. I think my next knitting project will be some cute wool shorties.
I am a new knitter, I am hoping I will get good enough to make a wool cover and longies!

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#115 of 116 Old 02-14-2010, 01:21 PM

I use Gdiapers, best of both worlds!
At home I use cloth inserts, and when we're out I use the disposable/flushable/compostable liners.

For the first few weeks I was scared of "tar poop" so I used disposables, but it wasn't too bad, so this next baby we will use Gdiapers from the start.

Momma to DD1 Shiala (01/06/09) and DD2 Adaline (07/16/10)
Breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, VBACing, and loving every minute
#116 of 116 Old 02-14-2010, 01:51 PM

yay, surfacing! I am glad you like them. I am now a pocket lover. I tried them with my first and hated them. Now, though, with an older child, I am loving these! I am using them as overnight diapers right now since she is potty training during the day. They really do have a stay-dry feel and are so easy for diaper changes when you pre-stuff them out of the dryer. I am ordering up some of the minkys now.

Chase_mommy, diaper covers are the perfect project for improving your knitting skills. I actually learned to knit just so that I could make diaper covers. I would drool over everyone's homemade woolies on the diapering board and just had to make it work. I threw my needles across the room MANY times and gave up a couple of times before I finally committed and got it down. Now, I love to knit and look for challenging patterns. I totally self-taught through the website www.knittinghelp.com
Check it out. The little turtle knits diaper cover pattern and picky pants are great, by the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page