am I gaining too much? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2010, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I am 16 wks 1 day today. Had my monthly appt this morning (where I had to wait 35 minutes despite the MW being in the office and me being the first appt of the day ) and I think I've gained 15 lbs already. I keep hearing 25 - 30 lbs gain is what to aim for. And I had assumed more of that would be the 2nd half of the pregnancy, but maybe I'm wrong? Have I gained too much or am I being silly? I know I wasn't eating well (ok, I was eating pretty badly) the past month and that's probably why I'm worried.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First, is it 15 pounds on *their* scale or on your scale--if you are going by your starting weight at your home scale a few months ago and your new weight at the office, that could be easily off by 10 pounds.

Second, how thin are you to begin with? Really slender women often gain A LOT at first as their bodies need more fat stores. I really think that our bodies know how much to gain, and that for each woman it is different. If you are slim, even if you don't *feel* skinny, that number may be higher. If you are eating a normal-ish diet and getting some (any!) activity, your body will decide how much you need to gain. Keeping giving yourself plenty of healthy foods and don't try to worry so much about the numbers. I know several women who gained far more than 30 pounds who lost it way quicker than those who only gained 15 or so.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:31 PM

Unless you are eating donuts and ice cream and white bread for calories, do not pay attention to the number. Some women gain 60 pounds, are super healthy, and lose it later. Some gain less than 20 overall. Everyone is so different that averages are misleading.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

Old 02-03-2010, 09:38 PM

I really don't pay attention to weight gain if the diet is healthy. If you are eating poorly, I would change your diet. Nutrition is very important. My last pregnancy, I gained 60lbs and didn't eat that well. This time, I am eating well and I am more active and have only gained 5lbs - I am 19 weeks.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
Unless you are eating donuts and ice cream and white bread for calories, do not pay attention to the number. Some women gain 60 pounds, are super healthy, and lose it later. Some gain less than 20 overall. Everyone is so different that averages are misleading.
Mmmm.... donuts... it's a good thing we don't have cell phones, dh is at the store right now...

Even if you have gained "too much" weight this early in the game you can still even it out later. Don't try to hold yourself to a norm.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcooper View Post
I really don't pay attention to weight gain if the diet is healthy. If you are eating poorly, I would change your diet. Nutrition is very important. My last pregnancy, I gained 60lbs and didn't eat that well. This time, I am eating well and I am more active and have only gained 5lbs - I am 19 weeks.

I gained about 60lbs or so my first pregnancy. I ate terribly and way too much. I was also very lazy. This time I am eating really well (following Brewer's mostly) and exercising and I am 6lbs up at 17 weeks. My thoughts on weight gain are that if you are gaining the weight eating big macs (or other fast food or processed foods and sugar) it is very different from gaining the same amount eating nutritious whole foods. Numbers wise I don't really think you have gained too much but what is the quality of that gain?

Amy, Army wife living in S. Korea, mama to my inverted t c/s baby 04.05.08 and my VBAC with inverted t baby 07.24.10
Old 02-03-2010, 10:35 PM

I'm due date crashing because I happened to see your post.

I'm only 8 weeks today and I've gained at least 10 pounds. I've been eating bagels with cream cheese, muffins, Chinese food and recently, Egg McMuffins. I'm really concerned about my weight gain. My pre-pregnancy diet was a very lowfat vegan diet!

So I appreciate the advice (even though it wasn't directed at me). I'm going to focus on eating healthier foods and exercising more. I didn't have this problem with my first child so I'm not sure what's different this time around (other than I'm older).

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
Old 02-04-2010, 02:08 AM

I know how concerning it can be to see those scale numbers rise so quickly! I'm in a similar situation. I gained 17 pounds, but I gained it by about 10 weeks or so. But I was very thin before, so thin, I wasn't ovulating or getting a period. I quit working out, gained enough weight to ovulate, got pg, then thought I would just gain 5 lbs in the first tri like everyone else. Yeah right. My body was starving, and I was extremely nauseous and would throw up if I didn't eat(and I still throw up if I don't eat). And I needed lots of fatty, greasy food was the only thing that calmed my tummy. Hence the weight gain. Which was really embarrassing, and I still stuggle with. I'm now at 18 weeks, and haven't gained since 10 weeks, but that is because I keep telling my body "no", because I really don't want to gain much more until 24 weeks or so, then I'll be caught up with the "recommended" weight gain. Idk, my midwife was really happy with my weight gain, and said that at 14 weeks pg, I'm finally at a normal weight for an average non-pg person, but it's still really hard, especially when you feel like your body wants everything that is horribly bad for you!
I don't know if that's any help for you or not, but if anything I just want you to know that I can empathize!

First time Mama, in love with my DH and we're in LOVE with our baby girl!!!
mdcblog5.gif
Old 02-04-2010, 04:00 AM

With my first, I started at 105 (I'm only 5'1") and was super healthy, eating more fruits and veggies and less junk than I usually do. I gained 50 lbs. I was back down to 100 when I got pg this time and I had already gained 14 lbs. at my last visit, which was 15w. The dr. my first pg and the mw this time aren't at all concerned with my weight gain. Even though the "average" gain is like 25-30, some people should gain less and some need more. I decided my body and my babies just need me to pack on the pounds. I'm actually more confident about my body after going through all the changes of pregnancy. One tip for weight loss though-breastfeeding works wonders!

"I'm so crafty, I make people" DD (01/06) and her much anticipated sibling (07/10) with my sweet DH (07/02)
Old 02-04-2010, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I gained 50 lbs with my first pregnancy, was 206 lbs giving birth, and had trouble losing it all (a pesky 25-30lbs kept hanging around). Second pregnancy I gained less but was still at 206 lbs when I gave birth. Both pregnancies I FELT SOOOO HUNGRY. This time around I feel less hungry in the second trimester, infact sometimes hardly hungry at all. I've gained about 9 lbs in the last 17 weeks. I'm at 188 lbs and am 5'4".

For me somehow I've always gained weight while breastfeeding.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 02-04-2010, 11:54 AM

It makes me sad that some of you think you shouldn't eat. it makes me sad when I have friends who do this irl to "lose weight". You are growing a baby and preparing your body for a marathon! You need to gain weight. It is unhealthy to do anything else.

Giving birth and then if you are nursing you will be supply a whole other persons calories permeal with your own body EVERY 3 HOURS. If you were thin to begin with you will NEED TO EAT!!! If your body is sending hungry signals and you just ate a meal, pull out the carrots and dip or an apple or a cheese stick! I keep hard boiled eggs in my fridge for those exact moments.

I gained 70lbs last time around eating pints of custard and bags of doritos dipped in nacho cheese. I was still eating fruits and veg thank goodness but I ate a ton of CRAP CRAP CRAP. This time I am in a better place and have been eating a ton of real food for a year (my new years res last year.) and was so sick my first tri I lost 8 lbs. Ok on me because I was 20lbs from my ideal high weight but since then I have only gained 2. I am 17.5 weeks and eat when I am hungry.

For those of you truly concerned and intrested there is a site www.fitday.com . You can put in what your daily activity level is, track exactly what you ate and it will run all the tallies for you, including what vitamins/mineral percentages you ate! It also has a graph that you can add additinal excersise too that will tell you what your calories consumed as opposed to your calories put out. There is no setting for pregnancy but my daily goal is just to have either a minor descrepency or to break even. For weighing a 180lbs at 5'9 I burn with a pretty low activity level (its cold here! Only working out a bit) 2,500 calories a DAY!!!! And they are not including that I am preggers there.

Sorry for the rant but I have a dear friend right now who is preggers and starving herself and I literally cry and the sadness of it....If you are hungry eat something healthy that will fuel your body and your growing baby and you will gain the weight you are supposed to gain.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:36 PM

:

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 02-04-2010, 02:25 PM

"If your body is sending hungry signals and you just ate a meal, pull out the carrots and dip or an apple or a cheese stick! I keep hard boiled eggs in my fridge for those exact moments."

SO true! This is what I have been slacking on for the past two weeks. I am almost 20 weeks now and I hadn't gained any weight by week 17. Well, according to the scale this morning, I have gained 9.5 pounds in 3 weeks! I know that that is not all baby and because I have been so incredibly hungry. I also don't believe in starving yourself or ignoring/quashing the hunger pains. I know that I am hungry for good reason.

I am normally a very conscientious, healthy eater. I follow Weston A. Price with a few exceptions. Well, aside from still eating my sprouted, home-ground grains and nuts, that's been out the window the past few weeks. I had a birthday party for my girls and ended up with lots of leftover "snacks." I have eaten more chips in the past few weeks than I have in the last year! It's maddening, but the only thing that gets me to stop eating these days is something heavy and greasy.

I really need to just keep munching on veggies and fruits until my body finally gets the message that it is full and nourished. Otherwise, these pounds are going to get pretty ridiculous.

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:38 PM

I am new to all this, but I agree- don't starve yourself, eat healthy, and relax!

I'm 19 weeks and I've gained about 10-11 lbs since the day I found out I was pregnant. That's a lot of weight for me as I'm only 5-4 and very short waisted. As far as official pregnancy weight-gain, I don't know if that's good or bad but as long as I'm eating healthy and feeling good and my doctor says the baby is also doing fine, that's all I care about for now. I gain weight easily, but I also lose it easily and there will be a time when I will put the work in to lose the weight- but that time is not now.

I'm determined to focus on being healthy and happy, not on someone else's idea of how much weight I "should" gain or how I should feel about how I look or how much I weigh. I love my new round shape- it's amazing! And I'm not just talking about my belly- my boobs, my bum, my hips- they've all grown and I feel like one of those medieval paintings of how women used to be thought of as beautiful.

Feel good about yourselves, your bodies, and your babies! I really believe that as long as you are healthy, it's the best thing you can do.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

Old 02-04-2010, 02:41 PM

I've gained about 10 pounds and I'm currently 17 weeks.

It's more than I wanted to gain at this point, but I still get soooo nauseous if my stomach doesn't constantly have food in it. Also, for some reason, for the longest time, water was gross to me. I had to have juice, milk, soda. So that definitely contributed to the weight gain. Before I got pregnant, I NEVER drank anything but water. I'm trying to go back to the water and leave out the high-calorie drinks now.

What worries me the most is that I hear from some people (probably people TRYING to freak me out) that women gain a lot of weight toward the end. Those of you who aren't first-time mothers, is that true?
Old 02-04-2010, 03:03 PM

Well, this is my third. I know that I gain at least 1 pound a week during the last 20 weeks. That's the only reason that these 3.5 pound weekly gains have been concerning me. One thing that will slow down, though, is the constant hunger. I think that we are all in the phase where the baby is having a huge growth spurt. That really causes you to have the appetite to match. When you are further along and the baby is growing at a more steady pace, most of us will have a less erratic appetite. Also, your poor stomach is so squished that you really can't eat much at a time without having extreme discomfort or heartburn. So, while we'll be gaining more steadily, I think that this feeling of "out of control, endless hunger" will cease. When you aren't so frantic to eat SOMETHING, you can make healthier, more rational food choices, you know?

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:07 PM

DDCC from June (due June 1st)

I'm a 2nd time mama.

With DD i started at 98kg (which is overweight for me, though not quite obese i don't think, or maybe just into obese, i'm 5'11"). At 11weeks i was 95kg (due to the nausea? Maybe, i was NOT eating well at that point, anything which tasted ok got eaten because not much tasted good). At 34weeks i was...95kg. No, i'm not kidding. I gained NOTHING. At term i was 101kg, so i did gain at the end, BUT i was 95kg again 4 days post partum so i really think that 6kg was water/baby/placenta/amniotic fluid/etc. By 4 months PP (with a thyroid issue, though it was under, not over active) i was 75kg or so, thanks to many factors, mainly BFing and stress (i recommed the former and NOT the latter!).

THIS time i began at 88 or 89kg (i'd been 83kg for about 2 years, but 2 pregnancies and losses before i concieved this time and poor eating/lack of exercise in between had piled a bunch back on). I am 23 weeks right now and since about 18 weeks i've been 95kg. It just piled on to that level and then suddenly stopped. During the last 23 weeks i've had periods of eating really well and periods of eating terribly, and neither seems to make a whole lot of difference. It seems my body needed to be 95kg to be pregnant. Now the weight gain seems to have slowed, but i'm now settled (we've been buying and moving house) and i can eat well and exercise i have stopped weighing at all, in fact we ditched the scales at the old house!

I know it's really hard, especially when it's your first, but your body DOES know what it's doing. If you're hungry it's because your body and your baby need FOOD. So eat. Eat healthily by all means, but DO eat.

I personally am aiming to be 80kg by the time this baby is 12months old. I have no idea how hard or easy it will be this time, but i know it's possible! LOL. In the meantime i'm being honest with myself about my nutrition (not pretending chocolate has nutritional value!) and enjoying my food. You only get 9 months with each little one where you can nurture them like you are, so eat up mama's!
Old 02-04-2010, 03:21 PM

crbyard..I find I need to eat some fat to really satisfy me...I am sure you get that doing wapf but I eat hummus with veggies or peanutbutter with apples...it helps it stick kwim?
Yhannah...Yes I gained more weight at the last 20 then the first 20 but you have to remember that from 20-40weeks is when your baby goes from weighing 8oz to weighly more then 7lbs. Plus your uterous is growing and filling and refilling with more fluid everyday plus your blood volume increases, plus by the time you deliver your uterous weighs 3lbs (roughly) Plus the placenta...so really at least 12-15lbs you gain in your last 20weeks are baby and fluids and things that you have no control over. Plus think of the energy your body needs to create the fluids, grow your uterous, your baby, make 2 hearts beat and 2 sets of organs work properly.Not to mention having to actually grow them?
Have you ever donated blood? You feel a bit sluggish for a day or so afterwards...and thats only a pint. Being pregnant your body increases the amount of blood in your body by roughly 50%!!! Thats roughly an extra 5 pints of blood your body creates! Plus a pregnant womens cells actually try to retain and hold more fluids while pregnant. In the few days after you give birth most women roughly pee 3 QUARTS of urine a day generally you only pee 1 quart!
Remember healthy eating does not make you gain weight/get fat. Eating too much of anything (especailly junk) will make you gain unhealthy weight. Eating when hungry and eating to fullness will not make you unhealthy or cause unnesecessary weight gain.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavybrains View Post
First, is it 15 pounds on *their* scale or on your scale--if you are going by your starting weight at your home scale a few months ago and your new weight at the office, that could be easily off by 10 pounds.
It's compared from their scale at my first appointment, which was at 8 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAnnThrope View Post
Even if you have gained "too much" weight this early in the game you can still even it out later. Don't try to hold yourself to a norm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amynf1 View Post
: I ate terribly and way too much. I was also very lazy. ... My thoughts on weight gain are that if you are gaining the weight eating big macs (or other fast food or processed foods and sugar) it is very different from gaining the same amount eating nutritious whole foods. Numbers wise I don't really think you have gained too much but what is the quality of that gain?
The quality of that gain was not good, and I think that's mostly why I'm worried. There were a few weeks where all I wanted where McD Angus burgers, there were the Chicago hot dog cravings, the trips to the gyros place, and never never forget the fries. Or the ice cream. Sigh. It's like all the bad food habits I trained myself (mostly) out of during a successful Weight Watchers run have returned with a vengeance. BUT DP is helping me and we're really focusing on a balanced diet now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Wins View Post
And I needed lots of fatty, greasy food was the only thing that calmed my tummy.
YES!! This is me, right here. And that did not help either. When I don't feel good digestion wise, I SWEAR healthy things make me feel worse and a plain McD hamburger (yeah, Mcd is a weakness) helps so much. Maybe because it's just so bland ... I don't know, but this has pretty much always been true for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHannahh View Post
Also, for some reason, for the longest time, water was gross to me.
Me too! I used to add the "True Orange/Lemon/Lime" to my water, which is just crystalized citrus, but I can't stand it now, and plain water honestly makes me gag! What's with that?! So now I drink watered down juice occasionally, Canfields lightly flavored carbonated water (all natural), and I buy the Life Water (Sobe?) that is sweetened with something natural that I can't remember right now. I put an ounce or 2 per 16 oz of water (I have a measured water bottle) and drink 2 - 3 of those a day.

So, yeah, I've been eating bad and not exercising. We're focusing on eating better to start. If I'm craving fat I'm to eat avocado or hummus or peanut butter. Fries and ice cream are to be portioned per week (not giving those up!). Burgers are only veggie or buffalo. A glass of milk and a glass of V8 a day. I'm so glad it's not too late. Thanks for all the support Mamas!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
Old 02-05-2010, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHannahh View Post
I've gained about 10 pounds and I'm currently 17 weeks.

It's more than I wanted to gain at this point, but I still get soooo nauseous if my stomach doesn't constantly have food in it. Also, for some reason, for the longest time, water was gross to me. I had to have juice, milk, soda. So that definitely contributed to the weight gain. Before I got pregnant, I NEVER drank anything but water. I'm trying to go back to the water and leave out the high-calorie drinks now.

What worries me the most is that I hear from some people (probably people TRYING to freak me out) that women gain a lot of weight toward the end. Those of you who aren't first-time mothers, is that true?
Yes and no. One thing to keep in mind is that early on, you gain the fat stores and nutrition necessary to sustain the pregnancy. Towards the end, you gain more water weight, increased blood volume, and true "baby" weight as the baby grows. This is the weight that comes off quickly after delivery in my experience and that of my friends. Also, weight gain slows down in the final weeks as baby's growth slows down a little and your appetite decreases as you run out of stomach room. For me, I gained most of my weight between weeks 25-35. But, both last time and this time, I started overweight. I've gained zero pounds at 17 weeks, but I'm not dieting, and this is similar to the pattern I followed with DD. Don't fall into the trap of thinking "I gained 3.5 pounds the last 3 weeks, I'm going to keep that up." It varies so much, and doesn't necessarily speed up. I've seen several friends gain the bulk of their pregnancy weight by 22 weeks (like 30 pounds worth!) and then only add an additional few pounds in the latter part of pregnancy. Every mother is different.

I personally also know two mothers who counted calories religiously while pregnant and ended up with low birth weight babies, one of which had symptoms of growth restriction. Obviously other factors play into this, but this is not a situation you want.

Finally, I hear you on water being gross. I had this up until a few weeks ago. I do about 2 tablespoons of 100% juice (pure cranberry is nice and low in sugar) in 2 cups of water and that's enough to take the edge off. Lemon, lime, and orange slices also add minimal calories. Fizzy water (seltzer) helps me too.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Yes and no. One thing to keep in mind is that early on, you gain the fat stores and nutrition necessary to sustain the pregnancy. Towards the end, you gain more water weight, increased blood volume, and true "baby" weight as the baby grows. This is the weight that comes off quickly after delivery in my experience and that of my friends. Also, weight gain slows down in the final weeks as baby's growth slows down a little and your appetite decreases as you run out of stomach room. For me, I gained most of my weight between weeks 25-35. But, both last time and this time, I started overweight. I've gained zero pounds at 17 weeks, but I'm not dieting, and this is similar to the pattern I followed with DD. Don't fall into the trap of thinking "I gained 3.5 pounds the last 3 weeks, I'm going to keep that up." It varies so much, and doesn't necessarily speed up. I've seen several friends gain the bulk of their pregnancy weight by 22 weeks (like 30 pounds worth!) and then only add an additional few pounds in the latter part of pregnancy. Every mother is different.

I personally also know two mothers who counted calories religiously while pregnant and ended up with low birth weight babies, one of which had symptoms of growth restriction. Obviously other factors play into this, but this is not a situation you want.
Finally, I hear you on water being gross. I had this up until a few weeks ago. I do about 2 tablespoons of 100% juice (pure cranberry is nice and low in sugar) in 2 cups of water and that's enough to take the edge off. Lemon, lime, and orange slices also add minimal calories. Fizzy water (seltzer) helps me too.
It does vary so very much...some weeks a lot more then others...its odd.

I know of 3 mothers who were very picky about thier weight gain (one who actually wept when she had gained 5lbs TOTAL at 30 weeks) and all of thier childern have some kind of autism or learning disability(diagnosed not just what I think). I am sure that the reason is because they did not gain enough during pregnancy.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:37 PM

Oh, for heaven's sake. Eat nutritious food when you're hungry, natural foods. When you're not hungry, don't eat. Get enough rest, a little exercise, drink water. Throw the scale away. Our bodies have been doing this for centuries. They know what they're doing. There's always time to gain strength and lose weight again after. There's more to life than being slim!!!!!

I'll get off my soap box now. This was not directed at anyone in particular.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
Oh, for heaven's sake. Eat nutritious food when you're hungry, natural foods. When you're not hungry, don't eat. Get enough rest, a little exercise, drink water. Throw the scale away. Our bodies have been doing this for centuries. They know what they're doing. There's always time to gain strength and lose weight again after. There's more to life than being slim!!!!!

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
Old 02-06-2010, 06:43 PM

While we really shouldn't give ourselves a hard time in the weight department, I have to admit that I'm completely overwhelmed by my weight gain. Pre-pg I was on the skinny side. I have now gained 24 lbs. Looking at my Mutterpaß (=mother's pass) where the doctor/midwife keeps track of EVERYTHING - I see that I gained most of my weight in the second trimester. I didn't gain a single pound in the first trimester at all. And in the last 5 weeks I only gained 4.5 lbs. But that was me, that was 10 years ago and that was a completely different body. I was really skinny and sporty and still managed to put on 40 lbs. It looks a lot like I'm headed in that direction again. But then, I lost a good portion of the weight pretty fast and was able to wear most of my regular jeans/shorts about a month after birth - It took me FOREVER though to get rid of my tummy and my thickened upper arms.
Still I'm worried this time around because I live on the 4th floor with no elevator. I don't need to be carrying around excess weight. I'm really, REALLY worried about not leaving the house if I get too huge.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

Old 02-06-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post
Still I'm worried this time around because I live on the 4th floor with no elevator. I don't need to be carrying around excess weight. I'm really, REALLY worried about not leaving the house if I get too huge.
Actually, I would think that if you keep going out, that doing those stairs will keep your weight gain to whatever your body truly needs. Now obviously, at 9 months pregnant, those stairs are going to be mountainous, and you will want to take it sanely, but I think they actually might be a blessing for you. The fact that you lost the bulk of your weight so quickly last time says that your body knows what it is doing. Trust it, and embrace those stairs too
Old 02-06-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Actually, I would think that if you keep going out, that doing those stairs will keep your weight gain to whatever your body truly needs. Now obviously, at 9 months pregnant, those stairs are going to be mountainous, and you will want to take it sanely, but I think they actually might be a blessing for you. The fact that you lost the bulk of your weight so quickly last time says that your body knows what it is doing. Trust it, and embrace those stairs too
Hehe, yeah, at the moment I'm making a point of taking the stairs 4 times a day. And as far as my body knowing what's it's doing . . . I sure hope it remembers!!! It's been a loooong time since the last time.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

Old 02-06-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh View Post
I second that

Amy, Army wife living in S. Korea, mama to my inverted t c/s baby 04.05.08 and my VBAC with inverted t baby 07.24.10
Old 02-06-2010, 10:48 PM

"Oh, for heaven's sake. Eat nutritious food when you're hungry, natural foods. When you're not hungry, don't eat. Get enough rest, a little exercise, drink water. Throw the scale away. Our bodies have been doing this for centuries. They know what they're doing. There's always time to gain strength and lose weight again after. There's more to life than being slim!!!!!"

Of course, we all agree. The problem is, with the hormones and the nausea and the fatigue, it is sometimes REALLY difficult to make these common-sense choices. I think that that is what the OP and others have been looking for support with. How can we get beyond our impulses and keep on track with what we know are our best choices?

I certainly think that we need to listen to our bodies and eat, but there is a point when I need to tell the voice in my head that it is NOT good for me or my baby to finish an entire bag of potato chips after I already caved into a pint of ice cream. That is the struggle that I am having, at least. I want to make sure that I am nourishing myself and my baby with food, not just eating to satisfy my emotional cravings.

Yes, there is far more to life than being slim. I am not worried about looking svelte at 9 months pregnant. I am concerned about creating preventable health problems through irresponsibly catering to every one of my cravings. I don't want to lose the opportunity to birth at home due to gestational diabetes, for example. If you are beginning your pregnancy overweight, I think that this is even more of a concern. Weight can and does create higher risk pregnancies that can end in unwanted interventions. I don't look at the OP's question of "am I gaining too much" from a perspective of vanity, but of health.

Something that my midwife stresses to me is that the baby will find a way to get what it needs. If I don't get enough calcium in my diet, the baby will not stop developing bones. Rather, the baby will draw from the calcium in my bones. It is my long-term health will suffer. She really wants me to take care of myself as well as the baby. It's not about calorie-counting. It's about countering our hormonal craziness in a time when it is easy to "just let it slide" in the name of pregnancy.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbyard View Post
"Oh, for heaven's sake. Eat nutritious food when you're hungry, natural foods. When you're not hungry, don't eat. Get enough rest, a little exercise, drink water. Throw the scale away. Our bodies have been doing this for centuries. They know what they're doing. There's always time to gain strength and lose weight again after. There's more to life than being slim!!!!!"

Of course, we all agree. The problem is, with the hormones and the nausea and the fatigue, it is sometimes REALLY difficult to make these common-sense choices. I think that that is what the OP and others have been looking for support with. How can we get beyond our impulses and keep on track with what we know are our best choices?
I certainly think that we need to listen to our bodies and eat, but there is a point when I need to tell the voice in my head that it is NOT good for me or my baby to finish an entire bag of potato chips after I already caved into a pint of ice cream. That is the struggle that I am having, at least. I want to make sure that I am nourishing myself and my baby with food, not just eating to satisfy my emotional cravings.

Something that my midwife stresses to me is that the baby will find a way to get what it needs. If I don't get enough calcium in my diet, the baby will not stop developing bones. Rather, the baby will draw from the calcium in my bones. It is my long-term health will suffer. She really wants me to take care of myself as well as the baby. It's not about calorie-counting. It's about countering our hormonal craziness in a time when it is easy to "just let it slide" in the name of pregnancy.
The things I highlight seem to answer your questions for yourself. I will NOT say that I do not want to eat the entire peach cobbler I just made but I know I will not do my body any favors by consuming that much sugar. I do put foods away out of sight. Candies are on a top corner shelf cabinet that is unreachable unless I scale my counters. If I want to eat some chocolate/chips/other annonyomous junk then I do. My rule for myself however is that if I want some kind of sweets then I eat a piece of fruit first. If I want some kind of chips/crazy carbs then I eat a vegtable with hummus or ranch first. By doing this I satisfy what my body wants (natural sugars, fibers good vitamins etc) and satisfy what my brain really wants (doritos, custard, and large amounts of gummy candy). I will only eat one bite or a tiny portion size however and I try really hard to savor every bite of junk food I eat. I find I eat a lot less junk (one gummy worm instead of 22) and I do not feel deprived.
I also try to "save up" treats. I have a girls movie night on tuesday nights so on sunday and monday when I want some kind of sugar/junk food I tell myself I can eat whatever/however much I want on tuesday. And I do, I buy whatever candy I want and eat as much as I want during the movie. I have learned to eat it slowly and enjoy it though because too much junkfood and sugar really do affect my body in horrible ways.
I also spend the money and buy myself cherries and nectarines even though they are crazy expensive because I love them and it stops me from eating junk when I am eating those things.
However with all that said I am not suffering nausea any longer I am going to be 18 weeks on monday and it has slowly subsided. I ate very little during my first tri and not all of it great. I am making up for it now by eating as well as I possibly can and trying to make the right choices every day. It is a constant battle to eat the right things and not cave into just having this or that. I just take it a day at a time and I do not feel like I have failed at life if one day I eat like total crapola (like I will tomorrow at the superbowl). I just pick up the next day and try to eat properly.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:02 AM

I gained about 65lbs with DD and lost it all by the time she was 9 months old--even lost about 5lbs more. DD was only 7lbs 5oz and I didn't get GD or anything like that.

So far I'm 19wks and have gained about 15lbs, so I think I will end up gaining less this time. Of course, this time around I am chasing a 2 year old so I'm way more active than I was the first time.

But both times I have eaten about 75% healthy and 25% crap. I am just not going to beat myself up because I'm going to Wendy's once a week, or having juice with dinner. I am having really strong aversions to vegetables and I'm just not going to make myself feel bad about that.

One thing that is different is that I've gone a little bit down the TF route, and we're using whole milk dairy products instead of reduced fat. It takes a lot less to fill me up. A small bowl of granola with cream top yogurt keeps me full for hours.

I had the crazy insane hunger with DD and I haven't had that yet, but I also can't remember when it started.

dd #1 11/15/07 and dd #2 unplanned and so glad the midwife was on her way!

User Tag List